D1-2 Descent to the Depths of the Earth
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:46 pm 

belial418 wrote:Hey--isnt that "Hawkeyes" mask--from the Avengers?the guy with the bow and arrow?

Possibly, but with the rectangular eyeholes I'm thinking it's probably an old-style Iron Man helmet.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:54 pm 

The question mark above represents the rune I've been unable to locate. It is the rune that looks like a Greek Sigma. It might be a misdrawn rune Sowulo (Sun). Seems redundant to say "sun" and then "day" or "daylight".

Anyone recognize the missing rune?

I had the most difficulty with that rune as well. I came up with a meaning in a kind of round about way.

I found that rune on a site with lists Gothenburg / Bohuslän Runes
Runic alphabets / Runes / Futhark.
It did not list a meaning but indicated that it represented the letter S. As the letter S represented SUN in most of the other rune alphabets I used that meaning. It also seemed to fit with the anti-light/happiness theme that the message seems to be trying to convey.

Cheers,
Curt

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:22 pm 

oh, I've been dozy on this one...

(*looks up Steve Marsh's article "A view of Runes, as seen from Elaikases's Tower"; 1st Jan 1978 issue*)

The closest representation in the table included gives that (exactly as depicted, but in reversed form) as "sugil" in Gothic Runes; = "sun".
*nods to Curt*

Hrr... apologies for my lateness on the thread.

(Thanks, Stephen).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:48 am 

Desuma_Malevois wrote:
belial418 wrote:Hey--isnt that "Hawkeyes" mask--from the Avengers?the guy with the bow and arrow?

Possibly, but with the rectangular eyeholes I'm thinking it's probably an old-style Iron Man helmet.

Actually, I think it is Hawkeye's mask . . . I am pretty sure none of the old style Iron Man helmets had "points" on the top.

. . . sigh . . . I can't believe it never occurred to me to make a one time adventure where Marvel characters went to a D&D world . . . after all, I played enough Dungeons & Dragons and Marvel Super-Heroes RPG.

It would work out great!

- Captain America would be a Paladin with a +5 Shield of Returning

- Hawkeye could be a Ranger with arrows that take on various magical effects: Flame,   explosions, noxious gas, sleep, etc.

- Dr. Strange would, of course, be the Magic-User

- Professor X could be a Psionicist

- Wolverine a Berserker Warrior with Vorpal Claws

- Spider-Man has Giant Class strength and the permanent effects of "web", "jump" and "spider-climb". . .  plus "ESP".

- How about a cleric . . . Shaman from Alpha Flight would make a kickin' Druid.

Only they would all have to learn to kill for once and not just leave everyone unconscious.

Ummm . . . Sorry to stray off-topic . . .    8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:39 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:
Desuma_Malevois wrote:

Actually, I think it is Hawkeye's mask . . . I am pretty sure none of the old style Iron Man helmets had "points" on the top.

Check the covers of Tales of Suspense #s 51 & 53 (and I'm sure there are other instances around that time period). In addition, Hawkeye's mask had an "H" on the forehead.

Previous