Lost Tales of Myth Drannor
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:52 am 

I would like a little insight here on this item. I would like to obtain a copy, but at a reasonable price.

Below are links to the sold listings, which range from $130 to $200. Two of these auctions stated a part of the proceeds would go to a "charity" and they both are relatively low feedback eBay accounts.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Feedback = 47 & Charity in Description

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Feedback = 37 & Charity in Description

Here are the current listings (see below), but one of these states that part of the proceeds would go to "charity" and they are also a low feedback account.

Bidders with 8 & 9 Feedback scores going at it, driving the price to astronomical levels

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Feedback = 0 & Charity in Description

So my question is, what is the deal with this item being sold by low feedback eBay accounts AND the descriptions say that part of the proceeds go to charity. I have been burned recently in the past 9 months, so I am getting more cautious and something just doesn't "feel" right about this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:26 pm 

10 of these were offered for sale on the Facebook RPG auctions site (all proceeds to charity) and these lasted all of 30min.  It was offered at $150.00.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:06 pm 

Hi Blackmoor (Stephen IIRC?),

Is there a correlation between this published material and proceeds going to charity? Just curious why other sellers would be following suit, other than just "copy cat" listings, even though the charities differ.

In researching this, I did see that there was "supposed to be" a POD version, but nothing yet. Another member here said it is coming, which I would be happy to wait for. No need to spend $150+ if I can obtain one for $20-25 ;-)

Thank you - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm 

I do a lot with organizing the Adventurers' League here in Philadelphia, and these have come up from time to time at events.  They are always either given away for free or are auctioned off live at the event with the proceeds going to charity.  I have seen a lot of people disparaging the sales of these in AL circles online (which is primarily facebook).  My guess is that the sellers know about this and are saying the proceeds are going to charity, truly or not, because of the comments from the AL community who are the most likely group of people to be after a copy of this.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:26 pm 

nesbit37 wrote in Lost Tales of Myth Drannor:I do a lot with organizing the Adventurers' League here in Philadelphia, and these have come up from time to time at events.  They are always either given away for free or are auctioned off live at the event with the proceeds going to charity.  I have seen a lot of people disparaging the sales of these in AL circles online (which is primarily facebook).  My guess is that the sellers know about this and are saying the proceeds are going to charity, truly or not, because of the comments from the AL community who are the most likely group of people to be after a copy of this.

Hi Nesbit,
Your insight makes some sense, but I guess what I'm getting at is tantamount to "price fixing". When I see somewhat rare items listed by sellers with low feedback scores and the bidders driving the price up are also low feedback score accounts, then I begin to question, especially when there is a pattern.

I urge anyone coming to this thread to check out the one that just ended 04/13/18 for $365.00 (both bidders have 8 & 9 feedback scores respectively ... driving the price up). Not sure if either one will consummate the sale, but they definitely pushed the price up.

Currently, there are two more active listings:
The one in the US is from a zero (o) feedback seller and the bidders have an 8 & 0 feedback score, but the item is up to $305 already with 4 days & 12 hours left  :roll:
The other listing is in Canada. The seller has a 7 feedback score and the one bidder is from the $365.00 one, who did not win.

I'm just saying that this just does not make sense. If they were given away for free or sold for $150 thru the Facebook page or are auctioned off, there is a basis for this item, but now they are going for $300+ Either there is something we don't know (e.g. These will never be released as a POD item) or a few are trying to push the price as high as it can go in the hopes of selling the ones they got for free or at auction, at a premium.

Thank you - Paul

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:46 am 

PM-Knight wrote in Lost Tales of Myth Drannor:I'm just saying that this just does not make sense. If they were given away for free or sold for $150 thru the Facebook page or are auctioned off, there is a basis for this item, but now they are going for $300+ Either there is something we don't know (e.g. These will never be released as a POD item) or a few are trying to push the price as high as it can go in the hopes of selling the ones they got for free or at auction, at a premium.

I have no idea if it would have an impact on the price, but my recollection is that the PoD version of Lost Tales will not be quite the same as the limited-run original print version, as it will include some errata and minor updates. Are there enough 5th Edition collectors for that distinction to push up the price? I wouldn't have thought so. But it is why I paid more than I should have for a copy.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:33 pm 

There isn't a ton of 5e stuff right now that I would say is truly collectible.  Adventure wise its this, the Ghost of Dragonspear Castle and The Cloud Giant's Bargain.  Everything else I would say that is collectible for 5e is essentially ephemera related the Adventurers' League.  Gifts given out to DMs for running at cons, item/location/pet certs, and thats about it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am 

nesbit37 wrote in Lost Tales of Myth Drannor:There isn't a ton of 5e stuff right now that I would say is truly collectible.  Adventure wise its this, the Ghost of Dragonspear Castle and The Cloud Giant's Bargain.  Everything else I would say that is collectible for 5e is essentially ephemera related the Adventurers' League.  Gifts given out to DMs for running at cons, item/location/pet certs, and thats about it.

Cloud Giant's Bargain was grossly overprinted. EBay is littered with them at $4 to $6... I'm not sure it will ever attain collectible status. The limited edition hardcovers definitely are collectible though. Volo's Guides are regularly selling well over $100 (often up to $200) and Xanathar's Guide is creeping on up too.