Violating Copyrights?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Active Collector

Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
Last Visit: May 18, 2005

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:19 pm 
 

Hi-

I would like to create NPC's for DM's who lack the time to do such things, kinda like Just in Time when you order products and my question is:

Would I be violating copy rights? It would be just a word document with no art, just a stat block.

thanks

Scott

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:46 pm 
 

sgt scott wrote:Hi-

I would like to create NPC's for DM's who lack the time to do such things, kinda like Just in Time when you order products and my question is:

Would I be violating copy rights? It would be just a word document with no art, just a stat block.

thanks

Scott


Hey Sgt. Scott, welcome to the forum  :) . As long as your are creating NPC's on your own of your own imagination (or own die rolls for that matter) and not stealing ones that have already been created and printed in written form by WotC or anybody else, then you would not be violating any copyrights.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Active Collector

Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
Last Visit: May 18, 2005

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:34 pm 
 

Hi-

Thanks for the reply; my plan is to create NPC's for the hurried DM from scratch and at a nominal fee. Then I'll e-mail the documents in word format. So for example, lets say joe snuffy requests 10 special NPC's for his game, I check to see if I have the books I will need to hand craft such NPC's and then e-mail Joe Snuffy back that it can or can not be done plus my fee if it can be done.

No art work, just detailed stat blocks of requested NPC. I figure, I have some time on my hands, why not make a few bucks making time consuming NPC stat blocks for other people.

Scott

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:44 pm 
 

sgt scott wrote:Hi-

Thanks for the reply; my plan is to create NPC's for the hurried DM from scratch and at a nominal fee. Then I'll e-mail the documents in word format. So for example, lets say joe snuffy requests 10 special NPC's for his game, I check to see if I have the books I will need to hand craft such NPC's and then e-mail Joe Snuffy back that it can or can not be done plus my fee if it can be done.

No art work, just detailed stat blocks of requested NPC. I figure, I have some time on my hands, why not make a few bucks making time consuming NPC stat blocks for other people.

Scott

Just as a note though, and even though we talk a lot about Ebay's inaction on a lot of things, it is against Ebay's rules to sell things and sending them out by emails. They probably would never even notice or even care if they did notice, but you never can tell with Ebay :roll: .


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Active Collector

Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
Last Visit: May 18, 2005

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:51 pm 
 

Hi ya-

Nope, no ebay involved here, all I would do is advertise on verious D&D boards see'ing if anybody would like such a service.

I avoid eBay sellers with tons of negs like the plague, I dont care how low the price is.

anyway take care

Scott

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:54 pm 
 

sgt scott wrote:Hi ya-

Nope, no ebay involved here, all I would do is advertise on verious D&D boards see'ing if anybody would like such a service.

I avoid eBay sellers with tons of negs like the plague, I dont care how low the price is.

anyway take care

Scott


In that circumstance you shouldn't have any problems at all  :D ,


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:58 pm 
 

sgt scott wrote:Hi-

I would like to create NPC's for DM's who lack the time to do such things, kinda like Just in Time when you order products and my question is:

Would I be violating copy rights? It would be just a word document with no art, just a stat block.

thanks

Scott

Umm...I don't see any way this would violate copyright.  Potentially if you tried hard enough, you could infringe on WoTC's trademarks, but you'd have to do something really foolish like put "Official Dungeons and Dragons (TM)" on them...maybe even that wouldn't be bad enough.

Good luck with your business, but how lazy are DM's these days  :?: Sheesh.

 YIM  


Active Collector

Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
Last Visit: May 18, 2005

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:10 pm 
 

Hi-

Well, if I saw a service asking to make custome NPC's, heck I'd jump on it in a hart beat. BUT the service has to be within SRD standards, no selling of WoTC materiel outside of their published SRD.

Also, its not that DM's are lazy, its that D&D 3.5 is very complicated.

Scott

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6168
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:18 pm 
 

sgt scott wrote:Hi-

Well, if I saw a service asking to make custome NPC's, heck I'd jump on it in a hart beat. BUT the service has to be within SRD standards, no selling of WoTC materiel outside of their published SRD.

Also, its not that DM's are lazy, its that D&D 3.5 is very complicated.

Scott


I know a lot of the members here are active xD&D players and DM's. How many or you guys would order a block of NPCs for an online retailer?

Alas, I do not play at the moment. It's been a while. :(


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:30 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
sgt scott wrote:Hi-

Well, if I saw a service asking to make custome NPC's, heck I'd jump on it in a hart beat. BUT the service has to be within SRD standards, no selling of WoTC materiel outside of their published SRD.

Also, its not that DM's are lazy, its that D&D 3.5 is very complicated.

Scott


I know a lot of the members here are active xD&D players and DM's. How many or you guys would order a block of NPCs for an online retailer?

Alas, I do not play at the moment. It's been a while. :(


ROLL UP AN NPC??!!! :)

its role-play my friends - i adlib all the way - far less hassle and far quicker. The NPC's serve a purpose for me and then go their merry lil ways :)

good idea tho - should i ever need some, i will mail scott and sort something.

:D



  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 905
Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 09, 2015
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:21 am 
 

sgt scott wrote:Hi-

Well, if I saw a service asking to make custome NPC's, heck I'd jump on it in a hart beat. BUT the service has to be within SRD standards, no selling of WoTC materiel outside of their published SRD.

Also, its not that DM's are lazy, its that D&D 3.5 is very complicated.

Scott


Well, if you take a look at the official errata for the NPC stat blocks in the Return to the TOEE, you should probably offer your service to WOTC directly.  :twisted:


- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)



  


Active Collector

Posts: 92
Joined: Oct 07, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 04, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:50 am 
 

As long as you work within the framwork fo the SRD then you should have n oproblem because you are using Open Source material. Conversely, you coudl instead claim you are actually selling services as a consultant for D&D groups, and making NPCs falls within your duties.

If the Copyright thing were to come up.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
Last Visit: May 18, 2005

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:08 pm 
 

Shingen wrote:As long as you work within the framwork fo the SRD then you should have n oproblem because you are using Open Source material. Conversely, you coudl instead claim you are actually selling services as a consultant for D&D groups, and making NPCs falls within your duties.

If the Copyright thing were to come up.


I thought about that just because the SRD is very limiting on what types of NPC's you can create. I also figured if this is a private transaction IE not distributing the NPC's I create for commerciel use, then perhaps I could get away with using stuff from Forgotten Realms, CA, CD, CW.
This way, I can create NPC's like a Crinti Mauruder/ anti-paladin from the Shining South and Dragon Magazine but it would be a private transaction.

Am I making any since?

anyway, thanks so far for the valuble answers and input guys.

Scott

  


Active Collector

Posts: 45
Joined: Oct 29, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 05, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:33 am 
 

sgt scott wrote:Hi-

I would like to create NPC's for DM's who lack the time to do such things, kinda like Just in Time when you order products and my question is:

Would I be violating copy rights? It would be just a word document with no art, just a stat block.

thanks

Scott


Please go visit OPEN GAMING FOUNDATION and read the document for yourself.

In short, you can copyright your own character descriptions.  The stat blocks are part of the Open Gaming License.

Using any copyrighted material such as the Forgotten Realms or Grayhawk is not permitted under the Open Gaming License.  Ask the folks at Fast Forward Entertainment, who were given a Cease, Desist & Destroy order concerning the violating books and now have NO gaming releases on their schedule at all.  

You would also be required to include a copy of the D20 license with each product--even if it's just an NPC stat block.

I don't even understand what you're talking about when you say "private transaction."  If you make a product that is a derivative work of an intellectual property (as in making an NPC for the D&D game), that's your business.  If this product (it's now a product because it's on paper or in eletronic form) changes hands in exchange for cash or product received, then it is a commercial transaction by definition.  That's exactly what you're describing.

Offering a service that includes a violation of the law is also illegal.  

I recommend you consult an attorney if you're really interested in following the law.  Asking strangers at random on a bulletin board doesn't offer any liability protection.


Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

  


Active Collector

Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
Last Visit: May 18, 2005

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:18 am 
 

Hi-

Sorry for the lateness of my reply, had to do the reserve thing this weekend.

Anyway, I looked at the document you linked me to, and you are right, I can not create NPC's from other WoTC books.

So if I do any NPC's, it will be just from the SRD and no more.


Scott

  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1