Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 50 of 112123 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 110111112
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:34 pm 

Tonya King wrote:BBU: Biological Birth Unit - not really my "mom" so much as the woman who birthed me

Geez, written this way it really looks like some sort of sci-fi cloning center.

However, at last we have had a decent, civil reply from miss Tonya. I have just watched at her About Me page, if I may suggest something, not very related to the content but more of a technical nature, it's about the length of the row. It would really be better to place the text in a DIV of limited width or split the content in two columns. Reading lines from one end of the screen to the opposite end is quite a stress to the eye. The same suggestion holds for any seller and actually any web page.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:35 pm 

Tonya King wrote:If that Cougar guy is the one in the UK, he ripped me off good - on a PURCHASE.  I sold him a large lot of books directly, and he paid by by PAYPAL, insisting on "Mbag" mail, and I shipped.  He said he got it, then did a charge back for his credit card, through paypal - not sure I really understand what happened, but in the end, took me for $275.00 (which, OUCH< was my whole "text books" money for the semester!).

Tonya, in an attempt at goodwill, I'd like to point out that you should not feel badly about this — the scenario you described is very well-known around here. Basically, you've joined a very big club ... call it Folks Scammed by Cougie, or something.

When you get a free minute or two, hit the "search" button and type in terms such as "Cougar" and "M-bag." As soon as you can get the number of threads down to a manageable level, read through them and discover just how many people Cougie has done this to. Simply put, it's a scam: he browbeats sellers into agreeing to send M-bags, which then mysteriously go missing, which then leads to a chargeback that PayPal will automatically approve. It's scam-a-licious.

Also, if you set the default to "200 listings," you could scan through his feddback fairly quickly. Note the number of neutrals and negatives that specifically mention the M-bag problem. Also, note his stock response to every complaint.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:40 pm 

Tonya King wrote:Dangit, i was trying to post in response to your post mike, but I kept getting your text in the window, too.  I hope I finally got that out.  :)   I changed my about me page as per your suggestions.  I would appreciate it if you review it and give me any other input you might have.  Bye the way do you have a spell checker on this thing> I can't find it.  Anyway, I am sorry that my post on my about me page was considered offensive in lite of Melissa's supposed illness.  I didn't know what else to say, and I thought saying nothing was the worst idea - evidently not, huh?  I also, finally, got some polite emails from folks on here, to which I have to say thanks - much better than the vulgar posts I got earlier!  And, sorry about posting the email addy of the vulgar post, didn't realize that was a no-no on forums, and if I had, I guess I might still have posted it, cause I felt it was way over the top abusive - just being honest with you guys.  And, hey, this is why your comments really upset me:  I am a GAMER.  Like you guys, even more than my DAD, I actually still PLAY D&D (yeah, 3.5 mostly, but I also have all the 1st ed books, too!) and when you guys went to school, did you ever get picked on by the cool kids and the jock-kids about carrying around your game books?  Well, I did - so the last thing I expected was to get attacked by "my own kind of people" on something!  And, for those who were upset about the cancer thing, and Melissa - all I can say is my GrandMother died of breast cancer, my Grandfather of a Brain Tumor, and both were awful to endure.  I was so MAD at Melissa for tricking me, I wanted to just spit on her!!!    You guys try to be at least a LITTLE nice, I don't like being called a Gully Dwarf, or having people say that my figure is bad, or I look awful in my chainmail Bikini or Chainmail Dress or my Dirndl (Authentic Bavarian Dress I picked up with visiting the BBU in Germany) (BBU: Biological Birth Unit - not really my "mom" so much as the woman who birthed me, and then abandoned me, but that is a story for another day).  okay, bye for now, Tonya

Crap, now I feel about like I did after I ripped Guido for his stories he put in his item descriptions and he came on board and turned out to be such a nice guy.  I have to say the page looks LOTS better.  I think your page says everything you needed to say in a nice, concise, factual way yet still lets some of your personality shine through.  Very nice job. As a matter of fact, makes mine look like crap, I have to go clean up that mess soon.
  I think your satisfaction guarantee is a good idea, I can't remember if that was on the former page or not.  Believe me, you will so rarely have to honor it, customers are very forgiving when you at least admit a mistake and offer to refund them, sometimes they just pass.  And if you do have to do a refund, well it's just the cost of doing business and 99.9% of the time it will probably save a negative, so in the long run it's worth it.  
  One of my tricks when I run into a real ass biter of a buyer (not any Acaeum folks, of course  :roll: ) is to compose a really nasty reply, saying everything I wanted to say in the words I only use around sailors,  then let it sit overnight.  100% of the time when I get up the next day I read the reply, have a good laugh, then delete it.  It's just not worth the grief.
     However, when I redo my About Me page, no photo of myself will be forthcoming, Gully Dwarf would be considered a compliment, I look like a cross between Gene Wilder and Chris Farley's demented love child. Although I might get more buyers that way, counting on pure pity to move the shopper's heart to spend money with me.....
8O

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:47 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Tonya King wrote:If that Cougar guy is the one in the UK, he ripped me off good - on a PURCHASE.  I sold him a large lot of books directly, and he paid by by PAYPAL, insisting on "Mbag" mail, and I shipped.  He said he got it, then did a charge back for his credit card, through paypal - not sure I really understand what happened, but in the end, took me for $275.00 (which, OUCH< was my whole "text books" money for the semester!).

Tonya, in an attempt at goodwill, I'd like to point out that you should not feel badly about this — the scenario you described is very well-known around here. Basically, you've joined a very big club ... call it Folks Scammed by Cougie, or something.

When you get a free minute or two, hit the "search" button and type in terms such as "Cougar" and "M-bag." As soon as you can get the number of threads down to a manageable level, read through them and discover just how many people Cougie has done this to. Simply put, it's a scam: he browbeats sellers into agreeing to send M-bags, which then mysteriously go missing, which then leads to a chargeback that PayPal will automatically approve. It's scam-a-licious.

Also, if you set the default to "200 listings," you could scan through his feddback fairly quickly. Note the number of neutrals and negatives that specifically mention the M-bag problem. Also, note his stock response to every complaint.

Someday, the words "M-Bag" will be interchangeable with "Being scammed by an internet seller based in the UK" in general conversation.  "Cougar" will be slang for getting ripped off.  Examples below:

"Yeh, that guy M-bagged me good on that last order"

"Wow, I heard someone pulled a Cougar on you and now you're out a thousand bucks"

"Well, when the multi level marketing guy started his spiel, I could just see an M-Bag coming.  I got out of there before I got cougared like all the other poor schleps at the meeting."

Mike B.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:48 pm 

Badmike wrote:Crap, now I feel about like I did after I ripped Guido for his stories he put in his item descriptions and he came on board and turned out to be such a nice guy.

Ooooooh, was that the time that he came on here to explain that his "stories" were just a fun exercise for his young daughter? Yeah, I felt pretty good about myself, too, considering I had mocked the stories like the day before ...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:54 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:Tonya, in an attempt at goodwill, I'd like to point out that you should not feel badly about this — the scenario you described is very well-known around here. Basically, you've joined a very big club ... call it Folks Scammed by Cougie, or something.

Someday, the words "M-Bag" will be interchangeable with "Being scammed by an internet seller based in the UK" in general conversation.  "Cougar" will be slang for getting ripped off.  Examples below:

"Wow, I heard someone pulled a Cougar on you and now you're out a thousand bucks"

"Well, when the multi level marketing guy started his spiel, I could just see an M-Bag coming.  I got out of there before I got cougared like all the other poor schleps at the meeting."

Mike B.

That was dang funny

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:59 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Also, if you set the default to "200 listings," you could scan through his feddback fairly quickly. Note the number of neutrals and negatives that specifically mention the M-bag problem. Also, note his stock response to every complaint.

Or simpler, you could go to toolhaus.org and only select his negatives:

toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=cougarri ... eceived+by

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:59 pm 

I hope it is okay now, and thanks for whoever it was who wrote the 6 detailed paragraphs - I apprecaite the help.

I wanted to comment on them.  :)  
1.  I redid my about me page, with your comments from paragraph #1 in mind.  2.  I am going to try REALLY hard only to leave negatives for people who:  Don't Pay Me, Cheat me, or call me mean names.  If someone buys, and pays, and finds my service bad enough to leave negative feedback, I am going to do my honest best to just give them a positive (assuming they paid on time, and didn't call me anything worse than a Gully Dwarf!).  3.  The customer is not always right, but I do see your point.  Keeping an established customer is more cost effective 99% of the time than trying to find a new one.  I will work on this.  #4.  I am lowering my output for a while, and having someone more patient than me help me with stuff, too.  yea!  5.  It is both a business and a hobby, and I will try to keep in mind it is a business to others, while mentioning it is a sideline for me, in my about me page.  I also will try to answer emails 3 times a week, instead of twice.  :)  6.  I am going to keep my S&H fee's high, I can't see not making a profit each month after all my costs, and right now I make less than 5% of each transaction as "my share".  I will try to accept the occasional bad feedback in the "cost of doing business" category - that was REALLY good advice.  I would mention that my cost of postage and labor FAR outstrip my own intake on profits, so I am unlikely to lower those fee's any.

Thanks, I hoped they helped.  As for follow ups, you can still leave negs, just leave out the personal remarks, my personal opinion they lower you to the level of someone who does NOT have to make a living on the internet and thus doesn't really care how he/she looks to potential customers.  Hell, I've blocked dozens of people over the years rather than neg them, IMO that's actually more satisfying.  As for the customer is always right, you would be surprised at the dividends you can reap.  I've lost people's orders and had them on the verge of leaving a neg and driving to where I live to burn down my house, when one email of "Look, you are right, I screwed up, how can I make it right?  Would a shipping refund make up for it?" changes the entire situation.  Even if I KNOW it's not my fault (like the guy last week who was pissed his item didn't arrive TWO DAYS after he paid for it) sometimes the buyers just wants a few reassuring words.  If you bend over backwards and the customer is still being an ass, feel free to block the moron and chalk it up to someone you would NEVER be able to please anyway. However, I've found most people are pissed because they are having a bad day, and they decide to take it out on you for some reason, not giving them any material to work with in regards to you being confrontational is the ticket.

Thanks again, whoever you were.  :)

PS:  I do have a nice rack, thanks.

Sweet!!!! :wink:

Actually, so do I. I've really got to lose some weight......

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:03 pm 

TigerKing wrote:
Badmike wrote:

Mike B.

That was dang funny

"How was your date last night?"

"Oh man, it was as bad as they come.  A real M-Bag.  After I paid for dinner and a movie, she cougared me real good and left the party with another guy.  I feel like such a Maxwell."

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:06 pm 

Looks like this thread charged back to the coug, for a change...

Badmike wrote:"Well, when the multi level marketing guy started his spiel, I could just see an M-Bag coming.  I got out of there before I got cougared like all the other poor schleps at the meeting."

Nice one, Mike! :lol:

Sounds better than being jonbeed, too.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:12 pm 

guerret wrote:Or simpler, you could go to toolhaus.org and only select his negatives:

toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=cougarri ... eceived+by

Uh, yeah ... do that. It's about 500 times quicker. :)

Actually, there's a lot of interesting stuff there. When you read everything consecutively like that, certain trends pop out. For instance, Cougie is taking full advantage of eBay's fairly recent policy of mutual withdrawal of feedback ... no doubt, by browbeating his customers until they finally say "Fine! Whatever!"

And I just realized something: the Coug thinks that eBay is some sort of feedback contest. Like maybe a race to a certain number or something. He is obsessed with his feedback and with continually pointing out how his rating is higher than everyone else's.

I swear, next time I'm in the UK, I'm going to put my foot right up his JonB.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:19 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I swear, next time I'm in the UK, I'm going to put my foot right up his JonB.

That's the funniest thing I've heard all year. :)

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:22 pm 

Badmike wrote:

Mike B.

LOL - I almost miss the Titanium Powerseller emails I used to get daily, since I put him on spam block it seems like my email box is downright empty.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:33 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:And I just realized something: the Coug thinks that eBay is some sort of feedback contest. Like maybe a race to a certain number or something. He is obsessed with his feedback and with continually pointing out how his rating is higher than everyone else's.

Yep, that's one of the things that got me in the first place; back when he was much more persistent at nagging, nagging, nagging people into giving him feedback (before he gave them their's, of course).

Reindeergamez wrote:LOL - I almost miss the Titanium Powerseller emails I used to get daily, since I put him on spam block it seems like my email box is downright empty.

Aww... No more friendly "purr" in the morning, whilst he turns your inbox into a litterbox? :(

Talking of those PS emails, I'll try again... Anything missing?
eBay Feedback Profile for cougarrinard

Still not sure I'm not seeing things (or rather, seeing nothing).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:37 pm 

faro wrote:Talking of those PS emails, I'll try again... Anything missing?

*raises hand*

No Powerseller logo?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:40 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:
Badmike wrote:

Mike B.

LOL - I almost miss the Titanium Powerseller emails I used to get daily, since I put him on spam block it seems like my email box is downright empty.

I just looked over the Kitty Kats feedback. Anyone else notice he's no longer listed by Ebay as a power seller?  Interesting.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:40 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
faro wrote:Talking of those PS emails, I'll try again... Anything missing?

*raises hand*

No Powerseller logo?

That's bad news.  I'd hate it if my "-titanium" search term stopped blocking his auctions. :?

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:42 pm 

@Xax': Image

Ah... what a pleasant post for #500! :)

Hopefully that's not a temporary state-of-affairs 'coz I'm sure this must be really biting at his tail.

Shame... ;)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 50 of 112123 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 110111112