Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 47 of 112123 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 110111112
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:08 pm 

Rob, since I'm the one who brought it up, I'll throw out an offer: send me the jpeg and I'll host the image for you (I rent server space from Apple; I've got plenty of room). Or just try again to modify your Acaeum profile; it sounds like perhaps you missed a step at some point.

If you want me to host an image, just attach it and send to: [email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:23 pm 

Wow, looks like I missed a lot today. 8O

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:38 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Here is the start of the list

caliverbooks

defreville43

Please feel free to add any others!!

David, this thread was started in direct reponse to Caliverbooks by Blackmoor way back last February.  

<*in Darth Vader voice>* The circle is now complete....... :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:44 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Wow, looks like I missed a lot today. 8O

Or not much at all — it depends on your point of view.

FWIW, helping to fan the flames of anti-Titan sentiment by posting while very, very angry ... probably not one of my better ideas. But, thankfully, with so many people here having so many collecting-related things to discuss, the flames will die down sooner rather than later ... they always do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:51 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Wow, looks like I missed a lot today. 8O

Or not much at all — it depends on your point of view.

FWIW, helping to fan the flames of anti-Titan sentiment by posting while very, very angry ... probably not one of my better ideas. But, thankfully, with so many people here having so many collecting-related things to discuss, the flames will die down sooner rather than later ... they always do.

Well, look at this way, beyond the personal attacks about appearances and what not,  at least a lot of "real" issues got some well deserved attention today. :wink:  Hopefully this all will be a learning experience for all parties.

Then again, the folks here can be a pretty tough crowd. 8O

*<makes note to self: stear clear of the wrong side of the Acaeum forum>* :P

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:54 pm 

Cheers, Brian!
bclarkie wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Here is the start of the list
caliverbooks
defreville43
Please feel free to add any others!!

David, this thread was started in direct reponse to Caliverbooks by Blackmoor way back last February.  
<*in Darth Vader voice>* The circle is now complete....... :D

Oh, darn.... :( :(

*waves to Jeff*. Erm, thanks for the warning. :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:54 pm 

Tonya King wrote:Well  I sure see why my dad didn't mention this to me.  But, a  fellow with the email address of [email protected] sent me a verrrrrry vulgar email attack - through eBay, even though I don't think I have ever sold him anything or met him and pointed me to this site.  I can say I won't be back (here), and that your comments did, indeed, hurt my feelings.  How can people call me a gully dwarf who never met me?  How come so many people how never met me hate me so much?  I used to be proud to call my self a gamer, thinking that we at least shared a love of something common, and a tollerance of one another.    What an EYE opener!!!!!!

As one of the writers who kept this thread going, and focused it on Tonya's Games (although I don't believe I resorted to any personal attacks at any time), I can give you a few bits of unsolicited advice that you may never see...I know you say you are "never" coming back here, and I don't really have the wherewithal to actually email you personally, but I have a feeling you will be able to read this at some point.
    As I said this advice is unsolicited, frankly you seem to sell twice as much stuff as I do so you are welcome to ignore it, but you also seem tohave piled up about ten times the negs I have.  Here are just a very few pointers from someone who has been selling online since about 1994 or thereabouts, feel free to think about these points:

1.  I would totally erase the "About Me" page, and start over again.  Ditch the cutesy references about being a starving college student, or whatever.  State in 2-3 paragraphs what it is you do, answer some repeated questions that buyers always seem to ask, tell a little bit about yourself but not too much, at this point the page has become a gigantic mess of misplaced junk and is very open to ridicule.  Drop the references to why your shipping is so high...leave it at "handling fees" or whatever and move on, talking about paying a shipper and packer just makes you seem like a prima donna that has underlings doing her work.  Drop the references to finding games at Salvation Army or Goodwill stores or whatever (I'm going by memory here) because it sounds fishy and untruthful. For heavens sake don't mention any former employees or blocked buyers my name, that makes you sound vindictive, petty and unprofessional.

2.  When you leave negs, I know it's necessary sometimes but you should try to make those times very few, there is no need to get involved in childish banter and repartee with the buyers.  Name calling is very, very unprofessional and simply makes you a target for ridicule....A simple, factual statement such as "Didn't pay for item" makes much better business sense.  Remember statements like those you have left stay up FOREVER and are always available to be giggled over years from now.

3.  Remember the old saying "The customer is always right", well, I would pay attention to this.  Yeh, I know the customer really isn't always right, but let's face it you seem to have a problem in this regard.  Such a small, small effort in follow up emails to admit fault, then refund shipping, will serve you far better than your unsuccessful confrontational assaults. Coupled with the threats,  this is not a real winning combo.

4.  Consider lowering your output until you get caught up with your shipping.  A lot of newbies especially sometimes list more than they can comfortably ship in one week's time, not understanding that when all that listed 1000 items sells someone has to package and ship. In the short run you may make less money until you catch up, but in the long run you'll serve your customers better.

5.  Either decide you are going to run a business, or not.  If not, state that it's a hobby/sideline and you will be given a lot more leeway when you screw something up.  If you are going to run a business, don't expect a lot of kind words and sympathetic remarks from customers you mess over.  I would suggest, seeing as you are a college student with other responsibilities, you turn this business into a hobby and drop all the references to this endeavor as a job in your descriptions.  There are plenty of us here on the Acaeum that approach this RPG stuff as a business, it actually pays the rent in some cases, so understand that you are being criticized by competitors who see someone like yourself poisoning the entire customer base.  When you give someone online who buys from you a bad experience, this translates to a distrust and dislike to Ebay as a whole, and by association other sellers.  

6.  Finally, your shipping is high enough that the ocassional buyer who doesn't read through your descriptions will complain and may leave you a neg.  If you wish to keep the shipping at the present level, you will simply have to swallow these while smiling, it's the cost of doing business.  I would suggest shipping to priority mail (all supplies are free) and keeping your shipping the same, that would seem to be a good compromise, but that is your call. To act shocked and upset that everyone doesn't understand the reason you charge so much for shipping is self defeating.  Either accept it and move forward, or lower your shipping costs and reap the benefits of satisfied customers.

Hopefully you will at least read these suggestions and possibly act upon them, I believe they would serve you well.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:15 pm 

If I may follow up with a personal, unprofessional, but rather reliable client-side advice for miss Tonya, I will state that I have purchased once from her for a few bucks and was so disappointed that I will not do so again, while Mike has seen repeated purchases from me, for an exact total of... a good lot, and I am pretty certain this is going to keep on for a while. And this is not only thanks to the excellent items he lists, but also to the promptness with which he replies, the discounts he happens to make on shipments for large amounts of items, the humility with which he admits mistakes and corrects them, and a bunch of other things which a buyer is not entitled to expect but come as a superb plus in his eye. For this reason, I would invite miss Tonya to at least take the time to carefully read the advice offered by Mr. Badolato and think a while about them before thrashing them as some pompous rants from one of her wannabe killers.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:25 pm 

I notice Tonya King only posted the 'ooh, why does nobody like me?' reponse. She seems to be more than happy to ignore the way she treats her buyers?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:46 pm 

Badmike wrote:Hopefully you will at least read these suggestions and possibly act upon them, I believe they would serve you well.

Excellent post, Mike. Really, you said so much of what I was trying to say, except that I was typing behind a wall of anger* last night and earlier today.

+++++

* One of Robert E. Howard's "veil of red mist" references is what it felt like.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:38 pm 

guerret wrote:If I may follow up with a personal, unprofessional, but rather reliable client-side advice for miss Tonya, I will state that I have purchased once from her for a few bucks and was so disappointed that I will not do so again, while Mike has seen repeated purchases from me, for an exact total of... a good lot, and I am pretty certain this is going to keep on for a while. And this is not only thanks to the excellent items he lists, but also to the promptness with which he replies, the discounts he happens to make on shipments for large amounts of items, the humility with which he admits mistakes and corrects them, and a bunch of other things which a buyer is not entitled to expect but come as a superb plus in his eye. For this reason, I would invite miss Tonya to at least take the time to carefully read the advice offered by Mr. Badolato and think a while about them before thrashing them as some pompous rants from one of her wannabe killers.

I honestly think she would benefit from my suggestions, or I wouldn't have spent the time thinking about what was wrong with her business to get everyone so bent out of shape, and then condensing it down to several points.  And thanks for the compliments!  I especially like the admitting mistakes parts, man I am really piling them on this year, I need to take my own advice I guess and slow down.   Stay tuned to my About Me page where I confess to a Scotch rocks addiction as the reason I'm shipping slow...

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:39 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Badmike wrote:Hopefully you will at least read these suggestions and possibly act upon them, I believe they would serve you well.

Excellent post, Mike. Really, you said so much of what I was trying to say, except that I was typing behind a wall of anger* last night and earlier today.

+++++

* One of Robert E. Howard's "veil of red mist" references is what it felt like.

I've had that happen, typically right after a Jonb sighting or Creepie post...

Mik eB.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:07 am 

It is definitely a good idea to not post angry, although I have a tendancy to do this myself.  :roll:

Couple other good pointers. Don't post while intoxicated, when you wake up the next morning you will look at your posts and wonder if maxwell broke into your house and started posting away while you were out. :?  Oh, and another thing not to do. Do not go on EBay intoxicated either.  It seems that you will end up bidding on not only some crazy ass things, but also in ridiculous amounts.  And yes, I do know this from experience. :oops:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:43 am 

What about all three? Is that good?

(okay, technically, it wasn't eBay, but I was close):

1. I was angry;

2. I was pretty much lit up like the Fourth of July;

3. I was returning from a local charity auction wherein I had, apparently, bid repeatedly on a nice string of pearls for my wife. I sort of remember doing this ... and witnesses confirm it ... but, hey, it was for a good cause, right? And the pearls do look nice ...

+++++

Sidebar: live auctions are a total adrenaline rush; I'd never been to one before. No amount of sniping on eBay could ever compare, IMO.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:57 am 

Oh, before I forget, I also apparently called my best friend around midnight to tell him all about the charity auction.

He's a construction worker; he goes to bed at about 8:30. :oops:

My new motto: Never drink and dial.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:39 am 

bclarkie wrote:It is definitely a good idea to not post angry, although I have a tendancy to do this myself.  :roll:

Couple other good pointers. Don't post while intoxicated, when you wake up the next morning you will look at your posts and wonder if maxwell broke into your house and started posting away while you were out. :?  Oh, and another thing not to do. Do not go on EBay intoxicated either.  It seems that you will end up bidding on not only some crazy ass things, but also in ridiculous amounts.  And yes, I do know this from experience. :oops:

well one only has to think of lil ol' draco76 when it comes to making a post relating to something.......the guy has such a cool grasp on things, that he says it in such a way that we can only dream of (thank god)! :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:35 am 

Yes, good old "roflmao wtf lol nOOb l33t wut u got". I imagine he just spontaneously combusted one day. He struck me as the jumpy, energetic type.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:01 am 

This is more of a general question than a complaint against a specific seller.  I am not an eBay newbie, but I don't have the collective experience of you all.

I bought a TSR box that was described as missing only one part.  When it arrived yesterday, it was missing the one part and one map and a book.  Normally, I would be a little miffed.

However, the box also has an issue of Polyhedron, a Traveller 2300 supplement, three different first edition Toon books, two AD&D 2e DM screens, one AD&D 2e Master Index, and a first printing of the AD&D Lankhmar City of Adventure book.

The question is this:  What happened here?  (Did the seller knowingly short me and try to placate me by packing in obviously unrelated products?  Was he unaware of the missing items and packed in the extras to be nice?  Did he not examine the box's contents before he sold it?)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 47 of 112123 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 110111112