Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 35 of 112123 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 110111112
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:16 pm 
 

Actually, Eclavdra's answer sounds entirely believable to me, and her reasoning about how she would shill her own auctions (assuming it is a her) seems entirely sound.   8)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:17 pm 
 

MShipley88 wrote:Actually, Eclavdra's answer sounds entirely believable to me, and her reasoning about how she would shill her own auctions (assuming it is a her) seems entirely sound. 8)




*<points to my above ammended post>*



If you believe every story that EBay sellers tell you then jonb has a bridge in Brooklyn he wants to sell you.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 115
Joined: Apr 25, 2005
Last Visit: May 11, 2010
Location: Massachusetts

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:
MShipley88 wrote:Actually, Eclavdra's answer sounds entirely believable to me, and her reasoning about how she would shill her own auctions (assuming it is a her) seems entirely sound. 8)




*<points to my above ammended post>*



If you believe every story that EBay sellers tell you then jonb has a bridge in Brooklyn he wants to sell you.




It seems that ebay didn't believe the story either.  Eclavdra is no longer a registered user, nor is algolong.



:D   Well done, Brian.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:56 am 
 

Achizar wrote:


It seems that ebay didn't believe the story either. Eclavdra is no longer a registered user, nor is algolong.



:D Well done, Brian.




Good to hear. :)  I am sure though that she will probably be back up and running again in a month or so, as eBay will typically gives a seller of that magnitude with no apparent history of problems a 2nd chance. Hopefully, however this will prevent it from happening again. If she is so stupid as to do it again though and someone reports her, eBay will kick her as off for good.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:00 am 
 

I guess that makes me an innocent.  All of my Ebay experiences so far have been really positive.  



    Even Eclavdra seems like  a pretty small-time villain....bumping her auction up from .99 to 3.99 or so.  



    I wanted that Restormel, however.   :cry:


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:00 am 
 

MShipley88 wrote:I guess that makes me an innocent. All of my Ebay experiences so far have been really positive.



  Even Eclavdra seems like a pretty small-time villain....bumping her auction up from .99 to 3.99 or so.



  I wanted that Restormel, however.  :cry:




hey MS i got a load of restormel's lying around...in fact i have shitloads of stuff lying around cos i don't have the time to sort them :D



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1109
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 19, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:38 am 
 

Have a look at this auction....



cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Aibo-111-210-311-ERS- ... dZViewItem



Maybe we should use this tactic with some of the shadier sellers  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:



Some titles we could start with ....  :wink:





How To Recognise When an Item is Listed for Too Much - just for you Creep



How To Recognise a Shifty Seller - just for you Empty Treasure Chest

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:34 am 
 

improvstone wrote:Have a look at this auction....



cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Aibo-111-210-311-ERS- ... dZViewItem



Maybe we should use this tactic with some of the shadier sellers :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:



Some titles we could start with .... :wink:





How To Recognise When an Item is Listed for Too Much - just for you Creep



How To Recognise a Shifty Seller - just for you Empty Treasure Chest




I think this one meets just about all the criteria of the above listed auction. 8O



Childrens Hour Game | eBay


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:38 pm 
 

Hmm, trying to figure out where seeyouinescrow's post went. :?



Anyway, I did a little digging on our old friend creep1962 and it seems that he is not so popular in the Miniture collecting community as well:



http://www.maxminis.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8757



http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread ... ge=2&pp=10



Can't say that I am really not surprised.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 181
Joined: Apr 02, 2004
Last Visit: May 26, 2014
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:23 am 
 

Sorry bc (and others)...here it is again...I thought perhaps I made an error in lambasting this seller :oops:, and didn't care to look foolish ...but no, I am correct. It appears as he's ripping off pictures from this site  :evil: (which is becoming WAY to common)...then lying about it. Of course grodog exposed him with a more detailed question, but in my follow up, he still won't admit it..but oh well...mostly just wanted to vent :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2459
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 15, 2021
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:50 am 
 

"The Dungeon Master Guide that I am holding in my hand, which is for sale, and the Dungeon Master Guide that is pictured are exactly the same.." which doesn't say it is the picture of his one for sale..


and actually with the above links I've run across a nice site that lists all a ebay users neg and neutral comments, saves looking through their entire history

Toolhaus.org

Brette:)

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:37 am 
 

seeyouinescrow wrote:Sorry bc (and others)...here it is again...I thought perhaps I made an error in lambasting this seller :oops:, and didn't care to look foolish ...but no, I am correct. It appears as he's ripping off pictures from this site :evil: (which is becoming WAY to common)...then lying about it. Of course grodog exposed him with a more detailed question, but in my follow up, he still won't admit it..but oh well...mostly just wanted to vent :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1


sorry i dont beat about the bush like you lot. lets see if he replies to THIS:

"hey there. have just come across your auction with interest as i am looking for as perfect a set of these books as i can find. however, after looking at your pics on the auction, i noticed that the corners all around the pics are trimmed off, which is always a worry to me. i also noticed that the pics on the auction are remarkably similar to the following pics: Page Not Found, Page Not Found and Page Not Found . i come across it often now that the books i receive are nothing like what the pictures on the auction look like. so therefore, please clarify that the pictures on the auction are ones taken by you of the actual item that you hold, or are they just pics you have utilised from the above to show on your auction, that are effectively the same book but not an actual item picture. thankyou very much for your time, Alan"



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:38 am 
 

beasterbrook wrote:


Toolhaus.org



Brette:)




hey brette, funnily enough bclarkie has just mentioned that link on another thread on here...



good idea that as well isnt it?



Al



  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2459
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 15, 2021
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:19 am 
 

dam it and he beat me to it..well i did get to it from the links he posted above... oh well great minds think alike :lol:



Brette)

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:51 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:i noticed that the corners all around the pics are trimmed off, which is always a worry to me


Incidentally, I'll mention patent pending, ultra-secret, third way of identifying 1st DMGs, even if they take a 1/2" off the picture all the way around:



The tip of the wizard logo's hat rests even with the white "Gary Gygax" lettering, horizontally, on every printing except the 1st.  On the 1st, it's below that horizontal.

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:41 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
sorry i dont beat about the bush like you lot. lets see if he replies to THIS:



"hey there. have just come across your auction with interest as i am looking for as perfect a set of these books as i can find. however, after looking at your pics on the auction, i noticed that the corners all around the pics are trimmed off, which is always a worry to me. i also noticed that the pics on the auction are remarkably similar to the following pics: Page Not Found, Page Not Found and Page Not Found . i come across it often now that the books i receive are nothing like what the pictures on the auction look like. so therefore, please clarify that the pictures on the auction are ones taken by you of the actual item that you hold, or are they just pics you have utilised from the above to show on your auction, that are effectively the same book but not an actual item picture. thankyou very much for your time, Alan"




wahay i got a reply from the guy, here ya go:



"Hi. I did not take the photos myself, but downloaded them from the web. I do not know what the web addresses that you listed above are, but they are not the ones that I utilized to get my photos. However, I did compare the photos to the books that I have here, and the photos show the identical books that I have for sale. For a detailed description of the condition of the actual books that I have for sale, please go to the ebay web page that displays my books for sale, and look at the questions that I have already answered. I have detailed the exact conditon of each book, which should give you the information that you need. Hope this helps."



so there we are - what a sad sap - cant even take a pic of his own books man! sheesh  :?



  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:36 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
so there we are - what a sad sap - cant even take a pic of his own books man! sheesh :?


And more depressingly, can't tell a 1st printing from a 6th.  A very common affliction, unfortunately.

 YIM  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:33 pm 
 

[quote="deimos3428"][/quote]
Neat. Thanks, Deimos. ^^



unfortunately you have to open the book for my "patented" alternative method of spotting 1st print Eldritches. Those only have two staples visible in the centre fold as opposed to three on the 2nd print, as is typical on most of the other 7/76 supplements.

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 35 of 112123 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 110111112