Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 33 of 112123 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 110111112
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:14 pm 

I need a little help.  I won this auction.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8328169622

The seller has not sent the item.  It has been 1 month.  He at one point said that it would be in the mail tomorrow.  That was 2 weeks ago.  Since then he has not replied to my many emails both thru ebay and regular email attempts.  

I would like to hear from you what course of action or actions I should take.  This is a T1st DMG in fantastic condition from a seller with a 100% feedback rating.  I would really like to have the DMG, but believe that will never happen.  This is the first time a seller has blantantly screwed me.  So your suggestion would be much apprieciated.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:46 pm 

Prufrock wrote:I need a little help. I won this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8328169622

The seller has not sent the item. It has been 1 month. He at one point said that it would be in the mail tomorrow. That was 2 weeks ago. Since then he has not replied to my many emails both thru ebay and regular email attempts.

I would like to hear from you what course of action or actions I should take. This is a T1st DMG in fantastic condition from a seller with a 100% feedback rating. I would really like to have the DMG, but believe that will never happen. This is the first time a seller has blantantly screwed me. So your suggestion would be much apprieciated.

Martin

I would still be patient This auction only ended 17 days ago and its entirely possible that if it was end media mail that it is still in transit. Secondly, are you even sure that this a True 1st print DMG, that scan seems like it is trimmed to the point where it may not be a 1st print.  The thing in the acution description that scares me most is the Revised Edition designation :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:49 pm 

Not sure if that's a true 1st.  Usually when the seller puts "Revised" in the description, it's because they've seen that on the copyright page.  Photo appears cropped as well.

I'd give it more time, too.  Good luck.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:18 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Not sure if that's a true 1st. Usually when the seller puts "Revised" in the description, it's because they've seen that on the copyright page. Photo appears cropped as well.

I'd give it more time, too. Good luck.

That is certainly a T1st, assuming the photo is of the actual item (as I mentioned via a PM to Prufrock not long ago). You can tell by looking at the location of the wizard logo -- it's squarely overtop the blue-robed figure's foot. The word "revised" made me wary that it's not a genuine photo, though.  

[edit](Also the mention of the ISBN)

I'd be patient as well -- sometimes stuff is just plain slow.  ;)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:51 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Not sure if that's a true 1st. Usually when the seller puts "Revised" in the description, it's because they've seen that on the copyright page. Photo appears cropped as well.

I'd give it more time, too. Good luck.

That is certainly a T1st, assuming the photo is of the actual item (as I mentioned via a PM to Prufrock not long ago). You can tell by looking at the location of the wizard logo -- it's squarely overtop the blue-robed figure's foot. The word "revised" made me wary that it's not a genuine photo, though.

I'd be patient as well -- sometimes stuff is just plain slow. ;)

I noticed that as well, except my computer at works monitor sucks, so it is wicked dark. As far as that picture goes, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have seen that photo before. The reason I have seen that photo before is because it comes from right here:

Page Not Found

:(

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:13 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:

I'd be patient as well -- sometimes stuff is just plain slow. ;)

I noticed that as well, except my computer at works monitor sucks, so it is wicked dark. As far as that picture goes, and I [u]hate[u/] to be the bearer of bad news, but I have seen that photo before. The reason I have seen that photo before is because it comes from right here:

Page Not Found

:(

Dang, I knew that photo looked familiar... in that case, the seller flat-out lied, because IIRC, Prufrock mentioned that he asked if it was the photo of the exact book, and the seller said that it was.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:22 pm 

Prufrock wrote:I need a little help. I won this auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8328169622

bclarkie wrote:As far as that picture goes, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have seen that photo before...

:( :( :(

Not the first person to be suckered by dishonest sellers reusing images against eBay rules (aside from anything else)

eBay: Redirect

(The "1st PHB" seller I fell foul of also has a 100% feedback record).

Sorry to hear that and hope you get all your money back without a retalitory neg, Prufrock...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:57 pm 

Okay guys,  looks like I got taken.  Thought it was too good to be true.  I will wait one more week and then go thru the "Dispute Console" on eBay.

I did my research and looked up the DMG's here on the website but never equated the photo here with the auction photo.  And I did ask him if the photo was the item being sold and he said it was.  

Nice detective work guys!  Could have been worse, I only lost $30 but would have really like to have a T1st in that condition.  

Anyway, Thanks guys.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:13 am 

Check out this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

And the bidding history:

eBay.com Item Bid History

tauglorimorgorus the seemingly endless pit of money retracted his bid on this this morning as it was bid all the way up to $192.50. He waited 3 days to this. Seems like rather rather odd behavior from someone who has basically refused to get outbid on anything regardless of the total final bid. However when you take a closer look you can kind of put A and B together. Looking at tauglorimorgorus' most recent feedback and the answer seems to present itself pretty clearly:

eBay Feedback Profile for tauglorimorgorus

Look who tauglorimorgorus just recently dealt with. Well, its none other than everyones favorite Cougie Kitty. Who here wants to bet me that Cougar saw how high that auction was and offered to sell him a shrinked H1 off EBay for someting like $175.00 at a huge discount. :roll: I would be willing to bet some serious cash on this one. Any takers???

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:22 am 

bclarkie wrote:Look who tauglorimorgorus just recently dealt with. Well, its nother than everyones favorite Cougie Kitty. Who here wants to bet me that Cougar saw how high that auction was and offered to sell him a shrinked H1 off EBay for someting like $175.00 at a huge discount. :roll: I would be willing to bet some seroous cash on this one. Any takers???

Wonder whether Mike <improv> did so as well, if that was the case! :o

;)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:30 am 

harami2000 wrote:Wonder whether Mike <improv> did so as well, if that was the case! :o

;)

David, as the person on this forum who has known me the longest you should know better.   :wink:  

I would rather see Brian win the H1 at a reasonable rate!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:52 am 

improvstone wrote:David, as the person on this forum who has known me the longest you should know better. :wink:

*chuckles*. sry ^^

improvstone wrote:I would rather see Brian win the H1 at a reasonable rate!

Yeah, rather spoiled things for the seller and the run of the auction, though. :(

(aside @ Brian: you've got a bit of a "chain" of high bids there, now... D'you want to pull that and start over? Plenty of time and I've left a "marker" bid, if so ;)).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:04 am 

bclarkie wrote:Check out this auction:

And the bidding history:

eBay.com Item Bid History

tauglorimorgorus the seemingly endless pit of money retracted his bid on this this morning as it was bid all the way up to $192.50. He waited 3 days to this. Seems like rather rather odd behavior from someone who has basically refused to get outbid on anything regardless of the total final bid. However when you take a closer look you can kind of put A and B together. Looking at tauglorimorgorus' most recent feedback and the answer seems to present itself pretty clearly:

eBay Feedback Profile for tauglorimorgorus

Look who tauglorimorgorus just recently dealt with. Well, its none other than everyones favorite Cougie Kitty. Who here wants to bet me that Cougar saw how high that auction was and offered to sell him a shrinked H1 off EBay for someting like $175.00 at a huge discount. :roll: I would be willing to bet some serious cash on this one. Any takers???

Yes indeed, I'd say it looks as if coutie - I mean cougie - smelled fresh whale meat and went harpooning.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:27 am 

harami2000 wrote:
(aside @ Brian: you've got a bit of a "chain" of high bids there, now... D'you want to pull that and start over? Plenty of time and I've left a "marker" bid, if so ;)).

No, I am going to leave my proxy bid as it is, but thanks for the offer :wink: . The seller already has to be wondering what the hell is going when the top 2 bidders on the auction have cancelled, let alone the top 3 8O. I bid that proxy with the decision that I would be willing to pay that amount to win so, even though I am a bit vulnerable to the *jack up* bids, I can live with it especially in lieu of the current circumstances. I can tell you that I will not be bidding any further though, so if anyone was paying attention to that auction probably knows what my high bid is and can snipe away. :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:45 pm 

Looks like I may have been wrong about the Cougar side deal. Unless of course this bid was placed as either a back up or perhaps a cover up:

Either way, this tauglorimorgorus is quite an interesting fellow. :roll:  Let me give him a little nudge. :twisted:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:10 am 

Who thinks there was some shilling going on here?:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5231655996

Highly reputable seller, it would seem, but that bidder has bid only on the seller's auctions.  Seems suspicious to me.

:evil:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:13 am 

Achizar wrote:Who thinks there was some shilling going on here?:

Highly reputable seller, it would seem, but that bidder has bid only on the seller's auctions. Seems suspicious to me.

Hmmm, funny the bidder happens to also be from the same state as the seller.

Seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5231655996

Bidder:

eBay listings

Seems like a good canidate for a shiller. Time to report it to ebay :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:23 am 

Achizar wrote:Who thinks there was some shilling going on here?:

Highly reputable seller, it would seem, but that bidder has bid only on the seller's auctions. Seems suspicious to me.

Possibly, I guess, but unlikely.  The seller has a perfect record with well over 1000 positive feedback...I doubt they'd risk that kind of status for $13 or so.  Also, the other bidder is overbidding the common bidding amounts ($22.50, $25.00) -- if you're shilling you wanna go under them, because you really don't want to win, you want to push up the bid but still lose.

More than likely, you've just got some new competition that bumped up the bid a couple times, then realized he was outgunned.  He's dealt with that seller before, and has them on their favorites list because of the quality service.  Well, that's my read, anyway.

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 33 of 112123 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 110111112