Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 32 of 112123 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 110111112
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:36 pm 

So then shilling your auctions is not a good thing to do then. Hmmm.... :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:35 pm 

Nothing like ripping of this site with your pictures and in your auction descriptions with no acknoledgement AGAIN. This guy even went as far as to hyperlink endpapers/flyleafs in the auction description to come to the site:

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons | eBay

As a matter of fact if you look at almost everyone of his auction descriptions they are cut and pasted right from here:

eBay listings

Sad part is even though he clearly is familiar with the site, if you look at his openeing bids he must have decided to skip over the values part. :roll: Then again, looking at the Monster Manual description, he didn't even rip off the right printing. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:37 pm 

This thread needed a *bump* anyway. Look who beat me out on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Hmmm,  How long before you think these appear in his store for $300.00 apiece. :roll:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:18 pm 

(heh, heh; the thread's back...)

Found some Classic Cougar from over on <rec.games.frp.marketplace> late last year, back when he still had time to post.

(Would've thought those newly-invented pre-gummed postage stamps might actually save him time, but there ya go... ;))

(emphasis mine)

<clip>

YES BECAUSE I LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WHEN BAD SELLER DESERVE IT,

THE FACTS;

I BID ON AN ITEM FOR $0.01

SELLER TRIED TO CHARGE ME 500 X THAT FOR s&h

I PAID HIS FEES AND HE STILL WANTED AN EXTRA $0.01 (THUS HIS REFUND)

HE HAD 3 MONTHS TO LEAVE ME FEEDBACK (POSITIVE AS i HAD NOT COST HIM ANYTHING)

HE DID NOT I LEFT NEG AS I WAS TIRED OF WAITING, WARNING YOU NOT TO DEAL WITH THIIS SCUM UNLESAS YOU LIKE PAYING HIGH S&H.

HE GETS INTO A STROP, THUS ALL THIS AND STARTS ATTCAKING MY SELLING, NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MY SELLING AS I WAS THE BUYER IN OUR ONLY TRANSACTION

QUIT WHILE YOUR AHEAD OBVIOUSLY OUT CLASSED, OUT GUNNED, IN AN IQ BATTLE YOUR DEFENCELESS, COMPLETELY UNARMED.

(grammar notwithstanding...)

Damn, why does no-one ever quote me $5 s&h for a US->UK package? :?

Maybe I should ask him about his secrets on his forum... ;)

*relaxes*. That cheered me up... :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:32 pm 

Instead of starting another thread, I'll just post this here.  I have a little problem on ebay and just want some advice before I proceed further.

Around 55 days ago I purchased a lot of books for around $40.00 including shipping.  After 3 weeks went by I sent an email inquiring about the status.  At this time the seller tells me that they got a letter from the Atlanta post office about the package being messed up and had to fill out some kind of form (not a lot of details from them about what kind of letter they got or anything) and that hopefully when they got the form back the post office would send the package along.  Another couple of weeks go by, I still have no package.  I emailed them again and get no response, so on day 44 I file a paypal complaint.  Now they write me back.  They are FURIOUS that I would file a complaint since they were "working with me" on getting the package from the Atlanta post office.  I let them know that I was sorry, and if I was granted a refund but the item arrived I would definantly resubmit payment for it.  No response.  9 days go by and they are forced to have action on the paypal complaint or I'm just going to "win" so they submit a refund for the purchase price (not shipping) of $30.00 and send me a rather nasty email with it calling me a crook.  Now... Here's the "What would you do" part.   Should I just accept the refund or should I demand the other $10.00 ***I would have never even dreamed of doing that until I was treated rudely***  And what sort of feedback would be appropriate.  (I've already been given feedback so that's not a problem)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:45 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:After 3 weeks went by I sent an email inquiring about the status. At this time the seller tells me that they got a letter from the Atlanta post office about the package being messed up and had to fill out some kind of form (not a lot of details from them about what kind of letter they got or anything) and that hopefully when they got the form back the post office would send the package along.

Sounds odd.  I've never heard of the post office notifying the sender of a damaged package.  I'd demand a full refund.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:55 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:Here's the "What would you do" part.  Should I just accept the refund or should I demand the other $10.00 ***I would have never even dreamed of doing that until I was treated rudely*** And what sort of feedback would be appropriate. (I've already been given feedback so that's not a problem)

I would certainly ask for a refund of the shipping charges. Most good/ethical sellers will refund shipping as long as the buyer is not to blame for loss/damage/return of item. However, you should be aware that sellers are generally under no legal obligation to refund shipping/handling charges. So if they say "No", you may have no further recourse, except possibly bringing up the matter with your credit card company (if you paid that way).

Personally, I would probably leave negative feedback for the rude treatment. The seller needs to understand that you have to protect yourself (whether they were working with you in good faith or not), and one way to do that is by filing with PayPal. You gave them the benefit of the doubt by waiting until the last possible moment, but you're not about to waive all your rights & protections. IMO, they should have offered you a full refund after the 30-day mark. That's what I do as a seller for domestic shipments that don't show up.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:25 pm 

As a seller, I can understand someone being upset at a buyer claiming that they didnt receive a package and possibly losing my money, however in this circumstance the seller had already previously acknowledged that there was problem with the post office. I can't figure out how he would act that way unless he was maybe trying to hide something and was hoping by his "cooperation", that he would be able to hold you off before you were able to get your money back. As far as the dispute goes, I would proceed with it in full, because if Paypal finds in your favor, you will get all of your money back including shipping(assuming it is there to take). In regards to feedback, I would email him and let him know that you could very well have already given him a neg if you were really trying to screw him, but in good faith that you have not done so at this point and that you are still trying to resolve the issue in good faith. If you contiue to get an attitude from him then I would just neg and be done with it. Just my $.02

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:34 pm 

What a jackass :(   I'd go for the full refund through PP.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:00 am 

Full refund and nothing less.  His Post office story is a scam and delay tactic.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:10 am 

Thanks again for the "reinforcement."  I'm an easy sell on stories like these and if he'd been polite about it would have let the $10 go, but we'll let paypal sort things out and wait for the flames to come.   :P

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:57 pm 

Not really a shady dealer, but yet another person ripping off my item description word for word.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:32 am 

I wonder.  IS there a copyright on Ebay auction descriptions?

I mean...certainly a lifted scan would not be good, if only because the scan would not depict the actual item being auctioned.

But, some people simply cannot write.  They might actually need to lift the text of someone else's auction just because they cannot write one themselves.

Would it be unethical to lift the text of an auction so long as it accurately described the item in the new auction?   :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:14 am 

If you can figure out how to sell on ebay, you can write your own damn descriptions.

I take the time to make mine unique and informative. For someone to rip that off is simply bullshit. This is not an agrument about making an item sell for a higher price, but personalization of sales. Some may like my presentation, others not. But the effort I make to build a point-of-sale listing should not be up for someone to rip it off.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:22 am 

MShipley88 wrote:   Would it be unethical to lift the text of an auction so long as it accurately described the item in the new auction?  :?

Yes. This would be a clear violation of eBay's Item Description and Picture Theft policy, which explicitly covers the following:

"A seller doesn't know the best way to describe an item. The seller copies a substantial amount of another's description and pastes it into a listing."

eBay: Redirect

Members who violate this policy can be reported through the above link.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:32 am 

bbarsh wrote:If you can figure out how to sell on ebay, you can write your own damn descriptions.

I take the time to make mine unique and informative. For someone to rip that off is simply bullshit. This is not an agrument about making an item sell for a higher price, but personalization of sales. Some may like my presentation, others not. But the effort I make to build a point-of-sale listing should not be up for someone to rip it off.

I typically just use the back cover as the description, quoting it exactly, it amazes me how many people will not only rip that off but your entire paragraph of personalized text that accompanies it.  Two prolems in our socieity, Laziness and Selfishness, again rear their ugly head.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:49 pm 

To laziness and selfishness I would also add dumb-a-tudity.  (My own word, coined just for this posting.)   8)

If you must rip off someone else's description, why not make enough changes to make it your own?   :?

I mean, the fact that an item features X and Y and that it is edition Z is not private property.  Why not just steal the facts and re-write the description?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:55 pm 

bbarsh wrote:If you can figure out how to sell on ebay, you can write your own damn descriptions.

I don't know about you guys, but, I typically just use the back cover as the description, quoting it exactly, it amazes me how many people will not only rip that off but your entire paragraph of personalized text that accompanies it.  Two prolems in our socieity, Laziness and Selfishness, again rear their ugly head.

Mike B.

(Ah, come on, laugh, dammit.  :) )

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 32 of 112123 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 110111112