Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 19 of 112123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 110111112
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:20 pm 

Badmike wrote:

Needless to say I have yet to receive a response. :roll: Nothing like reshrinking items and selling them as new. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Of course he has a bunch of other shrinked modules like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 39603&rd=1

With this in the description:

Gee, I wonder how he knows it thay are complete if he bought them at a used bookstore and never opened them.

The S2 shrink looks suspiciously like "stretch" shrink, not the old time "crinkle" shrink that most of the older TSR modules were covered with. I don't recall any of the old "letter" series being in stretch shrink.....

This is a great reason that a shrinkwraped item should not be considered better than a non-shrink mint item.  THere is a game store I go to regularily that shrinks all there old stuff, mint or not.
Mike B.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:23 am 

I actually received a very nice email from the above seller who has now modified his auction listings:

I just wanted to Email you to thank you for informing me about these modules. I don't want to be misleading to anyone. I managed to revise the listing before anyone bid (thanks to you).    Thanks again Walter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 5:04 PM
To:
Subject: Question for item #5191754153 - Dungeon & Dragon Module G3 Silver Anniversary NEW in SW

Question about your item

Marketplace Safety Tip

Always remember to complete your transaction on eBay - it's the safer way to trade.

Is this message an offer to buy your item directly through email without winning the item on eBay? If so, please help make the eBay marketplace safer by reporting it to us. These "outside-of-eBay" transactions may be unsafe and are against eBay policy. Learn more about selling with confidence.

Use good judgement when accepting checks or money orders as payment for high value items.

Before shipping the goods, check with your bank to ensure that the payment method is valid, and that funds have cleared and are available.

If this email is inappropriate or violates eBay policy, please help protect other eBay community members by reporting it to us immediately.

Dear wlwolz,

Dear seller, I was looking at this item in your auction as well as a few of your other shrinkwrap items. I was wondering in particular about this item as well as G1 and G2, being that these items were never sold individually and were only sold in the Siver Anniversary Box set. COuld you please clarify how these are in shrink? Thanks for your time, Brian

Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below. You'll have the option to display your response directly on the listing.

Thank you,
bclarkie

He claims he never realized that they were not sold seperatley himself, but has now modified his listing, so it looks like everything worked out in the end :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:37 am 

Wow, someone must be reading the posts here. This is new in Tonya's swap shops "about me" page, an explanation of the excessive shipping charges:

Lets Talk About S&H Charges: I pay a lister $1.00 per auction listed (that sells). I pay a packer $1.00 per auction packed. That means I have a handling cost of $2.00 per auction. My S&H fee's are combine-able as follows: US buyers who buy more than one auction pay 100% of the highest S&H fee, and 50% of each additional fee. For example, if you bought 10 auctions with $4.65 S&H fee each, you would pay: $4.65 for the first one, and $2.32 for each additional auction. $4.65 + 9 TIMES $2.32 = $25.53. My costs for that are: $10 to the packer, $10 to the lister, and that leaves me $5.53 to cover postage - which means I actually LOSE money on the shipping on 90% of my packages!! Do not ask for a further discount on S&H fee's, even if you buy 50 auctions, I don't want to lose too much money on the shipping end. I realize some gamers think otherwise, but I actually plan to make a profit by selling games - and so far I do pretty well, thus keeping my tuition paid for college! Yea!

Almost verbatim the example I gave earlier about why it is expensive to shop at Tonya's. To her credit, she hit the explanation head on and now the excessive charges make sense (sorta). However, I have to question the "starving college student" aspect to her sales pitch.  How many of us can afford to pay both a LISTER and PACKER for services, adding two bucks an item to the final price?  I've been working solo for the last ten years, with occasional help from my daughter (who sometimes scans for me and ain't making a buck a scan, I'll tell you that), but then again I'm not a bigtime internet dealer like Tonay (she's averaging what, 1000 sales a month now?).  Frankly, it sounds like she's not doing a thing unless it's picking up stacks of extra unsold stock from her daddy...nice work if you can get it!

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:35 pm 

I have to question the "starving college student" aspect to her sales pitch

I always questioned that myself.  I've purchased a couple of items from her, and if you think her shipping charges are high now, they used to be even higher.  8O $7.00 for a miniature blister was the norm, until my e-mails finally got them down to $5.50 or so... and even that's crazy. The sellers that charge the "each additional item 50% I tend to stay away from.

Question: Anyone familiar with Titan Games? They seem to have the same format, was curious if that was Tonya's clone

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:31 pm 

Titan Games is Tonya's dad's store, isn't it?  People seem to have the same complaints about him too (overgraded items, high shipping).  To be fair, I've bought one thing from Titan Games and it was exactly as described, fair shipping and pretty good communication as well.  Based on others' comments, this experience seems to have been the exception, so YMMV.

Every couple weeks I say I can't take the shipping fees on ebay anymore and vow to quit...but then I see that "one last thing" I have to go after and I'm back in again.     :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:27 pm 

Achizar wrote:Titan Games is Tonya's dad's store, isn't it? People seem to have the same complaints about him too (overgraded items, high shipping). To be fair, I've bought one thing from Titan Games and it was exactly as described, fair shipping and pretty good communication as well. Based on others' comments, this experience seems to have been the exception, so YMMV.

Every couple weeks I say I can't take the shipping fees on ebay anymore and vow to quit...but then I see that "one last thing" I have to go after and I'm back in again.   :wink:

Nothing against the material itself, I've won a couple auctions and got items exactly as described (although I have heard others complain of overgrading, but my stuff was ok)...it's the excessive shipping costs that boggle the mind, but I guess when you pay $2 out for every item listed and sold you have to make the money up somewhere. Yet another reason to do more business with smaller merchants such as fellow Acaeum members who don't molest buyers on shipping by having pad shipping to pay for Listers, Packers, Fluff Girls, Wine Servers, etc.
   Specifically, Dracoshorde, BeyondtheBreach, Burntwire, Bclarkie, Bombadil-tom (Foolandhis$), there may be more but I'm going from memory from going through competitor's listings (gotta keep up on the other resellers you know), don't wallet-whip you when it comes to shipping costs....if I didn't mention you it just means I haven't checked your listings lately, that or you ARE overcharging on shipping, just kidding....

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:03 pm 

Not only does this guy look like he stole his whole auction lisiting from feckin jonb 8O , but also take a look at the feedback has received and given also:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 7&rd=1

:roll: 8O  :evil:  :roll:  8O  :evil:
Badmike wrote: Specifically, Dracoshorde, BeyondtheBreach, Burntwire, Bclarkie, Bombadil-tom (Foolandhis$), there may be more but I'm going from memory from going through competitor's listings (gotta keep up on the other resellers you know), don't wallet-whip you when it comes to shipping costs....if I didn't mention you it just means I haven't checked your listings lately, that or you ARE overcharging on shipping, just kidding....

Mike B.

BTW, Thanks for the nice words BM. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:09 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
morgansurname wrote: His grammar sounds familiar...I think he has posted before under a different name....

I was thinking the same thing.

Anyway, looks like Aneoth's MM might be in good hands after all:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Look at this idiot, he actually cancelled a legitimate newbie bid thinking that I would actually waste my time bidding on his stupid a$$ auctions with a fake name. What a schmuck. :roll: Hey Kevin, as hard as it is to believe you are actually even dumber than I thought, you just cost yourself $50. :lol: :lol: :lol:
=========================================
Look at this one too:

eBay.com Item Bid History

Good old jonb buying from our good friend Keep, its like a match made in hell. :roll:  The funniest thing is Keep is cancelling bids all over the place. Looking thorugh his most recent round of auctions he cancelled like 4 bids. I guess he thinks I am trying to get him or something. What a loser. :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:22 am 

bclarkie wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:

Look at this idiot, he actually cancelled a legitimate newbie bid thinking that I would actually waste my time bidding on his stupid a$$ auctions with a fake name. What a schmuck. :roll: Hey Kevin, as hard as it is to believe you are actually even dumber than I thought, you just cost yourself $50. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Look at this one too:

Good old jonb buying from our good friend Keep, its like a match made in hell. :roll: The funniest thing is Keep is cancelling bids all over the place. Looking thorugh his most recent round of auctions he cancelled like 4 bids. I guess he thinks I am trying to get him or something. What a loser. :lol:

Well I guess that explains who fddevinck is... :evil:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:53 am 

bclarkie wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:

Look at this one too:

Good old jonb buying from our good friend Keep, its like a match made in hell. :roll: The funniest thing is Keep is cancelling bids all over the place. Looking thorugh his most recent round of auctions he cancelled like 4 bids. I guess he thinks I am trying to get him or something. What a loser. :lol:

As I've said many times, paranoia has it's own uses  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:   I wonder how long he'll keep cancelling legit bids to battle the invisible enemy?  Funny stuff. Sometimes, just letting someone know you COULD do something is as good as actually doing it.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:25 am 

Some interesting news about Tonya and TitanGames and their... hmmm, how can I say, advertising.
I recently bought something from Tonya - and I want to say I have nothing to complain about that: she sells stuff that is EXACTLY what she says, and it comes with no fuss.

The reason I post her in this Shady Dealers thread is about the excessive shipping charges. She says in her "about me" in eBay that she employs both a lister and a packer to send her stuff... yet in the flyer that came with my purchase, she says that: "Thanks for buying from me on Ebay!! Tonyas-Games on eBay is my way of paying for my college tuition. I also work full time, and play D&D on Thursday evenings.
I also wanted to recommend a shop that I work at part time as the packer: it is called titangames.com ... blah blah blah"

:? :? :?

So she employs a lister and a packer for her stuff, and she works as a packer in titangames? Wouldn't be easier for her to pack her stuff, then, and cut down on costs?

Or she simply "forgot" to tell that the lister and the packer working for her ARE in fact herself?

Looks like a multiple personality case then...

:lol:

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:17 am 

rosenkav wrote:Some interesting news about Tonya and TitanGames and their... hmmm, how can I say, advertising.
I recently bought something from Tonya - and I want to say I have nothing to complain about that: she sells stuff that is EXACTLY what she says, and it comes with no fuss.

The reason I post her in this Shady Dealers thread is about the excessive shipping charges. She says in her "about me" in eBay that she employs both a lister and a packer to send her stuff... yet in the flyer that came with my purchase, she says that: "Thanks for buying from me on Ebay!! Tonyas-Games on eBay is my way of paying for my college tuition. I also work full time, and play D&D on Thursday evenings.
I also wanted to recommend a shop that I work at part time as the packer: it is called titangames.com ... blah blah blah"

So she employs a lister and a packer for her stuff, and she works as a packer in titangames? Wouldn't be easier for her to pack her stuff, then, and cut down on costs?

Or she simply "forgot" to tell that the lister and the packer working for her ARE in fact herself?

IMO Tonya and her sugar daddy are full of sh*t.
As well as dramatically exagerating the condition and rarity of what they sell, they make huge proffits on the shipping charges.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:25 am 

Tonyas-Games on eBay is my way of paying for my college tuition. I also work full time, and play D&D on Thursday evenings.

She is one hell of a woman to be able to juggle that load. Work full time, over charge people on shipping all the time, play D&D, run an ebay store, work at my dad's ebay store.... Oh! and I also slay orcs on thursday evernings.
She probably owns the pack mules in her party, and after clearing out a dungeon,charges her fellow adventurers outrageous shipping charges getting those gold & silver pieces back to town.

More than likely she takes one class a semester at Battle Creek Community College, Grand Valley State or Western to qualify as the "college student" in her feel sorry for me selling style.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:36 am 

Ekim Toor wrote:
Tonyas-Games on eBay is my way of paying for my college tuition. I also work full time, and play D&D on Thursday evenings.

She is one hell of a woman to be able to juggle that load. Work full time, over charge people on shipping all the time, play D&D, run an ebay store, work at my dad's ebay store.... Oh! and I also slay orcs on thursday evernings.
She probably owns the pack mules in her party, and after clearing out a dungeon,charges her fellow adventurers outrageous shipping charges getting those gold & silver pieces back to town.

More than likely she takes one class a semester at Battle Creek Community College, Grand Valley State or Western to qualify as the "college student" in her feel sorry for me selling style.

I'm sure I saw a picture of her once. All teeth at bottle thick glasses. Like something out of Fiend Folio.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:59 am 

I just picked up a bunch of JG items from a seller at a buck apiece, and I had to pay immediately. I paid them all, and then asked him to consolidate shipping. He took a LONG time to get back, and then said he doesn't do that, whereupon I pointed out the auction listing which clearly states that he does. He claims he mailed them separately already, but he will refund a portion of the shipping. I will figure out what shipping should have been, and expect the difference back. It's not my fault he is trying to fuck people on shipping, or that he has shitty attention to detail. If I don't get enough back, I will not only file a grievance with eBay (for all the good THAT will do), I will hammer him with 8 or so negs.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:01 am 

rosenkav wrote:Some interesting news about Tonya and TitanGames and their... hmmm, how can I say, advertising.

I'd have more respect for her if she'd just dump the "starving college student" routine and admit her daddy gives her free D&D stuff to resell and sometimes slips her a $100 for the free advertisting he gets through her ebay store.  I don't actually see anything wrong with this, he like many other fathers is just basically giving her an allowance for minimal "work", but to couch it in terms that she's juggling all these jobs and college and playing D&D (man, can't remember the last time IVE had time to play regularly while running my Ebay store) and thus has to pay a "lister" and "packer" is silly.  

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:16 pm 

Lets Talk About S&H Charges: I pay a lister $1.00 per auction listed (that sells). I pay a packer $1.00 per auction packed. That means I have a handling cost of $2.00 per auction. My S&H fee's are combine-able as follows: US buyers who buy more than one auction pay 100% of the highest S&H fee, and 50% of each additional fee. For example, if you bought 10 auctions with $4.65 S&H fee each, you would pay: $4.65 for the first one, and $2.32 for each additional auction. $4.65 + 9 TIMES $2.32 = $25.53. My costs for that are: $10 to the packer, $10 to the lister, and that leaves me $5.53 to cover postage - which means I actually LOSE money on the shipping on 90% of my packages!! Do not ask for a further discount on S&H fee's, even if you buy 50 auctions, I don't want to lose too much money on the shipping end. I realize some gamers think otherwise, but I actually plan to make a profit by selling games - and so far I do pretty well, thus keeping my tuition paid for college! Yea!

Okay, I am going to preface this comment by saying that I have bought from Tonya a few times before and have experienced no major problems. except for the outrageous s&h charge and an overgraded item, everything went okay.   Saying that though, I will also say this.  She is paying someone $1.00 per auction to list and another $1.00 per auction to pack?  That is just a steaming load of Bull Sh*t. Tonya currently has 862 auctions up this week which means that she is paying $862 PER WEEK to have someone list the auctions and assuming she only sells 1/2 of her stuff that she is listing she is paying another $431 to pack.  That is  
$1293.00 PER WEEK that she is paying someone to work her auctions.  At that rate, doing the math, if I am working for Tonya listing and packing all of her auctions for a full year, I would make, before taxes $67,236.00.  BFS!!!   If this is really the truth, than I think that I am going to move up to Michigan and apply for a job with Tonya.   8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:49 pm 

Okay, I am going to preface this comment by saying that I have bought from Tonya a few times before and have experienced no major problems. except for the outrageous s&h charge and an overgraded item, everything went okay

That sure sounds like a problem to me  :P At least she was nice enough to send you the item.
Good detective work on the numbers BC, she obviously isn't paying that kind of money to an "employee". She's well on her way to making that million on ebay, $2 at a time.

Overgrader + Shipping thief + Liar = Tonya the crook

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 19 of 112123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 110111112