Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 15 of 112123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 110111112
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:17 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I have never lived in NYC, or Boston, or D. C., but I did stay in Chicago for 3 months many years ago, and I got everywhere I wanted to go by using the Trains.... or by walking. Never once hired a Taxi, though I once rented a car with some friends for a weekend out in the country for a wild party.

Bottom line? Being in NYC, Boston, D.C., or even Chicago without a car might be a blessing, but in LA it is definitely not......

Hey Aneoth,
It's really too bad you didn't take a taxi in Chicago.....Dave Trampier might have picked you up.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:29 pm 

jkason wrote:
Aneoth wrote:I have never lived in NYC, or Boston, or D. C., but I did stay in Chicago for 3 months many years ago, and I got everywhere I wanted to go by using the Trains.... or by walking. Never once hired a Taxi, though I once rented a car with some friends for a weekend out in the country for a wild party.

Bottom line? Being in NYC, Boston, D.C., or even Chicago without a car might be a blessing, but in LA it is definitely not......

Hey Aneoth,
It's really too bad you didn't take a taxi in Chicago.....Dave Trampier might have picked you up.

Who??

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:35 pm 

Aneoth wrote:

Sent the seller the following inquiry.
Is the picture shown in this listing taken of the actual item that is being auctioned, or is the picture some sort of stock or archival photo? The picture looks like the box is shrink-wrapped to me, and your description states the box has a tear or two and is also yellowed. But of course since the photo is quite small in the listing, it is very difficult to tell for sure. Thanks, in advance Aneoth

And what was the response to my question?

yes, it is a stock photo.

That is all there was.......

What a prick.  Did you get an email address?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:37 pm 

Now this is one that most certainly has done a bad thing. E-Bay would paste his but to the wall if they actually saw this.

The listing is an auction for a simple board game (DUNGEON), one that has been discussed on this forum recently as being a great game for little ones to learn about D&D for the first time.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 9&rd=1

Check out all the keywords and phrases that the seller used in the little history of Games monologue. Which BTW is so long as to be too boring to read through....

As I recall, one of our member sellers was recently pasted hard by the E-Bay listing police for having FAR fewer keywords and phrases than this....

A must for strategy & role playing game fans, whether you play science fiction, fantasy or war games! Wonderful fun for family and friends! This is a great item for the game fan in your life, or something completely new to share with family and friends, instead of the same old Monopoly by Milton Bradley, Clue by Parker Brothers, or Scrabble game, where the same person wins every time! Don't let this wonderful item slip away!

A Little History: Originally based in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin the company known as TSR (Tactical Studies Rules) started out with humble beginnings in 1973, before becoming the entertainment legend we know today. A few previous works, such as Chainmail (more of a miniatures based system), generated creative sparks amongst authors Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson. Those sparks soon flared into the creation of that little woodgrain box set Dungeons & Dragons and it's three digest sized books Men & Magic, Monsters & Treasures, and the Underworld & Wilderness Adventures, that will now forever hold a cherished place in the world of fantasy role playing. The Advanced Dungeons and Dragons universe consists of near endless worlds to explore including Greyhawk, Planescape, Birthright, Dark Sun, SpellJammer, Al-Qadim, Ravenloft, The Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance. TSR has produced board Games (The Battle of Five Armies based on J.R.R. Tolkiens Lord of the Rings Prequel the Hobbit, Dungeon, The Awful Green Things from Outer Space, Divine Right), computer games, role-playing games from the basic set to the 1st Edition, 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition, and currently 3.5 (The Players Handbook, From the Ashes, Deities and Demigods w/ Cthulhu & Melnibone mythos, Boot Hill, Hellbound the Blood War, Metamorphosis Alpha, Gamma World, RPGA modules RPGA1 Rahasia, R4 Doc's Island, Queen of the Spiders…the list is near endless), fantastic detailed lead and plastic miniatures including the Rare Imperial Dragon which was also the cover for Dragon Magazine #1, and The Great Red Dragon, a continuing series of novels by the best writers of fantasy, comic books, a cartoon/anime series, it's own toy line by LJN, truly amazing art by some of the finest artists including Larry Elmore, Keith Parkinson, Jeff Easley, Brom, Erol Otis, Todd Lockwood, and Tony DiTerlizzi, not to mention it's own addicts support group the Role Playing Gamers Association, and the largest game convention in North America Gen Con! Even after being purchased by Wizards of the Coast (the publishers of Magic the Gathering), the Dungeons and Dragons world continues to grow!

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:28 am 

Aneoth wrote:Now this is one that most certainly has done a bad thing. E-Bay would paste his but to the wall if they actually saw this.

The listing is an auction for a simple board game (DUNGEON), one that has been discussed on this forum recently as being a great game for little ones to learn about D&D for the first time.

Check out all the keywords and phrases that the seller used in the little history of Games monologue. Which BTW is so long as to be too boring to read through....

As I recall, one of our member sellers was recently pasted hard by the E-Bay listing police for having FAR fewer keywords and phrases than this....

A must for strategy & role playing game fans, whether you play science fiction, fantasy or war games! Wonderful fun for family and friends! This is a great item for the game fan in your life, or something completely new to share with family and friends, instead of the same old Monopoly by Milton Bradley, Clue by Parker Brothers, or Scrabble game, where the same person wins every time! Don't let this wonderful item slip away!

A Little History: Originally based in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin the company known as TSR (Tactical Studies Rules) started out with humble beginnings in 1973, before becoming the entertainment legend we know today. A few previous works, such as Chainmail (more of a miniatures based system), generated creative sparks amongst authors Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson. Those sparks soon flared into the creation of that little woodgrain box set Dungeons & Dragons and it's three digest sized books Men & Magic, Monsters & Treasures, and the Underworld & Wilderness Adventures, that will now forever hold a cherished place in the world of fantasy role playing. The Advanced Dungeons and Dragons universe consists of near endless worlds to explore including Greyhawk, Planescape, Birthright, Dark Sun, SpellJammer, Al-Qadim, Ravenloft, The Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance. TSR has produced board Games (The Battle of Five Armies based on J.R.R. Tolkiens Lord of the Rings Prequel the Hobbit, Dungeon, The Awful Green Things from Outer Space, Divine Right), computer games, role-playing games from the basic set to the 1st Edition, 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition, and currently 3.5 (The Players Handbook, From the Ashes, Deities and Demigods w/ Cthulhu & Melnibone mythos, Boot Hill, Hellbound the Blood War, Metamorphosis Alpha, Gamma World, RPGA modules RPGA1 Rahasia, R4 Doc's Island, Queen of the Spiders…the list is near endless), fantastic detailed lead and plastic miniatures including the Rare Imperial Dragon which was also the cover for Dragon Magazine #1, and The Great Red Dragon, a continuing series of novels by the best writers of fantasy, comic books, a cartoon/anime series, it's own toy line by LJN, truly amazing art by some of the finest artists including Larry Elmore, Keith Parkinson, Jeff Easley, Brom, Erol Otis, Todd Lockwood, and Tony DiTerlizzi, not to mention it's own addicts support group the Role Playing Gamers Association, and the largest game convention in North America Gen Con! Even after being purchased by Wizards of the Coast (the publishers of Magic the Gathering), the Dungeons and Dragons world continues to grow!

I came across that little history a couple of months back, and pasted it almost verbatim into a few of my auctions. It increased my average watchers count by almost 100%.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:39 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Aneoth wrote:Now this is one that most certainly has done a bad thing. E-Bay would paste his but to the wall if they actually saw this.

I came across that little history a couple of months back, and pasted it almost verbatim into a few of my auctions. It increased my average watchers count by almost 100%.

Out of curiousity, did you ever get an auction cancelled?  When I first started ebaying I posted something similar, then got a call from ebay one afternoon (yes, an actual phone call) saying all my auctions were cancelled, they were sorry to do this to a good customer, I was the target of complaints, etc.  I booted up and sure enough I had 80 auctions cancelled.  I bitched and griped for a few minutes, the guy ended up being pretty nice, he reinstated all my auctions and didn't charge me, but ever since then I have one eye out looking for "Big Brother".  The worst part is that the call was a courtesy call, they can basically cancel all your auctions at any time they feel you have violated the rules (of course this was many years ago, they may have too many sellers/buyers now to check out every complaint). I dont' think if I had actually had the guy on the line for several minutes pleading my case they would have reinstated the auctions at all.  

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:01 am 

:oops: Yes...they stuck it to me hard.  Oh well...live and learn.  I had no idea at the time, but in hindsight, it does make sense....

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:55 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
jkason wrote:
Hey Aneoth,

Who??

Sorry, Aneoth.
Dave Trampier is the artist who drew the Wormy comic strip in the early Dragon magazine.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:47 am 

Gobbledigook is still my favorite ever comic strip character out of RPG magazines :) Although Thrud is a very close second,

btw did anyone read the comics that were released for Thrud? very amusing :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:17 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:What a prick. Did you get an email address?

As a matter of fact, yes...... 8)  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:42 am 

He's got an address and phone number on his webpage...

http://www.axisrecordsandcomics.com/
2877 Chapman st., Oakland, CA 94601-2128 phone: (510) 534-5269

And there's a pic.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:17 am 

Anybody know who posted the original pic of that white box set on the Acaeum?  Might be worth a phone call with that info in hand.   :twisted:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:09 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:40 pm 

Feedback Score:  88521  
Positive Feedback:  88.2%  

Members who left a positive:  100252  
Members who left a negative:  13425  

All positive feedback received:  374438  

That's a crappy scored, even w/ 100,000+ pos feedback.  I wouldn't buy.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:20 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:Feedback Score: 88521
Positive Feedback: 88.2%  

Members who left a positive: 100252
Members who left a negative: 13425

All positive feedback received: 374438

That's a crappy scored, even w/ 100,000+ pos feedback. I wouldn't buy.

And they're still on eBay? 8O

Hmm... only 1,252 negs in the last month and the same form response ad-naseum; "We deeply regret the poor experience you had and we are working to rectify this!".

"Positive feedback is left automatically when winning bidder leaves a positive comment for Bargainland...The winning bidder also agrees that this is an 'as is' auction and therefore by placing a bid waives any and all rights to warranties, charge backs or refunds by Bargainland Liquidation."

Good price for that bulk lot as-is, if they deliver, though?
D'ya go to conventions or have a shop? ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:37 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

MrFilthyIke wrote:Feedback Score: 88521
Positive Feedback: 88.2%

Members who left a positive: 100252
Members who left a negative: 13425

All positive feedback received: 374438

That's a crappy scored, even w/ 100,000+ pos feedback. I wouldn't buy.

And they're still on eBay? 8O

Hmm... only 1,252 negs in the last month and the same form response ad-naseum; "We deeply regret the poor experience you had and we are working to rectify this!".

"Positive feedback is left automatically when winning bidder leaves a positive comment for Bargainland...The winning bidder also agrees that this is an 'as is' auction and therefore by placing a bid waives any and all rights to warranties, charge backs or refunds by Bargainland Liquidation."

Good price for that bulk lot as-is, if they deliver, though?
D'ya go to conventions or have a shop? ;)

I think the 13k negative feedback should have been a tip off this might not be a good seller...heck, even the people leaving POSITIVE feedback aren't happy!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:14 pm 

This guy isn't shady at all. He is just an outright thief. :evil: :evil: :evil: Look at this auction:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... eName=WDVW

It just happens to be the same auction that I won 2 1/2 months ago here:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5949147327

Needless to say I paid by paypal and paypal did a charge back, but I only got $63.00 of my $88.00 back. The worst part of it is that I inadvertantly left a positive feedback for him in error. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Now this MF'er is "selling" the same stuff again, of course after he changed his EBay ID and set up a new Paypal account under a different email address. I informed Ebay, but I wonder if they will do anything to get the rest of my money back. Just though I would put out an FYI in case anyone was planning on bidding on this auction. I am half tempted to even email cougar. 8O

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:20 pm 

bclarkie wrote:The worst part of it is that I inadvertantly left a positive feedback for him in error.

Why not "win" it again just to make amends with the feedback. :twisted:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 15 of 112123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 110111112