Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 108 of 112123 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109110111112
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:29 pm 

why only a thread for shady dealers and not for shady buyers as well?

more messages from ebay sellers of people from here trying to get them to close auctions cheap after bids on the table so they can sell their own less good copies and get better copies free of charge or at a profit

stop it and grow some ethics please

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:10 pm 

ATOM wrote:God bless im....he was trying to get a TSR Silver Anniversary Boxed set for ages. I was after another one a few months ago and he must have bid
on at least six seperate ones. He never got carried away with the bidding
though and left em if they got too high! MMM...I hear his pretzels are to die for!

I'm pretty sure he has a few of the Silver Anniversary sets already but is looking to pick up more of them if he can get them at a reasonable price.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:29 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:why only a thread for shady dealers and not for shady buyers as well?

more messages from ebay sellers of people from here trying to get them to close auctions cheap after bids on the table so they can sell their own less good copies and get better copies free of charge or at a profit

stop it and grow some ethics please

Here it is....

Idiot Bidders List

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:19 pm 

Here's a bona-fide shady dealer:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0101763665

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0101763545

Here's a couple of re-wrapped items.  When I got them I could tell the wrap was not original.  Burn marks on the seams and just too much cover wear.  I did contact the seller and they were more than happy to give me refund half the price.  On X8 they said they forgot to change the condition from new to used.

I opened the modules today and they are both used.  X8 even has a detached and cut page.  My guess is they are a store that does their own re-wrapping in order to put their inventory label on the plastic.  In any event they need to indicate that the items are re-wrapped in their ad.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:03 pm 

Speaking of Shady Dealers, check out this winner(he just listed a bunch of modules):

** expired/removed eBay auction **

$6.60 Media shipping for one module?  Or $9.00 for Priority mail shipping?  I am sooooo tempted to ask him if he is planning on shipping these modules encased in concrete?  :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:48 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:Here's a bona-fide shady dealer:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0101763665

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0101763545

Here's a couple of re-wrapped items.  When I got them I could tell the wrap was not original.  Burn marks on the seams and just too much cover wear.  I did contact the seller and they were more than happy to give me refund half the price.  On X8 they said they forgot to change the condition from new to used.

I opened the modules today and they are both used.  X8 even has a detached and cut page.  My guess is they are a store that does their own re-wrapping in order to put their inventory label on the plastic.  In any event they need to indicate that the items are re-wrapped in their ad.

Re-wrapping drives me nuts. I once bought a battlesystem boxed set that was in shrink, sold it on ebay, and the buyer informed me that the lead figures were missing (and buyer was a multiple purchaser who was very trustworthy)...found out later the store I bought it off was re-shrinking anything that looked brand new so he could sell it as new.  Needless to say he lost a customer that day.  :evil:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:01 pm 

Speaking of Shady Dealers, check out this winner(he just listed a bunch of modules):

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-Dungeon-Module- ... au-dAmberv il_W0QQitemZ180111393748QQihZ008QQcategoryZ44112QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Look, the seller has no feedback rating. :lol: Maybe they will only charge $4 for additional wins :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:07 pm 

Re-wrapping drives me nuts. I once bought a battlesystem boxed set that was in shrink, sold it on ebay, and the buyer informed me that the lead figures were missing (and buyer was a multiple purchaser who was very trustworthy)...found out later the store I bought it off was re-shrinking anything that looked brand new so he could sell it as new.  Needless to say he lost a customer that day.

Can anyone come up with a legitimate reason to re-wrap a 25-year old item?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:22 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:
Look, the seller has no feedback rating. :lol: Maybe they will only charge $4 for additional wins :roll:

Well, I couldn't help myself earlier so I asked:

bclarkie wrote:Dear Seller, I was looking at your auctions here and I was wondering why the shipping cost is so high. I just checked USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) and calculated that the amount of weight that an item(s) would have to be to get anywhere near $6.59 for Media Mail shipping from your zip code and based on the site it would be around 13 pounds. Now the last time I checked, a standard size D&D module weighs roughly 4 to 6 Ounces all by itself. Are your shipping costs correct? Thanks for your time.

To which I got a response of:

Moron Seller wrote:Thanks for your question, and yes, the shipping cost is correct. If you've ever shipped anything, you understand that actual postage as calculated on the USPS website is only part of shipping costs, and my shipping rate reflects this. Thanks again for your inquiry.

After hearing that condescending answer, I decided to respond with:

bclarkie wrote:Hmm, after over 2000 successful Ebay sales in the last 8+ years, yes I am actually quite familiar with how the USPS charges and what it actually costs to ship things out, thus my query. In other words, what you are saying is that you have an unstated $5.00 handling cost worked into your listed shipping cost to ship a beat up 4 ounce booklet in effort to fleece over any potential bidders who don't know any better. $5 huh? Interesting to say the least. I will be sure to pass on this information to any potential interested bidders at the collectors website I visit on a daily basis. Thanks again for your time.

In which he responded just a bit ago with this little nugget of brilliance:

Moron Seller wrote:As you have clearly demonstraged, my shipping rates are available to all bidders before they place a bid. My shipping rate certainly includes a handling fee in accordance with eBay's policies. My shipping cost is generally in line with many of the flat fees listed on my competitors' auctions for the same products, but my starting price is much lower to reflect the quality of the book, which I pointed out in the description and is clear in the photo (again, as you effectively demonstrated very effectively). I'm not sure what your beef is, but if trashing a stranger over the internet is how you get your kicks, by all means, do what you have to do.

I decided that any further response would not be worth it, so the long story short, avoid this one at all costs.  :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:55 pm 

Well, Brian, you may have "demonstraged", but at least you did so clearly.   :lol:

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:23 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
I decided that any further response would not be worth it, so the long story short, avoid this one at all costs.  :wink:

Wow, if I had those sorts of shipping charges, I could retire early..... 8O

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:53 am 

I needled him about the shipping, and he posted the reply.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:17 am 

This is interesting,

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I emailed him to end it now, along with doing a local pickup and he said this:

Sorry, one boxe here in WA and two in MT (forgot to write that on the listing, sorry), so I cant do local for all of it. Also not willing to end it for flat 100.00, this collection is probably worth about a grand. Thanks though!

Where is the fourth box at, Canada? Worth a grand huh? No negotiation?
Oh well....I tried.

A grand?! Maybe I should send it cougies way (wave to the coug)

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:07 am 

LOL, well it's worth a lot more than a hundred bucks. How can you get upset when you try to bamboozle the guy and he doesn't bite?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:30 am 

agree with dreadlord. posted in wrong thread

ethics continue short to complain ebayers wont kowtow and sell cheap on demand :? :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:39 am 

Not to pile on Kosh, but I have to agree with DL39 and RsT.  I could understand the concern about not "supposedly" having all the material on hand, but the fact that he denied your attempt to fleece him over isn't shady at all and to be honest has me scratching my head. :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:40 am 

The statement about items not being local, might just be a convenient excuse to have to meet someone for a pick-up.  I flat out will NOT do local pick-ups, I don't like meeting people I don't know just to save them money, it's a hassle for me and I just feel uncomfortable while doing it.  The seller might have feelings along that line, but just not want to make the questioner feel badly about it and just made up a reason.  Just a thought...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:15 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Not to pile on Kosh, but I have to agree with DL39 and RsT.  I could understand the concern about not "supposedly" having all the material on hand, but the fact that he denied your attempt to fleece him over isn't shady at all and to be honest has me scratching my head. :?

Actually, I had never intended for him to just sell it at 100. I was expecting him to make an offer and do a local pickup. Saves him time on packaging and shipping, and he gets cash in hand with no waiting.

Fleecing....
I am trying to learn from the best here you know.

...and yes, I should have posted this somewhere else (where escapes me at the moment, maybe the OT thread)

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 108 of 112123 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109110111112