Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 102 of 112123 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 110111112
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:50 am 

FormCritic wrote:I haven't been able to find One Who Walked Alone at a reasonable price.

I have collected comic books and rpg stuff but never books...with the sole exception of REH. I was hooked at an early age when I got my first conan book from the library. I think I was about 11 or 12. 35 years later those books are still special. I only have paperbacks and they are nothing grand, but I will not part with them.

Somehow, Howard was able to capture something in his style that keeps his stories fresh no matter how many times you read them.

What movie are you guys talking about?

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:56 am 

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:19 am 

ATOM wrote:[ Image ]

8O

Couple of things you missed though:

1) I am willing to bet Coug weighs in at about 400 lbs.  Those man-boobs aren't nearly big enough.
2) See if you can photoshop in a colostomy bag.  I have heard from very reliable sources that he has one and it is constantly needing to be emptied.*

* Cause he is so full of shit!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:33 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote: 8O

8O

I'm not offended or annoyed, but seeing this picture in two threads is almost enough to make me want to get back to work.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:42 am 

Hmmm...that would very well explain his liking for free M-Bags!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:57 pm 

Beware of this one:

eBay listings

He has some nice items. However, he overcharges shipping a lot.

I paid 20 dollars for shipping, but the envelope stated 9.15. And it took over one month to be delivered, so it was definitely not worth 20 dollars.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:17 pm 

bbarsh wrote:What movie are you guys talking about?

Yeah, there's a lot of titles that get thrown about when REH is discussed. :)

The movie is The Whole Wide World, starring Vincent D'Onofrio and Renée Zellweger before both became really, really well known.

It is based in large part on the book called One Who Walked Alone, by Novalyne Price Ellis, who was close to Howard during his Conan era. Her character is played by Zellwegger.

Here's an IMDB link for the film: Whole Wide World

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:20 pm 

I own the movie...it's around here somewhere...but I have never taken the time to watch it.  Odd.

I think I paid $3 for it at Blockbuster.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:25 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I own the movie...it's around here somewhere...but I have never taken the time to watch it.  Odd.

It's a great film. I've shown it to two non-Howard fans, including my wife (who couldn't pick the guy out of a photo array for a $500 prize), and both thought it was great.

For Howard fans, it's pure gold.

Spring break must be coming up soon, Mark — get on it!  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:53 pm 

I have a problem with a popular seller of D&D stuff.  I bought an item from him (a small item) off of EBay and just after I bought the item I noticed his shipping price was $20.00!  This small item I thought could only cost $3-$4 to ship to me so I immediately E-mailed him asking to cancel the sale as I can't justify to myself overpaying shipping that much.

His return E-mail told me he would reduce shipping to $12.95 so for some reason I bought the item anyway thinking he probably uses a courier or global priority mail or something expensive.

Well today I got the item and he shipped it letter airmail at a cost of $3.25, overcharged shipping by almost $10.00.  I let him know I was unhappy and here is his reply (edited to keep anonymity for now):

Hello,

Yes the escalated shipping is to cover the costs of ebay fees and the typically very low prices the items go for on ebay.  I've sold a ton of "items" "edit edit edit" for 2x what you paid so you got a VERY fair price!  This is typical of all of our auctions, and quite frankly, most of the ones I see where I buy personal items on there.  Just last night I was shopping for a few model ships for my desk and I see they are $9.95 plus $45 shipping (and I know the shipping is only $10 or so). Buyers take the shipping into account when placing there bids, so it should be considered a cost of the item.  Didn't I already drop the fee quite a bit for you, even after you had bid on it and I had every reason to demand that you pay the full listed price?

That said, I would be willing to give you a $7 credit towards a purchase of $100 or more on our website if there is anything you want, or $4 off a $50 one.  The shipping costs on the website are within a $1-2 of the actual charges.

I hope we can work this out without bitterness, but I'm a little surprised about this email over a few dollars when I've already went the extra mile here.

Best Regards,
"Ebay Seller"

I am tempted to leave a neg but he has a good reputation (on this board anyway) and I do not want to smear him publically.

What would you guys do??

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:29 am 

Tough one.
On the one hand the shipping was clearly stated, so he's right in that respect, and he then discounted it slightly(though nowhere near enough).
This guy clearly nows that he is ethically in the wrong - problem is that ethics and ebay don't necesarilly go together.

If I were you I would refer him to the ebay policy for ovecharging shhipping and go from there
eBay: Redirect

If he had said the $10 was 'handling' while he stood in the queue at the post office then you wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.However his response to you would be, I'm reasonably sure, adequate information for ebay to take issue with the seller, as he has obviously used over inflated charges to make up for the low selling price.

I also don't know how you feel about 'outing' him on the forums. I would imagine that anyone of us could probably do some research and identify this seller, so his anonymity is probably moot in any case.

Sorry if all of this is a bit rambling - What I would do would depend on my mood at the time!! - Negging him is an option as is 'outing' him - But, particularly with some issues we've had recently with certain people on these boards I would try and do the 'right' thing - it's only a few dollars, weigh that cost up against taking the decent moral stance - something that this seller has lost already.

Good luck whatever you decide

Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:34 am 

If he had the $20.00 shipping posted on his auction I don't think he deserves a negative feedback.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:39 am 

SH60B wrote:If he had the $20.00 shipping posted on his auction I don't think he deserves a negative feedback.

Possibly not - but using such tactics in your auctions opens you up to such repercussions; and it would be quite difficult to have much sympathy.

I'm not saying that this is right, but I can see why it might happen.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:24 am 

SH60B wrote:If he had the $20.00 shipping posted on his auction I don't think he deserves a negative feedback.

You are right, I will just let this drop.

Thanks

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:31 am 

Blackmoor wrote:What would you guys do??

Identify him publicly, for a start ... although the "on our website" part certainly narrows the field down quite a bit.

Shipping profiteering is expressly forbidden on eBay, so you defintely have some recourse if you want it.*

+++++

*Although I just noticed in my other browser window that you're letting it drop. So nevermind. But, hell, I've already typed all this, so ...  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:36 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:
*Although I just noticed in my other browser window that you're letting it drop. So nevermind. But, hell, I've already typed all this, so ...  :)

Post builder.....shame on you  :roll:  :lol:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:40 am 

Yeah, but I'd already done all that damn typing ... it seemed like such a waste to let it go.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the "introduce yourself" thread to greet the most recent dozen posters as if I've known them for years. Then, I'm picking 20 threads at random and adding "I agree" after the last entries in each.  :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:19 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:
Post builder.....shame on you  :roll:  :lol:

a terrible thing to do :lol:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 102 of 112123 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 110111112