Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 101 of 112123 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 110111112
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:28 am 

brute wrote:You are new and the seller is disorganized.

I had recently asked this seller to send pics/info for auctions with no pics. He would send info for the wrong auction and give pic for the wrong item. But, he ultimately got things right after patience and he was courteous.

Don't know if he deliberately broke the deal you had - that would move him up to shady, perhaps. Sorry for your trouble.

I don't know if he is a shady dealer.  What I do know is that he was not trying real hard to make the deal with you.

Chalk it up to Ebay experience and don't deal with that guy in the future.  There are too many good sellers to worry about him.

Also...there is always another deal to come on Ebay, if you have patience.

Don't leave feedback for the seller.  Make him sweat that you might leave him negative feedback...until the time limit expires for both of you.  Unless you want a negative feedback from him, forego the pleasure of slamming his feedback.

If he does neg you anway...well...then you have 90 days from that point to compose a really cutting negative reply.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:23 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I am reading De Camp's biography of Howard at the moment:  Dark Valley Destiny.

Are your eyes bleeding yet? What a steaming pile of ... wait, I should just let you read it. Don't mind me.

Spotting that avatar as being Howard is fine and all, but here's the real challenge: who took the photo? :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:13 pm 

John Fante, before his diabetes left him blind.

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:26 pm 

Really? I thought it was Novalyne Price ... and I call myself a Howard fan?  :oops:

+++++

(And isn't this an interesting topic-shift? :) )

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:35 pm 

I have no idea.  Just took a stab in the dark.   :D

Who is the person you mentioned?

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:42 pm 

She was Howard's ... well, pick your favorite term: "girlfriend," "one great love," "faithful companion," ... it depends on who is telling the story. At the very least, no one argues that they weren't good friends.

She's the author of "One Who Walked Alone," a look back at what it was like to know Howard in the mid-'30s. She was played by Renée Zellweger in the movie, if that helps. :)

+++++

I feel the need to say something on-topic. Let's see ... oh, I've got it. Cougar, you suck. And karma is coming for you!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:40 pm 

THERE CANN BE ONLY JUAN!!!

Yeah i saw that movie a few months ago.That scary dude from Full Metal
Jacket played the part of R.E Howard.I loved the part when he was shadow boxing up the main street like he was fighting an invisible demon
or something!

The critics used to jeer him and call him a Texas Yahoo....!

But for me and FormCritic and a lot of people he will be fondly remembered for his brilliant captivating writing style.Conan really
was a work of literary genius....from a self educated, witty and
obiously brilliant man...and as someone else once said "He may
not be an Oxford educated JRR Tolkien, but maybe we like Texas
Yahoos".

I still have a beans box from CougLander with about 50 used stamps stuck onto
it.Maybe i will use it as my next avatar?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:11 pm 

Thanks for the replies to my long-winded post guys.  I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience.  The only thing that really griped me was seeing the item that we had a deal on that went buy it now for a higher amount, but why stress over it...its a $3 (or $7.50, depending on the buyer, lol)item.

Great site, btw, I learned alot just scanning all the threads!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:23 pm 

Do not loose faith Jarloch E-Bay is generally okay for buying D&D items.
As you said study the forums and learn what scams to look out for.Beware
of known shady dealers...check their feedback.It is good that you have
a price set in you head already for an item.Some bidders get cought up
in a mad bidding frenzy and only later realise that they have paid way over the odds for the goods.Be wary of Auctions that are not concise
and especially ones where no postage/packing costs are included.It always turns out to be expensive later as usually the seller just makes up
a rediculously high sum for postage.

Also there are various D&D bookstores on the web that sell D&D stuff
but sometimes it works out more expensive than E-Bay.But still worth
a look.
Goodluck with your new collection!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:46 pm 

I haven't been able to find One Who Walked Alone at a reasonable price.

I have read Dark Valley Destiny being panned and dumped on.  Still...it was a reasonable price and it is one more biography than I had.

Interesting that someone would think Oxford might have improved Tolkien's writing.  I have been part of discussion groups with professors who were ripping his writing apart.  They were so snotty and puffed-up that it became one of the few times that I have ripped into someone online.  (I have little real respect for professors....not that they aren't smart and all that...but they seem to think that a doctorate makes them an expert in everything.  The only group of people I have met who were more collectively pig-headed are reporters.)

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:33 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-and-Dragons-Wilde ... dZViewItem

Sorry, but this qualifies as really shady.  Obviously the seller hopes the potential buyer won't see this:

Crook :evil:

He relisted it though and generously lowered the S&H to 30  :roll:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:55 am 

FormCritic wrote:Interesting that someone would think Oxford might have improved Tolkien's writing.  I have been part of discussion groups with professors who were ripping his writing apart.  They were so snotty and puffed-up that it became one of the few times that I have ripped into someone online.  (I have little real respect for professors....not that they aren't smart and all that...but they seem to think that a doctorate makes them an expert in everything.  The only group of people I have met who were more collectively pig-headed are reporters.)

Mark

i just find these kind of things quite amusing. you could realistically call Tolkein whatever you like. do you think any of his family will care, when youre sitting on top of the greatest selling book of all time?

i have met quite a few professors over the years, who were boffed up with one thing or another. but any respect i once might have had for them, went way west, when i watched one trying to change the plug on a tv and couldnt do it.

:roll:

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:00 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:
He relisted it though and generously lowered the S&H to 30  :roll:

just another example of a little pleb who hasnt got a clue what he is doing...... bloody muppet.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 am 

I e-mailed him about the shipping, and reported it to eBay. His response was along the lines of "what's the harm". I told him the books weren't even worth 1/2 the shipping and he never mailed back.
Poor little muppet.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:42 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I e-mailed him about the shipping, and reported it to eBay. His response was along the lines of "what's the harm". I told him the books weren't even worth 1/2 the shipping and he never mailed back.
Poor little muppet.

ppl like that always get whats due to them in the end.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:30 pm 

Re: Pinske

brute wrote:You are new and the seller is disorganized.

I had recently asked this seller to send pics/info for auctions with no pics. He would send info for the wrong auction and give pic for the wrong item. But, he ultimately got things right after patience and he was courteous.

Don't know if he deliberately broke the deal you had - that would move him up to shady, perhaps. Sorry for your trouble.

I received my Mongoose books yesterday.  They were one stack of books wrapped in one layer of bubblewrap inside a huge padded envelope.  The solid mass o' books was kinda loose inside the envelope, no cardboard, envelope ripped up badly, but books arrived intact.

Before the posts in this thread, he refunded a dollar-and-some-change in shipping, which I first misread as his refunding the entire purchase price.

So . . . his auctions worked out for me.  I just bid low and stuck to it without attempting to work some other deal through eBay.  I was briefly tempted, since Mongoose books sell for diddly-squat.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:40 pm 

Yeah, I wanted to report back also since I had raised my questions earlier.

My stuff also arrived wednesday.  It was packaged as JohnGaunt described, but as I am not a collector but instead a tabletop user it was sufficent.  Everything was as described in the auction.

Also, perhaps because of the miscommunications between us, I saw he threw in an extra folder with a 2E and 3E DM's screen, some 3E character sheets, extra maps (some FR, some I have no clue as to what they are to as I've been out of the hobby for a few years) and what look to be 2E spell sheets of some kind, probably released after I got out in '93.  

Since I can use some of this (especially the 2E DM's screen), I appreciate the unexpected grab-bag of material.  

Things all and all turned out positive.  I might not submit an email for a group deal, but I wouldn't advise a gaming buddy to not put in an individual bid through the regular process with him.

Thanks again for all of your advice, etc. here.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:04 pm 

Glad it worked out.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 101 of 112123 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 110111112