Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 98 of 112123 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 110111112
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:30 am 

I know this dealer has served time here but he had just re-listed his S/W Monster Manual.  Someone didn't buy it, did they?

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0061376079

Anyway I bring him up because I purchased this lot from him and FYI the Egg of the Phoenix module I12 included with the lot was a cover only.  No books included.  Funny though I12 was the only item that was just the cover.  Clearly the seller was being deceitful.  He can't claim ignorance because (1) he had to pick up the cover for the photo which would have alerted to him that it was empty and (2) he has tried to sell a falsely S/W Monster Manual so he has some clue as to what is going on.  As dishonest as they come.  BTW, I emailed him about 4 times about the missing I12 book and he never replied.  Go figure?

I12 aside the lot wasn't that bad.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:27 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:I'm asking for opinions here.  I recently purchased a lot of 9 hardcover, mostly 2nd edition, books.  The listing described the books in VERY good shape.  The books arrived and were in decent shape but 5 of the books had laminated covers.  The listing made no mention of this, other than to ask questions about specific items.  Asking a seller if books have a laminated cover is, in my mind, not a typical question.  I emailed seller about why this wasn't mentioned and am awaiting reply.  Is it just me or would anyone else feel a bit deceived?

Here's the link to the listing:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0074839878

Basic answer is yes... I would say the seller was looking at them as a player though rather than a collector

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." Margaret Thatcher

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:37 pm 

celmive wrote:
Basic answer is yes... I would say the seller was looking at them as a player though rather than a collector

I would agree.  As a player, he probably thought laminating the books was a great idea and in fact added to their condition.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:39 pm 

I don't think I would feel deceived about this one.  I would probably feel disappointed with the ones that are laminated but not deceived.  The seller doesn't give much of a description of the books at all.  If you wanted a better description about marks, highlighting, etc that should have been asked and the laminating might have been brought up.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:59 pm 

I would agree.  As a player, he probably thought laminating the books was a great idea and in fact added to their condition.

I don't think I would feel deceived about this one.  I would probably feel disappointed with the ones that are laminated but not deceived.  The seller doesn't give much of a description of the books at all.  If you wanted a better description about marks, highlighting, etc that should have been asked and the laminating might have been brought up.

Thanks for the responses.  Given that the books are not really that collectible anyway I guess it's really not too big a deal.  I just wasn't sure how to react on this one.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:05 pm 

Mars wrote:I don't think I would feel deceived about this one.  I would probably feel disappointed with the ones that are laminated but not deceived.  The seller doesn't give much of a description of the books at all.  If you wanted a better description about marks, highlighting, etc that should have been asked and the laminating might have been brought up.

I don't know if I would feel decieved because the seller didn't expressly say that they are not covered in contact paper, but I certainly would not be happy about it. I mean I don't expect every seller to list every minute detail of every item, but IMO if you are substantially altering the original book in the form of putting contact paper on the coverds, you should be listing it in the auction, its your responsibility as a seller.

To me, that would be like a seller who 3 hole punced a bunch of modules and didn't disclose it in the auction.  Yeah, the 3-hole punching doesn't affect the "play" quality of the modules and if stored away in a 3 ring binder may in fact save the modules from damage, but it certainly is something that any reasonable seller should be listing in the auction description.  I mean just looking at those books and the way that they are stacked in the auction picture, they could have just as easily been 3-hole punched as well and you alos could not tell from the picture listed the way that it is.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:02 pm 

bclarkie wrote:but IMO if you are substantially altering the original book in the form of putting contact paper on the coverds, you should be listing it in the auction, its your responsibility as a seller.

True dat. Alterations, no matter what form, need to be mentioned. This one is an open-and-shut case; I'd be pissed.

There's only one step down for a seller who is too lazy or too shifty to not mention alterations, and that is Cougar-Ville. I'm talking about the twisted logic where jacktards such as the Coug will sell an item without a map, then chastise the buyer for not asking about it specifically beforehand.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:35 pm 

Well here is an auction that just goes to show you that not every shill is done by a newbie bidder  This auction ended earlier today:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Now amazingly enough its back up again:

Same auction as before.  Now take a look at where the high bidder from the previous auction was from:

Hmmm... how about that, the exact same city.  Also, note that both the buyer and seller seemingly have a P as the first letter of their last name.  Do you think that is a husband and wife shill team there?  I think so. :evil: Time to report, report, report....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well here is an auction that just goes to show you that not every shill is done by a newbie bidder  This auction ended earlier today:

Same auction as before.  Now take a look at where the high bidder from the previous auction was from:

Hmmm... how about that, the exact same city.  Also, note that both the buyer and seller seemingly have a P as the first letter of their last name.  Do you think that is a husband and wife shill team there?  I think so. :evil: Time to report, report, report....

It's a cert. I asked a question about this item and the response came from a guy called Richard Perkins ... a day or so before rjperkins2 'won' the auction. I've asked the seller for an explanation ... wonder if I'll get one?

~/00\~

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:08 pm 

Martian Reprobate wrote:
It's a cert. I asked a question about this item and the response came from a guy called Richard Perkins ... a day or so before rjperkins2 'won' the auction. I've asked the seller for an explanation ... wonder if I'll get one?

~/00\~

If you look at both of their previous feedbacks, this is not the first time its been done either. :evil:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:14 pm 

bclarkie wrote:If you look at both of their previous feedbacks, this is not the first time its been done either. :evil:

I think this is more common on eBay than a lot of people might believe.  

I'm not condoning the behaviour, but my guess is that it is for a slightly different reason than a standard "shilling" operation.  (You know, the ones where a rapid newbie account bids things up incrementally to milk bidders out of as much cash as possible).

I think it's being used as a way of circumventing the "reserve bid" and "minimum bid" fees.  They probably think they're clever, and probably don't even realize it's illegal/immoral.  

I quite distinctly recall my wife asking me if she should bid on my stuff to make sure I got a fair price, when I first started selling.  She honestly thought she was helping out.  (I told her that didn't seem fair.  Apparently it's also against eBay rules, but a lot of newbies don't read all the rules.)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:23 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I think this is more common on eBay than a lot of people might believe.  

I'm not condoning the behaviour, but my guess is that it is for a slightly different reason than a standard "shilling" operation.  (You know, the ones where a rapid newbie account bids things up incrementally to milk bidders out of as much cash as possible).

I think it's being used as a way of circumventing the "reserve bid" and "minimum bid" fees.  They probably think they're clever, and probably don't even realize it's illegal/immoral.  

I quite distinctly recall my wife asking me if she should bid on my stuff to make sure I got a fair price, when I first started selling.  She honestly thought she was helping out.  (I told her that didn't seem fair.  Apparently it's also against eBay rules, but a lot of newbies don't read all the rules.)

Perhaps, but its shilling just the same, no matter how you try and slice it.  On top of the shilling, this individual saw fit to leave themselves feedback on several previous transactions, so because of that they get the official Ass Hat award from me:

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:31 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
If you look at both of their previous feedbacks, this is not the first time its been done either. :evil:

Not to mention a history of 'exaggerating' the quality of their wares.

Worthy additions to this rogues gallery methinks ...

By the way, in the interests of full disclosure, I am otherwise known as BookWyvern, so their greed did save me from a potentially expensive mistake ... I always did have a keen appreciation for the ironies of life.

~/00\~

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:55 am 

Martian Reprobate wrote:
Not to mention a history of 'exaggerating' the quality of their wares.

Worthy additions to this rogues gallery methinks ...

By the way, in the interests of full disclosure, I am otherwise known as BookWyvern, so their greed did save me from a potentially expensive mistake ... I always did have a keen appreciation for the ironies of life.

~/00\~

Ah, so your the Wyvern :) I'm the Wyrm
Don't think we've ever bid against each other, but you've been mentioned before in relation to my handle on Ebay (We like 'Book' it seems :wink: )

Welcome!

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:14 pm 

Hi Plaag,

Thanks for the welcome!

Actually I came across that thread when I first started browsing this site a while ago. That was in connection with the SW Planescape Hellbound bid last year, wasn't it? I wondered who they were refering to as Wyrm. My ears were burning for a while ... I blame lingering noobie-ism and a rather rampant taste for shrinkwrap, which I try to control these days. (Don't they have meds for this kind of thing? Heh ... if they did, the meds would be more expensive than the 'disease' most likely!)

Pleased to ~virtually~ meet you. As for going up together in some auction sometime, there'll be no hard feelings. All good clean -- if occasionally expensive -- fun. Glad I found this place before making some other expensive mistakes.

Yes, I like Book(s), but on eBay I seem to have gone for PnP & computer RPGs (I got on eBay to plug some holes in my collection, only to discover I had more than I ever dreamt (or should that be 'nightmared'?) of. Not that I need more books ... have a few thousand of those already!

~/00\~

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:08 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well here is an auction that just goes to show you that not every shill is done by a newbie bidder  This auction ended earlier today:

Damn, do I really hate it when these shady a** holes go down. :D

*waves bye bye to the shillers*

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:28 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Damn, do I really hate it when these shady a** holes go down. :D

*waves bye bye to the shillers*

[ Image ]

well done once again BC. good work

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:05 am 

I am in awe of this epic feedback battle between the Coug and asylum-books-and-games...   8O

eBay Feedback Profile for asylum-books-and-games

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 98 of 112123 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 110111112