Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 84 of 100123 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 9899100
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:35 am 

What a nimrod :roll:

Cougie that is!

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:45 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:  and am quietly amazed at bclarkie's CSI-The Acaeum starring role.

:D  :D  :D

CSI-The Acaeum - sounds like good idea for a new game!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:40 am 

Heheh.

** expired eBay auction **

This one wasn't me.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:32 am 

Just for clarification could someone post the definition for "trolling", being a "troll" etc.

It's becoming more common on the threads, and I'm sorta getting the gist of it. :?

We don't have a lot of water here, let alone bridges for the buggers to live under, so don't see many of them.

(intention is not taking the p;ss, or fanning any flames regarding any previous posts/people. Just wanted to know.)

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:46 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:Just for clarification could someone post the definition for "trolling", being a "troll" etc.

It's becoming more common on the threads, and I'm sorta getting the gist of it. :?

We don't have a lot of water here, let alone bridges for the buggers to live under, so don't see many of them.

(intention is not taking the p;ss, or fanning any flames regarding any previous posts/people. Just wanted to know.)

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:38 am 

This is probably a better explanation Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:22 am 

thehiddenone wrote:This is probably a better explanation Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh sure be that way.. I know what you are trying to do:

Flaming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:P  :wink:  :D

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:08 am 

For what its worth ... Don't Lock This Thread.  I would rather read the remarks and come to my own conclusions then not hear them at all.  8)

bclarkie wrote:Everything that I have said and done to this point about this has been because of the fact that it pissed me off that others lost out at an opportunity at those auctions and not me.

We are lucky to have a few individuals in this forum that have the time and energy to put the pieces together of some of these nastier puzzles.  Given the amount of crap I have seen on eBay it pays to be extra careful.

bclarkie wrote:that was bought on behalf of someone else from this forum, so that isn't even my purchase either.

Hmmm ... I take it that would be me  :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:10 pm 

I just finished reading through most of this thread and I wish that I had joined Acaeum sooner and been aware of these sellers. I recently had a poor experience with "Cougie" (cougarrinard) that I thought that I might share. I read through several pages of his Feedback and it is strange, as he has lots of Positive feedback and even a recent Buyer that made some good purchases:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0038812816
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0038811837

Prior to my recent transaction, I had an 'okay' transaction with him and we even had an email exchange in which he shared a bit of his life story with me, which was . . . interesting  :roll:

Anyhow, here are the events as they transpired:
On 10/25/06, I purchased and paid for a GAZ11 & UK4 for 22.50GBP ($43.25), including S&H, both of which were advertised as VGC. I now know that VGC does not stand for "Very Good Condition", but that it stands for "Variable Gaming Condition".
On 12/05/06, I contacted seller that items had not been received. He stated that they should show up here or return to him with "the Xmas post".  I asked for a 50% refund, since I had not purchased insurance (my fault for trying to save $$ due to pricey S&H), which he stated that he did not have to do anything, but would offer me a 50% credit towards any additional purchases, due to our past transaction. I neither declined or accepted, but stated that another UK seller gave me a FULL refund after an item did not arrive and all I asked for was a refund of the item price, which I would repay if the item arrived.
On 12/18/06, the items arrived in silver-grey plastic package with a postmark of 11 DEC 2006. I contacted seller to say they arrived and asked what he would do if I returned the items unopened. Seller stated that he would refund purchase price (not S&H), minus eBay & PayPal fees, which would give me less than a 50% refund, after including my cost to return the items.
I contacted seller to say that I opened the package in the hopes that I would be able to re-sell them for more than his refund. The UK4 was in barely VGC and the GAZ11 cover was pretty beaten up, which could have been from origination or due to package being opened and re-packaged. I stated that I would leave a NEUTRAL feedback, which I felt was a fair & reasonable account. My notes even stated that I should have bought insurance and it was, "my fault".
Seller responds with NEGATIVE feedback and says he offered a refund (nothing about partial) and "why does he bother". Immediately afterwards, I receive an offer to Mutually Withdraw Feedback. I feel as though the seller is using eBay tools to strongarm me into cleaning up a Neutral FB by slamming me with Negtive FB. Feeling I have no other option, I agree to mutually withdraw.

Can someone please tell me if there is anything I (or we) can do or what I could have done differently . . . other than NOT dealing with him? If you look at his Neutral & Negative FB, you will see that the majority of it is WITHDRAWN, which leads me to believe that he is using this same tactic to bully people into withdrawing their honest Neutral or Negative feedback.

Thank You in Advance - PM

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:25 pm 

The two things I would have done differently are, first and foremost, don't buy anything you can get from someone else from the Coug.  Sometimes, you can get some rare items for fairly cheap and it might be worth the risk.

Second, you should have responded with a negative feedback not neutral.  Ebay's feedback system has so many problems that in general when you give a negative (anytime before the 90th day) expect to get negative feedback in return.  Ebay's mutual feedback remove is just a tool for crappy sellers to make themselves look better.  If you are a good seller and get an occassional negative from someone it shouldn't hurt your rating much.  Crappy sellers get tons of negatives and can probably clear up half of them with the mutual feedback removal.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:49 pm 

Mars wrote:
Second, you should have responded with a negative feedback not neutral. Ebay's feedback system has so many problems that in general when you give a negative (anytime before the 90th day) expect to get negative feedback in return.

I agree with your assessment, but it is a double-edge "bastard" sword. If I had left Negative FB, then I knew he would reciprocate, but I honestly felt that Neutral FB was fair and both of us could have honestly stated our trading experiences without negatively impacting our feedback scores. In retrospect, I should not have left any feedback for him, as that is the only way to get a true Neutral score  :wink:

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:02 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:Mars wrote:

I agree with your assessment, but it is a double-edge "bastard" sword. If I had left Negative FB, then I knew he would reciprocate, but I honestly felt that Neutral FB was fair and both of us could have honestly stated our trading experiences without negatively impacting our feedback scores. In retrospect, I should not have left any feedback for him, as that is the only way to get a true Neutral score  :wink:

Sorry Paul, I couldn't disagree with you more in this circumstance.  Unfortunately Couager has a feedback rating as "Good" as it is because of the tactics that he uses.  I would have left a Neg or Neutral and kept it.  Cougar could care less what your feedback score is, he got exactly what he wanted and that was the truthful comments that you left removed.  Now some other unsuspecting buyer is going to come along and see that he has a decent feedback score without realizing that it is misleading and fall into the same trap that you did. That is Cougar's whole MO and as long as buyers who continue to get duped allow him to get away with it by either mutually withdrawing thier feedback or leaving no feedback at all, it is going to continue.  Ebay's mutual withdrawl system is probably more flawed than the feedback system itself is.  The only way that someone should be allowed to with draw there feedback that they left is if they clearly left the feedback in error i.e "Great Seller, fantastic transaction!" left inadvertantly as a negative feedback. Everything else should stay, because otherwise it allows sellers like Cougar to thrive by bullying people with undeserved retailatory feedback just like he did to you.  I think that you had done everything right up until the part that you gave into to Coug's bullying and withdrew your feedback comments.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:10 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:Feeling I have no other option, I agree to mutually withdraw.

Can someone please tell me if there is anything I (or we) can do or what I could have done differently . . . other than NOT dealing with him? If you look at his Neutral & Negative FB, you will see that the majority of it is WITHDRAWN, which leads me to believe that he is using this same tactic to bully people into withdrawing their honest Neutral or Negative feedback.

Thank You in Advance - PM

#1, please share the "Life Experiences" info you got from Diamond Dave...this should be a hoot, and I need a good laugh before the holidays!

#2, BC is right.  A neg is not going to hurt you.  People feel a neg is a reflection on their manhood, on their worth as a human being, whatever, but frankly if you are mostly a buyer not  a seller it's totally meaningless.  By agreeing to be blackmailed by Coug, you simply make it easier for him to bend someone else over in the future.  Instead, now Coug simply chalks up another Mutual Withdraw, and his feedback dodges yet another neg.  

#3  Pursue whatever methods you can through ebay/paypal, including cancelling the transaction through your credit card company (not paypal) if you don't get resolution.  Your CC company works for YOU, not Cougie, and if you dispute the sale they will take it off your record, refund you, and Cougie isleft holding the bag.  Since the sale was totally misrepresented and you were coereced and threatened by the seller, you are well within your rights to get a full refund.  

#4 In the future carefully read a seller's feedback, including the positives (which often say a lot outside the lines), and for god's sake a seller that rambles on, mispells words, and can't keep a correct font straight in his item descriptions should scream "RED FLAG IM A DYSLEXIC MORON" to a potential buyer.  Avoid these types.

5.  Realize Mutually Withdrawn Feedback should be counted as NEGATIVES 99.9 percent of the time, and act accordingly.  Realistically, a legitimate seller shouldn't have anything approaching double digit Mutual Withdraws, and especially not half a hundred's worth.

6. Before you deal with a seller, it's worth the time to ask his policy on returns, lost packages, items substantially worst condition than indicated, etc. Anything less than a full refund or credit under these circumstances should make you suspicious, deal at your own risk.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:17 pm 

In answer to the below person's question.

Yes, I did buy these items from my own store

However

(a) I didn't do it to engage in "shill" bidding.  You can't "shill bid" a buy it now, you can only do that to an auction, in order to inflate the price.  These were buy-it-nows

(b) I didn't do it to "raise my feedback".  We're getting 3000+ feedback a month.  So whether positive or negative, buying items from myself to leave feedback would be a complete waste of time.  Not to mention, ebay actually only counts 1 feedback per buyer, for the % (from what I recall).  They do that to stop exactly what someone mentioned as a possibility

I did it actually to test a piece of the software we are using.  The only way to tell if part of our software works is to do a live ebay purchase, and see what the various emails or whatever I am testing look like to a live customer.  And rather than inflict some poor sap on ebay with the test, better to test on myself.  Since it cost me actual ebay listing fee $ when I test, you'll notice I bought from myself items at low value.  e.g. $0.99

p.s. eBay never mentioned anything to me about the message bcarkie sent in, so I guess they ignored it.  They probably thought it hilarious someone was accused of shill bidding on a buy it now item.

bclarkie wrote:I know that I promsed myself that I wasn't going to do this anymore, but I couldn't help myself on this one.  In lieu of bbarsh's classifieds post he just put a few minutes ago:

viewtopic.php?p=66584#66584

It caused to take a look at his closed auctions.  In doing this, it caused me stumble onto something very interesting indeed.  It seems that renvhoek bought up several of his items.  Now its well known to everyone here that renvhoek is actually the buying ID for none other than the habbitually listed in the "Silliest auction price of the year thread", trollandtoadstore.  Well, for whatever reason, I decided to look at what renvhoek has been bidding on recently:

Welcome to eBay

Upon looking at renvhoek appears to be one of Troll and Toad's better customers. :evil: i.e this listing

eBay '270021258689' - Invalid Item

and this listing as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8808762908

I knew these guys were assholes, I just didn't realize that they were bidding and buying from themselves for whatever reason.  Anyway, I just sent this into Ebay:

Hopefully, Ebay will act on this despite the fact that T and T is a larger store. Good riddance I say.........

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:26 pm 

Well now...this should be interesting...(looking at above post)

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:33 pm 

How many times does it need to be said?  T & T are outright crooked.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:36 am 

renvhoek wrote:In answer to the below person's question.

However

(a) I didn't do it to engage in "shill" bidding.  You can't "shill bid" a buy it now, you can only do that to an auction, in order to inflate the price.  These were buy-it-nows

(b) I didn't do it to "raise my feedback".  We're getting 3000+ feedback a month.  So whether positive or negative, buying items from myself to leave feedback would be a complete waste of time.  Not to mention, ebay actually only counts 1 feedback per buyer, for the % (from what I recall).  They do that to stop exactly what someone mentioned as a possibility

I did it actually to test a piece of the software we are using.  The only way to tell if part of our software works is to do a live ebay purchase, and see what the various emails or whatever I am testing look like to a live customer.  And rather than inflict some poor sap on ebay with the test, better to test on myself.  Since it cost me actual ebay listing fee $ when I test, you'll notice I bought from myself items at low value.  e.g. $0.99

p.s. eBay never mentioned anything to me about the message bcarkie sent in, so I guess they ignored it.  They probably thought it hilarious someone was accused of shill bidding on a buy it now item.

You guys are an absolute joke. Maybe I'll allow you to take advantage of my ignorance and buy one of your $16,000.00 Magic Cards. :roll: :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Maybe I need to report you again, it wouldn't be the first time that I had report someone more than once before they acted on it....

Oh and for the record, It sellers just like you is exactly the reason why we have this thread.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:00 am 

renvhoek wrote:In answer to the below person's question.

However

Oh and by the way, if the feedback really doesn't matter, then why did you leave feedback for the transaction anyway??? Its about 3/4 of the way down the feedback page:

eBay Feedback Profile for renvhoek

I guess that the feedback doesn't matter right.  I think that I will defintely report you again to Ebay until I get a response this time. And then when they boot all 3 of your IDs off, I will be sure to post it here too. :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:50 am 

Brian & Mike,

In a perfect world, this situation would never happen, but since it did, my potential negative feedback, as you both stated I should have done, would have been a miniscule drop in the bucket and buried on PAGE 8 of cougarrinard's feedback in a few weeks. I do not want to sound defeatist, but I was trapped and I knew it. I felt neutral was a fair assessment, as Dave clearly (as clearly as he can  :wink: ) posts his position regarding insurance, returns, and other various rantings. Granted I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, even you guys when I first made purchases, but now I know you better and feel that I can buy with complete confidence :D !!

Unfortunately, I would like to be able to re-sell some of the items I have purchased (for various reasons: condition, personal preference, duplicates, etc.) and having a 100% FB Score is a valuable tool, not to mention a pride issue. 8)

I have had a few negative experiences with a rare few sellers, but we were able to work things out via partial refunds, returns, or credits towards other purchases (if it was just a subjective condition issue). All of which made the experience a positive one and I have purchased from them again, as I now know their traits. I even had a few minor issues with Paul (Guido-the-Gypsy), but we worked them out and he has been incredibly fair, helpful, and reasonable. So I was stupid to give Cougie a second chance :oops:  and I got burned :x , but eBay should be aware of this guy's tatics, as he has to have one of the highest percentages of neutral or negative feedbacks withdrawn. I will contact them to point this out, but there needs to be more than one voice at the same time :!:

On a positive note, a seller just recently contacted me about Cougie, as I have been a good customer of his. He was contacted by Cougie about buying his items, but said that Cougie wrote his usual "blah, blah, blah" about other people's opinion of him. I gave him fair warning and told him to review this topic in this forum, which should be educational. On a related note, Cougie won an item I was bidding on a few weeks ago and the seller stipulated that she did not sell or ship international. She kept me in the loop, as I was the 2nd highest bidder and I had helped her with some additional information about the items she was selling. She contacted eBay, but Cougie then provided her with a U.S. address and she had to sell the item to him.  :evil:

Anyhow, I just chalk it up to another "Purple Worm" experience and know that I can use it to avoid those treacherous dark corners of eBay  :roll:

Lastly, for the benefit of Mike, here is the email you wanted to see:

-------------- Original message from  <[email protected]>: --------------

no problem at all.   I answer 500+ emails a day, & treble that on end of auction days.   I always try to answer everyone within 24 hours in any event.     Glad to help, good luck with the bidding.  plase dont leave it till last minute as something always happens & eachj & every week I get emials fropm snipers wehoi lmissed the end for whatever reasson (door bell, phone, boss, visitors, family, TV, once evena death in the family)

I styarted as you know when I first changed schools at age about 12.    The then 6th formers "taught" a D&D  group.  and i knew from the very first game & from  then on I was hooked.    I was just average student before that, but sudenly I was nver without a (D&D) book in my hand.    my grades rocketed and I even went on to do A levels, become a 6th former eventually myself (6th form is like a college 1, 2 or 3 years after actual school over here in UK) .     Sure it was D&D that helped, probablility, history, english, etc etc.

So then I left school, formed a rock band, but still played D&D with the people from school.    Like you say its hard,  People get married ,. move away,. jobs etc take preferance.      But I was lucky enough to be asked to save our local pub in 1990 thats was going to be closed.    My music was already as big as it could get, so the only other thing i was good at the D&D.  so I held an open event.  like a mini gen con I suppose.    I had 30 people turn up the first night.   Some knew how to play, others were just interested in learning etc.    Seems my time on stage and adverting did good.       The pub shut eventually anyway, but my then swelling in numbers group still wanted to pay D&D.  So I hired once a week a function room above another pub.      That was fine for about a year.    The landlady then said she was going to sell up so was not sure of the arrangement as she did not know who was going to buy he pub,   by that time i said it did not matter as i was in process of buying a house that would hold the D&D group.   by this time i had worked out whio the players were, who the hangers on were & who could play & who was just there for the booze.

So i boight my first house, and with the cream of the crop carried on playing, this was 1991 now.     I still have the core players from those early days.  althouigh some have gone & been replaced with customers (my D&D business really took off so I bought another hosue, twice the size of the first one which I now rent / let out as second income) ~ but marrage, kids, jobs dont have to be the end of D&D just needs sorting of the & in my present group all but 3 are married or with someone and all but the same three have kids. (so it would have been easier to say 4 are with girlfriends/ wives & have kids LOL sorry)    I do have access to more people than most as if anyone ever drops out (like last two did) I can just email my customer base and ask if theers anyone who wants to join.   

We do have quite a select group.  i been gdoing it for 30 years,  two others have 20+ years each.    one i introducede form the pub (never played it before then) so thats about 16 years,  one was a newbie customer so only a few / couple of years of play, one has been with me for a few years now but work always stopped him playing until a few years ago. & one has been playing for 16 years with other groups but came to mine as a customer a few years back.   (its harder to intergrate people who have preconseptions & other house rules into an established group)   but we all get alone.  and laugh as much as we play.    sometimes even go out as a group too.  and of course to each others weddings, birthdays, christening of baby';s etc.

I  vertually told my girlfriend that no matter what, happened i still would play D&D, and I know she knows how important it is to me.   indead i have only missed a few seesions in my whole/ entire life.   if VERY ill, at the birth of my baby girl,   when moving house & business, and when i walked half way up the UK on two ultra maravthons (thats 5 x 26 mils each way, one after the other)  ~ could not get back for D&D lol.  

I loeft the rock band & went to work for myself as fancy dress designer & hirer.  But it was too seasonal, and so gave up afetr a few years.   then went to work for UK's largest video wholesler.  Wheer i learnt real business sense.    after 10 years (trading on the side in D&D as hobby mainly to fund/ fuel my collection) the company went PLC and they changed everything was no longer a place I wanted to work for so when offered voluntary reduendacy package I took it  & put the money into D&D and have never looked back.  If I had still ben there I'd be struggling to pay off one small house mortgage, not being self employed I easily earn 5 times that,  i have a 5 bedroom house, with a pool and still own the other hosue,  indead the bank have ok'ed me to buy another hosue to rent/ let out but i am busy with baby girl at present so have placed that one hold.    & nbsp;guess what I am saying is that every cloud has a silver lining, did not reasise it at the tiem ( was bad time for me) but now its great.

To answer your question, I buy everything./ anything.  Collections, shops stock, bankrupt stock, warehosues, liquidations, car boot sales, everything.   I sort it grade it and resell it.     You may be surprised to know that I jsut finished selling off an entire collection. one of everything you see I actually had TWO of everything and it was taking up too much space.  I mioved cos it was too big then it kept growing.   so by selling off one lot I got room for more and made some money too LOL.   I sold the mint/ SW collections as i am a player and shrunk wrapped books are not much good for playing, but i still have an impressive collection.  one of everything.  including all d20 3e 3.5e oen license products ever made.

we tried 3e a few yeasr ago when it first came out, went to freeport.  was ok, the combat system is such that we end up dancing round a board like chess men, and cos of the rogues sneak attack everyone ends up iin a rarther unrealsistic conga line ~ but story lines are good.  they should be they have had 30+ years to come up with them?    shame they could not improve the combat system?       During my 30 years i have played, DMed most primes & editions,  OD&D,D&D, AD&D, AQ, DS, DL, FR, GH, KT, MA, PS, RL, SJ, 2E, 2.5E, 3E.

indead we only have BR, LM,  to go, then whatever new 3e primes come out.  they are making a few good ideas, several 1~20th level campaign dungeons/ adventures, so were not done yet & the boys always like to revuisit old adventures and of coutrse the new boys never played them?

thats is from me baby awake
more later if you want?
--Dave

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:36 am 

I thought that cougarrinard's life-in-gaming story was pretty interesting.  Thanks for posting it.

The coug-in-ator could learn better typing skills, but his story about the importance of D&D in his life is...like...truly inspiring.   :)

Too bad he's not a member here.  He would be a nice addition to the community if he was...well.......nicer.   :?

Mark  
8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 84 of 100123 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 9899100