Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 10 of 112123 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 110111112
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:57 am 

Desuma_Malevois wrote:No, it's a little different in the USA - here we elect them to public office  :lol:
Good idea. Care in the community.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:17 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Desuma_Malevois wrote:No, it's a little different in the USA - here we elect them to public office :lol:
Good idea. Care in the community.

imagine maxwell running the country *shudders*....

mind you, the similarities....

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:04 am 

killjoy32 wrote:imagine maxwell running the country *shudders*....

Damn, I knew that style of grammar (& spelling) was familiar  *shudders*....      :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:41 am 

Desuma_Malevois wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:imagine maxwell running the country *shudders*....

Damn, I knew that style of grammar (& spelling) was familiar *shudders*....   :twisted:

yes indeed! worrying :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:25 am 

killjoy32 wrote:  ...on a side-note tho, i will be very interested to note if any of his auctions actually get where they were intended to go to....

chances of that happening?

Actually, as far as I know, he never failed to deliver the goods. My problem with him was with the method he used for packaging and the length of time for delivery.

A near mint (In the listing) Red Basic Box set came in a far too large padded envelope, along with several other items I had won in his listing at the same time, all of those items were simply plopped into the large envelope¸ and of course during shipping they were flopping about in the envelope, drop kicked, stepped on, driven over by trucks (There was actually a tire tread on the back of the envelope and so I saved it for reference). As you can imagine the items that arrived were in not nearly the same condition as they were when the pictures were taken for the auction listings.

But to his credit (After many E-Mails back and forth) Maxwell made good on the deal in the end, paying me back for the items that were sent in that manner, and letting me keep them to boot, so really I made out well enough that I never had a personal problem myself with him. Though he did have lots of things about him that made me not even want to have nightmares about being his drinkin' buddy or anything. Through it all, I think that I kept my cool and stayed out of his heated discussions and disagreements with others here, so we got along fairly well after a short time of posts here that were not pretty. Others experienced similar problems and had less luck with dealing with Maxwell than I did.

Also, after that bit of trouble, I placed my current Signature line on my Acaeum posts. "Sometimes you just have to stand up for your rights and hope for justice..... even if it hurts..."

But, Maxwell was not the only inspiration for the tag line. During that time, I had (IMO) problems with several sellers, on several deals that I felt that I was on the short end of. I finally got fed up and did something about it. Even if was just a silly tag line.

In the course of about 2-3 weeks, I was banned from three major sellers listings.... (Later within a couple of weeks, two of them reinstated me). One of those sellers was Maxwell. I never bid on any of his later listings though, not from fear of a repeated incident, but because I did not see anything I wanted that he was listing.

The weird thing is that the one that still has not reinstated me had less to worry about from me with possible future dealings than either of the others did. That situation was over a misunderstanding on my part that I later apologized for on this forum wherein I agreed that I had mishandled the situation, but there was no clemency. But it is OK, as there are far more sellers out there than money in my account.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:34 am 

Aneoth wrote:Actually, as far as I know, he never failed to deliver the goods. My problem with him was with the method he used for packaging and the length of time for delivery.

well a mate of mine won one of his auctions, which amounted to a LOT of money by anyone's standards believe me.

thing is, maxwell has SAID that its all sent etc, yet a whole lot was sent to a certain person, where the lots were ended short and the items my mate won, were strangely, a part of that lot!

so the plot most certainly thickens and which led me to ask my question in the first place, on behalf of my mate.

well we shall see what develops :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:53 pm 

Maxwell is going over the edge in my opinion. He's emailing weird comments through ebay.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars

Are in the poorest thing superfluous.

Allow not nature more than nature needs,

Man's life's as cheap as beast's . . .

…

You heavens, give me that patience, patience I need!

…

If it be you that stir these daughters' hearts

Against their father, fool me not so much

To bear it tamely; touch me with noble anger,

And let not women's weapons, water-drops,

Stain my man's cheeks! No, you unnatural hags,

…

No, I'll not weep.

I have full cause of weeping, but this heart

Shall break into a hundred thousand flaws,

Or ere I'll weep. O fool, I shall go mad!

Shakespeare - King Lear

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:58 pm 

Damn it! :x  I deploy for a week and all the fun happens here :roll:

Huh...it seems that Maxwell lives only 19.12 miles from my house on  McChord AFB

...Battle of 73 Easting 8O

...If he was present for that then my hats off

...outnumbered 10 to 1 and only loosing 1 tank throughout the whole fight

...that had to be hell and would leave anyone a little punchy

...if he was actually there

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:18 pm 

Imperial_Sniper wrote:Maxwell is going over the edge in my opinion. He's emailing weird comments through ebay.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars

Are in the poorest thing superfluous.

Allow not nature more than nature needs,

Man's life's as cheap as beast's . . .

…

You heavens, give me that patience, patience I need!

…

If it be you that stir these daughters' hearts

Against their father, fool me not so much

To bear it tamely; touch me with noble anger,

And let not women's weapons, water-drops,

Stain my man's cheeks! No, you unnatural hags,

…

No, I'll not weep.

I have full cause of weeping, but this heart

Shall break into a hundred thousand flaws,

Or ere I'll weep. O fool, I shall go mad!

Shakespeare - King Lear

He did the same to me after I called him out here about his shilling.  It was only one, but it was pretty wild stuff.  Wild, like he forgot to take his meds today...........

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:43 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Damn it! :x I deploy for a week and all the fun happens here :roll:

Huh...it seems that Maxwell lives only 19.12 miles from my house on McChord AFB

...Battle of 73 Easting 8O

...If he was present for that then my hats off

...outnumbered 10 to 1 and only loosing 1 tank throughout the whole fight

...that had to be hell and would leave anyone a little punchy

...if he was actually there

73 Easting

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:07 am 

I'm sorry but that is no excuse to make threats in a public forum nor anywhere else to rape a guys wife and kids. If you don't know what I'm refering to follow backwards the rest of this thread.

The man who can not laugh is not only fit for treaon, stratagems, and spoils, but his whole life is already a treason and stratagem.

-Thomas Carlyle - Sartor Resartus

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:15 pm 

I purchased three Dragon magazines from juliabulia, only to be charged $7.75 in s/h.... 8O :twisted: 8O :twisted: 8O :twisted: 8O :twisted:

Lookd like I was not the only one take aback by this gouging practice: just check out her feedback....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:22 pm 

There was another reseller called "Lovetoclose" also from Folsom, Ca that mysteriously disappeared last year.

Same seller? Who knows....

morgansurname wrote:I purchased three Dragon magazines from juliabulia, only to be charged $7.75 in s/h.... 8O :twisted: 8O :twisted: 8O :twisted: 8O :twisted:

Lookd like I was not the only one take aback by this gouging practice:

eBay Feedback Profile for juliabulia

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:00 pm 

Terminal_Frost wrote:There was another reseller called "Lovetoclose" also from Folsom, Ca that mysteriously disappeared last year.

i dealt with "lovetoclose" a few times in the past - was always cool with me, not the fastest but VERY fair.

i remember getting a Q1 from him and it was missing a page. he sent me another one, mint condition and a B1 free for all the hassle - so i cant argue with that! :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:58 pm 

Hello there,

Juliabulia here, and yes, wife of lovetoclose aka seeuinescrow (on the Acaeum).

It seems that morgansurname failed to mention that I waited 5 days for payment and then it seems he did not want to pay the s&h stated in the auction.  

I also offered to cancel the sale, but he didn't want to.  I just wish that he wouldn't have bid on the auction, if he didn't want to be charged the s&h.  I try to, but can't please everyone I guess......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESO:IT

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:06 pm 

Of course, in retrospect, julia then fails to reveal that I waited 5 days to pay as I was awaiting a reply as to why there were such inflated s/h charges! Come on julia...$7.75 for three Dragon magazines!?!?!? Postage via bound printed mail would run under two dollars. Understandably, you wish not to send via this route. But if you are shipping via Priority mail as you state, a Flat Rate Priority Envelope costs $3.85....you mean to tell me that your handling charges would nearly double this? At any rate, I payed. I am not worried about a few dollars. I just get really peeved about sellers like this that cushion the cost of Ebay and Paypal fees by additional "handling" charges. I only charge a buck and that covers, tape, paper, ink, cardboard backing, plastic baggies, and time. You could buy a dozen separate items from me and as long as they all fit safely into the same envelope, there will never be an additional charge as you lay on your victims.

The one point that you are correct on is that it is impossible to make everyone happy.  But charging exhorbitant handling fees :roll: will not make that easier in your chosen line of sales.

Best of luck.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:08 pm 

All you had to do was not bid on the auction.....why?

I guess exhorbitant is a matter of opinion.

In any case, if your "peeved" by sellers charging so called exhorbitant s&h, why bid?

PS-you did not wait on a reply.  All I kept getting from you were new requests for invoices.  I ended up sending multiple invoices to you, at your request..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:11 pm 

As stated, I did not read the fine print.  In the end, that is my fault.  If I had, I would have emailed you and requested more info.  Oh well...we all make mistakes.  I will know better in the future.  My apologies in this regard.  Perhaps I overreacted a bit, but this has happened before (by other sellers) and bothers me perhaps more than it should.  I am not beyond admitting a mistake. ..what's everyone else think.    

By the by, welcome to the Acaeum...if there is any good to come of this, it is the fact that it brought in another member!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 10 of 112123 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 110111112