Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 78 of 112123 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 110111112
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:25 pm 

I'll admit that my shill detector is not nearly as well developed as some peoples' but it doesn't really look like a shill to me.  Another copy was sold by the same seller earlier this month for $578.42.  Other than the winner of that auction there were 3 people who bid well over the amount of the suspected shill bid in this auction.  With 3 day left to go in this auction it seems somewhat pointless for the seller to risk a shill bid when all the evidence points to the price going up anyways.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:29 pm 

Lets see, both the bidder and seller are both from Lansing, Michigan. The current high bidder on the Chainmail has bid on three auctions in the last 30 days and all three are the same current seller of the Chainmail right now.  I guess I don't see how it could be anything but a shill?

Its as clear as day to me that seller wants to ensure that he gets somewhere close to what he got last time.  Just because he/she isn't just slowly jacking the price up doesn't make it any less of a shill.  A seller bidding on his own auction with another user ID is a shill. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:30 pm 

BC's shill radar is seemingly never wrong - what do you know BC?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:33 pm 

Well, looking at it again jennynif was the high bidder on that auction when I first posted it here and that is the shill bid I am refering to.  Maybe that is where the confusion is coming in.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:16 pm 

NetRodent wrote:Another copy was sold by the same seller earlier this month for $578.42.  

If this copy is from the same seller, is there any question on the authenticity of the book?  It seems kinda strange for the same seller to have 2 copies (or more?).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:24 pm 

Well, this sucks:

Hello Stephen Post ([email protected]),

The following is a courtesy notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number -  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Item Title - 1972 Chainmail Rules 2nd Edition Evansville Gygax Rare

Our records show that you bid on this listing. We have removed the listing from eBay because it violated eBay policy. You are not required to complete the transaction. The seller is free to relist the item in accordance with eBay's online policies. If the seller relists the item, you are free to bid on that item.

For more information on eBay policies please visit:

Rules & policies

If you have additional questions, please use the "Contact Us" link found on eBay Help pages.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:34 pm 

Sorry Stephen, I did what I thought was the right thing to do.  I just can not stand f**kin shillers.  :?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:21 pm 

Mars wrote:
If this copy is from the same seller, is there any question on the authenticity of the book?  It seems kinda strange for the same seller to have 2 copies (or more?).

Well, the copyright page has different text between the two, so it's definitely not a straight photocopy.  (Mind you, the cover looks weird on the second one, near the spine.  That might just be a poor scanning job.)  I won't comment beyond that cuz I just don't know. ;)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:39 pm 

At least 3 of us worked hard on this one, obtaining excellent digital photos in addition to more scans.  I was initially very skeptical, but became convinced by the additional images and extensive correspondence with the seller.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:09 pm 

Not a shady dealer, but a thieving buyer, for those of us who are sellers.  This buyer:

nwvintagegames

On Ebay paid me with a check for something almost a month ago.  Like a moron, I sent the item out after about a week (thinking it cleared), and left positive feedback.  Of course, the $17 check bounced, and the buyer is being a total lunatic about my trying to collect the money.  After it bounced, I filed a NPB report, to which he went absolutely beserk, saying he was good for the money and I would get it paypal on the 7th, adding lots of insults and just general weirdness.  His over the top reactions and defensiveness are really suspicious. Honestly I didn't even send him anything mean just a note that since his payment bounced I was going to file, if he paid me back the strike would be taken off I mean, he's got the item, his money, and my positive feedback, so I don't know why he's acting like I just bitchslapped his wife or something. Anyway, It appears I'm out the money, so just to warn anyone else...

His reply to my filing NPB:

what ever payment will be made on the 7th you can keep your bull Shit strike against me, I don't really care! don't expect me to leave a feed back for you!

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0018039554

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:16 pm 

cheers for the heads up mike. the name seems to ring a bell for some reason....

didnt something crop up a while back to do with that ebayer?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:29 pm 

nwvintagegames is the person that purchased a Dark Tower from me back in July for $54 + shipping. There was some chit-chat at the time about him having a zero feedback.
(I see that he is up to a 71 already, so he has been a very active bidder).

On the advice of a few Acaeum members I asked him about the zero rating around the end of auction. He gave me a story that in 2005 he had a heart attack and had been flagged as a non-payer and his account suspended.

I had to wait almost two weeks for payment (paypal) from him, but he did pay and positive feedback was exchanged both ways.

Here is a quote from him about his zero feedback:
"Oh no no, I have looked for Dark Tower for years and yes my score was set at zero but wasn't always so. I had a heart attack a few months back and was unemployed and some ebayors sorry to say didn't get paid and so my account was suspended and in order to restore it Ebay reset everything. But I am very much employed and doing alot better/ So on thursday evening the funds of $64.00 will be transfered into your pay-pal account. Please leave a good feed back after that is done as I will do the same and thank you again. Joshua"

JasonW

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:44 pm 

Yep, I've dealt with him as well, he asked about Dark Tower and other JG books I may have had but were not up for auction. Didn't have a Dark Tower, but did give him a list of books that he agreed to buy after the auctions he was winning were over.
He backed out of the off Ebay deal but did pay me by Paypal couple weeks later for the items he won. IIRC he was having some finacial problems at the time, but I didn't keep that email.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:35 pm 

Maybe he's JonB's brother, back from the dead?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:55 pm 

Plaag wrote:Yep, I've dealt with him as well, he asked about Dark Tower and other JG books I may have had but were not up for auction. Didn't have a Dark Tower, but did give him a list of books that he agreed to buy after the auctions he was winning were over.
He backed out of the off Ebay deal but did pay me by Paypal couple weeks later for the items he won. IIRC he was having some finacial problems at the time, but I didn't keep that email.

ShaneG.

Well, I'm hoping he keeps up his end and does pay me this weekend (30 days after the auction ended, BTW).  Maybe he's having financial problems again, who knows. He's been blocked from any further auctions though.  I don't know why he flipped out over a $17 order when I was ready to forget about it if he just paid me the money.
 I had the absolute strangest day today.  I ended up blocking four people, when I don't block four people in a month much less one day.  I had this guy, the guy that left me a neg before ever seeing if I would rectify a situation, the guy who sent me a ebay message that I was charging too much for my magazines and would never sell any (thanks for the advice from a 50 FB buyer) and a zero feedback buyer who bought a large ticket item awhile back and never bothered to ever contact me about paying. Sheesh.

Mike B.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:11 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:nwvintagegames is the person that purchased a Dark Tower from me back in July for $54 + shipping.

He outbid me on that auction and then sent me a little note through e-bay saying that he would pay whatever it took to get that module. Seemed like an odd thing to do. I resisted the temptation of trying to discover the exact $ amount of "whatever it takes" however.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:40 am 

ifearyeti wrote:
He outbid me on that auction and then sent me a little note through e-bay saying that he would pay whatever it took to get that module. Seemed like an odd thing to do. I resisted the temptation of trying to discover the exact $ amount of "whatever it takes" however.

he seems like a standard numb-nut to me

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:09 am 

bclarkie wrote:Sorry Stephen, I did what I thought was the right thing to do.  I just can not stand f**kin shillers.  :?

Me neither :evil:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 78 of 112123 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 110111112