Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 67 of 112123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 110111112
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:44 am 

I am at a loss then.
What are we talking about?
What actions has Marlith taken?

I'm just not following the story, or I'm following only part of it.
Am I the only one missing it?
Ah well, I'll prolly regret asking as it will only serve to inflame the situation more.

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Grandstanding Collector

bclarkie wrote:
Sorry Mike, this isn't about the Interesting Items on EBay thread at all.  Its all about Marlith and his actions against this comminity.  There is actually more to this story that I have left out.

well i guess, the only thing at this point, is for Marlith to pipe in and clear the matter....

then we can all go back to doing what this place should be doing...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Yes, there may be more...could it be covered in PM?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:52 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:

I agree. Hasn't this been kicked around long enough?
It's been spread over several threads and had its own poll.
Enough already sheesh  

Mike

bclarkie wrote:
Sorry Mike, this isn't about the Interesting Items on EBay thread at all.  Its all about Marlith and his actions against this comminity.  There is actually more to this story that I have left out.

I agree, regardless it doesn't belong on the "Shady Dealers" thread. Marlith isn't selling anything I can see and isn't ripping anyone off selling defective merchandise.  Perhaps the OT thread or the Interesting Items thread would be more appropriate.
  Not to get involved, because I've done business with both of the men here and have no problems with either of them, but isn't it time that we scale back these pissing contests or take them offline?  First Frank and Rob, then this, it's, what's the word, "unseemly" for people of our obvious intelligence and sophistication to be involved in this backbiting.  Whether anyone here is right or wrong is almost beside the point.  I can see a piling on or rip job on crooks who prey on our community like JonB or Keep, even to a lesser extent dealers like Cougar or Creep who are just a touch off shady, but these attacks and the earlier "Runic Copies" embroglio are not what I want to be represented by when the Acaeum community is thought of by others in the hobby (run on sentence anyone?). I don't know where else to go on this, only that I hate to see members of my "club" fighting or arguing about stuff like this.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:46 pm 

Badmike wrote:

I agree, regardless it doesn't belong on the "Shady Dealers" thread. Marlith isn't selling anything I can see and isn't ripping anyone off selling defective merchandise.  Perhaps the OT thread or the Interesting Items thread would be more appropriate.
  Not to get involved, because I've done business with both of the men here and have no problems with either of them, but isn't it time that we scale back these pissing contests or take them offline?  First Frank and Rob, then this, it's, what's the word, "unseemly" for people of our obvious intelligence and sophistication to be involved in this backbiting.  Whether anyone here is right or wrong is almost beside the point.  I can see a piling on or rip job on crooks who prey on our community like JonB or Keep, even to a lesser extent dealers like Cougar or Creep who are just a touch off shady, but these attacks and the earlier "Runic Copies" embroglio are not what I want to be represented by when the Acaeum community is thought of by others in the hobby (run on sentence anyone?). I don't know where else to go on this, only that I hate to see members of my "club" fighting or arguing about stuff like this.

Mike B.

I am going to go ahead and delete my post, however I think people are missing the point of my post in the first place.  This is not a pissing contest or some 3rd grade childlike internet flame war.  I am trying again to shine the light on someone who does not act in the best interest of this community, but whatever.  Just because this person happens to be a member of this forum IMO that should not exempt them from anything.  If people no longer want to hear the truth regardless of who its about, thats fine I will stop.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:48 pm 

well i dont have a problem with whats posted. if its something relevant that ppl should know about, thats fine with me...would like to hear the other side of the view though, know what i mean?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:55 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:well i dont have a problem with whats posted. if its something relevant that ppl should know about, thats fine with me...would like to hear the other side of the view though, know what i mean?

You and your reasonable/moderate views suck!!!  Prepare to DIE, Al!

*Dives into the fray without actually reading it.*   :lol:

(That's humor.  Simmer down.  Pretty top-notch stuff, if I do say so myself.)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:00 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:You and your reasonable/moderate views suck!!!  Prepare to DIE, Al!

*Dives into the fray without actually reading it.*   :lol:

(That's humor.  Simmer down.  Pretty top-notch stuff, if I do say so myself.)

*swats deimos around the ear*

:D

go make yourself useful and find me a tamo for $2 :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:06 pm 

bclarkie wrote:BIG BUYER BEWARE

eBay listings

This seller has what some people would consider interesting items up for sale  i.e. 3rd print MM, Iuz the Evil, CIty of Skulls, Several Massconfusion items, etc. This is the exact same seller that sold me and Badmike the fake Complete Tavern & Month Haul Dungeons last year.  Here is the threads that this was discussed in previously:

Game Lords Fakes :/

The former Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds Thread

Now I am not saying that what this guy has for sale is fake, but stuff that he has sold previously has been fake and it is something that I would be very careful about.  This seller is EXTREMELY dodgy and any bids that are place should be done so with an enormous amount of caution.  I would also warn particualrly about the Massconfusion items that he has up for sale, as  evidenced by the Gamelords Stuff, its a lot easier to conterfit.

As an additional note again about this guy, is that he also sells under the name pestolo(although not in this circumstance):

eBay Feedback Profile for pestolo

Hmm, came in late to this thread, so I don't know what is going on with the other issue . . .  but this jumped out at me.  Username=pestolo  Pestolo has the honor of being the ONLY person who claims to have not received a package from me.  This is back when I used to handwrite my addresses on packages and didn't bother with delivery confirmation.  He claimed a Vecna Lives didn't show up . . . we waited . . . I ended up refunding him the money.  

Anyway, a few weeks later another seller (who must have looked up pestolo's transaction history) emailed me asking if I had had problems with this individual as he was claiming that a package they sent hadn't arrived either.  

That is what motivated me to start using auto-label priting with Paypal so everything would have confirmation.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:01 pm 

get a load of the shipping/handling details on this one!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory=2545

not only that...great description on the item too (not)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:27 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
I am going to go ahead and delete my post, however I think people are missing the point of my post in the first place.  This is not a pissing contest or some 3rd grade childlike internet flame war.  I am trying again to shine the light on someone who does not act in the best interest of this community, but whatever.  Just because this person happens to be a member of this forum IMO that should not exempt them from anything.  If people no longer want to hear the truth regardless of who its about, thats fine I will stop.

BC you have a right to post the material, I do enjoy your meticulously researched detective work when it shines the light on a ne'er do well. I just thought the venue was inappropriate, Marlith is not to my knowledge a seller engaged in shady practices.  The worst sin Marlith looked accused of (correct me if I'm wrong) is creating another user id to report interesting items.  I just don't place that as the same degree as say a KeepontheBorderlands or Jonb possibly stealing from Acaeum members. Maybe I'm wrong but that's all I seemed to see.  
  As in the Runic copies mess, I just think things got knocked way out of whack to the degree of the transgression.  I guess it's the person in me that just doesn't want someone to say that One Bad Thing that will take the argument too far and make the scars deep and permanent.  There's enough fighting going on in the world that we don't have to bring it to this forum unless it's a severe transgression.  I guess the bottom line is if Marlith had another Ebay id and was bidding up his own stuff I would say post away, nail him.   Hell I'm just rambling now but I hope everyone got the gist...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:50 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:get a load of the shipping/handling details on this one!

Al

I read his feedback.  I love the feedback this guy left:

Got it finally. Not a big fan of media mail.
 Buyer   scottandfish( 11)  

Dude, if you're not a big fan of media mail then pay for faster service!

I gather that one of the hazards sellers have to deal with is buyers with a childish need to make the mail system go faster...and blame you for it.

I encounter this same sort of attitude as a teacher all the time.  People want me to fix things I cannot influence...much less control.  They also blame me for decisions they made.

All I ask from a seller is to mail the item correctly and to tell me flat out if there has been a delay or some other problem.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:00 pm 

Badmike wrote: As in the Runic copies mess, I just think things got knocked way out of whack to the degree of the transgression.  Mike B.

well rest assured that THAT issue will not arise again thats for sure.... plans are afoot to nicely sidestep that problem next time round.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:06 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:get a load of the shipping/handling details on this one!

I was taken aback by the description. Really, some enterprising author could take a screenshot of it and use it as a What Not To Do example for the next eBay how-to book.

Do not:

1. Put the do's and do not's at the very top of your listing;

2. If you're going to ignore rule #1, then at least begin with some positives;

3. Adopt a tone that makes it seem like you assume your buyers are thieves, idiots, or both;

4. Sprinkle your listing with passive-aggessive nonsense such as "I'm sorry, but ..."

5. Switch fonts for no reason;

6. Switch type size for no reason;

7. Switch colors for no reason;

8. Use bold and underlining for no reason;

9. Use a backwards-ass grading chart, especially one that uses numbers to count down, but then also adds plus and minus signs that count the opposite direction of the rest of the chart!

10. Use 23 different rules for shipping and "handling."

I don't know about "shady" — although the feedback is certainly poor — but I can say without reservation that this is the worst eBay listing I've seen in quite some time.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:18 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I don't know about "shady" — although the feedback is certainly poor — but I can say without reservation that this is the worst eBay listing I've seen in quite some time.

well didnt know where else to put it X and didnt want to open up another thread. guess thats prb why BC posted here too with an earlier topic.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:30 pm 

Hell, I don't care about that — I'm not the thread police. :)

My comment was directed toward the seller, not you. I was just saying that this particular seller might not be a hopeless case. Maybe, by totally re-doing her listings template and acting like she wants to sell rather than lecture, this gal could become a decent seller. But I say that with a big bold and underlined maybe ...

(Edit: updated with NetRodent's information below)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:32 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Hell, I don't care about that — I'm not the thread police. :)

My comment was directed toward the seller, not you. I was just saying that this particular seller might not be a hopeless case. Maybe, by totally re-doing his listings template and acting like he wants to sell rather than lecture, this guy could become a decent seller. But I say that with a big bold and underlined maybe ...

Actually the seller is female.  If you have any doubt about the seller, try reading her 'dark side' page...

eBay listings

She sounds like a real tool.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:10 pm 

I wish we had a smiley for utterly speechless. I guess the closest I can come is ... 8O

Eight years on eBay and I've never seen anyone break down their negative feedback line-by-line like that. I thought I'd seen it all on eBay, I really did ...

Even better: the seller not realizing that the problem seems to be about 95 percent with herself. This is real Cougie-like delusion.

I take it back, Al — this chick is shady. This is definitely the right thread. :)

"Gobsmacked" — is that the slang I'm looking for? Utter surprise, total bewilderment, that sort of thing?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 67 of 112123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 110111112