Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 65 of 112123 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 110111112
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:42 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Charge packaging and shipping at cost, and if you must, hide additional fees in the minimum bid -- that's just intelligent marketing.

That's for marketing to intelligent people.  For marketing to fools, which I fear are far more numerous, you'd probably do better following the low price/high fee formula.  Of course this just my two cents*.

plus a $10 handling fee

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:23 am 

Marlith wrote:I have always hated the "handling fee" on auctions. That is the sort of cost that should be built into the price of the item. What if when you went to Kroger to buy a gallon of milk it was priced at $1.79 but then at the register in addition to the tax the store but a $1.56 destination charge on it.  If you need to price an item at $8 to make your self determined profit margain then mark it with an $8 reserve not a $3 minimum or BIN and then add $5 in addition to shipping.

ah but then you see, how you americans do things, is totally different to us.

how you just explained the above is how it IS for us.

i go into a shop here and buy something. it says £2.50 on the label. i go to the till and get charged £2.50....sorted.

my first trip to USA. i was in san francisco and bought a computer game - remember it very well. i looked at the price "oh thats quite reasonable i will have that" i thought. i went to the till and then got asked for a totally different price, because you added the tax on AT the till!!! wtf was that all about??!! i remember walking away thinking "what a feckin rip!"

but hey thats perspective for you.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:36 am 

Badmike wrote:
They are all newbies who read the same "How to make money on Ebay" books and websites, where it states that "Hey!  Ebay can't charge you for shipping/handling so screw the buyer there and keep the money!".  They act like they just figured out this loophole, but of course they don't take into account there are plenty of ebay sellers out there who DONT charge $5 handling and are their competition, so in the long run this "innovative" strategy isn't going to make them any money at all.  Morons.

Mike B.

Chances are, he'll get the sale he wants.  He'll just get buyers who calculate his high shipping into their bids.  Hell...his genius plan will probably work.

This guy is a perfect example of what I have called the genius.  The genius thinks he has an edge...a thinking man's edge...over the losers who play by the rules.

I don't mind the genius and his endless plans to beat the system.  What I mind is his belief that he is so much smarter than the rest of us.  In actual practice (As opposed to imaginary practice? Redundant.) the genius is dumber than most.

The genius is like the smart raccoon, who knows how to stick his paw into the hunter's trap without getting caught.  What the genius raccoon does not realize is that raccoons who are really smart don't stick their paws into traps at all.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:46 am 

When I first saw this I was thinking how I really need this to complete my MERP collection but no way in Hell am I going to bid on this because this guy has got to be one of the biggest jerks on Ebay.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

First off he has 15 negatives (quite a few neutrals as well) and all of them seem to be either from not paying for an item he bought or not sending an item that someone won from him.  While I was reading through some of his negs/neutrals I found this one and almost pissed myself from laughing so hard:

Caution, Its been 50 days no product, he said cat ate one of the miniatures.  Reply by trevorstamper: cat DID eat on mini--pinated a new one, and shipped

This guy is one of those people that just needs to get his ass kicked something fierce.  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:56 am 

Well, here is another submission to this thread and I strongly suggest everyone from dealing with this guy:

seattlesbest45

seattlesbest45 should be renamed seattlesworst69.  I won 3 Dungeon Magazines from this guy a couple of weeks ago that were supposedly listed in "excellent condition":

The number 3 wasn't too bad, but number 5 and nubmer 6 were hammered.  As a matter of fact number 5 is so bad that the cover has come completely off and almost 100% split in half as well.  Compounded by the fact that he charged me $12 S&H to ship these 3 magazines for what was supposed to be for USPS Parcel Post(which was very high as it was), but he then went ahead and shipped them Media Mail for $2.67.  To make matters even worse he dumped the magazines in an unpadded manilla envelope with ZERO protection.  So, needless to say when they arrived yesterday I was a little more than annoyed.  So like I always do, I sent this moron an email stating my concerns, before I light his ass up with negative feedback.  Here is the response that I got this morning:

Shady Ass Seller wrote:
Brian,

What can I telll you, they are 19 year old magazines, I didn't say they were new or in like new condition, and when put into perspective they are in excellent condition considering that they are 19 years old.

We really want all of our customers to be happy campers so this is what we will do, return the magazines and we will refund your total bid amounts minus shipping and handling.

Shipping and handling charges are not to just cover postage, they also defer some of the other costs associated with doing business. It's always iffy what the item will sell for and I do the same amount of work for all of them. My charges are not out of line with other sellers.

Thanks again for your business,
Alan

Its probably a good this that this asshole lives in Washington state, because I would seriously consider paying him a visit. :evil:  I already emailed him back that his "plan" wasn't going to fly with me, but I know that this is going to end up very bad.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:35 am 

As expected, my email to his response did not go well:

A$$ Hole Seller wrote:Well Brian I do believe our business is concluded.

Guess its time for the old chargeback and negative feedback. :roll:  Its really pretty sad to, I haven't had to leave anyone a neg in over a year. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:46 am 

I wanted to give my two bits to this discussion.

I don't run many auctions but when I do I use a cheap ass bathroom scale and a tape measure to determine shipping. I guess how much extra girth the padded envelope will add and then enter the destination as Quebec. Then I take that amount and use it for shipping to North America. That (usually) covers my butt.  I have made around $5 profit on shipping for a single auction with this method; I have also lost $23.

Why so much science?

I don't want to spend 1 min longer than I have to on the auction process.
I want to empty the shelf, move the stuff out, and move on. I am not in it to spend hours marketing and answering customer queries. My time is worth more than the return. I don't shy away from questions at all, I just give the quickest. pointed reply that I feel like giving.

The info on my auctions is also sparse, I rarely go into detail about the condition of the item. I don't want to write a book I want to sell the thing. Sometimes I even do it from memory, while the item is on the shelf in the basement.

None of this makes me a collectors buddy I know, except when they get something I haven't bothered to describe and it turns out to be in really great shape.

To add something else I have dealt with troll and toad before and found them to be friendly and the product excellent.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:58 am 

bclarkie wrote:Well, here is another submission to this thread and I strongly suggest everyone from dealing with this guy:

seattlesbest45

seattlesbest45 should be renamed seattlesworst69.  I won 3 Dungeon Magazines from this guy a couple of weeks ago that were supposedly listed in "excellent condition":

The number 3 wasn't too bad, but number 5 and nubmer 6 were hammered.  As a matter of fact number 5 is so bad that the cover has come completely off and almost 100% split in half as well.  Compounded by the fact that he charged me $12 S&H to ship these 3 magazines for what was supposed to be for USPS Parcel Post(which was very high as it was), but he then went ahead and shipped them Media Mail for $2.67.  To make matters even worse he dumped the magazines in an unpadded manilla envelope with ZERO protection.  So, needless to say when they arrived yesterday I was a little more than annoyed.  So like I always do, I sent this moron an email stating my concerns, before I light his ass up with negative feedback.  Here is the response that I got this morning:

Its probably a good this that this asshole lives in Washington state, because I would seriously consider paying him a visit. :evil:  I already emailed him back that his "plan" wasn't going to fly with me, but I know that this is going to end up very bad.

I just laughed my ass off looking at your negs, BC...you HAMMERED him! LOL!
This kind of seller is really annoying because the items were described as "Excellent", I know this is a very subjective word, but in almost anyone's mind this means "above average" not "ready to line the birdcage". Obviously the seller when he writes this knows he is lying about the condition....he figures the buyer won't say anything or will accept his partial refund. But really BC, the excessive shipping should have tipped you off ($6 each when a flat rate priority envelope is $4.55 with delivery confirmation?) that this guy is clueless.
 Oh, and I have to say that shipping without any sort of padding has been the situation for about the last ten items I have won on Ebay, I don't know why but that's just what I've been getting.  I don't know why it would kill anyone to put at least a backing board in the envelope.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:28 pm 

Gee, Grodog liked him.
But then, Grodog likes everybody, even me. Go figure.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:47 pm 

The negs have already cost him plenty...he should have just eaten the shipping costs.  His name here is even worse.

I have noticed a trend in poor shipping.  I have contacted a couple of sellers and one even thanked me and totally improved the quality of her next shipment.

I think it goes back to the genius problem again.

Mark   8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:02 pm 

I hate it when sellers say an item is in excellent condition considering it's 20 years old.  That "considering" line is just a way to cover their rear for any mildewed, torn, written in, falling apart condition the item may really be in.

Nice negs btw, BC.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:11 pm 

Here is the item I bought from Buzz810:

When the item did not arrive for some weeks, I sent him a nice email just checking up on it.  No big deal.  When he did not respond for four or so days, I sent him a followup nicely pointing out that he had not responded.

Here is the reply I got today:

Hello mshipley88,
The package has not returned to us yet. It should be here soon. The tracking still indicates that it is on the way back. We will ship it out the moment that it gets back to us.
Good Bargain Hunting, Buzz810.

Here is a link to this seller's other feedback.  Scroll down a bit and see what the negs and neutrals say:

eBay Feedback Profile for buzz810

I have considered asking him...since he has "tracking" on the package...to send me the tracking number.   :lol:

This isn't a bid deal.  It's only $3 or so and I don't mind waiting.  It would be fine if this guy would just say, "Oh, sorry.  I didn't mail it yet."

This is a good example of how lack of communication and an attempt to seem professional rather than admit mistakes actually hurts a seller.

Mark   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:27 pm 

How much is your time actually worth? $10/hour $20/hour or do you bill at a higher rate?
If it's a six-dollar item and you have a .55 listing fee and the item cost you $3 spending more than 10 mins. (really 5min) on the item is a waste of your time.

Sellers have to pack all lots at the same time (this means late payers hold up the process) they have to weigh all the lots at the same time. They have to write all the details at the same time.

Buyers quite often think sellers have an infinite amount of time to work for them and still expect things for a song. I have answered ten questions in the affirmative from morons who then bid $3 on $70 worth of stuff.

The sword cuts both ways, buyers have to be aware of shifty sellers and sellers have to make their efforts worthwhile. Otherwise why not take the stuff to a used book store for credit?

While sellers may do a bit a gouging there has been a parade of "Look what amazing collectable I got for nothing!" on these forums for a long, long time. I wonder how many have then given a kickback to the seller for excellent service? You can pay lip service, but I am guessing the only kickback is positive feedback.

I am in no way defending the guy. The item is either in excellent condition or it isn't. It's not relative to something else. I just wanted to make it clear that it isn't always easy being a seller.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:34 pm 

bclarkie wrote:As expected, my email to his response did not go well:

A$$ Hole Seller wrote:Well Brian I do believe our business is concluded

Guess its time for the old chargeback and negative feedback. :roll:  Its really pretty sad to, I haven't had to leave anyone a neg in over a year. :?

The sad part is that I really hate to leave negative feedback.  I think in my 7 1/2 years on EBay, I have left negative feedback a grand total of 5  times, of which 4 of those times the seller in question that I left negative feedback for tried to flat out steal my money.  Another one of those negatives that I  left was in retaliation from a buyer who essentially refused to pay for the items that he bought.  I hadn't even bothered to file NPBs against him and he still neg'd me anyway.

Leaving negativess is really not an option that I take lightly using, but in this circumstance this guy was just a scammer who thought he could pull off some sh*t with me.  I was doing him a favor by offering to return them all for a full refund and not leaving negative feedback. Instead he chose this route rather than just accept the magazines back and reauction them.  Now he is will be out both all of his money and his magazines, and will have nothing but 3 negs to show for it.  Not exactly the brightest bulb in the batch.  

The only bad part of this is I guess that I will have one neg coming my way being that he still has one open feedback, but truthfully and as I will note in my response to it, I am going to wear this neg with pride, based on the transaction. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:42 pm 

Icar wrote:How much is your time actually worth? $10/hour $20/hour or do you bill at a higher rate?
If it's a six-dollar item and you have a .55 listing fee and the item cost you $3 spending more than 10 mins. (really 5min) on the item is a waste of your time.

Sellers have to pack all lots at the same time (this means late payers hold up the process) they have to weigh all the lots at the same time. They have to write all the details at the same time.

Buyers quite often think sellers have an infinite amount of time to work for them and still expect things for a song. I have answered ten questions in the affirmative from morons who then bid $3 on $70 worth of stuff.

The sword cuts both ways, buyers have to be aware of shifty sellers and sellers have to make their efforts worthwhile. Otherwise why not take the stuff to a used book store for credit?

While sellers may do a bit a gouging there has been a parade of "Look what amazing collectable I got for nothing!" on these forums for a long, long time. I wonder how many have then given a kickback to the seller for excellent service? You can pay lip service, but I am guessing the only kickback is positive feedback.

I am in no way defending the guy. The item is either in excellent condition or it isn't. It's not relative to something else. I just wanted to make it clear that it isn't always easy being a seller.

I both buy and sell lots on EBay, and I am well aware of how it all works.  I have been doing this for a long time.  If as a seller, it is too time consuming for you to sell your items properly, then IMO, maybe you shouldn't be selling them at all.  If its to difficult to properly sell your item and you insist on selling stuff anyway, then list everything you sell in Poor condition and also indicate that you will make no effort to package the items in away that will insure that they will arrive in good condition.  Set the expectation for your potential buyers that you really don't give a sh*t, and thereofre they will have nothing to complain about when they buy from you.  Granted, it will end up costing you as a seller some cash, but if you can't take the time to sell your items properly, you(in general, not specific) shouldn't really care what the end result is either.  Decide which way you want it, but you can't have it both ways.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:42 pm 

Every negative I have given has been with pride.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:54 pm 

Selling to the public and selling to collectors are two different things.
The public are people who will use the item for its original purpose and then pass it on or discard it.
I sell RPG items to RPG players (the public).
On the big ticket items I will make a grading to the best of my ability.

I feel I am doing a service to the RPG community AND clearing my shelves. If you you expect an hour of work when the seller is making $3 you are deluded.

You aren't dealing with walmart, you are dealing with people who have careers, kids, and commitments.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:57 pm 

Icar wrote:Selling to the public and selling to collectors are two different things.
The public are people who will use the item for its original purpose and then pass it on or discard it.
I sell RPG items to RPG players (the public).
On the big ticket items I will make a grading to the best of my ability.

I feel I am doing a service to the RPG community AND clearing my shelves. If you you expect an hour of work when the seller is making $3 you are deluded and stupid.

You aren't dealing with walmart, you are dealing with people who have careers, kids, and commitments.

I am not deluded nor am I stupid.  It doesn't take any more than 5 minutes to accurately describe an item in reasonable detail.  As a seller, you are not doing anyone a favor by selling your items, they are doing you a favor by buying them from you.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 65 of 112123 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 110111112