Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 61 of 112123 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 110111112
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:07 am 

A friend of mine (owns a comic and game store) who did not take Credit cards or debit until a few years ago was in deep trouble of going out of business; I told him to take plastic and he was always skeptical!  You know they take a percentage! What if the card is stolen?  It takes to long to get approved!

Well finally he put himself on the waiting list to get a machine, now he does 90% of his business through that machine.  People (including me) do not like paying cash! It is awkward, when it gets lost it is gone etc.

Plastic is the way of the future, really it is the way of the present.

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:16 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:A friend of mine (owns a comic and game store) who did not take Credit cards or debit until a few years ago was in deep trouble of going out of business; I told him to take plastic and he was always skeptical!  You know they take a percentage! What if the card is stolen?  It takes to long to get approved!

Well finally he put himself on the waiting list to get a machine, now he does 90% of his business through that machine.  People (including me) do not like paying cash! It is awkward, when it gets lost it is gone etc.

Jeff

My FLGS now only accepts plastic and cash, no checks. They finally had a big enough bounce (two checks from the same guy for over $500 in rare comics) that the owner decided taking checks wasn't helping him out.  I admit using a debit card there is far superior to other forms of buying.  I use my debit card exclusively for all my purchases everywhere.  There is still a local ice cream store that only takes cash, it seems to thrive, but they have to be losing thousands of dollars a month doing that....I know personally I've wanted an ice cream about 1-2 times a month and had to bypass them because of their policy, and I'm sure there has to be several people a day that have the same problem.  Whatever money they think they are saving in fees has to be way, way offset by the amount they are losing in sales.  I also love Sonic and there are two close by...I only use the one that lets you use your debit card at the outside kiosk as opposed to the cash only version.
   There are businesses that fail every day, people who refuse to accept paypal on Ebay or credit cards at their brick and mortar I would have to say account for a bunch of these.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:49 am 

Blackmoor wrote:Well finally he put himself on the waiting list to get a machine, now he does 90% of his business through that machine.  People (including me) do not like paying cash! It is awkward, when it gets lost it is gone etc.

Buyer's downside being it's not as easy to negotiate a discount on plastic.

But then, there aren't any bricks-and-mortar gaming shops worth talking about these days within a weekend's journey of here... so that's a bit of an academic issue. :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:16 am 

faro wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Well finally he put himself on the waiting list to get a machine, now he does 90% of his business through that machine.  People (including me) do not like paying cash! It is awkward, when it gets lost it is gone etc.

Buyer's downside being it's not as easy to negotiate a discount on plastic.

But then, there aren't any bricks-and-mortar gaming shops worth talking about these days within a weekend's journey of here... so that's a bit of an academic issue. :?

same over here. the ones that there ARE, are not really worth going to. last three times i have been to the two that i know of, all the stuff they have, is EXACTLY the same, same price etc...as if not one thing has sold!!! not surprised with the prices they were charging (and have told em so each time i have been)....muppets...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:40 am 

I noticed our favorite kitty had once again become a powerseller; while perusing his About Me page, the following line made me laugh out loud:

I started Ebay in 2000, i was mainly buying at that stage, but soon after, quit my managerial job and became a powerseller full time.   Since then I am pleased to say that I have become a TITANIUM level powerseller, but ebay have since changed the goal posts and the qualifying number of items TEN fold so I am only gold level now.  

No kidding, really?  :D

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:02 pm 

Badmike wrote:I noticed our favorite kitty had once again become a powerseller; while perusing his About Me page, the following line made me laugh out loud:

I started Ebay in 2000, i was mainly buying at that stage, but soon after, quit my managerial job and became a powerseller full time.   Since then I am pleased to say that I have become a TITANIUM level powerseller, but ebay have since changed the goal posts and the qualifying number of items TEN fold so I am only gold level now.  

Mike B.

LMAO, poor widdle kitty is only a gold powerseller!  It just doesn't have the same ring to it.  I guess he could always refer to himself as "Former Titanium Powerseller"  =)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:21 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:
Badmike wrote:I noticed our favorite kitty had once again become a powerseller; while perusing his About Me page, the following line made me laugh out loud:

Mike B.

LMAO, poor widdle kitty is only a gold powerseller!  It just doesn't have the same ring to it.  I guess he could always refer to himself as "Former Titanium Powerseller"  =)

BTW, he's STILL lying anyway. Titanium seller went up from $100,000 a month to $150,000 a month, NOT a ten fold increase (that would have been a MILLION a month), and not that the Kitty was making 100 grand a month anyway to begin with. I truly even doubt he's ever been beyond Gold Powerseller in his Ebay career, and even that is apt to be doubted considering the other lies and suspicious business practices fostered by Cougie.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:43 pm 

Honestly, no joking around, I think there's some evidence that our favorite feline should seek out a mental-health professional.

Beyond the laughable delusions of granduer — those are pretty easy to pick apart — Cougie's entire sense of self-worth seems to tied into eBay, specifically into sales and feedback.

That's just not healthy.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:27 pm 

Mike B.

The is just screwed up, being a powerseller or not make no difference to me when I am buying!  Just a stupid label.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:58 pm 

The Seller Formerly Known as Titanium. Has a Princely ring to it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:07 pm 

One to add to the list: daysofknights.
He is the one with a huge pile of Wilmark Dynasty stuff. Considering he is one of the writers, not surprising. I bought a signed Melanda, and he sent me one with only one signature, when it should have had 2. His excuse was that the other signer's mother was sick, and he was hesitant to ask for the signature at such a delicate time. Considering it was HIS signature missing, I find that hard to swallow. My Roomscapes came with rusty buttons, one of which was entirely missing.
His stuff is not in the best of shape, and he is notorious for shipping items in much worse condition than the auction states. Buyer beware.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:09 pm 

I wonder why he didn't bother to sign it?  Has to be an oversight.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:42 pm 

Probably was initially, but all he had to do was say he forgot and I would have been fine with that. No need to bullshit me.
I was promised some Wilmark Character sheets to make up for the mess, but of course those haven't shown up either.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:52 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Probably was initially, but all he had to do was say he forgot and I would have been fine with that. No need to bullshit me.
I was promised some Wilmark Character sheets to make up for the mess, but of course those haven't shown up either.

i managed to get some of the wilmark items a while back and mine were fine. dont seem to recollect anything out of sorts at the time, but it wasnt the quickest transaction ive ever come across, i have to say.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:40 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:One to add to the list: daysofknights.
He is the one with a huge pile of Wilmark Dynasty stuff. Considering he is one of the writers, not surprising. I bought a signed Melanda, and he sent me one with only one signature, when it should have had 2. His excuse was that the other signer's mother was sick, and he was hesitant to ask for the signature at such a delicate time. Considering it was HIS signature missing, I find that hard to swallow. My Roomscapes came with rusty buttons, one of which was entirely missing.
His stuff is not in the best of shape, and he is notorious for shipping items in much worse condition than the auction states. Buyer beware.

I tried for almost 9 months to buy a set of mods off him, but he is so slow at responding to e-mails and has no ral interest in selling his stuff, that it all fell though. We were going to close a deal on about $350 for 8 or 9 modules, but he didn't have the ability to conclude a deal, and I gave up after 9 months. I get the impression the guy is a bit of a dick.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:45 pm 

I get the impression that he has other things on his mind.  

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:24 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I get the impression that he has other things on his mind.  

Mark   8)

like what?

if he cant be bothered to sell the stuff, why is he bothering then?

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:13 am 

Well...I don't know him at all...but it could be his mother's illness.

Mark   8)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 61 of 112123 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 110111112