Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 59 of 112123 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 110111112
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:43 am 

A Warning about "I Sold It" (on eBay & in your own home town)

There is a national USA franchise of hundreds of stores bearing the name "ISoldIt". The franchise stores accept items from the public, sells them on eBay, and gives most of the proceeds to the sellers. On the face of it, they seem to be very straightforward. Earlier I wondered openly how they could afford to do this as a business, since the seller does indeed get most of the sales price money, minus a very minor fee.

Here are some points to consider if you've ever thought of buying from ISoldIt on eBay (any of many locations) or even getting into a franchise yourself.

1. The corporate owners of the ISoldIt franchise require a franchisee to pay a very large sum up front. (They're the only clear winners in this game.) All expenses for the store, advertising, etc. are the responsibility of the local owner.

2. The local owners make their profits in the 'handling charges'. Shipping costs you about 3-4 times what the post office charges (or more); they keep the rest. They will never combine shipping; even if you buy 20 items from a single ISoldIt store, they will each be sent individually (and thus with 20 very high 'handling charges'). These charges are not mentioned in the auction description. To discover them, you have a click on a button and use an ISoldIt program that is not part of standard eBay software.

3. The very high handling charges are a violation of eBay's policy. "Sellers may not avoid eBay fees (which apply to sales prices) by overcharging on shipping & handling (which do not involve eBay fees)." However, ISoldIt is a 'licensee' of eBay, and is exempt from this regulation by a secret agreement. eBay and ISoldIt will not admit this exemption exists -- but eBay does not enforce their rules in the case of ISoldIt stores, and the exemption is thus obvious.

4. Beware: If you buy from an ISoldIt, you are not allowed to simply pay for the merchandise. You must first fill out a special form, and are added to a bulk email list (for spam). ISoldIt (corporate HQ) uses an automated system that sends spam to everyone who buys from them. Note that this is illegal in most states, but the law has yet to be enforced in this case. Since ISoldIt is an official eBay affiliate, eBay is also a party to this illegal spam.

5. ISoldIt gives you 7 days to pay for your purchase. However, if you do not pay immediately, ISoldIt corporate sends you "reminders", each of which primarily promotes ISoldIt (i.e. Spam). The local ISoldIt store may also send similar spam ('reminders' with lots of sales pitches attached). Their emails may leave cookies on your computer.

6. As a minor annoyance (though not technically a violation), ISoldIt auctions contain 'Auctionmercials', audio features that will start when you view their auctions, whether or not you bid on them. If you're listening to your favorite music as you browse eBay, it will be interrupted by their commercial, and you will be irritated. This will leave a cookie on your computer.

What can you do about it? Glad you asked. You must be a registered eBay user already, tho -- but that's free.

First go to eBay.com. Search for sellers named "ISoldIt" in whatever combination. Find items they are selling, in list form.
Now turn off your computer audio, to avoid the auctionmercials. (Remember to delete the cookie later, though.)
Open an item being offered, and scroll to the bottom of the screen. There you will find a link named "Report This Item".
Click on it and follow the instructions, specifically reporting "Evasion of eBay fees" by excessive 'handling' (select from a list of possible violations). That will end in a screen that allows you to email your report. Click on that, and the item number will automatically be inserted. Click on "Send". Your report has been filed.
If eBay gets enough of these complaints, the ISoldIt abuses will be stopped.

Good Luck.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:57 am 

ExTSR wrote:A Warning about "I Sold It" (on eBay & in your own home town)

There is a national USA franchise of hundreds of stores bearing the name "ISoldIt". The franchise stores accept items from the public, sells them on eBay, and gives most of the proceeds to the sellers. On the face of it, they seem to be very straightforward. Earlier I wondered openly how they could afford to do this as a business, since the seller does indeed get most of the sales price money, minus a very minor fee.

Here are some points to consider if you've ever thought of buying from ISoldIt on eBay (any of many locations) or even getting into a franchise yourself.

Good Luck.

I can't verify a lot of what Frank says because when I see ISoldIt I run for the hills.  But from my reading of Wall Street Journal, I see that many franchise buyers have banded together into a class action suit trying to sue ISoldIt.  It seems the claims of the company are delibertly overinflated and the company fails to disclose the rate of failure for new stores plus that the liscensee fee is way overpriced.  Basically about half ISoldIts will fail within a year of opening, and the company gets to keep the 50-60k liscense fee regardless.  And to add insult to injury, the suit states that after promising you lots of support the company virtually disappears after collecting your liscencing fee and you are pretty much on your own (which is why a lot of them fail miserably).
     That is why so many imitators have popped up that are far more successful, it doesn't take a genius to note that for 50k you can start your OWN ebay business and not have all the baggage associated with running a IStoleIt.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:55 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
I'm moving on now before I start using naughty words like last time. I'm getting worked up, and this time I haven't even been drinking ...

Oh, just admit it, you want Bupu's favors.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:03 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:
I'm moving on now before I start using naughty words like last time. I'm getting worked up, and this time I haven't even been drinking ...

Oh, just admit it, you want Bupu's favors.

frank your funny :)

my bupu you mean Tonya i take it?

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:40 pm 

ExTSR wrote:A Warning about "I Sold It" (on eBay & in your own home town)

I do not know why people use them, they take 35 - 45% of the final and ripoff buyers for shipping as well.

A busy Isoldit would be a cash cow, think of it, no buying inventory, no risk of long inventory turns, no receivables.  Just pack and collect cash.

Its a good idea as long as you just use there model and do not buy the franchise.  Think of it Menzters bread and Ebay drop off center :lol:

Later
Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:14 pm 

I am probably going to change my eBay name to Isolditt.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:02 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I am probably going to change my eBay name to Isolditt.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:04 am 

Another potential M-bag may go missing very soon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:05 am 

Blackmoor wrote:Another potential M-bag may go missing very soon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

you cant m-bag 6 books can you??!!

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:43 pm 

Shady seller Hall of Fame inductee: iSoldIt.

As in, all iSoldIts, everywhere, all the time, under any circumstances. Avoid like a syphilitic hooker who is late on her rent.

For further ranting, see many of the posts near here.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:13 pm 

Look at this f**King scammer:

Dungeons and Dragons Modules Lot | eBay

I almost shit whenever I saw a BIN of $500.00 on a lot auction with an OB3.  I was just about to BIN it when I decided to to a closer look and lo and behold B3 isn't even in the f***ing auction.  :evil:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:15 pm 

grrr...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:20 pm 

That is just totally chickenshit — anyone sending a "sternly worded" note to the seller?

My God, why do some people insist on thinking they are ... so ... damn ... clever? :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:23 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:That is just totally chickenshit — anyone sending a "sternly worded" note to the seller?

Does this qualify?

bclarkie wrote:Nice scam there putting up a picture of a extremely rare module that isn't even the auction listing. Trying to trick someone into buying the auction immediately without reading the whole text is about as low as you can go.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:44 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:That is just totally chickenshit — anyone sending a "sternly worded" note to the seller?

Does this qualify?

bclarkie wrote:Nice scam there putting up a picture of a extremely rare module that isn't even the auction listing. Trying to trick someone into buying the auction immediately without reading the whole text is about as low as you can go.

Nice spot, Brian, but is anyone gonna knock the BIN off in case someone falls for this?
Not that potentially getting landed for $30 shipping is a particularly pleasant proposition either, should eBay not remove the auction in time... :?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:01 am 

(thank you :))

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:06 am 

Looks like someone already tagged the auction. Come on, fess up, who is it? I love the names you are coming up with for these accounts!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:01 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Looks like someone already tagged the auction. Come on, fess up, who is it? I love the names you are coming up with for these accounts!

I reported it as a fraudulent listing; others please to the same.

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 59 of 112123 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 110111112