Shady dealers of the past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 111 of 112123 ... 108, 109, 110, 111112
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:33 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
I guess I am just not seeing the "I did it myself once a long time ago, so somehow that justifies it" defense.  

Not justified, but understandable....who hasn't gotten drunk at least once and made an absolute fool of themselves? Well, the bible has something about casting stones...seems applicable at least in my case.  I know there are others who never make mistakes, never participate in rash actions or do things they ever regret. I know, I run into them all the time  :roll: .  Myself, I believe in the second chance.  I have benefitted many times....

More great pub for our hobby and our site...lovely. :roll:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:39 pm 

sorry but that is just incredibly childish.

they guy was in the wrong and clearly cant accapt criticism.

heres my suggestion for the classifieds. there should be a sticky on the classifieds which mentions that acaeum users can post on the classifieds, providing they make an appropriate number of posts on other threads per 1 classified post. if they dont and someone posts there, the post will be removed.

or something like that....

the babble on the ebay listing is just silly. you can prb complain to ebay about that.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:44 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Not justified, but understandable....who hasn't gotten drunk at least once and made an absolute fool of themselves? Well, the bible has something about casting stones...seems applicable at least in my case.  I know there are others who never make mistakes, never participate in rash actions or do things they ever regret. I know, I run into them all the time  :roll: .  Myself, I believe in the second chance.  I have benefitted many times....

More great pub for our hobby and our site...lovely. :roll:

Mike B.

Mike, as noted above in my other post, I likely f**k up more than most, however I am not sure stealing from the site qualifies as a f**k up, it seems quite intentional to me.  I guess I am just more sensitive than most when I look at all the great volunteer work Scott has put into it over the last 8+ years to make it what it is today, just to let people crap all over it whenever they feel like it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:29 pm 

What the hell!  I waste the afternoon doing actual work instead of reading this thread, and things go to pot again...  :roll:

It's not unreasonable to expect the Acaeum to be mentioned/credited.  However, in this free information era, people conveniently forget that others are putting hard work into the stuff that appears online.  Posting classified ads to a forum you've never visited before is also a severe breach of netiquette.  The fact is, some people don't have manners.

That being said, we really need to collectively work on our response to these issues as they arise.  Lately I've observed a rampant "us vs. them" mentality, and frankly, it's getting a little bit tiresome.  Please, let's at least try take the high road when first addressing these guys -- because when we don't, we come off looking worse than the offending party.  :wink:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:31 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:What the hell!  I waste the afternoon doing actual work instead of reading this thread, and things go to pot again...  :roll:

It's not unreasonable to expect the Acaeum to be mentioned/credited.  However, in this free information era, people conveniently forget that others are putting hard work into the stuff that appears online.  Posting classified ads to a forum you've never visited before is also a severe breach of netiquette.  The fact is, some people don't have manners.

That being said, we really need to collectively work on our response to these issues as they arise.  Lately I've observed a rampant "us vs. them" mentality, and frankly, it's getting a little bit tiresome.  Please, let's at least try take the high road when first addressing these guys -- because when we don't, we come off looking worse than the offending party.  :wink:

Bah, get the Tree hugger!!   :P  :wink:  :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:42 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Bah, get the Tree hugger!!   :P  :wink:  :lol:

Heh.  You just remember what happened to the last guy that messed with the trees.
Isengard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:45 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Heh.  You just remember what happened to the last guy that messed with the trees.
Isengard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't make me mail you all of my hardcover books and force you to determine all the printing differences in them. :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:48 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Don't make me mail you all of my hardcover books and force you to determine all the printing differences in them. :twisted:

If you have a 4th printing DMG, send it on over.  (Ask BadMike why.)  :twisted:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

Mike, as noted above in my other post, I likely f**k up more than most, however I am not sure stealing from the site qualifies as a f**k up, it seems quite intentional to me.  I guess I am just more sensitive than most when I look at all the great volunteer work Scott has put into it over the last 8+ years to make it what it is today, just to let people crap all over it whenever they feel like it.

I do agree. Scott has done a helluva job. I just think a carefully worded reminder or suggestion is preferable than coming down on someone like a ton of bricks.  I honestly don't think the guy was cackling, twirling his mustache and rubbing his hands together like Dastardly Dan or whatever  :D  And like I said I've been guilty of this behavior myself so I know how it can happen.  I also agree with Deimos...this site needs to be less "Us vs Them" and more ambassador work out there.  I love this hobby and don't want everyone who visits the site and perhaps says the wrong thing or does something goofy to get their cajones kicked up around their tophat  :)  I mean sometimes, it IS unintentional I'm sure.  Hell, I'll volunteer to be the one who emails these guys and says something like "Hello!  Nice to see you have used the Acaeum descriptions as part of your item description on ebay.  It would be appreciated if you".....blah blah blah fill in the blanks if it would help.  Maybe we could take turns......

What the hell! I waste the afternoon doing actual work instead of reading this thread, and things go to pot again...  

That was your first mistake Deimos......doing "actual work" instead of reading the thread!  What were you thinking!!!!!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:55 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:If you have a 4th printing DMG, send it on over.  (Ask BadMike why.)  :twisted:

Ahhhh!  Have you made any headway in this sick, demented, twisted experiment of yours?  You're worse than Dr. Moreau!!!!! 8O

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:02 pm 

Um, I got a 4th, am I damned for owning one???

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:08 pm 

Badmike wrote:Ahhhh!  Have you made any headway in this sick, demented, twisted experiment of yours?  You're worse than Dr. Moreau!!!!! 8O

Sadly no.  I still don't have one.  I mostly bring it up to give you nightmares, really.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:17 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:If you have a 4th printing DMG, send it on over.  (Ask BadMike why.)  :twisted:

Well, if I did have one, I still wouldn't let you tear apart. :wink:  Nice DMG, good DMG, I won't let the bad man hurt you.... :lol:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:47 pm 

If you have a 4th printing DMG, send it on over.  (Ask BadMike why.)  

I'll bite, why?

I have an extra if you are interested, or do you just need some info from/about it?

Therapy-level collector

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:10 pm 

Badmike wrote:

Hell, I'll volunteer to be the one who emails these guys and says something like "Hello! Nice to see you have used the Acaeum descriptions as part of your item description on ebay. It would be appreciated if you".....blah blah blah fill in the blanks if it would help. Maybe we could take turns......

Mike B.

Sorry, I missed this thread yesterday, but it brings up some of the IP issues that were discussed recently in the H3 thread acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5552&a ... mp;start=0.  I believe Badmike's suggestion is an excellent idea.  Many of you have spent countless hours compiling the information for the Acaeum and do not deserve to have your efforts and/or IP boggarted in an auction listing without at least a passing reference or credit to this site.  After re-reading the 'Credits & Legal' page, it is quite clear that if you quote from or use a scan from this site, then you need to have prior written permission from either the webmaster or the original contributor to use their work.  I would imagine in practice this almost never happens.  My guess is that when someone is trying to come up with the verbiage for their auction listing just to unload a few old books from their childhood, they a) copy from a similar auction listing or b) google 'D&D' and the keywords and hit upon this or another D&D-related site.  Voila!  All the hard work is done and another victimless crime has been committed. :cry:

Now, most people do this out of ignorance, laziness, or indifference.  If this site is to be an ambassador for D&D collecting as some have suggested, a polite email requesting proper credit for the Acaeum is certainly not out of order.  Even further provide them with the following content they can add to their listing:  "Item details provided courtesy of the D&D collecting site 'The Acaeum.' If the auction listing is changed, then great. Mission accomplished.  However, if the seller chooses to ignore the email, a representative of this site should send an email to Ebay notifiying them of the copyright violation.  Whether Ebay takes action is another matter, but at least you have provided a polite cease and desist order. :wink:

As I am relatively new to this community and do not have the 'collecting' experience of many of you to contribute, I would be more than happy to offer to help BadMike and others send the required emails. Please let me know.

I think you guys, gals, and half-orcs have done a fantastic job with the site and now have me addicted to perusing the forums several times a day.   :wink: Keep up the good work.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:35 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:I'll bite, why?

I have an extra if you are interested, or do you just need some info from/about it?

Well, thanks for the offer, but I doubt you'll want to contribute once you know what's involved.  ;)

I'm hoping to obtain several (about twenty or so) low-condition, low-cost 4th printings of the DMG -- to rip them apart and look for yellow bits of paper.  Because I'm not willing or able to put much money or time into this endeavour, I haven't actually obtained any yet.

It was actually Paul's suggestion, in this thread:
Research Help: Dungeon Masters Guide • Page 3 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:17 pm 

On one hand thats a noble cause, bur on the other its like asking if anyone would volunteer for a pre-mortum autopsy.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:20 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Well, thanks for the offer, but I doubt you'll want to contribute once you know what's involved.  ;)

I'm hoping to obtain several (about twenty or so) low-condition, low-cost 4th printings of the DMG -- to rip them apart and look for yellow bits of paper.  Because I'm not willing or able to put much money or time into this endeavour, I haven't actually obtained any yet.

It was actually Paul's suggestion, in this thread:
Research Help: Dungeon Masters Guide • Page 3 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

:lol:  :twisted:  :lol:  :twisted: This is kind of sick, and shows, once again, that the world is a funny old place! (what are you going to do with the DMG remains when you have butchered them?)(I guess at 300 odd page each you could probably wallpaper your house - interesting dinner conversation - if you can find anyone still willing to come round your house!!)(I'm only kidding btw, not being nasty :D )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 111 of 112123 ... 108, 109, 110, 111112