Suspicion
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:29 am 

Call me over suspicious, probably due to the nature of my work, but I feel something is wrong with a transaction I just completed on EBay, where else.

I have a local games store near me which for various reasons I do not use, Caliver Books, even though they are less than two minutes from my home, they sometimes have items on EBay, but have been warned not to use them even then.

Well recently I placed some low bids on some items from another seller and sent a question about combined shipping and as the seller was very local about pick-up and cash payment. If they save postage I can bid more, I can't see anything wrong in that. No reply, this annoys me, but no reply no more bids. Well any way at the end of the auction I won five items, went to pay now, but nothing ther,e no methods of payment, no P&P and no address. So I mailed again. No answer and then again. Received a mail saying they had sent previous mails (they had not) and P&P was as per listing (no combining) and no pick-up, fine by me as they had gone so cheaply, but £12.50 postage for five modules from down the road was a bit steep.

The parcel has just arrived, guess what the return address is Caliver Books, all of the items carrying shop price tags!!

So being highly curious by nature I looked at both user names and found the seller, I had bought from, had made 21 of his 79 purchases from Caliver Books and had only ever bought games related items from them!!!

Am I being over suspicious or is something rotten here?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:34 am 

Epicrates_cenchria wrote:Call me over suspicious, probably due to the nature of my work, but I feel something is wrong with a transaction I just completed on EBay, where else.

I have a local games store near me which for various reasons I do not use, Caliver Books, even though they are less than two minutes from my home, they sometimes have items on EBay, but have been warned not to use them even then.

Well recently I placed some low bids on some items from another seller and sent a question about combined shipping and as the seller was very local about pick-up and cash payment. If they save postage I can bid more, I can't see anything wrong in that. No reply, this annoys me, but no reply no more bids. Well any way at the end of the auction I won five items, went to pay now, but nothing ther,e no methods of payment, no P&P and no address. So I mailed again. No answer and then again. Received a mail saying they had sent previous mails (they had not) and P&P was as per listing (no combining) and no pick-up, fine by me as they had gone so cheaply, but £12.50 postage for five modules from down the road was a bit steep.

The parcel has just arrived, guess what the return address is Caliver Books, all of the items carrying shop price tags!!

So being highly curious by nature I looked at both user names and found the seller, I had bought from, had made 21 of his 79 purchases from Caliver Books and had only ever bought games related items from them!!!

Am I being over suspicious or is something rotten here?

Could be someone local scooping them from Caliver and trying to make a profit on eBay...nothing wrong with that, really.  Or it could be something more sinister.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:49 am 

The only thing that got me thinking was the return address and therefore the sender was Caliver Books and not the name the seller had used.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:04 am 

hi spencer. hey funny you should mention that name "caliver books", but i had a run in with them a couple of years ago. i cant even remember what it was about now, but in the end i vowed i wouldnt transact with them in relation to anything, even if they were the last RPG shop on the planet.

they are awful to deal with and i have a few friends who have had similar experiences.

i have had instances like this a few times now and i have a small list of ppl i simply will not deal with and thats that.

i bought a pallet of books from someone in blackpool (which in the end didnt happen).....and as it happens, is only about 35 miles away, not far. so i would have been happier going there and getting the pallet myself instead of incurring £70 couriers fee, who was shi*t anyway and took 4 weeks to get the books to me! but anyway....same thing, they wouldnt allow you to go to the place and pick up....i think thats lame myself. i do that if i can cos it saves me parcelling things and its always nice to meet ppl you deal with.

but as for the guy himself, you might find, as mentioned, simply buys stuff from there from time-to-time, makes a lil profit and passes it on.

might be worth keeping an eye on tho, just in case?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:12 am 

I have done a little more research now and traced the email of the seller.

DRUM ROLL

Dave Ryan the proprietor of Caliver Books!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:14 am 

I've bought from Caliver, too. Their business strategy is pretty obvious: They heavily overcharge on shipping (shipping is stated in the auctions), because there are no eBay fees on shipping. The good thing about this is, that they mostly sell below value. If you know about that, a deal can sometimes be made.

However, they are definitely not the friendliest seller.

Spencer, my wild guess is that the guy you bought from is one of the guys from the bookstore selling stuff from Caliver, using his personal eBay account.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:26 am 

Could you list the eBay seller ID's so we can take a look at the seller(s). Maybe it's about time we had a Shady Seller Blacklist, and rate them according to how many people had had bad experiences with them. That would give newbies, and people who hadn't come across someone before, a chance to evaluate a sellers standing/reputation with the people who have the most experience shelling out money.

Bad idea?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:41 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Could you list the eBay seller ID's so we can take a look at the seller(s). Maybe it's about time we had a Shady Seller Blacklist, and rate them according to how many people had had bad experiences with them. That would give newbies, and people who hadn't come across someone before, a chance to evaluate a sellers standing/reputation with the people who have the most experience shelling out money.

Bad idea?

shelling out money? hey thats my middle name :D

prb not such a bad idea that. amongst the maybe's and maybe not's, there are some right rogues out there, which even i have run foul of from time to time, so i personally would find it extremely helpful, especially when a LOT of money is changing hands.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:56 am 

I have also dealt with Caliver Books before.  The first and last time.

The service was OK.  But their shipping was ridiculous.  In fact the more you won, the more expensive it seemed to get!  OK it's listed in the auction.  But you usually expect sellers to cut a deal where you have won more than one auction.  Not Caliver Books, totally inflexible.

So, unless they've got a high value item going well below book price, I wouldn't bother bidding.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:07 am 

They got me one time. I didn't take the time to read the fine print, saw that the items were ending fast so I bid thinking I was getting a deal. Found out after the auction about "won"t combine shipping". OUCH!!! The shipping cost me alot more than the items themselves.
Almost as bad as the guy up in New Hampshire that tried to charge me $15 to ship a couple of miniatures. I mean c-mon fellow, their mini's not truck tires.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:11 am 

The two user names are

caliverbooks
&
defrevill43 (which is Dave Ryan owner of Caliver Books)

Who obviously buys from himself and gives great feedback to himself!!!

I have no problem with people buying to resell, but buying from yourself on EBay to sell again is a little off the mark.

I wonder if he does it as Caliverbooks has such a bad name, but then he should not have made it so obvious.

My biggest problem with any seller is when they do not reply to reasonable questions!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:50 am 

Epicrates_cenchria wrote:The two user names are

caliverbooks
&

Who obviously buys from himself and gives great feedback to himself!!!

I have no problem with people buying to resell, but buying from yourself on EBay to sell again is a little off the mark.

I wonder if he does it as Caliverbooks has such a bad name, but then he should not have made it so obvious.

My biggest problem with any seller is when they do not reply to reasonable questions!!

Buying from yourself under a different name is illegal under the UK eBay contract. He can't even use the excuse that he is buying from his business, especially if you can prove he is the owner (or even a principle holder) of the business.

You could complain to eBay, but first off, if you don't like to quality of what you've bought you could contact the seller and point out that he has sold you items under fraudulent circumstances.

The story is that you have had bad experiences with cavileir attitude before and decided you'd never buy from them again. Your disagreement with the company is one of quality. You purchased from an individual who you have discovered is a second ID for cavilier attitude and who has been artificially inflating his user rating by buying from himself and leaving positive feedback.

That really depends on whether or not you're really pissed at what's happened.

An alternative may be to ask a friend who's into buying cheap stuff to set up an eBay account in an internet cafe. Then buy all his stock and ask him to ship it to the Soviet Block. Tell him your working there in a medical ward and you have problems with mail in Russia, so you'd like each item mailed individually. Tell him you'll post him an international money order and that if you post in on Thursday it should be with him in four weeks.

Four weeks later slap him with stacks of negative feedback.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:17 pm 

Just don't deal with the guy, simple.  I never will after hearing this.  Lets start a shady dealer list! 8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:21 pm 

Epicrates_cenchria wrote:The two user names are

caliverbooks
&

Thats
caliverbooks
&
defreville43
in case you were trying to check out bidding history like me.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:25 pm 

At the end of the day no harm done to me.

It is just annoying that people with bad reputations are able to do this so easily. I will report the incident to EBay with the information I have, but even then he will probably have registered one at the business address and the other at his home. How much digging will the do to prove what I have said.

It is in my, luckily, very limited experience, hard enough to get them to do anything when the issue is blatant. Has anyone ever had any luck with such a complaint?

I think the idea of a 'Shady dealer' thread is a good one. Even if people only post suspicion, then it will allow others to proceed more carefully.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:48 pm 

Why not create an eBay Smack list? Then people like Wackaman could serve out some negatives.
Let's face it, eBay isn't going to do jack shit. Like everything else in the world today, if you don't do it yourself, it doesn't get done.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:09 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Why not create an eBay Smack list? Then people like Wackaman could serve out some negatives.
Let's face it, eBay isn't going to do jack shit. Like everything else in the world today, if you don't do it yourself, it doesn't get done.

I agree with this totally. Buying/bidding from yourself is shilling(a.k.a bidding fraud).  Based on EBay's history, as recently as the whole CJCORNWALL (who now happens to be an active member of the Ebay community again  :roll: )incident that happend no more than a month ago, Ebay apparently is more concerned with filling their own pockets than they are in protecting their members.  With that I say until Ebay decides to side with their honest members and protect them, then whatever needs to be done should be done. Just my .02.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:37 pm 

If you didn't want to pay shipping, you could have walked to the shop?

A lot of people pad shipping in EBAY, it is very common.  You had the same choice as walking in the shop.

If he was bidding on his own items in competition with legitimate buyers, that would be a different problem.

Next