Dragon Magazine - with demon summoning game
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:00 am 

Hi,

I used to read 'dragon' when I was a teenager (a fair while back). I remember getting one issue that had a free game included in it. The game board was a pull-out page if I remember. It was a 2 p-layer game, where  each had to summon demons on a 'pentagram design?'. The object was to own more power points (positions on the board), than the other player when all pieces were down.

Does anyone have any idea what issue this game was in ? Or perhaps remember this game themselves? per4haps the game name ?

thx in advance for any feedback

:>

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:12 am 

resincake wrote:Hi,

I used to read 'dragon' when I was a teenager (a fair while back). I remember getting one issue that had a free game included in it. The game board was a pull-out page if I remember. It was a 2 p-layer game, where each had to summon demons on a 'pentagram design?'. The object was to own more power points (positions on the board), than the other player when all pieces were down.

Does anyone have any idea what issue this game was in ? Or perhaps remember this game themselves? per4haps the game name ?

you could always try here....

403 Forbidden

i always found that page quite helpful when i was looking for something...

as i am not sure of the game in particular that you are on about, it DOES have these ones listed:

Games

Dragon Magazine Article Index

Title
Issue
Page

"Snit Smashing"

Includes pull-out color game board

"King of the Tabletop"

"King of the Tabletop Q & A"

"Out on a Limb, Tabletop Troubles"

"Out on a Limb, Tabletop Allies"

"Flight of the Boodles"

"Sage Advice, ‘In the game…' "

"The Baton Races of Yaz"

"Elefant Hunt"

"Dragonchess"

"Letters, No Set Plans"

"Letters, Dragonchess"

"Forum, Kline"

"Letters, Game of Kings"

"Letters, D-Chess I"

"Letters, D-Chess II"

"Adventure Trivia !"

"Letters, Lizard Bites Man"

"Nibar's Keep"

"Clay-O-Rama"

"Letters, Clay-O-Mania I"

"Letters, Clay-O-Mania II"

"King's Table"

"Letters, Two Problems"

"Letters, Dragonlance Chess ?"

"Orc Wars"

"For Your Orcs Only"

if its none of them, then its in an issue where they don't have an index, so you're going to have a right ol fun time looking for it :)

regards

Alan

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:21 am 

I used to read 'dragon' when I was a teenager (a fair while back). I remember getting one issue that had a free game included in it. The game board was a pull-out page if I remember. It was a 2 p-layer game, where each had to summon demons on a 'pentagram design?'. The object was to own more power points (positions on the board), than the other player when all pieces were down.

also try here...

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:jd ... e%22&hl=en

thats some guy trying to build a list of the games that was in dragon mags...some pics too....was it one of them?

sorry i couldnt help more than this, but a fun search nonetheless!! :D

Alan

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:24 pm 

I actually have a copy of the Dragon Magazine Archives 5 CD set on its way to me in the mail right now. I should have them within a few days and if somebody doesn't get you a definitive answer by then I will search through and see if I can find it for you and post it back here.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:00 pm 

Could be Arrakhar's Wand perhaps. It was published in Dragon #69. Here's the intro:

"ARRAKHAR'S WAND is a fantasy
boardgame of tactics and strategy for
two players. One player (the sorcerer
player) hides the wand in his realm and
defends it with a group of evil sorcerers
who can summon the aid of demons,
orcs, and ghouls. The other player (the
wizard player) invades with a force of
good wizards, barbarians, dwarves, and
elves, seeking to locate the wand and
escape with it."

Another guess: are you thinking of Necromancer, from Steve Jackson Games? Before it became a boxed game, it was published in an issue of Fantasy Gamer.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:41 pm 

I'm almost certain the game you're thinking of is DEMONS, an SPI game. It was of the "microgame" variety and was based directly on The Lemegeton (aka The Greater Key of Solomon).  I can't say for sure, but it was probably included in an issue of their magazine ARES.

Hope that helps.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:32 am 

thx for all the replies ppl, .. :>

I have checked what each of you have said, and any links offered, but still cannot locate this game. I am 90% certain it was in a dragon magazine ..  One player was the summoner ands the other ws the demon. The demon has to destroy the protection points on the pentegram, to get at the wizard. The wizard has to p[rotect them. I cannot rememebr anymore than that, not even the exact details on how moves were taken, and points won, etc ..

I am beginning to think I may have either dreamed this event, or played the game from another source than dragon. Although I really am certain it was in a dr4agon amgazine ..

oh well .. my quest continues .. thx for any help given ..

;>