Storage Box
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 am 

What's a good size box for modules and hardcover books? The storage boxes for comics likely run too small. Thanks

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:27 pm 

There are "magazine size" storage boxes (same composition as the standard comic book short box or long box) that fit both modules and soft/hardcover rulebooks.  You can also buy these in plastic, but those become fairly pricey once you start adding it all up.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:29 am 

These or similar

Amazon.com: Magazine Cardboard Storage Box by BCW: Office Products

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:41 pm 

The amazon page has a lot of comments about the BCW boxes being too thin, any issues with them?

What do you guys do for box sets? I have a few in shrink and am always worried about tearing the shrink because I dont have a good way of storing them other than just flat on a shelf.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:21 pm 

I used the BCW boxes for a long time and they worked great (assuming they're stored in a dry area).  For box sets, I ended up using transparent plastic bins - you can buy these at most home or container stores.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:44 am 

I use various boxes from bagsunlimited.com including these sturdy bad boys:

Magazine Storage Box - PLASTIC Corrugated

I have about 30 of them and I love them.

~throwi

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:35 am 

Am i doing it wrong? Stacking them instead of standing them up? I have been stacking modules, maybe 15 or so deep, in plastic storage containers.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:50 am 

Tszii wrote in Storage Box:Am i doing it wrong? Stacking them instead of standing them up? I have been stacking modules, maybe 15 or so deep, in plastic storage containers.

I believe it's just preference (unless you're talking about box sets, then yes, the depth of the stack matters).  You can access the material much easier if you don't stack them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:27 am 

Tszii wrote in Storage Box:Am i doing it wrong? Stacking them instead of standing them up? I have been stacking modules, maybe 15 or so deep, in plastic storage containers.

Stacking modules or magazines is akin to stacking comic books; it causes spine roll over time, and spine roll is bad.  You want to bag and board them and stand them up.  And you don't want to cram the materials into boxes either.  Here's an article on preserving comics, but the advice applies to lots of D&D items as well.

COMIC AND MAGAZINE PRESERVATION | The Collection Drawer Co.

8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 am 

benjoshua wrote in Storage Box:

Stacking modules or magazines is akin to stacking comic books; it causes spine roll over time, and spine roll is bad.  You want to bag and board them and stand them up.  And you don't want to cram the materials into boxes either.  Here's an article on preserving comics, but the advice applies to lots of D&D items as well.

8)

I try to minimize spine roll by alternating each book by 180 degrees.  It makes the stack more even (but not perfect due to variances in each book such as page count, cover material, and binding type).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:53 am 

Skullhammer wrote in Storage Box:
benjoshua wrote in Storage Box:

8)

I try to minimize spine roll by alternating each book by 180 degrees.  It makes the stack more even (but not perfect due to variances in each book such as page count, cover material, and binding type).

Stacking remains a problematic storage technique.  Even the pressure of one comic on another is problematic over time.  The bottom line is, you can't find any reputable comic book collectors who say stacking is acceptable.  That said, it's your collection.  Do what you want.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:32 pm 

Do you guys use drawer-style storage boxes?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:19 pm 

I use Sterilite 66 qt/16.5 gal storage bins - ususally from Target. I buy them when they're on sale for $5.99 each.

They hold a buttload of hardcovers upright, and a buttload more of comics. I put my miniatures in them too.
I have 12 of them at current count. And still haven't put all my stuff away.

[img][attachment=0]66qt16.5gal.jpg[/img]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:19 pm 

For my modules and for a box to work out of while I catalog things that I am purchasing whatever they may be. I am using Banker's Boxes that I got at one of the big Box office supply stores. They are designed to hold a lot of paper so are fairly sturdy built and fold together easy. The ones I am using came 10 boxes to a box. I think the box of 10 was like $20 to $25. They are not going to fall apart with a lot of weight in them. But cardboard won't protect from water of course. (Live in a flood plane?)  The one issue I have with that for now is the books will have to be set in on one of their long edges. I haven't thought thought whether spine edge or pages edge down would be better.

As for boxed sets, I have to agree about using Sterilite. Hard outer shells FTW!

And if you read this far, but don't feel it was worth your time, then I will say 'Read me no further, Lord or Lady ... and may the road rise up to meet your face."  :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:19 pm 

I use these.  They are a little pricey but are perfect for long term storage.

Attachment:
71U5D+AT5vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Storex-File-Stor ... 232&sr=8-8

They last forever, are stackable and protect from water if need be.  They can ho!d about 40 modules each and are easily transportable from closet to closet  :D .   Best investment I've ever made (next to D&D stuff of course).

Most of my stuff has been stored in them over 20 years with no degradation, warping or stressing.  Zero light so no fading.

For boxed sets and rule books, i use the Sterilite containers that Joe mentioned above.  

-SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:57 pm 

Update: I did bag and board modules before stacking them, but I dont stack them now. Ikea. :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:29 pm 

I've always like to do my own, especially ones with cool graphics on them.

Sides can be reinforced with extra panels to make them strong enough to stack on. All you need is a metal/wood ruler and a sharp knife. Thick panels can be misted with water to make them fold easier.

This was from a wide format copier. It's cut to magazine size but the box was larger than a refrigerator so I could have went a lot larger with it.

Attachment:
20210720_134615.jpg

I've been using these for an overflow of comic books. They had shrink wrap rolls in them originally. 16" Square, 24" tall - fold them off where you want them. Easier to carry and less chance for crushing and getting spine rolls with the books staggered I think.

Attachment:
20210720_135237.jpg

... or you could just buy something and have that much more time to game!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:59 pm 

I just keep mine bagged & boarded on my shelf.

BCW Magazine Boxes would probably be best.