Auction Hunter Public Search Engine
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:20 pm 

Hi folks,

Effective today, I've rolled back some of the features (some would say restrictions) of the system.  By default, when you click on an eBay item link, you'll now be sent to eBay itself.  The intent of the system was to keep users from going to eBay until they were actually ready to bid, but that hasn't been happening, for a variety of reasons.  As a result, over the past seven months the system has been active, eBay commissions have fallen to almost zero.  So, rather than continuing to fruitlessly rail against those users who are circumventing it, I'm forced to face reality and return that part of the system to the way it used to be.

If you wish to instead continue to see the Acaeum-served item page, you can still do so, via the top option on your eBay -> Watchlist -> Configuration screen. (Myself, I prefer the Acaeum version, but I'm biased).  Regardless of which you choose, you will not be helping/hurting site commissions; select whichever mode you prefer.

What WILL help this site to earn commissions is to click an eBay link on this site within 24 hours of the bid you place on eBay. If you place an item on your eBay.com watchlist, and then fail to click an Acaeum link within 24 hours of your bid, the Acaeum does not earn a commission.  Similarly, if you use Auction Hunter to find your 1st print D&D set, and then you enter that item number into your sniping service and forget about it, the Acaeum will not get credit for your win.  Enough said on all that; I'm tired and frustrated of fighting that battle.  If you're one of those people, then, um, shame on you, but the system is not going to throw up roadblocks to that behavior any longer.

Moving on:

Everyone's "Configuration" button on the Watchlist has been reset to glow yellow, as a reminder to go in and check your configuration.  I noticed that a lot of people probably assumed they set their configuration, but in actuality, it didn't save because you didn't enter a US zipcode.  The zipcode error message is now bolded, and is easier to notice.   If you live in the US, please enter your zipcode, or enter "10001" if you're a privacy fanatic.  Then the config settings will properly save, and the yellow highlight on that button will go away. You'll know you've successfully updated the config when it gives you a "Configuration Updated" message.

On an unrelated note, eBay has decided to stop showing completed auction results on their site.  They are gradually phasing out completed item listings, and instead will show you a "similar item" that's currently for sale.  This is totally annoying. Thankfully, they have not disabled completed item information in the API (yet), so I can still pull it locally.  I'm looking at redirecting all completed auction listings to an Acaeum-served item page instead. I mention this because if you've selected "Send me to eBay" in your configuration, and you click a completed item here, you'll be sent to an Acaeum page instead; this is intended behavior, and the only way you'll be able to see that completed-item info.

The "Rares Formerly on eBay" thread and the Valuation Board system will be unaffected by this change, as they utilize a caching system to store the info and pics permanently here.

All for now -- questions / comments welcome.  I realize this was a lot of information that I probably didn't explain well.

Foul

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:03 pm 

For the last year, the system has defaulted to showing you item auction pages on eBay.com itself.  I'd like to (re-)draw your attention to the Acaeum version of the item pages, which I recently tweaked, and which comes with several advantages:

• Display speed greatly enhanced; should display in under 1 second from when you click an eBay link

• Now has a button / image on the upper-right of the item description: "See it on eBay".  Clicking this will take you directly to the item page on eBay.com

• Eliminates a lot of the clutter of a standard eBay listing.  eBay's got all sorts of distractions on item pages, like similar items, links to daily deals, search bars, drop down category lists, etc, not to mention all the eye candy that sellers often add: blinking lights, animations, garish colors, links to other items they're selling, etc

• Add an item to your Acaeum eBay watchlist, ask a seller a question, easily view a seller's true eBay feedback percentage and feedback comments, all from the initial item page screen  

I encourage you to give the Acaeum version a spin and see if you like it.  If you don't, you can easily switch back.  And in either event, please leave me feedback on features you like, don't like, or suggestions for improvements.  If it's programatically within my abilities, I'll do my best to incorporate it!

In order to switch your configuration preference, navigate to eBay (top of your screen) / Configuration (upper right) / Use Acaeum system or go directly to eBay item page.  Regardless of which option you choose, the Acaeum will receive credit for any items you "click through" and eventually win, so this is strictly a cosmetic choice for you.  Thank you for your patronage!

Foul

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:35 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in Auction Hunter Public Search Engine:
  • Display speed greatly enhanced; should display in under 1 second from when you click an eBay link

A further bump to this -- display speed has been enhanced again (significantly); I'd say the page displays as fast as it does on eBay itself!

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:32 am 

Is there something wrong with the prices in Auction Hunter at the moment?

For example, all the listings for GDQ1 are showing amounts like $1 and $2.
ah.php?action=pgsearch&keywords=gdq1+queen+spiders+-&catsearch=2543&title=GDQ1-7+Queen+of+the+Spiders

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:59 am 

Yes... but now fixed.  :)

eBay made a change to how their API reports certain prices last month (without announcing or documenting the change), and I implemented a fix.  A day or two ago they reverted that change, so I needed to revert the code.  :(

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:12 pm 

Hey Scott, just wanted to let you know I've tried some eBay searches from the bottom of some of the module info pages and nothing seems to be coming back with results. I've tried several to no avail.

-SKA

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:47 pm 

Should be fixed now.  Thanks for reporting!

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:10 am 

FoulFoot wrote in Auction Hunter Public Search Engine:Should be fixed now.  Thanks for reporting!

Foul

Looks good.   PDT_Armataz_01_37

-SKA

Previous