Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:23 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:Someday ---- some glorious day ----  one of these posts is going to reveal that my virtually worthless 9th print DMG is actually a super rare 9.3 Gamma-Delta Print, one of only a handful of known copies personally bound and sewn by Gary Gygax during the little known Wisconsin printing press strike of 1986, and is now worth thousands of dollars!

:D

8O .....  :lol:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:11 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:Someday ---- some glorious day ----  one of these posts is going to reveal that my virtually worthless 9th print DMG is actually a super rare 9.3 Gamma-Delta Print, one of only a handful of known copies personally bound and sewn by Gary Gygax during the little known Wisconsin printing press strike of 1986, and is now worth thousands of dollars!

Someday, you could do it today

A fake website, some carefully placed Posts on some forums

"Hey, I've have proof that Gygax & Arneson's blood was put in the ink of just the 9th printing of the DMG..."

Some people will believe anything they read online :(

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:40 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:Some people will believe anything they read online

Words have magical powers, so writing them causes what's written to become true. It's basically science. You believe in science, don't you?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:35 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:
Mister Yuk wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:Some people will believe anything they read online

Words have magical powers, so writing them causes what's written to become true. It's basically science. You believe in science, don't you?

Haha!  That was fantastic.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:45 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:

Hehehe and many things are called Science when in reality, they are not.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:45 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:

Haha!  That was fantastic.

+1

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:53 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:Yeah, I'm looking at one also that's ending soon. It just, a few minutes ago, got a bid on it. Is it someone looking for a cheap DMG or is it someone who had read your post :) ? It's has been personalized which is something I like in these. I know from a Collecting viewpoint, you want it to be as "original condition" as possible but with this stuff I think there is some merit to having that unique-ness that shows how unique each person was that played this game. Maybe that's just me...

I think that's going to be something with these. If they are more cheaply made, they are going to typically be more worn. But also as in the case of the one you bought, sellers that don't know are going to take that rough cover as an imperfection, and those that know better will have an advantage - like us!

I remember reading on here that what is called a printing is not always so, specifically. If the book or module says it's a "x" printing - it is called that printing. If it does not specifically state a printing - it's more of just a guideline of which was probably before or after the others of it's name. That point was made in this post -

FoulFoot wrote in How do you tell a 2nd print S1 from a 7th?:Most likely there were dozens of actual printings, but so far, we've only be able to differentiate seven.  :)  Many prints may have been identical, since nothing needed to be changed.

If the sole difference in two prints is the placement of the ISBN, I'm likely to simply designate it as two versions of the Second print.  They were of course two separate printings, but it often gets to be ridiculous in shifting the whole sequence for such minor details (i.e., do you also designate a new printing if the size changes by a tenth of an inch?  I've been down that road, and it isn't pretty).  So, we'll have to see.

Foul

Personally I'd like to see stated printings called the various printings and if not stated, just be called groups or something like that (I can't think of a good word for it right this second). Either way, it's going to be confusing to someone. A lot of this is already confusing, like when TSR was mixing & matching Basic box sets together to clear out pieces or didn't have everything in the set that should have been.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that this lighter, rough-covered variety is rather common, since even more copies seem to be available on eBay. I do believe that due to the significant, drastic departures from the other Sixth Prints that this deserves its own Greek letter variant, so I hereby propose the inclusion of a "Sixth Print Delta" since it is different enough to warrant its own variety. Obviously it wouldn't affect the Seventh Print, which is the smooth-covered printing with rough textured pages, white endpapers and flyleaves, and the "Face" logo designed by Darlene Pekul.  Here is the current Dungeon Masters Guide listing that also includes the 1980s foreign editions:
https://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/dmg.html

This space can be YOURS if the price is right!!! (Okay, still working on this . . .  :p)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:25 pm 

MadCatUSA wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:
PaulyDragon wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:A bit more info:

The pages are even thinner than the rough-paper stock common to all the later printings (to cut down on production costs), but these thinner pages are SMOOTH! I just noticed that as I made this admittedly rambling and unscripted 8:17 video about this book, which is compared primarily with a regular Sixth Alpha Print, but also a First Print and a Second Beta Print to hopefully make clear the lighter-weight rough-covered 6th Print I have is possibly an anomaly with a logical backstory that has to be out there somewhere.

(The parts when I say "Second Alpha Print" are actually "Second Beta Print" . . . sorry about that!)

youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=uCIUX ... CIUXEsMyW0

Further speculation:
Could this be a UK or Aussie printing? Is there any way to tell for certain if it was printed in either country?

Here's the listed foreign editions, all of them having the Jeff Easley cover version:

DMG Foreign

All foreign versions of D&D product normally have indicators they are manufactured in those countries.  For instance, the pre-TSR UK versions of the PHB and the MM not only are softcover, but they also have prominent Games Workshop logos and printing information on the title page, along with UK-specific Product Lists complete with prices in Pounds Sterling.  This printing (the one in question) was printed in the USA, and distributed to USA and Canada by Random House.

This space can be YOURS if the price is right!!! (Okay, still working on this . . .  :p)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 pm 

Might be the Ceti Alpha V print, for all we know.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:34 pm 

Three photos of a second copy. Since D&D products were selling like wildfire around 1981 I am thinking this copy wasn't sitting on the shelf for very long. I suggest this odd but apparently common printing version came out in late 1980 just before the new Face Logo was printed on all new items. Therefore I am proposing a revision to the DMG page that would include this version as the Sixth Delta Print, with the lighter but smooth paperstock, the "throwback" rough cover material compensating for the thinner, less stiff cover stock, and the slightly smaller dimensions of the book as compared to the otherwise identical existing Sixth Gamma Print.

---Pauly

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:19 pm 

Does anybody else believe that, based on the evidence of what is surely a common yet distinct (and previously undescribed) version of 6th Print DMG, that this ought to have its own Greek letter designation-variant  in the established Dungeon Masters Guide page?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 pm 

PaulyDragon wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:Does anybody else believe that, based on the evidence of what is surely a common yet distinct (and previously undescribed) version of 6th Print DMG, that this ought to have its own Greek letter designation-variant  in the established Dungeon Masters Guide page?

I don't like making work for anyone but yes, I think a designation should be added or at least a note under that printing description

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:39 am 

I'd certainly say no to a second printer. That would require two sets of negatives, two sets of plates, and most likely two sets of spreads unless the negatives were made from the same sheets, in which case the type should be identical. There would certainly be many more of these things floating around if this were the case. As TSR was getting cheap on the printing by this point, I doubt they'd go spend the cash to have two printers running copies simultaneously.

I can't see from the photos any shift in type size, though definitely a shift on the pages. From what I can see, I'd have to lean towards a fan-made copy. Maybe taking the cover from an earlier print, and using photocopies of a later interior?

How does the description match interior vs. exterior characteristics with what is available here? Correct appendices/pages/photos etc.?

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 am 

SimperingToad wrote in Lighter-weight, flexible but rough-covered 6th Print  DMG?:I'd certainly say no to a second printer. That would require two sets of negatives, two sets of plates, and most likely two sets of spreads unless the negatives were made from the same sheets, in which case the type should be identical. There would certainly be many more of these things floating around if this were the case. As TSR was getting cheap on the printing by this point, I doubt they'd go spend the cash to have two printers running copies simultaneously.

I can't see from the photos any shift in type size, though definitely a shift on the pages. From what I can see, I'd have to lean towards a fan-made copy. Maybe taking the cover from an earlier print, and using photocopies of a later interior?

How does the description match interior vs. exterior characteristics with what is available here? Correct appendices/pages/photos etc.?

I am not an expert on these matters, but I also think that logic dictates "never say never". After all, there are plenty of these lighter weight (but better quality overall) printings available. I now have at least two of them (I have offered one for authentication), and it is easy to spot them on eBay auctions---the lettering and numbering very close to the bottom edge of the back cover, the distinctly rough-textured cover, and so forth. Given that huge quantities of the 6th Print in all varieties were printed, I don't think it would make much sense for people to whip up unauthorized fan  printings on their own. After all, a private printing would cost too much especially when you consider the rough cover and the page stock are better quality than the others of the time. (And the fact that until recently, the 6th Print series was a dime a dozen.) Also, note the copy shown had pencil writing dated 1981. Since the Sixth Gamma Print came out late in 1980, and the Seventh Print (with the Face Logo) came out in 1981, wouldn't it make sense for TSR to authorize one quick final Wizard Logo batch to keep up with demand? (The product was flying off the shelves around this time.)

In any event, I am going to make a page by page comparison using a cheesy Youtube video to follow up to that which I linked here in this thread, back in October. Hopefully this will help solve the mystery! I'd far rather help find a small discovery, rather than hawking a printing whose authenticity has yet to be fully established.

Here's that "1981" pencil inscription I was referring to, from earlier in the thread:

In the meantime, I will get the page-by-page walkthrough (6th Gamma Print vs "6th Delta Print") filmed and posted over the next couple days. Since I have neither William Shatnerian nor Patrick Stewartian acting chops, my narration might be a bit bland. Get your coffee ready for when you view the comparative walkthrough!

---Pauly

Last edited by PaulyDragon on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm 

Looking forward to it - maybe have some cool music going in the background of your video. Something like the Conan Soundtrack or some Iron Maiden

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:03 pm 

Before I do the video "walkthrough" I found a current eBay book-lot auction that happens to show the "6th Delta" to the right of a more conventionally-sized copy. Note how the conventionally-sized book is noticeably larger, and how much closer the logo is to the rim. Once again, this is more evidence this print was officially made around 1980/81, and wasn't some bootleg created years after the fact.

Huge Lot Early 1980s D D Dungeons and Dragons Books Manuals Game Items | eBay

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:23 pm 

The reason I brought up checking the covers and interiors separately is a possible mismatch between the two. The book you showed originally does appear to have an early cover material like my 2nd print MM and PHB. The one you linked to in the auction looks more like a later print by material, and the 'A' of 'Advanced' in the banner is very close to the left edge of the banner. The style of rubbing looks different as well. All of these characteristics are very similar to my 4th print DMG cover.

Which might suggest an ongoing thing throughout several, and not a specific printing. If the paper is indeed different from an otherwise equal known print, that would tend to rule out books made from overruns.

It might be worthwhile if those that have these guys could list the exact printings they have, noting any difference in cover vs. interior if applicable. Wish I could contribute, but I do not have one, and I don't recall having one pass though.

I'm still mystified why these would have been cut small. If it turns out to indeed be a single printing, it would probably be a simple matter of somebody goofing up the cut of the pages, then having to adjust the covers accordingly. If I am seeing what I think I am, though, we have at least two cover variants, which might mean at least two such errors.

I'm hoping for simplicity, myself.  :mrgreen:

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:13 am 

Walkthrough via Youtube. Had some technical issues with the aging phone camera, so it is in three parts. The first part was during the day before being properly caffeinated, while the second and third parts are from the evening.  Some Iron Maiden music  in the background, by request :3

I hope this isn't too boring!

tl;dw: Other than the smaller dimensions, rough-textured lightweight cover, smooth paperstock and reduced overall weight, this is exactly the same as the 6th Gamma Print. But the materials used are drastically different, which is why there should be a "Sixth Delta Print." I am willing to send this to an authenticator on the Aceum forums, if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0QH_WTzzP4 Part One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGUEYomwOYg Part Two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ts1cx59x8A Part Three

Roughly 12 minutes in length, combined.

PreviousNext