The Big Irony
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:42 am 

I've asked WOTC legal dep. on their official position on the issue and passed them the link to this thread. If I receive an answer, I will post it in the "copyright infringement" thread.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:26 pm 

red_dawn wrote:
As a "Reader" rather than a "Collector" of OOP items, Im struggling to see why I should care that the value of low-mid rarity items has come down.

Exactly. PDFs are here to stay, and the casual buyer is a winner for it. Collectors may not like the new reality, but it doesn't really matter.

PDFs are nice for printing a page or two from a perfect-bound manual that you don't want to wreck by smashing it into a scanner, but...

...printing out the entire 96-page book? That entails some cost in time, ink, and paper. And they still haven't developed a non-fatiguing computer screen on a portable, durable (as in droppable, like a book), inexpensive platform. When they do, E-books will spread like wildfire.

Has the price for an Orange B3 dropped the last five years or so?  The PDF on the TSR/WOTC website has been available for about that long.  I've had a pdf of The Jade Hare for several years, which I got from another guy online, yet I don't see the price for these dropping. Amazing Spiderman #1 reprints don't hurt the value of the original except for the most casual of fans.  Surely PDFs or copies of rare D&D items follow the same pattern.  
   PDFs have only hurt the value of items that were drastically overpriced to being with...those of us hording multiple copies of ST1, POTVQ, whatever, need not worry that copies will drive down value.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:04 pm 

IMHO, I don't think the devaluation of any item (D&D books or not) due to people stealing copyrights can ever be considered a good thing no matter what circumstance it is under. Stealing is stealing, regardless the color you want to paint it. I don't think there is a line you can straddle and say well since it is a lower value item and the market was too high for it, then its okay to steal its copyright. The market is what should place the value of the item regardless of the rarity or quality of it. If the market dictates at a given moment in time that an item is of a particular value then so be it, and loss of value due to "fakes" being produced is just flat out wrong. In the end the only ones who win with copyright theft are the thieves themselves and no one else.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Previous