Is it Stranger Things?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:50 pm 

Have prices on the vintage items only gone up in the last couple of years? Or have the been steady for some time? Did Stranger Things kick this off? Ready Player One got me in the mood to buy a copy of Tomb of Horrors which lead to my now collecting a little. Yep, I'm new. But am I the last drop of rain too?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 pm 

Tszii wrote in Is it Stranger Things?:Have prices on the vintage items only gone up in the last couple of years? Or have the been steady for some time? Did Stranger Things kick this off? Ready Player One got me in the mood to buy a copy of Tomb of Horrors which lead to my now collecting a little. Yep, I'm new. But am I the last drop of rain too?

Most of the collectors that I've encountered on this site were collecting TSR D&D long before Stranger Things.  However, after Stranger Things was released there was definitely a higher-than-usual demand for Grenadier Demogorgan miniatures.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:28 pm 

To me and I'm relatively new also. Higher grade is steadily rising especially on the earliest items. Mid and Lower grade is evening out or dropping when listed as single items.
I think the phenomenon is larger collections of mid to low grade Modules or when sellers list a bunch of Modules in separate listings with the same end date and combined shipping stated, those seem to be doing really well. I read somewhere that the Modules are being scooped up by store owners in Japan and being sold at a huge Markup compared to what most of us would value them at. That would explain what I'm seeing and makes sense to buy in quantity and save on shipping (esp to Japan) or maybe the idea of having an instant collection is appealing to some buyers.

Agree with Skull. Anytime something is displayed prominently in a popular TV show or movie, you're going to see it spike. Funny that the same isn't true for Grenadier's "Solid Gold Line" Box Sets, they seem to be getting steadily cheaper and I've been buying 'em up when the boxes are minty.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 pm 

I have been unloading my extras on Ebay for a while now. In the "old" days I used to buy up large lots around town, keep what I thought I needed and either sell the extras (if it was worth it) or box them up for later.  Stuff I could not get around town I picked up on eBay or through friends on this board.  I accumulated thousands of items doing this.

What I have noticed is a large price increase since Stranger Things was released; modules (like Lankhmar, Spelljammer, Ravenloft etc) that were virtually unsaleable a few years ago are now getting fairly good prices $20+. These items, even in shrink, were worthless before.  Other things like 1st ed items, almost all vintage boxsets and especially the rare items have all seen massive increases.  Sets like Night Below ($100+ even in bad shape), Greyhawk, Basic sets etc. are all going up and up.  Big increases in the 1st ed hardcover books $30+ if they are in good shape; I used to give these away because they were so worthless.  (I used to have 32 1st ed players handbooks at one point accumulated solely through buying lots).

I think the release of 5th D&D has also had a big impact on the vintage market as well.  So many people are rediscovering D&D with this new concise ruleset, it is very good and many in there mid forties and older are rediscovering D&D and going back to find there favorite older items.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:14 pm 

Just to add a bit the above post, some of the more interesting items I acquired while buying large lots (just off the top of my head):

Daystar West Pharaoh (I actually forgot I owned this and re-bought it later  :oops: )
Strategic Preview issue (cant remember the exact issue number but one of the 4)  
White Dwarf #1-6
Lots of older Fanzines (Alurums & Excursions #1-80 for example)
True first Basic box set (Sutherland Cover)
Shrink basic and expert sets (Moldvay versions)
1st print DMG
Etc.

One of the best purchases I ever made was a large lot of around 400 items from  guy that quit playing in 1981 or so, I got so many rare items in that load it is embarrassing to even think about it; all at a cost of around $2-3 per book and boxsets.

It was alot of fun collecting back then (now too but just alot more money  :D  )

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:10 pm 

I've been selling online since 1994, and one thing I've noticed is that sales tend to go up when a new edition is released. Cultural events/touchstones like Stranger Things certainly don't hurt.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 pm 

Thanks for the replies! I can imagine what it was like 15 years ago as PC and digital gaming got bigger and people pulled away from the table top.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:44 am 

Blackmoor wrote in Is it Stranger Things?:I think the release of 5th D&D has also had a big impact on the vintage market as well.  So many people are rediscovering D&D with this new concise ruleset, it is very good and many in there mid forties and older are rediscovering D&D and going back to find there favorite older items.

This was it for me, and also at least 2 other people in my regular FLGS gaming group. We all came back for 5e, but also are collecting items from our early gaming days and attending old school cons like NTRPG. So I think the resurgence predates Stranger Things by a couple years but of course some additional exposure on the show doesn't hurt.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:55 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in Is it Stranger Things?:
Agree with Skull. Anytime something is displayed prominently in a popular TV show or movie, you're going to see it spike. Funny that the same isn't true for Grenadier's "Solid Gold Line" Box Sets, they seem to be getting steadily cheaper and I've been buying 'em up when the boxes are minty.

A little update for the Miniatures collectors on here. Those Grenadier Box sets have seemed to turn around nicely. Glad I bought heavy when I did, I've been losing on my snipe bid by 2-4 bidders the last few months. Instead of winning or being second highest most of the time.

I'm wondering if a lot of it too has to do with a pretty decent economy right now. Stock market is booming, almost full employment (if you believe the numbers), maybe people are just becoming less afraid to spend their money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:47 am 

All good points here. I am one of these new collectors that have gotten into this field and purchase lots of things on Ebay driving up prices no doubt. For me personally, I am new to the collecting game and only have been doing it for the last few years and it was caused by the release of 5th edition. I have always played D&D/AD&D off and on my whole life since the late 70s, but right around 2nd edition, I stopped going to conventions (used to go to small conventions at the Anaheim Sheraton back in the day, Orcon or Gateway?). I stopped playing in organized play at the local shops and just played at home with some friends and never had a clue that these books could be worth something. Only when they released 5th and the buzz of it having that slight feel of the older versions did I have interest in checking it out and went to the local gaming stores here in Austin, Tx.. I started to run into people that were telling me the boxes and boxes of old books I had amassed and held on too all these years were worth something. So for me personally, it was 5th edition that really spring boarded me getting into collecting. Otherwise I would still be playing at home, continually destroying some of the valuable items I have through continual use without any clue whats going on in this collecting world.

Even this site, The Acaeum and the existence of NTRPG was from a local gaming store that I started playing 5th edition. Which funny enough, I dont play anymore as we went back to AD&D and BECMI D&D playing at home. LOL.

--Thor

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:56 pm 

I'm in the near-40 group that got into 5e after a 25-year break from the game and went back to buy the stuff I played as a kid, which is 2e for me. 2e has gotten very expensive lately. I bought a Dancing Hut in shrink just last year for $30 and now they are selling for $150+. There are several 2e modules in the $150-200 range now.

My collection has changed over the last year as well. I stopped buying lots altogether. It was getting way more books than I could ever read, duplicates, some falling apart, and getting into storage problems. I started selling those off and getting a more concise collection of favorites and then only the like-new hardcovers and shrink modules that are display worthy in my game room. If I want to read a module, I can find the pdf online and read it on my tablet.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:23 pm 

Doubt it's any one thing. There seem to be a number of factors hitting at the same time. Stranger Things and new media exposure, release of 5E, and I don't doubt the re-release of licenced PDFs all coming about in short order. Probably something else I'm missing as well.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:01 am 

SimperingToad wrote in Is it Stranger Things?:Doubt it's any one thing. There seem to be a number of factors hitting at the same time. Stranger Things and new media exposure, release of 5E, and I don't doubt the re-release of licenced PDFs all coming about in short order. Probably something else I'm missing as well.

In sooth. Well spoken.

Also re release of 0e box set, goodman games classic reprints, OSR movement in general

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:31 am 

Excellent additions SimperingToad and Scalydemon and I'd like to add my voice to Thor's that also especially this site, because I wouldn't be collecting today if it wasn't for the hard work done by the people on here. Plenty of people want to moan and groan about how The Acaeum isn't realistic on values or what not, and maybe it isn't (though when I figure in condition and throwing out obvious 'fantastic scores', the values DO seem to be pretty close a lot of the time). Having a site like this to give you a "Collector's Guide" to buying has been all important to me.

I took my sweet Mother out to dinner tonight and mentioned the popularity of 5th edition, she has almost zero knowledge of D&D other than that I played and she's been watching Tabletop on TV (she likes Wil Wheaton). I stated, I wonder if the popularity of 5th Ed. has to do also with a backlash on Online Video gaming. She said "Well duh, playing at a table with your friends is always going to be better than playing with no one". I said that it isn't really like that, you're playing with people all over the world sometimes. She said "It's still not the same, it's all of the extra stuff while playing that matters".

That said, I think we've done a small disservice to to Tszii though and not had an answer to the last part of his question

Tszii wrote in Is it Stranger Things?:Yep, I'm new. But am I the last drop of rain too?

That's the million dollar question, and I've wondered about that too.

I brought it up at my Auction a few weeks ago with some of the big buyers there (Coin and Bullion collectors), people that I know drop $20k, $50k to $250k or more a year on their "Hobby". I intentionally tried to be vague about it - D&D as "old games", Minis were "old lead soldiers, like the old Napoleon ones that you paint yourself". They thought it was all very interesting but ultimately said that it really depends on what amount of time you're talking about. In a hundred years is anyone going to care about it, probably not. But a shorter amount of time, what really matters is if there are constantly new collectors coming into the hobby that see value in what was produced before.

That's where I wonder a lot too. I don't think you can go wrong with buying iconic items in high grade. But I'm skeptical if shrink will matter much at some point in time (no offense to you wonderful shrink collectors out there). But will the bottom fall out of mid to lower grade items? Not as long as people keep wanting to play with them. What about non-iconic TSR or the other companies during that time and after? I see lots of love for other companies and gaming systems online but will that be true in another 10-20 years? I think the answer will have to do with the quality and usefulness of the individual item or how highly it is regarded then by those that collect in the future.

Old lead Minis though. The Lead is always going to be a problem obviously and Scale Creep. I also see a lot of bad mouthing of designs, with new buyers of Minis referring to them as "the bad old days of Minis". I really don't see it though myself, there's crap obviously in the old Minis design-wise. But I really see a lot going on with some of them, they're like art to me - They evoke a feeling of what "old school" is. I don't think in the future someone is going to look at some Masterpiece Painting in a Museum and say that's crap because it's not photo-realistic or looks enough like an Anime character. Bah, I collect Minis for me anyway. I'm really not concerned with their value over time. (Cop out answer, I know)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:04 am 

Tarmogoyf wrote in Is it Stranger Things?:I'm in the near-40 group that got into 5e after a 25-year break from the game and went back to buy the stuff I played as a kid, which is 2e for me. 2e has gotten very expensive lately. I bought a Dancing Hut in shrink just last year for $30 and now they are selling for $150+. There are several 2e modules in the $150-200 range now.

That's something I was very happy to see also. I never played 2E, but thought it's been exciting to see that 2E has come into it's own.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:42 pm 

I think the answer is even easier: inflation.

The money supply has more than tripled over the last nine years, and much of this added liquidity is going into assets. The DOW has literally tripled over this time - sure, companies are increasingly using inputs at their lowest cost (tech, globalization, all that stuff), but profits have not tripled over this period. Not anywhere close. Home values - same thing. Rents have not increased at nearly the pace of the value of the home. In fact, even homes you can't run cash positive are appreciating. Why? Home prices should be falling. In some parts of the country, and in other countries, you're earning more money by home appreciation than you are in your job. You used have to work an extra job or extra hours to afford a house. Now, it's the other way around- to make some money, quit your job and buy a home and live off the appreciation. Backwards economy, and that inflation also translates into this hobby.

Last edited by Sea-to-sky-games on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:07 pm 

Inflation and all is a part of it.  I joined this site in 2012.  At that time for certain collectibles I paid what I thought was a high amount only to find out people considered it an exorbitant amount... back then.  Now what I paid for high end collectibles is considered cheap.  I wonder if some this comes from the late 1990's to early 2000's idea and the start of eBay in which "Whoa, this stuff might be worth money!" and the first wave of unloading pricey items and the sellers and buyers both thinking they got a good deal.  As time went on and auctioning on behalf of earlier gaming luminaries estates/collections released more then the price went up.  Now with things being in the very public spectrum more collectors are in the market whereas it used to be a niche thing.

I have gotten lucky with some lots and auctions over the past six to seven years but now just seeing later print books and supplies go for the prices they do, well, WOW.  Condition has a lot to do with it along with earlier printings.  I wish all the collectors good luck!  I would say focus on a certain area (for me was 1st print like new AD&D books) and stick with that.  It's still rewarding even if one can't "collect the whole gamut".  I'm happy to have what I have, and I grab a snack and watch the fireworks for the next high eBay finish for an item.  

Also, remember the members on this site.  I've been able to trade/buy from longtime members here and have nothing but good things to say about them all.  It's truly a great community here at the Acaeum.  Lastly, be patient.  Sometimes I had to wait close to five years to get the book I wanted in the condition I wanted, the printing I wanted at the price I wanted.  Don't expect to fill your wishlist in two weeks.

Just my two electrum pieces (was copper but I adjusted for inflation based on my moderate ego! :lol:)  Kidding obviously!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:56 pm 

If you follow Critical Roll, you'll notice that for their 2nd campaign, they changed their Opener to a riff on 80's tabletop. To me, they are tapping into the same sentiment as Stranger Things. CR has a massive fan base, so yes I can see these influencing each other and popularizing the game overall and raising awareness of the older editions.

Next