What is your favorite AD&D campaign setting?
Poll: What is your favorite AD&D campaign setting?

Greyhawk 60%       60%  [ 25 ]
Forgotten Realms / Al-Qadim / Kara-Tur 14%       14%  [ 6 ]
Dragonlance 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Spelljammer 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Ravenloft 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Dark Sun 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Planescape 7%       7%  [ 3 ]
Birthright 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Mystara / Red Steel 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
Lankhmar or Other (which?) 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 42

Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:59 pm 

dathon wrote:One thing I'll say for Planescape is that the CRPG based on the world, Torment, is probably the best I've ever played and the only one that I played to the end keeping my interest the entire way. I'm convinced that 50 years from now it will be looked back upon as a classic of early interactive digital fiction as it is extremely well-written and fun.

I actually prefered BG1/BG2 to Torment. I don't know, I bought Torment and just could not get into it. It just seemed too slow to me. I am planning on giving it another shot when I get the time in the near future because it seems most people here have a pretty high opinion of it, but thats what I originally thought of it

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:43 am 

BG1/BG2 and Torment are all great games, indeed. I was afraid to play Torment, initially, but then was relieved and so very happy that they got everything right. I felt it was a wonderful translation of a setting into a video game. The character depth was great. I hope you like it better on your second try, bclarkie. :}

I got a great deal of enjoyment out of the Baldur's Gate games, too. Though... I did have one complaint. BG2: So the guys get all of these sexy love interests, right? Aerie, Jaheira, Viconia... what do us girls get? Anomen. Woo. Hoo. I think I heard somewhere they were going to make another option with Haer'Dalis, but either ran out of time or scrapped it for one reason or another.  I mean, Anomen was all right, but wherein lies the re-play value to try another loooove storyline? Blah!! ;) Aside from that, I liked the added NPC interaction.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:28 pm 

I've always loved the Forgotten Realms best of all. But I'm talking 1E FR, with the original gray boxed set and the cool parchment style paper. The FR had some great 2E stuff as well, but shortly after it became 2E, it went to hell overall.

Planescape I like for background info on the planes, but I also hate the silly lingo, the setting, etc. The art's ok in some cases, too weird in others.

Spelljammer I absolutely loathe.  :evil:

Greyhawk, I like, but have never played a long-term campaign there.

Dragonlance is too much a railroaded soap opera for my tastes.

Visit the Back In Print website...where OOP is Back In Print!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:50 am 

There seems to be a few missing...

There's the SMURF's for starters.....
GAR1 Gargamels Return Harcover Resource expansion...
RA&A2--Ragedy-Ann & Andy "Threads of planar fate"
And lets not forget the Epic Story Setting of "Strawberry Shortcake Campaign series" that was immediately banned in 27 countries for being obscene, violent, barbaric, and had suspected refrences to the occult and Satan himself.

This was requested by an anonymous Aceum member.

(Damn.....they let anybody join dont they?)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:03 am 

Wow, 34 votes counted, and not one for Dragonlance. I mean, not that I expected DL to be the leader or anything, but still ... it's pretty grim to be one vote behind "other." :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:43 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Wow, 34 votes counted, and not one for Dragonlance. I mean, not that I expected DL to be the leader or anything, but still ... it's pretty grim to be one vote behind "other." :)

LOL, that's kind of telling, isn't it Xaxaxe :D  Although, FWIW, I definitely think of the other category as "Lankhmar" myself, which means it should be beating DL and SJ by quite a wider margin than it is....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Previous