What is your favorite AD&D campaign setting?
Poll: What is your favorite AD&D campaign setting?

Greyhawk 60%       60%  [ 25 ]
Forgotten Realms / Al-Qadim / Kara-Tur 14%       14%  [ 6 ]
Dragonlance 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Spelljammer 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Ravenloft 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Dark Sun 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Planescape 7%       7%  [ 3 ]
Birthright 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Mystara / Red Steel 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
Lankhmar or Other (which?) 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 42

Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:22 am 

Supporting Paul's question on AD&D campaign settings.

BTW, sorry, but I could enter only ten poll options.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:40 am 

ravenloft, then greyhawk for me.

pity you cant share the vote between options :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:11 am 

JG Wilderlands - infinate flexibility and well detailed.
I have DM'd, Planescape and Greyhawk (T1-4) and played in generic non-specific campaigns (Irillian etc.)
I always go back to the Wilderlands.

Did like the Weis & Hickman novels but couldn't imagine wanting to campaign in that setting.
Never tried Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, Birthright or Mystra (they never appealled to me).
I've been intrigued at the Darksun setting, and maybe Hollow World, but I've never played them.

Has anyone everr played Spelljamber? Why? I just don't get it.

Oh, and as for Al-Qadim (arab bashing), maybe WoTC should be pushing that one :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:54 am 

well funny what you just said there about spelljammer ian, cos the party i am DMing...they are just finishing B2 then i got a few things up for them, then eventually am going to run S3 (another of my faves), which i am THEN going to lead into a spelljammer adventure just for the fun of it, cos i wanna give it a go to see what it pans out like.

:)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:02 am 

Hi Alan,

I followed that all the way up to the '...then going to lead into a Spelljammer adventure...'  8O  
You also seem to have used the word 'fun'.  8O  

Are you MAD? :?: :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:21 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Hi Alan,

I followed that all the way up to the '...then going to lead into a Spelljammer adventure...' 8O
You also seem to have used the word 'fun'. 8O

Are you MAD? :?: :D

well ian :) each to their own i say... i am very open minded with my games and like to throw in things that are unusual n stuff so :)

i did an adventure once ages ago, kinda loosely based on an old larry niven novel called "dream park"...dunno if anyone has read it. i used the idea of the adventure in it, not the book.

the party ended up having old winchester rifles and sticks of dynamite n things like that - was a right ol laugh in the end and everyone enjoyed it - bar for the character who had her arm blown off, but hey there ya go cant please everyone :) (oh and the other character who was partially eaten alive by cannibals and was resurrected as a mongrel dog called "mutt" - i figured there was a chance of life still as there was some of the body left and some vital organs too.)

never a dull moment :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:38 am 

I guess we can all use a laugh when playing D&D. . .

Now, before I tell this, you must remember, that I started playing D&D when I was 9 years old.  Sometime over the next few years (let's say I was around 11), my friend Greg decided to tease me a little bit because I liked to. . . um. . . I liked to . . . watch. . .

. . . the. . . ummm. . .

the Smurfs. . .  :oops:

Actually, I would watch it everyday after school (and on Saturday mornings).  So he made a little adventure where some of my characters found themselves "shrunk" down to miniature size and in the land of the Smurfs.  It was actually quite fun. . . Big Mouth was an Ogre and, of course, Gargamel the evil Wizard we had to overcome.  

Greg also made the Smurfs into quite interesting NPC's.  If you think about it, the Smurfs really do adapt well to D&D - Papa Smurf is a Magic-User as is Brainy.  Hefty is a Fighter, Tracker is a Ranger, Poet is a Bard, Jokey is a Thief and Smurfette the perennial "damsel in distress".

So, there you go. . . one more skeleton from my closet of "not so proud" D&D moments.  

(But, it was still fun!)   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:08 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:I guess we can all use a laugh when playing D&D. . .

Now, before I tell this, you must remember, that I started playing D&D when I was 9 years old. Sometime over the next few years (let's say I was around 11), my friend Greg decided to tease me a little bit because I liked to. . . um. . . I liked to . . . watch. . .

. . . the. . . ummm. . .

the Smurfs. . . :oops:

Actually, I would watch it everyday after school (and on Saturday mornings). So he made a little adventure where some of my characters found themselves "shrunk" down to miniature size and in the land of the Smurfs. It was actually quite fun. . . Big Mouth was an Ogre and, of course, Gargamel the evil Wizard we had to overcome.

Greg also made the Smurfs into quite interesting NPC's. If you think about it, the Smurfs really do adapt well to D&D - Papa Smurf is a Magic-User as is Brainy. Hefty is a Fighter, Tracker is a Ranger, Poet is a Bard, Jokey is a Thief and Smurfette the perennial "damsel in distress".

So, there you go. . . one more skeleton from my closet of "not so proud" D&D moments.

(But, it was still fun!) 8)

Well, I can say that I never played a D & D setting based on it, but I loved the Smurfs :D . As a matter of fact if they came out with a Smurfs DVD set, I would probably buy it just for nostalgia purposes. Favorite episode Probably had to the one with the purple smurf. Gnnnnap!

Back on topic though my favorite settings would have to be Greyhawk followed closely by Forgotten Realms.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:09 am 

Little off topic, but does anyone remember when they started calling it "Mystara"?  I distinctly remember it having either no name, or a really lame one such as "the Known World"... in any case, if I ever start playing again, that Bargle chap is goin' down.  8)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:12 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Little off topic, but does anyone remember when they started calling it "Mystara"? I distinctly remember it having either no name, or a really lame one such as "the Known World"... in any case, if I ever start playing again, that Bargle chap is goin' down. 8)

I lost interest when they released 2nd Edition. That sort of arked the fall of TSR for me.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:45 am 

I voted GH.

I would have checked Al Qadim, but only if it were not connected to FR.
Best campaign world ever. I started my collection from the Complete Necromancer Guide to Al Qadim. The production quality is gorgeous, the campaign concept and detail is great (Kuntz and Baur are my favorite 2e authors.)

Greyhawk of course is also great. While i like 3E for manya things, and there is good GH material being put out still, I think overall 3E takes away from teh grim n gritty feel of Gygax GH. Too much video game imagery and rules IMO...

I always liked Ravenloft too and i think this setting is getting better with 3E.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:48 am 

Greyhawk Rules!!  My first campaign and I still play it today many years later.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:01 pm 

Red Steel....heehee.  Sounds like a Native American cyborg's nickname.  I am 1/16th Cherokee so I can say that and not get in trouble.   :lol:

Greyhawk is the greatest and I also like Forgotten Realms.  I have mixed feelings about Planescape though.  I was glad they finally expanded Manual of the Planes but what I didnt like was the way they kind of ripped off the jargon from Shadowrun.  Seemed very similar to me.  Maybe it is just the conspiracy theorist in me.

BTW, did anyone actually buy Red Steel or the Thunder Rift stuff when it was released?  I remember seeing it on the shelves and not giving it a second glance.  Same with Spelljammer.  I knew a couple of people who played it and loved it.  I just couldn't get past the whole "Orcs In Space" thing.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:36 pm 

Spelljammer bites, come on space and magic work but spelljammer just didn't seem to work!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:37 pm 

Well, at the time of writing GH is overwhemingly the favorite, which isn't surprising, but I'm a little surprised to see Planescape as a distant 2nd.  Maybe I judged it too harshly and will have to check it out...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:14 pm 

Greyhawk, of course.

I was really turned off by PS:  the cant, the artwork, the modrons, blech.  I do own Dead Gods (because of the Vault of the Drow chapter in it), but otherwise I'm not a PS fan at all.  

In many ways, it seems like the PS setting presaged the production values of 3.x D&D, in particular the artwork and NPCs' look/feel/style.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:57 pm 

grodog wrote:Greyhawk, of course.

I was really turned off by PS: the cant, the artwork, the modrons, blech. I do own Dead Gods (because of the Vault of the Drow chapter in it), but otherwise I'm not a PS fan at all.

In many ways, it seems like the PS setting presaged the production values of 3.x D&D, in particular the artwork and NPCs' look/feel/style.

What Grodog said!   :D
I've also thought that PS presaged the 3rd Edition look.  
Since GH is the overwhelming favorite, perhaps we should do a poll for second favorite.  That might be more challenging with perhaps surprising results... hmm... Dark Sun or Al-Qadim?  hmm....

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:27 pm 

I always found Planescape to be wonderfully fun because it's something entirely, imaginatively different. The level of detail in the setting is wonderful and the possibilities are so boundless, there can be some really incredible campaigns.

I've always been one to enjoy playing more than DM'ing, and to say that I want to DM Planescape is quite a feat. I've run the same campaign for over 4 years and it's still so fresh, with so many things yet to be explored. Now, I've played in a PS campaign that was run very poorly and the concept was completely ruined. In the wrong hands, it could easily be turned into a power trip for twinks, which is sad. But, as with anything. (Though saying it was a step toward 3rd edition is a low blow. ;P)

It always seemed to me to be more about the roleplay than the combat, more about discovery and humorous quirks, theology and exploring unexplained mysteries than about storming the castle, slaying the dragon, freeing the drow slaves or getting your brain eaten by an illithid. :} (not that all of that isn't fun, too, and certainly not to imply that the other campaigns are mindless, but hopefully you know what I mean :P) Besides. Don't flog me, but I've never tried Greyhawk. *flee*

(Guess it's obvious which I voted for ;})

Next