50 Years of Gen Con Events - best50yearsingaming.com
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:48 pm 

The Gen Con 50 years of event history project is done and up!  (well technically we had a loading problem with 1998 that will be fixed by tomorrow morning, but you can see it now).

I am very glad we were able to put this together and now have a great data set to work with on this stuff.  I'll just paste the blurb I sent out below as well as our about page.

"The Temple University Digital Scholarship Center is happy to announce that the online database of events for all 50 years of the Gen Con gaming convention is now live!  You can access the site at http://best50yearsingaming.com/.  On this site you can explore the events of Gen Con's present and past, take a historical tour of the locations that have held Gen Con, listen to or read interviews with Gen Con attendees, and learn about the types of research that is conducted using this event information.  Be sure to catch Matt Shoemaker's presentation on this project and Gen Con's event history during his retrospective panel."

About

Welcome to the Best 50 Years in Gaming! This project aims to explore the evolution of gaming and popular culture by examining the history of scheduled events at the Gen Con gaming convention. Gen Con officially began in 1968 and provides a rich sample of gaming events through its physical and digital programs. By taking the event data from fifty years of programs and putting it into an easily accessible and standardized digital form we vastly increase the usefulness of the data to scholars, enthusiasts, and anyone interested in Gen Con's past.
We at Temple University's Digital Scholarship Center aim to use the data in statistical and textual analysis to learn about changes in gaming and popular culture over time as reflected by Gen Con. We encourage others to do the same, as well as to simply explore the Gen Con event dataset for any research, historical, or nostalgic purposes. You can access an online version of the data set (hosted via Blacklight) here, and you can download your own CSV copy of the dataset here.
We have created a companion site for this project In addition to the data set. This site, hosted on the Omeka platform, aims to provide some historical background on Gen Con as well as showcase findings from work with the dataset. If you have any questions about the history of Gen Con or other information you would like to see beyond our timeline of the event and oral histories please let us know at [email protected] or tweet us @templedsc.

This project is ongoing, with the initial work to digitize and organize the data taking place during 2016-2017. Normalization of the data (doing things like making sure machines understand that "D&D 2nd ed" and "Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition" are really the same thing) is ongoing as of summer of 2017. Analysis and use of the data by Digital Scholarship Center staff, as well as public release of the data set, began in July of 2017.

A special thanks goes to Peter Adkison, Mike Carr, Scott Griffin, Allan Grohe, Jon Peterson and Randall Porter for providing physical and digital copies of several of the programs for our use in this project. Additionally, we would like to thank Gen Con, LLC., without which this project could not have occurred. Staff at the Digital Scholarship Center who worked on this project are:

Program digitization and data clean-up:
Jillian Benedict, Luling Huang, Kaelin Jewell, Emily Logan, Ritomaitree Sarkar, Gary Scales, Matt Shoemaker, Crystal Tatis

Blacklight and Omeka systems work:
Chad Nelson, Steven Ng

Web design:
Rachel Cox, Chris Doyle, Matt Shoemaker

Omeka exhibitions:
Matt Shoemaker

Principal Investigator:
Matt Shoemaker

About the Dataset
The dataset was created from the event sections of the physical and digital versions of official Gen Con programs, pre-registration programs, The Spartan zine and the International Federation of Wargaming Monthly zine. Years 2003-2017 were all pulled (with permission) from gencon.com where snapshots of the event database were hosted. Data from 2002 and earlier is from physical programs that were scanned and had their data entered into our database by hand or were OCRed with ABBY Fine Reader software, with the resulting text cleaned by DSC staff.

We have made minimal changes to the data and other than normalization do not plan to further manipulate information from the programs. We conducted minimal correction from OCR, fixing obvious mistakes when found but in general the scan quality was high enough (400dpi) that OCR errors were minimal. There are exceptions for some years that have information in or near the gutter of their physical counterparts. Additionally, virtually every year has events that run multiple times. Some programs listed these events under the same entry and others spread them out based on when they were running. We neither separated these entries out nor did we collapse them, but left them as they were presented in each particular program. This is important as it may skew some text analysis you perform with the data set.
A small number of programs had their digital counterparts created from pre-registration booklets rather than the official program guide. This was done either because the official program book was not available for digitization, or, in one case, the official program had SOLD OUT printed over so many events it made the majority of the event section impossible to read.

The year 1973 is omitted from this dataset because we could not locate a copy of event information from that year. If one exists and we can get a copy of it then we will add that event data to the dataset and update this section. We are actively seeking any event information from that year. If you have a program please contact us at [email protected] so we can add 1973 data to our database.

As of July 2017, the process of data normalization is ongoing. Normalization is the process of clarifying what information in specific fields means. For example, programs from 1990 may have games listed under the system "D&D Advanced", while in programs from 2000 the same system may be listed as "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1st edition." This information must be normalized to reduce confusion, particularly for machine analysis of the information. When this process is complete this section will be updated.
Gen Con® mark is a registered trademark of Gen Con LLC, used by permission. Images, artwork, and events listings Copyright © Gen Con LLC. All rights reserved.

Last edited by nesbit37 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:50 pm 

Note that the normalization of game systems is not done, and I will probably post a list up here for input from those interested as to what those game titles should be normalized to.  Other than that data cleanup is pretty much complete.  I'm sure there are a few hiccups we will come across as more people get into the data.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:56 pm 

Hurrah! Thank you for your efforts, nesbit. Looking at it right now.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 pm 

Is there a way to search by Game Master name?

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 pm 

For now you can just put in in the all fields search and it should come up.  You could also download the spreadsheets and do it that way if you were so inclined.  I plan to see if we can add more field specific searches but for the moment its title or everything.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:38 pm 

When I put "Holmes" in the All Fields search, I get lots of hits for Sherlock Holmes, but none for J. Eric Holmes. There are several for him listed in the database under "Game Master Name" field search (I double checked they are in there by going through the years 1978, 1979, etc).

Similarly, seaching for "Moldvay" does get any hits for the games he ran, for example "Giants in the Earth" in 1981. I don't think the "All Fields" seach is searching the "Game Master Name".

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 pm 

I'll check into it tomorrow.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:25 am 

Looks very cool, glad I could help out!  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:32 am 

Zenopus wrote in 50 Years of Gen Con Events - best50yearsingaming.com:When I put "Holmes" in the All Fields search, I get lots of hits for Sherlock Holmes, but none for J. Eric Holmes. There are several for him listed in the database under "Game Master Name" field search (I double checked they are in there by going through the years 1978, 1979, etc).

Similarly, seaching for "Moldvay" does get any hits for the games he ran, for example "Giants in the Earth" in 1981. I don't think the "All Fields" seach is searching the "Game Master Name".

FYI, we identified whats going on.  Its just a miscommunication between me and the systems team related to indexing.  Will post again to let you know when it's fixed.

muaddib5 wrote in 50 Years of Gen Con Events - best50yearsingaming.com:Looks very cool, glad I could help out!  :)

Thanks Scott!  Glad you were able to help, we couldn't have gotten all of the programs we did without you!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 am 

nesbit37 wrote in 50 Years of Gen Con Events - best50yearsingaming.com:The Gen Con 50 years of event history project is done and up!

So...Much...AWESOME!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:46 pm 

nesbit37 wrote in 50 Years of Gen Con Events - best50yearsingaming.com:FYI, we identified whats going on.  Its just a miscommunication between me and the systems team related to indexing.  Will post again to let you know when it's fixed.

Thanks. It's working now. A search for Eric Holmes brings up 7 events. One 1981 appears split across two entries. I believe this is because it is two different columns in the program guide on page 25 (I have a paper copy).

The first half is one entry
Terror Comes to Dry Gulch
Title: Terror Comes to Dry Gulch
Year: 1981
Original Order: 108
Game: 1981-1088
Long Description: Dry Gulch, Arizona, is a rich silver-mining town, but it is more dangerous by far than your average BOOT HILL community. Find out
Event Type: Role Playing

The second half is this entry:
why, if you dare!
Title: why, if you dare!
Original Order: 1981-103
Long Description:
Maximum Players: 8

These should be merged together, something like:
Terror Comes to Dry Gulch
Title: Terror Comes to Dry Gulch
Original Order: 108
Game: 1981-1088
Long Description: Dry Gulch, Arizona, is a rich silver-mining town, but it is more dangerous by far than your average BOOT HILL community. Find out why, if you dare!  Players will be assigned gun-slinging characters.
Maximum Players: 8
Duration: 4 Hours
Game Master Names: J. Eric Holmes and Chris Holmes

I note the 1981 entries are missing two bits of data found in the original entries: Starting time and Experience Level.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:08 am 

Thanks, Zenopus.  I'll fix it in the csv file though it will be a bit before it makes its way back into the online database.

The all fields search should indeed be searching all fields now.  There is some re-indexing still going on but that should be done shortly.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:30 am 

Next step is to normalize all the game systems.  A few of you mentioned interest in providing input for that, so below is a list of all the unique game names we have.  12,411 in total!  Obviously several of these are duplicates just spelled differently.  If you have opinions as to what the "official" designation should be for any of these such games please let me know.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ObnT3SR ... sp=sharing

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:34 pm 

nesbit37 wrote in 50 Years of Gen Con Events - best50yearsingaming.com:Next step is to normalize all the game systems.  A few of you mentioned interest in providing input for that, so below is a list of all the unique game names we have.  12,411 in total!  Obviously several of these are duplicates just spelled differently.  If you have opinions as to what the "official" designation should be for any of these such games please let me know.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ObnT3SR ... sp=sharing

I'll take a look later tonight, Matt.  

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:49 am 

Just a quick update that, thanks to Paul Stormberg, we now have the contents of a 1973 program.  All 50 years are accounted for!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:30 pm 

nesbit37 wrote in 50 Years of Gen Con Events - best50yearsingaming.com:Just a quick update that, thanks to Paul Stormberg, we now have the contents of a 1973 program.  All 50 years are accounted for!

Excellent news, Matt!  Is the .csv data file updated with the 1973 info yet? :D

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:56 pm 

Not yet, I'll try and do it today or tomorrow.  Will post again when its updated.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:57 am 

The zip file has been updated.  You can grab it at the below link, it has today's daye (09012017) in the title on that page.

Gen Con Event CSV Files · Best 50 Years in Gaming

Next