The BIG show of hands!
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Poll: Mike has asked if you would buy a copy of Planes of Existance if it were to be published?

You bet! I'd probably buy a box load. 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Yes. Put me down for a few. 23%       23%  [ 8 ]
I'll take one. 66%       66%  [ 23 ]
Naw. I'm not that bothered. I might buy a PDF for a few bucks. 6%       6%  [ 2 ]
No thanks. I'm not that interested. 6%       6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 35

Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6156
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:24 am 
 

Mike is trying to decide whether to proceed with publishing Planes of Existance. He's wondering if it would be really that financially viable. So let's see how many people would buy.

I know some of you have posted to say you would, but lets see if we can get a head count.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 278
Joined: Sep 07, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 20, 2019
Location: Well, you guess...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:51 am 
 

...how about a bit more info what it is supposed to be?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6156
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:20 am 
 

frankfromgermany wrote:...how about a bit more info what it is supposed to be?


I should really let Mike answer this. It is the product of many years of work in the '70s and early '80s on the part of Steve Marsh, with input from Gary Gygax. For whatever reason it never went to print, and was surplanted in AD&D with the woefully inept Manual of the Planes.

I look upon it as a possible alternative to Manual of the Planes, but then I haven't seen any of the source materials.

Mike would be the best person to fill us in on that.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:26 am 
 

well it sounds interesting so i would have one.



  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 905
Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 09, 2015
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:58 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:(...) and was surplanted in AD&D with the woefully inept Manual of the Planes.


What's wrong with the Manual of Planes? IMO, it is one of Grubb's most important releases, laying the foundation for 2nd Edition's Planescape setting. I think it's a great piece of work.

I'd buy a copy of the Planes of Existance anyway, be it good or bad material. I wouldn't use it for gaming though, I'd see it more as a historical reference.  It would be interesting to imagine, how it might have affected the D&D.


- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:15 am 
 

I agree with Ralf - Manual of the Planes is an excellent book.  I think it was the most interesting and useful hardcover AD&D book besides the original three (well, I used Unearthed Arcana a lot as well).

I've read and re-read it countless times.  At the time it really brought a sense of the Inner & Outer Planes to the game as well as providing plently of campaign ideas and practical ways to approach incorporating other planes into the AD&D world.   Obviously, it is "scarce" on extended detail for the planes - it took the entire Planescape line to begin to tackle the daunting prospect of Outer/Inner planes.

Sure, who wouldn't buy a hardcover - assuming cover price isn't $49.99 ?


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:34 am 
 

Ralf Toth wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:(...) and was surplanted in AD&D with the woefully inept Manual of the Planes.


What's wrong with the Manual of Planes? IMO, it is one of Grubb's most important releases, laying the foundation for 2nd Edition's Planescape setting. I think it's a great piece of work.

I'd buy a copy of the Planes of Existance anyway, be it good or bad material. I wouldn't use it for gaming though, I'd see it more as a historical reference. It would be interesting to imagine, how it might have affected the D&D.

Looks around for the infidel.  MoP is my bible, man.  :D  I already have an advanced degree in extraplanar mechanics, having designed my own game world, but I might buy a copy of this work just to support the cause.  And Planescape?  That never happened, just a high level illusionist hard at work.

 YIM  


Active Collector

Posts: 17
Joined: Feb 08, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 09, 2021
Location: Maine

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:55 am 
 

I'd pay a ridiculous amount even for PDF, so it'd be almost entirely profit from me at least. Thanks,

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3590
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 15, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:31 am 
 

I'd buy one, sounds cool!!


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2019

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:00 pm 
 

Help out the occasional Forum visitor... Mike who?

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 563
Joined: Aug 08, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 05, 2020
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:40 pm 
 

Mike who? Improvstone. He bought a large amount of of the Steve Marsh documents/manuscripts/correspondance, and is considering collating and publishing, if the demand is there.

And for the record, I'd buy a copy if it goes to print.

Regards

Mike (a different one)

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:25 pm 
 

I have noted this on an earlier thread, but I would definitely be interested in it no matter form that it was presented in.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 130
Joined: Oct 06, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 11, 2012
Location: Liestal, Switzerland

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:57 am 
 

This thing would be an instant buy if it would be a printed product.


Volunteering translator slave and PR pimp for the German speaking part ofOld Europe (tm)
http://www.pied-piper-publishing.com/

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 851
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 29, 2020

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:01 pm 
 

Especially with print-on-demand publishing now with us.



  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:04 pm 
 

Traveller wrote:Especially with print-on-demand publishing now with us.

(aside from any discussions with Mike or wishing to impinge upon any plans he might have)

*nods*. Would've been my thoughts, were it not possible to finance the "big bang" option with a hardback and lots of expensive artwork in the first instance, were I faced with such a project and an understanding author.

Have helped out with various books in the past and gut feel might be to release a short series of inexpensive, "limited edition" p.o.d. paperbacks to at least get (some of the) material into the public domain, in the first instance; with a "special edition"/enhanced/whatever hardback to follow, should things work out.
(120 pages 9"x6" with glossy cover costs under $4 to print in pb format).

JM-01.5 cents-anyhow.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:16 am 
 

i think generally you would prb find that the majority of this forum would have at least 1...i know quite a few ppl who would have one too....so theres a nice lil base to start with....

a nice limited edition to test the water? if the feedback from it is good, then expand and do it bigger etc...

as harami says, pb seems the way to go really without expending too much too quickly.

i looked into all this stuff not so long ago, cos i am writing a book. as i am just doing it for myself and not for financial gain really, am having a limited run of copies for family and friends etc, so that the cost is minimal for me.

and lets be honest, it would be a damn shame for all that material to not be shared. at least then, you could recoup some of the cost of getting hold of the stuff in the first place?

Al



  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:41 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:i think generally you would prb find that the majority of this forum would have at least 1...i know quite a few ppl who would have one too....so theres a nice lil base to start with....

a nice limited edition to test the water? if the feedback from it is good, then expand and do it bigger etc...

as harami says, pb seems the way to go really without expending too much too quickly.

i looked into all this stuff not so long ago, cos i am writing a book. as i am just doing it for myself and not for financial gain really, am having a limited run of copies for family and friends etc, so that the cost is minimal for me.

and lets be honest, it would be a damn shame for all that material to not be shared. at least then, you could recoup some of the cost of getting hold of the stuff in the first place?

Al

I just hope whoever is publishing this treats it with a little thought with respect to when it should have been published, and doesn't make it look like a glossy d20 book.  No spandex please.

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:58 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:I just hope whoever is publishing this treats it with a little thought with respect to when it should have been published, and doesn't make it look like a glossy d20 book. No spandex please.


yeah i agree...i dont like them new d20 shiny things.



  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1