Boxed Sets Not Listed
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:18 pm 

Why does this site not list all the various box sets that TSR produced. For example, From The Ashes, The North, any Planscape set, etc?

It would be nice to get some prices for these items. We have all the modules and rules books and sets. Why not the rest?

I'm not criticizing, I'm just wondering.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:29 pm 

Becuase we don't cover items produced after 1989.  All the boxed sets you mention were produced after that time.

There *are* a few items on the site that are from 1990 and later, but they're usually included simply to fill out a module sequence (the FR series, etc).  The vast majority of 2nd Edition items are not covered.

You can read more about this on the site FAQ: http://www.acaeum.com/FrontDesk/FAQ.html.

Foul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:14 pm 

plane scape the basic set goes for about 20-25 on ebay
planescape law, chaos etc go for a bit more like 25-30
from the ashes -iam biddingon now with 2+ days is at 23
i have i reference for the plain of law at 51 dollars
well of the world accessory at $5.00
plain scape box set $15
lot of plane scape-campain setting, dead gods, guide toetheral plane,well of worlds monster compendium, guide to asral plane all these went for $92
hopefull this will give you some idea i do not know what else you have. will post more if you list more
hope this helps   jeff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:33 am 

oops screwed up... :oops:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:07 am 

Thanks for the info Foul.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:02 pm 

Any plans to extend the Acaeum to 2nd ed as well??

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:36 pm 

Not at this time.  I'm *trying* to get another update together, but it seems that every time I complete one "project", another opens up.  There's still tons more work to do on the stuff that's already on the site.

On the other hand, adding 2nd Ed material would not be overly difficult.  It just wouldn't be that useful.  Cover scans, a brief blurb of text describing the module/boxed set, and maybe an estimated value (which for most items would be cover price or less).  Certainly nothing terribly interesting such as different prints (other than the lame shifted-ISBN-placement type printings).

I was actually hoping someone would be willing to tackle 2nd Ed / 3rd Ed / d20 stuff in an Acaeum expansion -- i.e. the Acaeum Distributed Computing Project.  So far, though, no takers.

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:48 pm 

As far as the guide to second edition there is already one that explains what the items are fairly well. That being the TSR Archive. I hope it is not an issue mentioning another site like that here.

For pricing would it be possible to create a new Forum section and then perhaps have a message for each item and then as items sold on eBay members who cared to contibute could post a link to the listing and the price it sold for. If the TSR Archive site did not mind cross linking there could even be a link to the item as the first message.

Just an idea. I am hoping it would not be something that caused too much upkeep and limited the intial work. Any thoughts?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:01 pm 

Adrian Newman's TSR Archive site is an excellent resource, yes.  Another problem with expanding The Acaeum into 2nd Ed would be that we'd be practically duplicating what the TSR Archive already provides.

The forum idea is interesting -- though I don't know how well it would work in practical terms.  For common items, you would quickly get 15 or 20 responses (15 or 20 auctions), and then how interested would people be in continuing to respond to the messaage?  Ergo, it would become stale and outdated.

Also, people would tend to post auctions that had unusual closing prices, thus possibly giving a wrong impression on an item's value.  No one would be interested in posting the auction of a B2 that sold for $5, but if one sells for $40, it would certainly be included.

Foul