Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 52 of 111123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:33 pm 

harami2000 wrote: Took me several days to get the seller to detail those books which were affected by foxing and mention the printing issue. He just didn't want to believe me...

Yea, I also noted his irritation with you in his last response. :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:41 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
harami2000 wrote: Took me several days to get the seller to detail those books which were affected by foxing and mention the printing issue. He just didn't want to believe me...

Yea, I also noted his irritation with you in his last response. :twisted:

*chuckles*. D'ya mean the capitalisation in "Thank YOU for the Clarification!"...? :P
Was surprised he chose to answer that particular set of questions rather than the one which had a few more positive strokes.

(He's the seller who was trying to get me to help run his sales pitch by only wanting to respond to positive queries via the item listing after his initial responses ;)).

Wasn't too impressed by the lack of response to msgs that selling "as is" gave him no protection should the OD&D box set be misdescribed; as it was, of course.
Not the most responsible attitude, but somewhat understandable, phps.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:09 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:For which I am now assuming is your question, and thought the Hobbits and Ents were removed after 4th print. :roll: Rerefrencing, I realize now that they were not removed until the 6th printing. :? Too many beers & too much EBay, I think I am losing it..........

No probs. Easy to misplace those sneaky hobbits after too many beers.

=

Am still waiting for someone to admit to owning a 4th print, as described on Page Not Found

Is entirely possible that I've missed one because I was stocking up on 4th-s and missing out of 5ths when the prices were about the same, but would still like to know the 4th print really does exist and obtain one or more for research purposes.

*waves $100 bills* (well, singular perhaps ;))

Funny you should mention that.  I'm beginnning to wonder if one exists as well, it would be very useful at the moment.   :wink:

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:46 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Is entirely possible that I've missed one because I was stocking up on 4th-s and missing out of 5ths when the prices were about the same, but would still like to know the 4th print really does exist and obtain one or more for research purposes.

Funny you should mention that. I'm beginnning to wonder if one exists as well, it would be very useful at the moment. :wink:

Hey, stop teasing the board with your mystery printing!! :P :D

I'm still in favor of "early/test print 5th".
Per above, there was quite extensive resetting of the contents for the 5th (which you're much closer to, than the 4th-), but (as discussed) your books also lack some printing flaws which are typical of the 5th and 6th prints! 8)

Catch ya on PM again, later! ;)
(Well, mebbe tonight... *looks at clock... hrmm*).

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:57 pm 

harami2000 wrote: Am still waiting for someone to admit to owning a 4th print, as described on Page Not Found
Is entirely possible that I've missed one because I was stocking up on 4th-s and missing out of 5ths when the prices were about the same, but would still like to know the 4th print really does exist and obtain one or more for research purposes.

Perhaps you should PM BadMike while waiving that bill (More likely those bills?).

Its been a week now since Mike first obtained my collection, and even longer since I last read any of the White Box Set books in any detail, and so I am not certain of this, but I do believe that one of the White Box Sets was a Fourth print....  I am also fairly sure that at least one of the sets (Or possibly the set of books and ref sheets only) in my collection was a Fourth Minus White Box Set. I wrote a description of that Box Set using the books in front of me and the Acaeum's statements as a guide. I sent the list (Along with other lists) to Mike by E-Mail the night before he came over and 'collected my collection....'
I could be mistaken regarding one of the two.  :?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:27 pm 

1st D&DG signed by both Ward and Kuntz, at $50 at present:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:56 pm 

harami2000 wrote: The 4th- has a 1975 copyright line on the title page of "Men & Magic"- not 1974 per The Acaeum listing- in addition to the "Fourth Print - November 1975" line inside the cover.

The 5th print has major resetting work including returning the copyright date to 1974 in that volume (unless there was actually a 4th print during which this was done).

Okay, guys, help me out here.  Would this be a 4th-minus or 4th?

ImageImageImage

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:17 pm 

Stephen, mail it to me and I will figure it out. :twisted: [j/k]

Actually, based on the fact that the price of $3.50 is still on the booklet I would assume that it is a Fourth Minus. Another key thing that you can check is check the font. As per the site:
Fourth Minus:
Internal typeface is still rather rough and difficult to read

and

Fourth:
Internal typeface has been changed to a much-easier-to-read font

If you have a latter printing (5th/6th) also, compare fonts and that should help confirm it as a Fourth Minus. If not let me know, and I will post a high res pic of my 6th print M&M so you can compare. One last thing to look for in the Fourth Minus, that is not in the Fourth is:
Rear inside cover identifies the printer: Patch Press of Beloit, Wisconsin. Also, a "TSR Hobbies, Inc" sticker covers the printed "Tactical Studies Rules"

With what you have already provided though especially the pic of the outside cover of the M&M(which looks identical to the 3rd+/4th- on the site), and unless you have some other wacky, off the wall hybrid, I would say pretty confidently that it is a Fourth Minus. If this needs to proceed further though, we should probably move it to the collecting appraisal thread.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:24 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
harami2000 wrote: Am still waiting for someone to admit to owning a 4th print, as described on Page Not Found

Perhaps you should PM BadMike while waiving that bill (More likely those bills?).

Its been a week now since Mike first obtained my collection, and even longer since I last read any of the White Box Set books in any detail, and so I am not certain of this, but I do believe that one of the White Box Sets was a Fourth print.... I am also fairly sure that at least one of the sets (Or possibly the set of books and ref sheets only) in my collection was a Fourth Minus White Box Set. I wrote a description of that Box Set using the books in front of me and the Acaeum's statements as a guide. I sent the list (Along with other lists) to Mike by E-Mail the night before he came over and 'collected my collection....'
I could be mistaken regarding one of the two. :?

You are right Aneoth, this 4th print you sold me is a 4th-.  Thanks for expertly annotating all the box sets I got from you, saved me a day of work at least!!!  :D
  So, anyone want to wave some $100 bills this way or do I have to resort to Ebay?  :twisted:
  The box isn't in good shape, the corners are split and someone has used clear tape on the lid to hold it together. The box also looks like something heavy was sat on it and it was crunched at one time. the books are present (three rulebooks and reference sheets), the books are all used with spine wear and very slight staple rust.  The Men & Magic book has red underlining (actually, it's very straight, must have used a ruler) on several passages, I also found several underlined sections in the Underworld & Wilderness Adventures book along with writing in pencil.
  All in all, I'd say the set is below average condition, perhaps a Good Minus.  But as a research tool, it's invaluable (right?). In all ways this set conforms to the specifics of the "4th print minus" details as they are on the Acaeum website.  
   Sorry to clog up this board with so much detail, I know this isn't the OCE 4th print board, maybe this should start a new discussion/board...

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:50 pm 

Thanks for the tip Morgansurname.

Nobody else wants silver dice?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:32 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Rear inside cover identifies the printer: Patch Press of Beloit, Wisconsin. Also, a "TSR Hobbies, Inc" sticker covers the printed "Tactical Studies Rules"

Thanks, Clarkie.  I does say that in all of the booklets, and the sticker is there.

I've got another one that I think matches the 4th printing description.  I'll dig it out and post a couple of scans in the Appraisal thread.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:26 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:

Thanks for the tip Morgansurname.

Nobody else wants silver dice?
np

Would be perfect for a Werewolf GM!!!  8O

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:35 pm 

bclarkie wrote:If this needs to proceed further though, we should probably move it to the collecting appraisal thread.

Possibly drop the relevant posts onto the "OCE question" thread and retitle that "OD&D set questions" or something along that line??
New print(s) of the OCE set?
Is where I'll be responding on <deimos>'s set, anyhow, once have finished brainstorming. (Slow here...).

bclarkie wrote:Stephen, mail it to me and I will figure it out. :twisted: [j/k]

Actually, based on the fact that the price of $3.50 is still on the booklet I would assume that it is a Fourth Minus. Another key thing that you can check is check the font. As per the site:
Fourth Minus:
Internal typeface is still rather rough and difficult to read

and
Fourth:
Internal typeface has been changed to a much-easier-to-read font

Agreed, but "difficult to read" is relative, and if you don't have both prints on hand...
The reworked map on page 4 of U&WA is a better "marker", avoiding any issues with the covers: 5th print onwards (or possibly 4th, if it exists) having black background and typeset "SAMPLE LEVEL:" label.
And the 1975 copyright line on Men & Magic reverting to 1974 for (4th?)/5th/6th print.

bclarkie wrote:One last thing to look for in the Fourth Minus, that is not in the Fourth is:

Not always so.

Early 4th- sets don't have the label, per my post last year:
Post research tidbits here • Page 3 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum
("early set" appears to make sense in the context of the "Dungeons & Dragons" on the front of the white box being a relatively fine print compared with the later ones; especially noticable by the 5th print. From what I can see, Stephen's gorgeous set (and some of my others) are "intermediate" in this regard.

bclarkie wrote:With what you have already provided though especially the pic of the outside cover of the M&M(which looks identical to the 3rd+/4th- on the site), and unless you have some other wacky, off the wall hybrid, I would say pretty confidently that it is a Fourth Minus. If this needs to proceed further though, we should probably move it to the collecting appraisal thread.

Can someone please finally get the label of "hybrid" removed from the 4th- set, at the same time. Have been campaigning on this for far too long... ;)
On a rarity basis, if anything, the "4th" listed appears to be the hybrid; i.e. possibly 4th- contents with a 5th cover. (Would like to know whether that label is present on the back page... just because it's not mentioned, doesn't mean it isn't).
Still presuming anyone has a "4th" print, of course! :?

=
(As to the 4th- being "worth" $100 bills (plural); well, there was that nice set up a month or so back which totally flopped for the sake of a little tape on an otherwise fine box... Going rate was $70-100 when I was picking them up, IIRC).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:19 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:wow thats a damn nice box set isnt it? how much more do you think it will go up to?

4th print box set in that good of condition plus the 2nd edition Chainmail is pretty damn good condition too, consevatively I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it goes $500+.

Heh. Still don't think that's particularly "conservative", but is already there with five hours to go.
Looks like there may be two or three snipes lining up to finish it off, too... :P

*sits back to enjoy*

p.s. Did anyone else here check to see whether it was an "early" or "late" 2nd edition?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:24 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*sits back to enjoy*

Thought y'all might like to know how "strong" <giorgiobarilli>'s three bids were:
eBay.com Item Bid History
$600, $700 and $???
(Hrmm... have seen their nick around before, so presume they know what a woodgrain box looks like ;)).

Just under 3 hours left.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:33 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:*sits back to enjoy*

Thought y'all might like to know how "strong" <giorgiobarilli>'s three bids were:
eBay.com Item Bid History
$600, $700 and $???
(Hrmm... have seen their nick around before, so presume they know what a woodgrain box looks like ;)).

Just under 3 hours left.

WOW!! 8O I didn't think it would go for that much. 8O  8O  8O
On a lighter note though, looks like giorgiobarilli knows our good friend jonb:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5182167485
:P

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:37 pm 

Erk.. Have I lost the plot here or is this already seriously over the norm for these items?

on: Page Not Found
a mint 2nd edition chainmail is ~$400, a mint 5th white box ~$185.
And presumably the "foxing" knocks it down at least one category?
(Am I right that foxing is sulphur oxidation rather than a mold that
eats the cellolose)?

anyway $700 seems excessive to me..  but will it go higher still!

mud2guard

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:45 pm 

mud2guard wrote:anyway $700 seems excessive to me.. but will it go higher still!

mud2guard

I agree that it is high, although the site is only a guide. :wink: Funniest part is, giorgiobarilli placed "ANOTHER" topping bid after David pushed it up. 8O I guess he is not happy with 2, he needs 3. :roll:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 52 of 111123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 109110111