Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 5 of 11112, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:25 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:
Had to flip back to find this post... now at $87.51 with 3 1/2 days left....I wonder if the new "True first DMG" is a factor there...that one's in better shape than either of mine.

New "True first DMG's" don't seem to be inspiring alot of bidding.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

I think that is one that everybody missed because it is listed in the wrong area.  That is why I missed it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:38 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:New "True first DMG's" don't seem to be inspiring alot of bidding. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Well, the item you linked to is subpar in any case. Read the condition statement and look at the picture.

"Good condition, with a clear plastic cover."

Looking closely at the picture, you can see the clear plastic is a bit squirrelly and bubbled up in the lower half of the front cover.

IMO: to place plastic covering on an item in this manner destroys its value as a collectable. Sure it protects items for long-term use, but doing so, also destroys any collectable qualities that it might have otherwise had.

I would not even bid on a copy with this type of defacing. And would only own one, if forced to do so due to it being a portion of a larger lot of items. Which has actually happened once.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:47 pm 

I took just a quick look and never noticed the clear plastic cover in the descrition, and I agree for the most part about the devaluation factor involved with that type of damage. Even still I think Mr. Huck got himself a pretty good deal for $1.68 plus shipping.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:50 pm 

Yes, I agree that he got a great buy. Especially should it turn out to be one of the TRUE First Prints or Alpha-Beta's, or even a first print as recently listed here.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:11 pm 

I agree about the plastic cover devaluing it.  Although it's still collectible for me until another one pops up (and probably more hotly contended now).

Hadn't even bothered looking for DMGs until today.  But I just thought I'd have a search as I thought I'd remembered harami2000 mentioning that there was a couple of copies listed when the new chronology was published.  Not sure if this was one of them.  But it only had 30 mins left to run when I did the search.  So, I thought it was worth putting in a snipe.  But didn't think I would win.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:56 pm 

Regarding plastic-coating books: I've never done it to a hardcover, but have done it to many of my books that have no value due to obscurity or condition.  If the plastic is contact paper, it can be removed, although you would be wise to invest in something that can remove the remaining adhesive without damaging the cover.

Now, if the plastic is self-stick laminating plastic, you're done.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:28 am 

harami2000 wrote:
*chuckles*. yer welcome!

Was a reasonable price for a decent-ish 5th print. (UK prices are generally higher for those (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5932283787 ), whereas in the US people seems to prefer OCEs, recently :lol:)

yeah i will go have a look at that program tonight. am not really that bothered about which prints they are n stuff, i just want 1 really nice set of them which are in the best condition i can get my hands on...THAT makes me happy :)

i need to hide ebay for a few weeks - cant afford to keep looking at it :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:45 pm 

nice SW mod going cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT
30 mins left

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:27 am 

Any idea as to why so much for recent Dragon or Dungeon magazines?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 46488&rd=1

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:18 am 

GDQ orig. painting with BIN only

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... eName=WDVW

Edit: I'd rather buy a new car though

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:21 am 

There is a Lost Tamoachan up:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 9&rd=1

Granted it has a $2000.00 opening bid  8O , but if someone looking to spend crazy money, then there it is.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:12 am 

bclarkie wrote:There is a Lost Tamoachan up:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 9&rd=1

Granted it has a $2000.00 opening bid 8O , but if someone looking to spend crazy money, then there it is.

Let me guess... Free listing day in the US?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:15 am 

According to the Acaeums lists the most ever paid for a Lost Tamoachan was for a Mint Staff copy of which there are only 30: M (Staff Copy): $1350 (8/02, GenCon auction).

At $2000 for the opening bid, he is being overly optimistic I think. :wink:

I don't think it will sell, but I have been surprised by E-Bay buyers before. We shall see. I wish him the best of luck in either case. I know I shall keep a watch, but I will not bid.... so you guys with the really deep pockets will not have to compete against me at least.

Of course, if the opening bid had been more realistic, well then all bets would be off and the bidding war would be on... :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:31 am 

Aneoth wrote:According to the Acaeums lists the most ever paid for a Lost Tamoachan was for a Mint Staff copy of which there are only 30: M (Staff Copy): $1350 (8/02, GenCon auction).

At $2000 for the opening bid, he is being overly optimistic I think. :wink:

I don't think it will sell, but I have been surprise by E-Bay buyers before. We shall see. I wish him the best of luck in either case. I know I shall keep a watch, but I will not bid.... so you guys with the really deep pockets will not have to compete against me at least.

Of course, if the opening bid had been more realistic, well then all bets would be off and the bidding war would be on... :)

Obviously very optimistic, and I believe it was "5 cent listing day" yesterday...of course if I had $2000 USD to burn, I'd be mine...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:01 am 

Shit, mine is pretty much mint and I would sell it for much less than that.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:09 am 

Interesting product from Dave Arneson:
cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 8&rd=1

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:38 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Interesting product from Dave Arneson:
cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 8&rd=1

good spot and a "nice to have", IMHO :)

"the inside is in mint condition". *blinks at that line*

Heh, heh... I remember the last one which Paul snipe-bid just to make sure it didn't go cheap. (Thanks). Was in better condition, though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5929977984

Checked up, since, and found out that it was printed by Heritage Models- can't find the original quote again now (probably in an old NFB), but was mentioned in the ironic context of TSR slapping bans on any "unofficial" product.
And certainly amusing, given what else Heritage was printing for TSR at the time ;)

(Kinda tallies with the comment in the Arneson interview in Pegasus #1, too;
judgesguild.net )

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:19 pm 

eBay listings

Have a ton of EX-NM forgotten realms modules ending in about an hour some are going very cheap.... some other nice stuff as well

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 5 of 11112, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 109110111