Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 10012, 3, 4, 5 ... 9899100
Author


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:18 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:ah i was off to bed - too tired & g/f was offering comfort in bed, so whaddaya do? (dont even answer) :D dont do sniping programs so in the end i thought fu*k it just did a bid and off i went, but thanks for letting my bid run :) *sitting quite happy n content now*

:)

*chuckles*. yer welcome!

Was a reasonable price for a decent-ish 5th print. (UK prices are generally higher for those (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5932283787 ), whereas in the US people seems to prefer OCEs, recently :lol:).

You could probably still have saved yourself a few dollars, though.
http://www.esnipe.com/ (free 14 day trial); or any of the others....
Mark in a lowball snipe at start of auction as a reminder to check later, then review your current "interesting items" list a day or two before auction end.
Is no real hassle and certainly saves more than the costs (especially for US sales and larger lots).

JMO, of course ;)

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:33 pm 
 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:
harami2000 wrote:The sleeper thus far appears to be;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5955061302
$35 with 2+ days to go
- Is there anything in there which isn't a first print??
Looks like a first Basic Set, and those D&DG, PHB, DMG and MM definitely require checking.
Heh, they've even thrown in a JG "Dark Tower"... (sells for silly money in the UK ;)
e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5951493093 ).


......

He sent this back after I hounded him,

"We will be prelisting the item today.

It's back...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5956395728

*lol*. Might even have been a genuine listing error, too! 8O
I stand corrected, if so (hey! there's a first time for everything on eBay...).

The gap in the sequence number in the previous auction has now been corrected:
10. Dungeon And Dragons-The Village of Hommlet
12. Dungeon And Dragons-Dark Tower
13. Dungeon And Dragons-Expediton to the Barrier Peaks

Enjoy; all you U.S. bidders (and Canucks disguised as such!)

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:43 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
It's back...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5956395728

*lol*. Might even have been a genuine listing error, too! 8O
I stand corrected, if so (hey! there's a first time for everything on eBay...).

The gap in the sequence number in the previous auction has now been corrected:
10. Dungeon And Dragons-The Village of Hommlet
12. Dungeon And Dragons-Dark Tower
13. Dungeon And Dragons-Expediton to the Barrier Peaks

Enjoy; all you U.S. bidders (and Canucks disguised as such!)


Response to my email from the seller:

We have had a huge response from overseas on these games and have told
everyone that we will accept bids from them. So feel free to bid on them, if
you win please contact us about shipping.

Thanks,

Steve

I-Soldit Tigard, Oregon
(503) 624-9890


So get bidding/sniping David!

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:44 pm 
 

Maybe I should have posted that after I'd won the auction! 8O

And don't forget that they have some other auctions finishing very soon if you international bidders want to push up the prices. :twisted:

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:49 pm 
 

johnhuck wrote:Maybe I should have posted that after I'd won the auction! 8O

And don't forget that they have some other auctions finishing very soon if you international bidders want to push up the prices. :twisted:

*g*. Missed it. Thanks for the update, John :)

Haven't been online much today, owing to ISP disconnect problems every five minutes or so (BT in Manchester, apparently...).
(Heh... and again... *grr*)

Guess my original query was too early to be included in the "told everyone" clause.

=

Have been doing really well "saving" money today; what with that Dragon #1 going high so soon in the auction, etc.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:58 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
Kosh Vorlontay wrote:

......

He sent this back after I hounded him,

"We will be prelisting the item today.

It's back...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5956395728

*lol*. Might even have been a genuine listing error, too! 8O
I stand corrected, if so (hey! there's a first time for everything on eBay...).

The gap in the sequence number in the previous auction has now been corrected:
10. Dungeon And Dragons-The Village of Hommlet
12. Dungeon And Dragons-Dark Tower
13. Dungeon And Dragons-Expediton to the Barrier Peaks

Enjoy; all you U.S. bidders (and Canucks disguised as such!)


Damn, I was hoping nobody was going to notice that it was back up.....RATS :oops:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:59 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:Have been doing really well "saving" money today; what with that Dragon #1 going high so soon in the auction, etc.


Noticed the BIG difference between #1 and #2.

Haven't been doing too well at saving money today.  Fireplace.  Antique or repro, or a woodburner.  Anyway, that's another story.

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:14 pm 
 

johnhuck wrote:Noticed the BIG difference between #1 and #2.

*nods*. Would've been less of a gap if I hadn't reduced my snipe to the absolute minimum, though; after giving up on #1.
Am still surprised there were no other bidders, though.

johnhuck wrote:Haven't been doing too well at saving money today. Fireplace. Antique or repro, or a woodburner. Anyway, that's another story.

Might to cheaper to buy a house here, gut it and reuse the contents. ;)
*
Got a nice marble & hardwood surround fireplace here with a well-matched, expensive gas fire; both pretty much as "freebies".
(Well, might as well be when you're talking £32,000 for a three bedroom granite-built flat with a large attic space to convert...).

[*not moving back down South in a hurry*]

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:01 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:Might to cheaper to buy a house here, gut it and reuse the contents. ;)

That might not be such a bad idea.  I wish I could get my hands on the fool who pulled the Edwardian fireplace out in the 60s.  I'd beat him to death with his damn concrete and grey tile monstrosity.  :evil:

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2709
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:56 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:Am still surprised there were no other bidders, though.


Did mean to bid, but went to the pub instead :D  :D  :D
thought #2 was a bit of a deal - although it did look a bit creased.

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2709
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:57 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:(Well, might as well be when you're talking £32,000 for a three bedroom granite-built flat with a large attic space to convert...).
[*not moving back down South in a hurry*]


I'm sorry - did you miss out a zero 8O
I will never be able to match your bids.... what with my mortgage payments :)

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 188
Joined: Jun 30, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 11, 2018
Location: Del Norte, CO

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:23 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Mixed bundle with 1st MM (not the best copy) and possible 1st DMG;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5955544734
Just opened at $5 with 6 1/2 days to go

(The description for the blue Basic book is a bit misleading *g*, but you might wish to re-check the condition of the other two books, if interested...).

Had to flip back to find this post... now at $87.51 with 3 1/2 days left....I wonder if the new "True first DMG" is a factor there...that one's in better shape than either of mine.


New "True first DMG's" don't seem to be inspiring alot of bidding.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:25 pm 
 

ifearyeti wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:
Had to flip back to find this post... now at $87.51 with 3 1/2 days left....I wonder if the new "True first DMG" is a factor there...that one's in better shape than either of mine.


New "True first DMG's" don't seem to be inspiring alot of bidding.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT


I think that is one that everybody missed because it is listed in the wrong area.  That is why I missed it.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:38 pm 
 

ifearyeti wrote:New "True first DMG's" don't seem to be inspiring alot of bidding. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT


Well, the item you linked to is subpar in any case. Read the condition statement and look at the picture.

"Good condition, with a clear plastic cover."

Looking closely at the picture, you can see the clear plastic is a bit squirrelly and bubbled up in the lower half of the front cover.

IMO: to place plastic covering on an item in this manner destroys its value as a collectable. Sure it protects items for long-term use, but doing so, also destroys any collectable qualities that it might have otherwise had.

I would not even bid on a copy with this type of defacing. And would only own one, if forced to do so due to it being a portion of a larger lot of items. Which has actually happened once.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:47 pm 
 

I took just a quick look and never noticed the clear plastic cover in the descrition, and I agree for the most part about the devaluation factor involved with that type of damage. Even still I think Mr. Huck got himself a pretty good deal for $1.68 plus shipping.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:50 pm 
 

Yes, I agree that he got a great buy. Especially should it turn out to be one of the TRUE First Prints or Alpha-Beta's, or even a first print as recently listed here.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:11 pm 
 

I agree about the plastic cover devaluing it.  Although it's still collectible for me until another one pops up (and probably more hotly contended now).

Hadn't even bothered looking for DMGs until today.  But I just thought I'd have a search as I thought I'd remembered harami2000 mentioning that there was a couple of copies listed when the new chronology was published.  Not sure if this was one of them.  But it only had 30 mins left to run when I did the search.  So, I thought it was worth putting in a snipe.  But didn't think I would win.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 851
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 29, 2020

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:56 pm 
 

Regarding plastic-coating books: I've never done it to a hardcover, but have done it to many of my books that have no value due to obscurity or condition.  If the plastic is contact paper, it can be removed, although you would be wise to invest in something that can remove the remaining adhesive without damaging the cover.

Now, if the plastic is self-stick laminating plastic, you're done.



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:28 am 
 

harami2000 wrote:
*chuckles*. yer welcome!

Was a reasonable price for a decent-ish 5th print. (UK prices are generally higher for those (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5932283787 ), whereas in the US people seems to prefer OCEs, recently :lol:)


yeah i will go have a look at that program tonight. am not really that bothered about which prints they are n stuff, i just want 1 really nice set of them which are in the best condition i can get my hands on...THAT makes me happy :)

i need to hide ebay for a few weeks - cant afford to keep looking at it :)



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 628
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2007
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:45 pm 
 

nice SW mod going cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT
30 mins left

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 10012, 3, 4, 5 ... 9899100