Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 19 of 111123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:12 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
draco76 wrote:D&D coloring books!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 67179&rd=1

lol

he's had them up for auction a few times and they still aint sold huh? hardly surprising :)

mind you, the pictures ARE tastefully coloured. while youre there, take a look at his other auctions....every one i seem to look at, has an incomplete item in it....

hmmm :?

Worse than that. If you look he sometimes lists all those incomplete items....a good bit of MERP items.... all missing maps and then he will have an listing that contains a bunch of misc. maps....most of which appear to be from MERP modules :(

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:49 pm 

And only $9.99 for that nice, early Tractics set, too, even if missing ref sheets
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5168381964
(Burnie Bros. SW'd one was a "Wizard" copy, not GK- which should explain the dice, I think).

Bet the seller was a bit disappointed, there, after that string of OCEs and high prices...
Hrrr.... Was there something wrong with his deodorant?

I dunno, the missing reference sheets are a big factor. $10 for a set missing those isn't unusual. There was a (complete) set here in Australia that went through ebay 2/3 times without a bid that only had a $15 opening price.

I'd be interested in the chronology of Tractics - I know Guidon published them first, followed by TSR. I have two TSR copies - one in a white box, one in a woodgrain. If nothing else it lets me boast I own a woodgrain box set....

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:00 pm 

mdr003 wrote:I dunno, the missing reference sheets are a big factor. $10 for a set missing those isn't unusual. There was a (complete) set here in Australia that went through ebay 2/3 times without a bid that only had a $15 opening price.

U.S. is a bigger market than Oz (and lower shipping costs to those buyers!).

As a spare set just to use, or for display, at one cent lower than the original price, best part of 30 years ago.
Dunno.... *shrugs*

Even shoving a "homeless" OCE book set inside that box makes that sort of purchase price look decent, IMHO!

mdr003 wrote:I'd be interested in the chronology of Tractics - I know Guidon published them first, followed by TSR. I have two TSR copies - one in a white box, one in a woodgrain. If nothing else it lets me boast I own a woodgrain box set....

TSR woodgrain, not Guidon...? Heh. No comment!
(Was the second book/bookset that Guidon produced after Chainmail, but the list in "Don't Give Up The Ship", but forgot to get confirmation that was reflected in the product code).

*nods*. Yeah, and I dunno 'bout all those differences in the white box set and hadn't been keeping that close an eye on the variants in the auctions.
Thought Allan would know all of them by now... ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:10 pm 

I'll get a Guidon set eventually... I've bid on the last couple that have come up on ebay but no luck yet. Just have to wait until all the more serious collectors have their own set and then it'll be my turn.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:38 am 

mdr003 wrote:I'll get a Guidon set eventually... I've bid on the last couple that have come up on ebay but no luck yet. Just have to wait until all the more serious collectors have their own set and then it'll be my turn.

*g*. At least we can be sure <aneoth> won't bid $500 every time one turns up, just to push things along... ;)

Talking of whom;

Greyhawk T1st

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5170573490

$35 with 5 3/4 days (reserve not met)

- "clear tape applied over the soiling" (paraphr.). *urk* What's wrong with the UK-standard fully-laminated look? :o

Heh. Another auction to totally annihilate the paltry low-grade "estimated values", then...

(Would have been interesting to see that excellent Chainmail 1st sold on the 'bay, too).

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:02 am 

harami2000 wrote:Greyhawk T1st

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5170573490

$35 with 5 3/4 days (reserve not met)

- "clear tape applied over the soiling" (paraphr.). *urk* What's wrong with the UK-standard fully-laminated look? :o

Heh. Another auction to totally annihilate the paltry low-grade "estimated values", then...

(Would have been interesting to see that excellent Chainmail 1st sold on the 'bay, too).

{Heh. Another auction to totally annihilate the paltry low-grade "estimated values"}

Not exactly sure what you meant by that comment, but:

But, I would like to clarify a point or five if I may.

FWIW: I would place the condition of the copy of First Print Greyhawk that I have listed at far above "low-grade" status. In fact it not for the Tape, and the fact that I also have a second (Mint) copy of the book, I would not even be listing this copy at all. I would keep it myself, and may still if the Reserve price is not met, without misgivings. The book listed in that auction truly is a very nice copy of the TFG. (See below)

If not for the clear tape applied to the spine of the book, I would comfortably grade this book at Fine to Very Fine using the Acaeum Grading Scale. I did not state this (My opinion) in the listing as others (Buyers) may very well have a different opinion of the books condition than I do. Instead I listed all possible detractions (In detail) and so allow the bidder to make his or her own decision, based on the detailed facts, and the pictures placed with those facts, rather than cloud the auction with my opinions. My opinion means little to the bidder.

Also, and as we are all well aware on this forum, a store sticker on the cover of a book of this sort is very common and not much of a problem for most collectors (Including myself). It happens and if left on, then (IMO) the sticker does not affect the value or appearance of the book enough to downgrade the books condition.

The staple rust I detailed is not bad either. Normal actually, as indicative of other copies of this type of book from the same time period that I have. But, certainly a detraction to the books overall grading though.

The soiling (perhaps too pronounced in my description) is actually slight and detailed by me only to err on the side of the buyer. As can be seen in the enlarged pictures offered for the auction. (Please click on the pictures to enlarge them).

BTW: More pictures can be sent on request.

I agree that selling a First Edition Chainmail at this time would certainly have garnered some interest, however, the First Edition Chainmail I once had is now part of another person's collection. I recently traded that First Edition Chainmail for other Items.

The trade offer was simply too tempting for me to resist. Among those items was a Mint copy of the True First Print of Greyhawk, hence the current sale of this TFG by me.

That Mint copy of TFG is (without question) the best-conditioned book (of its type and time period) that I have ever seen. And I do have other Mint copies of similar type books in my collection. It was in fact (IMO) the most essential piece of the trade offer made to me. For without it I imagine that an equitable trade would not have been possible. And, although that book may not be as pricey as some of my other treasures it enjoys an honored place in my collectables cabinet and is one of the highlights of my D&D collection; as was the First Edition Chainmail before it.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:54 pm 

Aneoth wrote:If not for the clear tape applied to the spine of the book, I would comfortably grade this book at Fine to Very Fine using the Acaeum Grading Scale.

Agreed.

(Minor age discoloration of the edges of the paper AOK, too, if present).

Aneoth wrote:I did not state this (My opinion) in the listing as others (Buyers) may very well have a different opinion of the books condition than I do. Instead I listed all possible detractions (In detail) and so allow the bidder to make his or her own decision, based on the detailed facts, and the pictures placed with those facts, rather than cloud the auction with my opinions. My opinion means little to the bidder.

*nods*.

The current grading system is badly-enough flawed, IMO (VF at absolute best for a single spot of staple rust on an otherwise perfect vintage book, yet perfectly tolerant of long spine splits plus other flaws at VG).

The attempted brute-force percentage value calculations off the back of that are even worse, as I've pointed out, although a lot of people seem to be perfectly happy with them for some unknown reason.

Hence my "Another auction to totally annihilate the paltry low-grade 'estimated values'" comment.

(That means "high", of course, <Aneoth>).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:01 pm 

Spots of rust on the staples are good - it shows the module is genuine, and not a good (photo)copy which has been through a modern shrink wrapper.

Esp w.r.t. JG stuff!!

BJS

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:27 pm 

harami2000 wrote:The current grading system is badly-enough flawed, IMO (VF at absolute best for a single spot of staple rust on an otherwise perfect vintage book, yet perfectly tolerant of long spine splits plus other flaws at VG).

I assume, that with current grading system, you are referring to the grading at .

I haven't written this system, but I use it and I actually like it. This is at least the second time you critise this system in public. If you don't like it, that's your right and OK with me. But you have no right to critizise it openly, unless you come up with something better yourself. Look, it's like politics. Just to say NO is not enough.  So, post a better system with better definitions and I will give you my thoughts on it. If it is really better, I am sure, we will gladly use that system for grading within the Acaeum valuation process.

Please note, that I am not speaking on behalf of the valuation board, or Paul (beyondthebreach), or anyone else here. This is my personal opinion.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:49 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:But you have no right to critizise it openly, unless you come up with something better yourself.

Whoa back, Ralf... I need a "right" to speak freely on an open forum?

Nor do I need to present a fully-fledged system just to be permitted to critique specific points of the current one being used behind-the-scenes (I mentioned staple rust vs. spine tears, rather than just decrying the system for no particular reason).

Have already posted estimated valuations based on a five-point schema and mentioned the possibility of grading within various aspects or averaging rather than using a "one hit and you're out" approach.

Or even just to leave this as a subjective matter (as other people would be inclined to do) within a very loose schema ( Page Not Found appears to try to do this, but has confusing points such as "minor spine creases" on F & NM descs., with that eyesight-dependant "5 feet" comment on VF).

Ralf Toth wrote:Look, it's like politics. Just to say NO is not enough.

Actually, in politics that's often more than enough.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:11 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Whoa back, Ralf... I need a "right" to speak freely on an open forum?

Reread my post. I never said so and never will. Please be careful with such allegiations.

harami2000 wrote:Nor do I need to present a fully-fledged system just to be permitted to critique specific points of the current one being used behind-the-scenes (I mentioned staple rust vs. spine tears, rather than just decrying the system for no particular reason).

The first time you critized Scott's definition without any specific points. (I'm now quoting from your response to dbartman in the thread "Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay"):

harami2000 wrote:The current grading system has many fundamental flaws in its derivation, words/expressions used, variable nature of the items being described, etc.... and that's even without "quirks" such as the PotVQ!

(Combine all that with the "trashing" of valuations for lower grades and you're gonna get some extremely narked off individuals around here).

The basic rules of discussion as I learned them: A) If you don't like something, say so, and say why. You did that in your post regarding Paul's valuation system (examples of spine rust) B) Give your suggestion for improvement. This is the magic word of the whole issue. Where is your "suggestion for improvement"? Sorry, I couldn't find it.

harami2000 wrote:
Ralf Toth wrote:Look, it's like politics. Just to say NO is not enough.

Not for the voters.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:40 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Whoa back, Ralf... I need a "right" to speak freely on an open forum?

Reread my post. I never said so and never will. Please be careful with such allegiations.

No "allegations". Just your own quote. "Please be careful" applies both ways, no?

Ralf Toth wrote:But you have no right to critizise it openly, unless you come up with something better yourself.

Seems clear enough to me. Your own italics, too.

Ralf Toth wrote:Where is your "suggestion for improvement"? Sorry, I couldn't find it.

Think I'll bite my tongue and ask you to read again (and the previous comments and observations, too) rather than respond to that tone of statement...

(Or is only a "fully fledged" and detailed alternative system acceptable?).

Ralf Toth wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

Not for the voters.

Blanket statement. No win.

So you know of no voters who avoid voting for a party because they don't identify/agree with a given stance or individual?

Or no politician who picks up votes just as readily just by saying they don't agree with the policy(ies) of another party? (Opposition politics is far more often about knocking down, first, without actually presenting a "better" alternative. If you present something tangible it gives the other party(ies) something to aim at!).

But we digress...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:54 pm 

Harami,

I will email you privately with my concerns later. If you wish to continue the discussion, please let us do so via email.

Thanks!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:01 pm 

b_stedman wrote:Spots of rust on the staples are good - it shows the module is genuine, and not a good (photo)copy which has been through a modern shrink wrapper.

*nods*. Most likely genuine and definitely a good indication of having not been tampered with.

Was thinking in the context of the old Supplements, too. Anything better than a few spots of staple rust probably needs a detailed history of what climate-controlled conditions the book's been kept in! *1/2 jk*

(And if we get too hyper about staples, is certainly opening the way to wholesale fraud, IMHO).

b_stedman wrote:Esp w.r.t. JG stuff!!

BJS

8O  8O  8O

*immediately rips open all my spare bulk-purchase JG items, just to make sure*

Ah... that's a relief. The smell of aging newsprint is another good sign, no?

(One more reason I dislike SW, aside from not being able to handle/use the contents...).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:39 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:Harami,

I will email you privately with my concerns later. If you wish to continue the discussion, please let us do so via email.

If that's an indirect "gagging order" on all matters relating to "criticism" (constructive or otherwise) of grading scales, rather than relating to our own discussion, please state that clearly, Ralf, instead of leaving me guessing.

Anyhow, I see nothing in either which cannot be discussed on public forum, since it relates directly to the topic at hand.

David.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:45 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Ralf Toth wrote:Harami,

If that's an indirect "gagging order" on all matters relating to "criticism" (constructive or otherwise) of grading scales, rather than relating to our own discussion, please state that clearly, Ralf, instead of leaving me guessing.

Anyhow, I see nothing in either which cannot be discussed on public forum, since it relates directly to the topic at hand.

David.

Guys, sheesh.  Calm down.  No need to "pull a Maxwell" here.  I see there are some clear concerns regarding grading so I propose the very tried and true universal grading system:

If I have one, it's mint.

If I don't, it's rare.

(Don't laugh too hard, it's better than some)  :P

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:49 pm 

It does, but in the wrong column. This is "Interesting Items."

I think I actually did come up with a better system that I posted, either basing it strictly on auction/confirmed private sales, or allowing ALL Acaeum members to submit their valuations in the form of what they would pay for a certain item. Obviously there might be the occasional idiot who will say a 1st print MM is worth $500, but the obvious jokes can be filtered out.

Even better, get rid of the grading system and have a range. For example, a 1st print MM could range from $25-$150, ranging the valuations from fair to NM (by current standards). That way, we don't get idiots who look up the Acaeum value of an item, add 100% to it, and put it up on eBay ($2,000 for a Tamoachan?).

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:14 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:It does, but in the wrong column. This is "Interesting Items."

I believe I mentioned a T1st Greyhawk...

Agreed, Frank, re. consensus system as a possible balance and may also be of interest to obtain a broader perspective, rather than just the top two figures in a given auction.

... And yes, presuming honestly stated numbers of course!

deimos3428 wrote:If I have one, it's mint.

If I don't, it's rare.

:lol:  :lol:

Yeah, but with the rider that I'm not going to tell anyone I think so and want their copy for under a buck, no?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 19 of 111123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 109110111