Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 11112, 3 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:36 pm 

For the collectors of foreign rpg items:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 51299&rd=1

French Dark Sun Box, shrinkwrapped

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:23 pm 

I am in utter AWE right now... Some Jack Ass actually out bid Wackaman333 bid of $450.00 to win this auction. I am totally speechless............  :?  8O  :?  8O  :?  8O  :?  :twisted:  :twisted:  8O  :?  8O

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5954223324

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:27 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I am in utter AWE right now... Some Jack Ass actually out bid Wackaman333 bid of $450.00 to win this auction. I am totally speechless............ :? 8O :? 8O :? 8O :? :twisted: :twisted: 8O :? 8O

Then again the winning bidder has a wopping 96.6% feedback rating   8O so maybe he will deadbeat it anyway....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:48 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I am in utter AWE right now... Some Jack Ass actually out bid Wackaman333 bid of $450.00 to win this auction. I am totally speechless............ :? 8O :? 8O :? 8O :? :twisted: :twisted: 8O :? 8O

I thought that was the seller's shill acount...? *jk*

*shrugs at the crazy buyer*

Was worried enough that was gonna happen the last few times... :(

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:51 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

The same buyer also purchased sandralock's punched Tsojconth. Also bid low on one of the recent Inverness auctions.  Just checked, I knew the name sounded familiar...maybe an indiscriminate collector that just wants rares in any condition.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:58 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

Speaking of crazy buyers, Couger was in the hunt for this one!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:03 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:The same buyer also purchased sandralock's punched Tsojconth.

Ah.... That's mindreading me, but I dun keep tabs on duff auctions... thx & Sorry to hear that.
Even more poor sucker for that one, but at least the seller there was relatively honest and friendly, unlike this one. :?
*meh*

Don't think cougie was in the "main body" of the hunt. Dave was well aware of the reserve price trick, but might've been hoping the seller would second offer and he'd try to twist the price down.
Should've known what reception that got last time, if so...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:41 pm 

eBay listings

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:45 pm 

I thought Wackaman was someone on here playing with the auction? I recall a recent thread with a couple of 'Wack, Wack' comments (maybe on the Copyright Violation thread).

Personally, I don't think the seller has done all that much wrong, certainly not enough to justify the auction interferance (if that's what it was). The only problem with his auction was the discrepancy between stated auction reserve ($300) and actual ($290)... it could well have been an honest mistake, or it could well have been his reaction to the crap he got with the last listing (where the price was bid up to $299.99 by two acaeum members, just for a laugh). Either way, the only harm done with the discrepancy in the 2nd listing of the item was to throw a spanner in the works when the same interferance was attempted a second time.

The end result was the seller made $450 on the sale, so I guess he's happy, but Fisher ended up paying $100 more than he should have due to Wackaman - so I imagine he's not happy.

My opinion is that the seller has done nothing wrong apart from have an inflated idea on what his item was worth... and I guess he was proved right in the end, with three legitimate bidders willing to pay $300+.

Regards

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:58 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5955662934

Don't see these often... maybe one a year?

Ya the price is high and its only a bunch of crap in a pretty wrapper but hey its still a hard to come by item. I'd buy it if I wasn't the one trying to sell it :D  besides I have two....... this being the better one.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:17 am 

Actually, MDR, you'd have to know the history of deceit and threats that this seller has made to perfectly legitimate questions. I think he might be Maxie's cousin. Same rambling, fractured English.
So, once again it comes down to this: If someone is willing to bid $XXX on an auction, they have no right whatsoever to complain if it turns out they pay that much.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:09 am 

Heya Mike,

I didn't get a chance to respond before heading off to work this morning.
Will stick with what I'd intended to post, then.

mdr003 wrote:The only problem with his auction was the discrepancy between stated auction reserve ($300) and actual ($290)... it could well have been an honest mistake, or it could well have been his reaction to the crap he got with the last listing (where the price was bid up to $299.99 by two acaeum members, just for a laugh).

Wrong.
Not "just for a laugh".
I saw the re-listing and the reserve price he quoted in the auction description.
It then cost me precisely nothing to make a legitimate and non-binding bid in the expectation that the item wouldn't sell; which would then give me a free opportunity to see whether I could entice the seller to part with the item at a lower price; relisting as BIN.
(A long shot, admittedly, given the seller had already misrepresented the item and was apparently looking to "cut his losses" as little as possible, but totally within the rules of the game).
I asked Frank whether he had similar intention, earlier.
btw. You could also query <jhstissot>'s bid of $299 in the current sale in a similar context.

There were NOT "three legitimate bidders willing to pay $300+".

mdr003 wrote:Either way, the only harm done with the discrepancy in the 2nd listing of the item was to throw a spanner in the works when the same interferance was attempted a second time.

There was NO interference "the first time" (although not the first time of listing).
If the seller wishes to state their reserve in public, that's entirely their call.

mdr003 wrote:My opinion is that the seller has done nothing wrong apart from have an inflated idea on what his item was worth... and I guess he was proved right in the end, with three legitimate bidders willing to pay $300+.

Frank, however, is correct.

- The previous attempts to sell were deliberately misrepresented by claims about the date of purchase/price paid for the book.
- The attempt to trap a bid by lying about the reserve in the auction text this time simply does not wash as an "accident". (The clumsy text edit in the next sentence shows that they didn't just "accidentally" cut and paste the previous description).
(Anyhow, if they were willing to sell at $290, why not even bother to contact a bidder who bid $299.99 last time? Doesn't make any sense...).
- There is NO justification for reporting people to eBay for making valid bids and claiming that this was "interference"; doubly so when they never even bothered to contact me!
- There is similarly NO justification for foul-mouthed and threatening messages being sent to bidders.

When <jhstissot> bid $290+, I just kept walking away.

Regards,
David.

p.s. Obviously I'd rather not post the above, since it clearly indicates that I place the value of said item above the sub-$100 range it was sometimes selling for a couple of years ago, but since you called my hand...

(OK, I had better things to type this lunchtime; apologies, Mike <improvstone>).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:59 am 

harami2000 wrote:p.s. Obviously I'd rather not post the above, since it clearly indicates that I place the value of said item above the sub-$100 range it was sometimes selling for a couple of years ago, but since you called my hand...

From my interpretation of what you posted, I don't get that impression at all.

The winner paid too much, the seller was totally dishonest (BOTH times), and the item just isn't worth the hassle, especially when all the seller can do is toss out foul slurs over a deliberate misstatement of the reserve price.

It's over and done with, until the winner attempts to sell it again and realizes he paid about $200 too much.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:50 pm 

Traveller wrote:
harami2000 wrote:p.s. Obviously I'd rather not post the above, since it clearly indicates that I place the value of said item above the sub-$100 range it was sometimes selling for a couple of years ago, but since you called my hand...

From my interpretation of what you posted, I don't get that impression at all.

Heyas :)
Was meaning that from the p.o.v. of me not thinking it's still only worth $50-60 and bidding $299.99 "just for a laugh"; providing Mike with my rationale, fwiw.

Traveller wrote:The winner paid too much, the seller was totally dishonest (BOTH times), and the item just isn't worth the hassle, especially when all the seller can do is toss out foul slurs over a deliberate misstatement of the reserve price.

*nods*. The dishonesty stretched further back, too; was more than just twice, IIRC. :(

Yeah, definitely not worth the hassle...
And it's not as though I really wanted to get a bid retraction on my record, either, in order to prove my suspicions that last time.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:36 pm 

Just reminded to respond on this one...
grodog wrote:
harami2000 wrote:harami2000 wrote:
Does anyone have the other character sheet pads (probably more than one issue) which GW released after they were official TSR distributors (1975), but pre-dating those later pads (1978)?
These were advertised/mentioned in NFB and O&W, then WDs 1 & 3, only.
(This is where the "An early ad in White Dwarf lists this item as having 20 pages; unknown if that was later revised, or a 20-page version was actually released (thanks to Bruce Robertson for this info)" confusion arises from, on The Acaeum listing).

I think this is the set that I got in Kansas over the holiday; mine definitely had more than 20 pages left...
...but I don't recall offhand if it had a TSR logo or not, or the date on it. I thought it was 1977, but I'll check to see when I get back home from work.

Hiya, Allan.

The red pad with Alan Hunter artwork is definitely (c)1978 with 50 pages.

GW were selling pads of 20 from before May 1976 (mentioned in NFB #18 "Over 400 sets of D&D have been sold in the UK") until ~1978.
I don't have a copy of O&W prior to that NFB, but someone with a complete run (*g*) of the later issues should be able to pinpoint a precise date for that and the earlier version of the hex sheet pad.
Maybe even a picture or any indication as to (c)TSR imprint, as would be expected from the official UK distributors...

(Well, actually I keep getting prods to query one of our rarely-seen board members about these and other early GW items. Will do so one of these days....).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:10 pm 

Fair enough David... I wasn't privy to the 'other stuff' that went on behind the scenes, with deliberate deceit in the listing and the abusive emails. I remember in the first listing, someone on here bidding $299.99 and then asking for someone to bid him up to the max; and I remember a few people having a chuckle about it.

And bidding just under the reserve in the hope of it being passed in and then securing a sale at a lower price is a perfectly legitimate tactic, one that I hadn't thought of.

So with the background, any sympathy I had for the seller has disappeared. Especially if Fisher actually pays him the $450.

Regards

Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:49 pm 

This auction is already over, and the auction itself isn't in itself all that interesting, but check out this auction that BTB just won today. The bidding sequence doesn't make any sense:

offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBid ... 5954393158

beyondthebreach ( 1243) US $204.27 Feb-09-05 13:28:36 PST  
imperial_sniper ( 32) US $201.77 Feb-09-05 13:28:23 PST  
imperial_sniper ( 32) US $177.77 Feb-09-05 13:28:36 PST

The first and 3rd bids are at the exact same time all the way up to the exact second, which is weird all in itself, but look at the losing bidders 2 bidss. His 3rd place bid according to Ebay was actually placed chronologically after his second place bid by 13 seconds.  Weird.  :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:08 am 

harami2000 wrote:Just reminded to respond on this one...
grodog wrote:...but I don't recall offhand if it had a TSR logo or not, or the date on it. I thought it was 1977, but I'll check to see when I get back home from work.

The red pad with Alan Hunter artwork is definitely (c)1978 with 50 pages.

Yep, you're right David:  mine's (c) Games Workshop 1978, not 1977 :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 11112, 3 ... 109110111