Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 86 of 111123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:53 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Terminal_Frost wrote:It offsets the $20-30 extra you paid for red sonya.

What some guys would do for ascantily clad hot babe with a sword. :wink:

I probably did pay a little much for the RS1, but I only did so because for some reason people seem to pay a lot more for it then its actual worth. I have seen okay conditon RS1 go for more than $40.00. I will bet if I sold it tomorrow I would get $60.00 easy. :o I am not really sure why, its not that great of a module. :?

But Geez, did you see the extra fees this guy slips in? 15% sales tax? Paypal fees?  Plus shipping?  For the GDQ it's $9 tax, about $3 paypal, and who knows for shipping.  Still a good deal, but damn that guy knows how to sneak in a few extra bucks....

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:02 pm 

OK...
If dice interest you, look at these:

I picked them up in a carboot sale with a few other modules (not a rule set) and cut up floor plans.  I've put them in my very excellent 4th (ish) Basic set to replace the crappy dice I had with that - they kind of look right in there!

But... I certainly have no real attatchment to them, so any interest (from anyone), let me know.

Jon

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:07 pm 

I'll take em. :D

But maybe I should give someone else a chance first. I've got a few sets already.

And personally, I think the value of a Basic Set is improved if it is complete with the proper dice. And so many aren't :cry:

But here's a nice one...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5209276131

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:14 pm 

Badmike wrote:But Geez, did you see the extra fees this guy slips in? 15% sales tax? Paypal fees? Plus shipping? For the GDQ it's $9 tax, about $3 paypal, and who knows for shipping. Still a good deal, but damn that guy knows how to sneak in a few extra bucks....

Mike B.

Oh yea, he invoiced me originally for $26.00 S&H. 8O 8O 8O I then asked him if he was sure about that because I had just recently won a diffrent Canadian auction (from deimos :wink: ) who promptly charged me $5.00 for S&H. He promptly sent me an updated invoice for $8.00 S&H claiming that he was just getting back into the selling thing and didnt realize it would be that cheap. It is a good thing he reversed course, because if he didn't I was going to insist that he send me a real sales receipt so that I could apply for a reimbersment from the Canadian goverment, which when I checked it out and with me being a non-Canadian citizen, am legally able to do. How funny would that have been if I applied for that reimbersment and he never reportedit tothe Canadian governement. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:23 pm 

johnhuck wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Yes; hence my question to John as to whether anyone had any of those late 60s polys on that link, above.
Didn't spot John's querying reply, though... :oops:

And can you tell me more?

Not much. Had been meaning to scope out, but as usual...

Oh well. Starter link/quote, anyhow;
someone else wrote:Angelfire - error 404
"The dice are something that Gygax came across in a school supply catalog, and later sold through Tactical Studies Rules. They were small plastic Platonic solids with numbered sides, presumably for use in geometry classes. Arneson had purchased his own twenty-sided dice sometime earlier, from a company in England that later went out of business. "I had the only three sets of d20 known to exist, at that time, in the USA," he explains."

None of which makes clear how long those U.S. sourced dice had been around for, or where the UK ones came from/what their intended purpose was.
It's certainly those UK ones which intrigued me, since I do also remember poly dice at school albeit that context wouldn't be much before 1974, I'm afraid.

Off-hand, all the older board games I can think of (back to the 30s, anyhow) used spindle-type devices or cards for non-d6 decisions.
Maybe someone here knows otherwise.

Oh, aside, if you're down in London some time, check out the Roman d20s in the British Museum. ;)
Low impact too, IIRC. :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:30 pm 

johnhuck wrote:And personally, I think the value of a Basic Set is improved if it is complete with the proper dice.

Is definitely a plus, IMO, to see a nice sealed bag of original dice in its original context. (*keeps an eye on John with those scissors, waiting to liberate them*)

Cost me quite a bit last time when those were present in a rather nice GW set. If nothing else, that emphasised that the rest of the set which looked pretty much unused was likely to be so... as turned out to be the case.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:36 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
someone else wrote:Angelfire - error 404
"The dice are something that Gygax came across in a school supply catalog, and later sold through Tactical Studies Rules. They were small plastic Platonic solids with numbered sides, presumably for use in geometry classes. Arneson had purchased his own twenty-sided dice sometime earlier, from a company in England that later went out of business. "I had the only three sets of d20 known to exist, at that time, in the USA," he explains."

Very interesting. Reads on...
someone else wrote:Later versions of the game came with numbered cardboard chits that you could draw at random out of a cup; dice did not come with the game rules until 1981.

Not quite how I remember. The chits replaced the dice when TSR ran short IIRC. And I had a set of those coloured polys very early on. I'm sure the OD&D boxed set was sold with them at one point. But maybe they were added by retailers?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:40 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Not quite how I remember.

Nope, that's just a clueless article writer; hopefully going off their own research, rather than using the same reliable (:?) sources from earlier in that paragraph.

*g*. I should've given that next sentence a health warning in advance. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:34 pm 

I remember the d4 yellow/d6 red/d8 green/d12 blue/d2x10 white set also came with at least some of the 1st edition Gamma World boxed sets. I distinctly remember getting that set for my birthday and opening the box at the restaurant where we had my family birthday dinner (mom was not happy!) I remember seeing those dice and thinking how cool they were, as the only dice I'd gotten before were the pastel, creamy-style dice sets all in the same color that they had in the 81 Basic and Expert sets.

I still have the d4 and use it regularly... the rest having long since passed on or been lost... :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:29 am 

Nice Tractics woodgrain set @ $37, 3 days to go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:33 am 

Badmike wrote:But Geez, did you see the extra fees this guy slips in? 15% sales tax? Paypal fees? Plus shipping? For the GDQ it's $9 tax, about $3 paypal, and who knows for shipping. Still a good deal, but damn that guy knows how to sneak in a few extra bucks....

Canadian tax laws are fun!  I gotta defend the seller a little bit here, he's probably confused with what he needs to charge and is probably putting far too much money in the government coffers.  He doesn't need to charge everyone 15% (7% GST + 8% Nova Scotia sales tax).  He is supposed to charge the 8% provincial sales tax to residents of Nova Scotia.  I'm honestly not sure about the GST, I think everyone in Canada takes that one.

Out of province/out of country sellers theoretically pay tax when the item enters their country/province.  In reality this rarely happens, but occasionally the customs guys catch it at the border and apply tax mercilessly.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:37 am 

bclarkie wrote:It is a good thing he reversed course, because if he didn't I was going to insist that he send me a real sales receipt so that I could apply for a reimbersment from the Canadian goverment, which when I checked it out and with me being a non-Canadian citizen, am legally able to do. How funny would that have been if I applied for that reimbersment and he never reportedit tothe Canadian governement. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mmmm...tax fraud.  If you think it's a big enough deal, I could put in a call.  :D  I have a family member working at CCRA (Canadian equivalent of IRS)...but he doesn't deal with small fish.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:59 am 

deimos3428 wrote:

Canadian tax laws are fun! I gotta defend the seller a little bit here, he's probably confused with what he needs to charge and is probably putting far too much money in the government coffers. He doesn't need to charge everyone 15% (7% GST + 8% Nova Scotia sales tax). He is supposed to charge the 8% provincial sales tax to residents of Nova Scotia. I'm honestly not sure about the GST, I think everyone in Canada takes that one.

Out of province/out of country sellers theoretically pay tax when the item enters their country/province. In reality this rarely happens, but occasionally the customs guys catch it at the border and apply tax mercilessly.

Which is why on out of country shipping I typically put down value as under $20 and include no sales invoice.  I can't tell you how pissed off I get when the government STEALS money from hard working gamers.....

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:33 pm 

I cant remember off hand but a couple members were looking for one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

about 1 day left

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:15 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:I cant remember off hand but a couple members were looking for one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

about 1 day left

Mike

At least one of them was quietly watching after I PM'd them.  Now the cat's out of the bag the  seller says that the perforated reference sheet has been removed and is no longer present.  Also confirming that the back cover is blue.  So, the 1st print.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:50 pm 

johnhuck wrote:At least one of them was quietly watching after I PM'd them. Now the cat's out of the bag the seller says that the perforated reference sheet has been removed and is no longer present. Also confirming that the back cover is blue. So, the 1st print.

Interesting... that wasn't mentioned when I asked, although I received a fairly decent description of the rest of the internal condition, etc.
Thanks for mentioning, John.

Seller also has a small stack of early (not quite back to #1) WDs in very fine condition to follow over the next few weeks.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:33 am 

harami2000 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:At least one of them was quietly watching after I PM'd them. Now the cat's out of the bag the seller says that the perforated reference sheet has been removed and is no longer present. Also confirming that the back cover is blue. So, the 1st print.

Interesting... that wasn't mentioned when I asked, although I received a fairly decent description of the rest of the internal condition, etc.
Thanks for mentioning, John.

Seller also has a small stack of early (not quite back to #1) WDs in very fine condition to follow over the next few weeks.

Exact words were:

You asked:
"Hi. Is the perforated reference page (last page) still present and attached? And is the rear cover blue or silver? Thanks."

I'm really sorry but the reference page is not there. TO be honest, I'd completely forgotten about there even being one. I last looked at this book about 10 years ago! The back cover is blue by the way. The front, as you can probably see, is blue with silver.

Has happened to me before.  And I just think the seller forgets it was ever there.  The perforations do there job very well and don't leave much evidence of the missing page.  I haven't checked if it's possible to replace with one from a lesser print.  Worth considering?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:08 pm 

1977,1979,1981 Dungeons & Dragons Lot -Unused!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 60358&rd=1

6 days with an opening bid of $20.00.  Dungeon Geomorphs Set Two (Lizard Logo) in the original shrink is the stand-out here.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 86 of 111123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 109110111