Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 8 of 111123 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:24 am 

Aneoth wrote:Oh and please Don't ask me what a poke is. I never was able to pry that information out of my Grandpa.... and he passed away over twenty years ago. You would think that my dad would have told me at some point, but he won't tell me either….

A pig in a poke is a blind purchase, something bought unseen; a poke being a dialectical term for a bag (probably from the French word "poche" meaning roughly bag or pocket). It was a common scam to substitute a cat or other creature of similar size for a suckling pig at market. If you don't "Let the cat out of the bag" to check what you are buying you've got a "pig in a poke".

So, make sure you're getting what you pay for. Or "Caveat emptor" (Buyer beware).  A phrase we have seen used many times before on this site.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:22 am 

C2 mono in NM(?) condition - DM version!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 05118&rd=1

no bids yet

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:42 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:C2 mono in NM(?) condition - DM version!!

no bids yet

I am usually the last person to point out supposed "shady" dealings. . . . but everyone should check out this link. . .

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MEWA:IT

I wondered?  What about my snipe?  What happened?   :?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:44 am 

no bids yet

Well let's get it started. Might as well get an early bid in. 'Cos I aint gonna win.  :cry:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:50 am 

harami2000 wrote:And that's after you pointed out it's against eBay rules to overcharge on shipping?
(That's 2 * 25 kilo M-Bags by surface mail plus a $30 handling charge, I think).

Well, cxonsidering the contents of this lot, a mailbag is not an option - they are very badly treated by the posto office and sometimes don't arrive at all!
Do "books" not count as zero-rated with regards import/customs duty into Italy?

Theorically, yes. In reality, rules and procedures are so arcane to make things virtually impossible to understand for normal mortals. More, a boxed game is not a book so he 'qualifies' for VAT...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:05 am 

Sotterraneo wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Theorically, yes. In reality, rules and procedures are so arcane to make things virtually impossible to understand for normal mortals. More, a boxed game is not a book so he 'qualifies' for VAT...

I'm in the UK, and books are zero rated for tax. But I have had US sellers write Games Books on the customes forms and been whacked for tax. When you're spending $600 that's about £50. It's a real pain in the ass too, 'cos you can't get out of it. You have to pay your £50 to get your package.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:15 am 

johnhuck wrote:

no bids yet

Well let's get it started. Might as well get an early bid in. 'Cos I aint gonna win. :cry:

Hmm... and the photo looks amazingly like the one on the Acaeum.  Right down to the wrinkle in the bottom left corner ... 8O

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:47 am 

It appears to be the one on from The Acaeum.  The writing and defects are identical, which is highly improbably.  Whether it's a copy of the picture or the actual one on The Acaeum is the question.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:19 am 

no bids yet

Wow, didn't take long to get serious.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:26 am 

dbartman wrote:It appears to be the one on from The Acaeum. The writing and defects are identical, which is highly improbably. Whether it's a copy of the picture or the actual one on The Acaeum is the question.

According to the Acaeum listing, that copy in the picture is owned by a new member here stratochamp (aka william meinhardt), the one that stormber was looking for before:

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/ModPages/C2.html

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:28 am 

umm, is anyone paying attention to this post I made?  You all should check it out. . . .

beyondthebreach wrote:

no bids yet

I am usually the last person to point out supposed "shady" dealings. . . . but everyone should check out this link. . .

I wondered? What about my snipe? What happened?  :?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:40 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Ralf Toth wrote:C2 mono in NM(?) condition - DM version!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 05118&rd=1
no bids yet
Wow, didn't take long to get serious.

Yep and it has become more so now. Before visiting the forum this morning I was cruising E-Bay, to see if I could find a BIN for something I wanted. I saw the listing and placed a small bid :wink: . Not to say I can't be beat.  :(

But you snipers (And you know who you are... :wink: ) will need a large collection of minty coppers this time.... :twisted:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:57 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:umm, is anyone paying attention to this post I made? You all should check it out. . . .

No, I do not think they hear you.  That is a mighty big gamble to take, the winner bettter pay via a means that allows them to reverse the charges if things are not as they hoped.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:40 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:umm, is anyone paying attention to this post I made? You all should check it out. . . .

beyondthebreach wrote:

I wondered? What about my snipe? What happened? :?

Ew... I just looked at that a second time and I did not like what I saw this time at all :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

ericg171717 ended his auction early to sell to ericknight1717 That is defintiely not good, way too may ERICs and 17's for my taste 8O 8O 8O . Although it doesn't seem to have a pattern..... YET

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:13 am 

bclarkie wrote:

Ew... I just looked at that a second time and I did not like what I saw this time at all :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

ericg171717 ended his auction early to sell to ericknight1717 That is defintiely not good, way too may ERICs and 17's for my taste 8O 8O 8O . Although it doesn't seem to have a pattern..... YET

Add to that the fact that the seller has no history of buying or selling D&D related products on eBay...just some bizarre poster purchases and a dating guide  8O .  

He "borrowed" the picture from the Acaeum, apparently.  He has several current auctions up, all of high-value D&D items.  Be suspicious, very very suspicious.   :evil:

The photos in these lots are cut-and-pasted hack jobs, not photos of actual sets.  Look here, for example, at the larger picture from the photo hosting site:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... otohosting

See how the edge of the EX2 (bright red module, center) abruptly ends?  There are other examples but I think you get the idea.  This is not looking good.  :evil:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:32 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
He "borrowed" the picture from the Acaeum, apparently. He has several current auctions up, all of high-value D&D items. Be suspicious, very very suspicious. :evil:

The photos in these lots are cut-and-pasted hack jobs, not photos of actual sets. Look here, for example, at the larger picture from the photo hosting site:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... otohosting

See how the edge of the EX2 (bright red module, center) abruptly ends? There are other examples but I think you get the idea. This is not looking good. :evil:

You know, now that you point that out, you are right. I looked at his pics in his other auctions before and did notice that they looked kind of odd, but I just never put 2 and 2 together. Looking at it now, they are an unmitigated mess of cut and paste pictures. Funny thing about it is look who is leading almost all of the auctions to this point..."cougar" :lol: .

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:36 am 

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 8&rd=1

Another thing about the auction is this phrase:

FROM PEOPLE I HAVE SPOKEN WITH WHO ARE VERY KNOWLEDGABLE ABOUT THESE THINGS, I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THAT COULD MAKE THE WORTH OF THIS ITEM EVEN MORE VALUEABLE

Anybody here know this guy? Being that he has stolen his picture form this site, I would have to imagine that the knowledgable people he would be referring to reside right here...............

Maybe somebody who owns one could ask the seller specific questions about the interior pages to ascertain if he even really owns the item. I have a feeling the answer is not going to be good. :evil:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:23 pm 

Just look at the other stuff he sold. Especially:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Has someone reported this clown to eBay?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 8 of 111123 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 109110111