Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 111123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:53 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:It looks like an "OCE" box withouth the starburst. Is it just me, or does the "Rules for..." font look slightly different?

I have enlarged the pic and put side by side with mine.

It looks like my fifth print.

Sans the price.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:59 pm 

check out this guy's feedback...

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 6&rd=1

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:08 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:check out this guy's feedback...

The seller is from Virginia, as well...and note the excessive use of double exclamation points. Look like anyone we know?

[edit]
And now that you've gone and made me suspicious, look at the bidding history.  Four newbies bidding in even $5 increments.  Maybe they're real, maybe one or more are shills.  One of the newbies has a 50% feedback rating already.  

Sure it's a lot of stuff, but there's very little continuity in the lot.  It doesn't look like a newbie-friendly auction to me...looks like something a reseller would target, so I find it very odd that four newbies are in a bidding war over it.  Newbies can be rather unpredictable...but this auction seems "off" to me.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:23 pm 

I was scared stupid by the rating.  And there's some fun stuff in there too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:14 pm 

Just for shits and giggles, I asked him if he did escrow. I wouldn't bid on it either way.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:31 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Reindeergamez wrote:check out this guy's feedback...

The seller is from Virginia, as well...and note the excessive use of double exclamation points. Look like anyone we know?

[edit]

And now that you've gone and made me suspicious, look at the bidding history. Four newbies bidding in even $5 increments. Maybe they're real, maybe one or more are shills. One of the newbies has a 50% feedback rating already.

Sure it's a lot of stuff, but there's very little continuity in the lot. It doesn't look like a newbie-friendly auction to me...looks like something a reseller would target, so I find it very odd that four newbies are in a bidding war over it. Newbies can be rather unpredictable...but this auction seems "off" to me.

I am pretty sure that they are not related.  Don't get me wrong, the guy is definitely a feckin crook, just a different crook. :evil:  Badmike posted that auction earlier in the shady sellers thread and pointed out the guy is selling stuff again that he never shipped out the first time. Kind of like what happened to me just recently...................... :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:25 pm 

I just loved this book...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

OK, is this a first edition - I had a couple of these books like this in the early 80's, (I've just bought a couple of later editions for nostalgia (yes... you were right, I am starting to collect!)).  But, if so, is it collectable?  Haven't seen any others of this edition on ebay in last couple of months.  
Don't get me wrong, I really shouldn't buy it.  After all, I'm not a collector am I?  AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!  Who am I kidding - ST1 where are you now!!!???   :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:47 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:I just loved this book...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

OK, is this a first edition - I had a couple of these books like this in the early 80's, (I've just bought a couple of later editions for nostalgia (yes... you were right, I am starting to collect!)). But, if so, is it collectable?

Yes, but haven't seen any high prices. (OK, higher in the UK, but the postage from the US more than offsets that unless you can obtain multiple items from one seller).
jonjhargreaves wrote:Haven't seen any others of this edition on ebay in last couple of months.
Don't get me wrong, I really shouldn't buy it. After all, I'm not a collector am I? AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH! Who am I kidding - ST1 where are you now!!!??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sounds like the bug's bitten ya, Jon. Noticed you were still signing on from time-to-time! :)
Standard advice might be to sit back and bid very low/restrained whilst you make up your mind how much of your $2,500 to spend on nostalgia/collecting. (And always snipe for anything of higher value, thereafter, should you chose that route).

Given that the whole sum is still a lot more than a very good woodgrain plus black folder PotVQ and an arm-full (or two) of other first print books and mods, I know which I'd choose... Anyhow, your ST1 could so easily have been "lost" or "sold for a song", no? ;)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:12 pm 

rosenkav wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:It looks like an "OCE" box withouth the starburst. Is it just me, or does the "Rules for..." font look slightly different?

I have enlarged the pic and put side by side with mine.
It looks like my fifth print.
Sans the price.

Ain't that one a pain? Impossible to guarantee which books were originally in which box!

Books and boxes should be treated separately though, IMHO, since the assembly process appears to have been done on a gradual rather than "print run" basis. (Thus, an "early" 4th- will have a fine print box, but a "later" 4th- can have a box which more closely resembles the rougher 5th print ones).

*looks around for, but can't find an OCE box just now*
For whatever technical reason, some/most/all(?) OCEs seem "cleaner"/"finer print" than the later 5ths, IIRC, and the scan for that "missing starburst" vs. "missing $10.00" copy is possibly closer to the former print than the latter. Would like to say the brown color is a better match, too, but commenting on that from various scans/photos rather than having a range of prints in front of me isn't the best idea in this case, I think.

Nice! :)

(aside: I was "focused" on another auction at almost the same time, even though the seller was frustrating me with their lack of response. Allan knows which one...).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:38 pm 

Thank you Foul: :wink:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

I did not want that freakin crook jonb to win that set. :evil:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:51 pm 

Uh... you're welcome?  :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:56 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Uh... you're welcome? :)

Sorry. :oops:  I just really do not like that guy.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:18 am 

bclarkie wrote:Thank you Foul: :wink:

Once again, why is this guy buying stuff if he supposedly is selling his dead brothers two storage sheds worth of items that he doesn't know the worth of?  At best he's a liar. At worst, he's a liar and thief.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:23 am 

Badmike wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Thank you Foul: :wink:

Once again, why is this guy buying stuff if he supposedly is selling his dead brothers two storage sheds worth of items that he doesn't know the worth of? At best he's a liar. At worst, he's a liar and thief.

Mike B.

No kidding...this guy is incredible with his "storage shed" line of crap. He's all over everything too...seems like he can't be stopped :evil:

We'll just wait for the neg feedback that's bound to come...hopefully that will do the trick...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:28 am 

harami2000 wrote:Ain't that one a pain? Impossible to guarantee which books were originally in which box!

Books and boxes should be treated separately though, IMHO, since the assembly process appears to have been done on a gradual rather than "print run" basis. (Thus, an "early" 4th- will have a fine print box, but a "later" 4th- can have a box which more closely resembles the rougher 5th print ones).

You mean that between the 4th and the 5th print runs of the boxes they have changed the printer?
You know, something like this happens when you have to print something and you don't have the original printing plates - or you have them and do a sloppy job.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:01 am 

RPGA Fist of Emirikol $40 and counting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 11854&rd=1

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:54 pm 

Looking for the Wizard's Spell Compendium set?  Here's a decent BIN price for all four:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 80083&rd=1

Those will probably go fast!

The Priest's Spell Compendium's are a bit more expensive though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 83440&rd=1

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:36 am 

Hallo shiny happy people.
Maybe You have already seen this auction, or, maybe, you're interested in ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

but I'm only asking one thing (sorry for my ignorance):
the seller says it's a "4th minus" edition (booklets) within an OCE box.
Is it possible? Such a hybrid exists?
thank you very much

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 111123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 109110111