The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:53 pm 

For those who like to be up to date with the current version: presently, german translations of the three 5e core books are available, with the PH already being sold out and due to be reprinted (and errata´ed) soon.

The spell cards (arcane, cleric, druid and so on) are scheduled (well...) for next year, as is the Starter Set. Probably in february. They were meant to be available earlier, but something apparently did not work out.

Several more books are announced, so far Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, Volos Guide to Monsters, Xanathars Guilde to Everything and Tomb of Annihilation are mentioned to be translated. All the other books are not (so far).

A decision by GF9 to not translate placenames (e.g. Waterdeep = Tiefwasser) met mostly with negative reactions, as this is seen to reduce acceptance in the products. To be honest, I don´t think that the current situation with the core rulebooks, with "Deutsche Ausgabe" (german edition) being printed in a smaller type below the original english title on the cover is a good idea, either. This is easily overlooked. (example: https://www.f-shop.de/rollenspiele/dung ... ch?c=24005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:35 pm 

stebehil wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:To be honest, I don´t think that the current situation with the core rulebooks, with "Deutsche Ausgabe" (german edition) being printed in a smaller type below the original english title on the cover is a good idea, either. This is easily overlooked. (example: https://www.f-shop.de/rollenspiele/dung ... ch?c=24005)

I'm not a big fan of this either but that's the style they've chosen for ALL of their translated editions. It takes away too much of the distinctiveness, in my opinion. That said, I'm going to buy them anyway, of course.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:35 pm 

I had the chance to talk to someone working as a freelancer for FSV in 1984/85 yesterday. Apparently, the company was a very small affair, with a handful of employees at most. FSV was also importing and distributing gaming material from the US to german retailers, which I did not know. There were D&D game clubs, to which FSV held contact, and in at least one instance, FSV organized a "Drachenfest" (obviously not be confused with the 1999 Drachenfest). In early 1984, the basic set was available and the expert set either also available or was on its way, so he told me. As a freelancer, he had no contact to TSR during his work.

The CEO of ASS and FSV, the already-mentioned Hans W(probably walter) Jany, is a German who lived in the US (Texas) for several years before taking over ASS and probably founding FSV. The person I talked to described him as being fond of Texan attributes, like wearing cowboy boots, and being eloquent and charismatic. Apparently, he moved back to Texas after ASS and FSV went down the drain, and lived in Collin County, north of Dallas.

He is reported to have changed his name in 1992 by being adopted by a german nobleman and goes now by Hans von Sachsen-Altenburg (there are reports of some kind of legal/family transaction involving the nobleman and Hans Jany and his family documented in Collin County). The last sign I found so far was a tweet from Idaho State University in 2016, where a "Prince" Hans von Sachsen-Altenburg was announced to talk to audience on Sept 28, 2016. (The title of prince is disputed, as these titles are not legal anymore. The family von Sachsen-Altenburg has died out in the male line, the noble adopting Hans was himself adopted as well in the 1930ies, and he and his descendants can legally bear the name, but of course not a - purely hypothetical - princely title.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:33 am 

[rant]
I just have to vent my frustration with the german ebay sellers at the moment, sorry if this bothers anyone. I don´t link the auctions here, lest the sellers take offense with that if they find out.

Looking at todays new offers, I came across a few offers so ridiculous I closed all windows in disgust. A number of well-used AD&D2 "complete" handbooks in their german edition ("Alles über..."), for prices from 30 up to 60 Euros each? seriously? Module B10 in admittedly very good condition (unpunched), starting price 225 Euros (250$)? What? A very battered german Expert rulebook, along with german X1, X2 and X4, all battered as well, for 49 Euros as a bundle? WTF?? But the best was an english Red Box, without dice, the box smashed, the books looking ok but used, described as "good condition" - starting price 90 Euros? ARE YOU F...ING KIDDING ME??? This would be ~100+ US-$ for a copy worth perhaps 15-20, if that. Along with that were used copies of the other english box sets (expert to master) for similar prices, the Master Set for close to 200 US-$, worth maybe 50. Hell, a 2nd Ed german DMG, well-used and looking the part, for 15 Euro starting price is too much for that.

I´m so done with guys trying to turn their trash into cash. I´m willing to pay good money for good items (and surely overpaid some throughout the years), but not for some ridiculously overpriced crap. That is what I hate the german market for - even the most common items are thought by some to be worth boatloads of money, no matter what the condition. And it seems to get worse every year. That way, collecting is decidedly un-fun.

Sorry for bothering you, but I had to get that out of my system.

[/rant]

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:39 am 

I don't want to dampen your frustration but prices are climbing on everything.  Just look at the trends in the U.S. market for older D&D items.  Demand is increasing, and supply dwindling, especially on the rarer items.  I don't expect that will change for a while.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:14 pm 

dbartman wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:I don't want to dampen your frustration but prices are climbing on everything.  Just look at the trends in the U.S. market for older D&D items.  Demand is increasing, and supply dwindling, especially on the rarer items.  I don't expect that will change for a while.

You are right, of course. Rising prices are the result of increasing demand and dwindling supply, and in a more general sense, of inflation and everything. But there is a difference between the inevitable price increase to be expected from these market mechanisms and the attempt to rip people off, as I see these "offers". And I´ve seen asking prices way beyond the original prices for items from 3e as well, even for very common items like Players Handbooks. Oh well - I guess I will just buy less stuff in the future, which is not an altogether bad thing anyway.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:29 pm 

It seems that I seriously underestimated the prices paid these days for original german D&D material. I just lost a bid for a "Drachen" 1 (the preliminary issue), it went for 45,50 Euros (~ 54 US-$). Even 3e stuff is rising sharply if german, I recently saw the german version of the FR Underdark book (Underdark (3.5) - Wizards of the Coast | Dungeons & Dragons 3.x | Forgotten Realms 3.x | Dungeons & Dragons 3.x | Forgotten Realms | Dungeon Masters Guild) go for 72 Euros. The 3.0 adventures (the series starting with The Sunless Citadel) sell for 15-20 Euro apiece, sometimes more.

The 80ies stuff seems to be generally somewhat lower priced, strangely enough (with exceptions, of course). The 2nd Ed. "Complete" series commands high prices, due to small print runs, I guess. But sometimes, things go for low prices - just got a shrinkwrapped AD&D2 Starter Set from Amigo Spiele, 1998, for a whole 10 Euros +shipping. I think I will post pictures of some shrinkwrapped items here in the next few days, to show what Amigo shrinkwrap looks like. So far, I did not manage to get any FSV items in original shrink.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:51 am 

stebehil wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:The 80ies stuff seems to be generally somewhat lower priced, strangely enough (with exceptions, of course).

This has been my experience with a LOT of non-US materials. Typically, the BECMI/2nd edition items are harder to find but command lower prices than 3E and even 4E books. I'm not sure if that has to do with lower print runs, popularity, a combination of both or other factors.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:07 pm 

I just found an ad in an old german gaming magazine (Fantasywelt #27, Spring 1990). The Games-In store in Munich advertises that they took over the complete production line from FSV, and are selling the FSV stuff. Apparently, they took the whole stock still at FSV when the company went crashing down. The storefront is closed these days, but the owner still sells old stock via ebay and his own store homepage. Games-In is one of the oldest game stores/publisher in germany.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:11 pm 

stebehil wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:I just found an ad in an old german gaming magazine (Fantasywelt #27, Spring 1990). The Games-In store in Munich advertises that they took over the complete production line from FSV, and are selling the FSV stuff. Apparently, they took the whole stock still at FSV when the company went crashing down. The storefront is closed these days, but the owner still sells old stock via ebay and his own store homepage. Games-In is one of the oldest game stores/publisher in germany.

Wow!  When i worked in Munich it was my favourite place to visit!
There were colums of TSR book/ modules still in shrink... Sadly the owner was a particular gentleman: you couldnt look at these piles of stuff because they were not checked by him (and he had no time to do that)... However it was a store plenty of goodies and i got from the owner (despite the fact he didnt speak english) that he had a warehouse in Dachau with many more goodies...  Sadly that store is closed now...
Ciaoo

Ps if you want some more details or stories i am happy to reply to any question!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:36 pm 

Yeah, the owner has quite a reputation for being choleric, and overall a peculiar guy. I haven´t met him personally, though. HE does not only own the shop, but also did publish some rpg stuff, like 7th sea in german, and some odd german rpg products (the "Saga" line, a semi-professional line of rpg source books, "Ruf des Warlock", a german fantasy rpg, and "Power, Plüsch & Plunder", a rpg in which you play an animated stuffed animal, whose mortal enemies are Ken and Barbie...)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:43 pm 

I just had a lenghty phone talk with the owner of Games-In. According to his account, he opened up his first shop in 1977, and imported TSR stuff early on, even before TSR expanded. He was somehow involved with FSV, and he said that the people working there had no clue what they were doing at all, and that there were only very few people working there at all for FSV. He helped them along in an not quite clear capacity. When the company went down the drain, he bought all their RPG inventory and stored it in a warehouse he expressly rented for that purpose. According to his tale, they sent him several truckloads worth of material, the german BECM boxes and modules by the thousands. He said that this was about 25+ tons of materials - given the weight of an individual module, this would have been quite an inventory. (and costing him a six-figure number).

Apparently, he sold most of the boxes to another retailer relatively fast afterwards, and regrets not having kept a few hundred. Apparently, he also acquired stuff (the archive?) from TSR UK, and on at least one occasion, went to the US to talk to Lorraine Williams. He is quite an energetic man, despite being of somewhat advanced age (I´m not sure how old exactly, but I´d guess in his seventies), and having had a bad accident a few years back. (He also visited Avalon Hill way back when, and apparently somebody there had german ancestors and spoke at least some german). He is a hands-on guy, on several occasions he bought games, paid in cash and loaded them into his car trailer. From talking to him, I can imagine him being a energetic, even jumpy type with his hands in many pies.

His bavarian accent and his habit of changing topics rapidly made it a bit hard to follow, but the man is a font of lore on RPGs in germany, especially the people involved and the development of the scene. Furthermore, he still has considerable stock of old german (and probably international) RPG products, he told me he has boxes in his storehouse not opened for decades and no clue what´s inside...

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:00 pm 

I always wanted to ask him to visit his warehouse but since i dont speak german i never tried to ask him... That warehouse is likely to be the nirvana for an EU collector!

I do confirm that he had tons of AH and german rpgs... I saw a lot of adnd 1e modules in german for sale at 5-10 euro each...

Btw about his age,  i believe he is close to the 80s now...

Ciaoo

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:05 pm 

"Power, Plüsch & Plunder", a rpg in which you play an animated stuffed animal, whose mortal enemies are Ken and Barbie...)"

I have got to get that!

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:21 pm 

aia wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:That warehouse is likely to be the nirvana for an EU collector!

I guess so!

You might be right about his age. Considering he opened up his shop 40 years ago, and likely wasn´t 20 at that time, he could easily be 80 by now. Perhaps I´ll ask him next time.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:45 pm 

I don´t quite recall where I read it, but I seem to recall that Gary Gygax stated that they could have done a german translation of D&D earlier than 1983, but a friend of his from Switzerland declined the offer to do a translation. Today, I had a look at Strategic Review and found that a guy called Walter Luc Haas from Basel is given as european retailer besides Games Workshop. I guess this would have been the guy. Apparently, this guy was a huge wargame fan, and published some sort of wargaming magazine (in english) back in the 70ies, focusing on Diplomacy. I found one newsletter digitalized here: Europa 6-8 : Walter Luc Haas : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive D&D is mentioned extensively. I did not look into that any closer, but there might be some new information in there. He had to have contacts early on, as this magazine is from 1975, and mentions that "D&D is getting more and more popular". Now, if he did a translations early on, there might have been a different history to the game. Walter Luc Haas died in 2001.

EDIT: Well, the passage I thought of is from an interview I summarized earlier in this thread. Gygax stated that they could have had a german translation five years earlier (speaking from 1984), if said swiss friend would have made the translation.

Last edited by stebehil on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:05 pm 

I just made a snapshot of part of one page from the aforementioned magazine, which contains a short description of the dungeons beneath Castle Greyhawk by Gary Gygax. I guess that this is nothing new, but interestingly, this was distributed, if on a small scale, in Europe at that time (1975).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:34 am 

blackdougal wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:.

Some time ago, probably between 10-15 years, I was buying a LOT of German stuff, mostly from Uwe Siebel.  

Just today, I got an E-Mail from Uwe Siebel. Apparently, he wants to sell his collection, and sets up a webshop for this purpose. He thinks that this will take months of even years to complete. He sent out an E-Mail to all folks he had contact with in the past (he writes "in the 90ies", but I think it might have been later). So, I guess this will be an expensive time to come...

PreviousNext