The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:38 am 

In an obituary for Ulrich Kiesow (mentioned above, he died in 1997) it is made clear that he and his brother-in-law Werner Fuchs (who wrote it) played a big role in getting rpgs and tabletops to Germany. Apparently, those two started one of the very first mail order shops for tabletop miniatures, wargames and rpgs, in addition to fantastic literature of all kinds. This was in 1977, the Fantastic Shop, today still active as f-shop. They had contacts into the developing scene, probably to the UK and then to the US, which indeed led to TSR asking them to help find a publisher in 1983. In that year, they together with Hans Joachim Alpers founded Fantastic Productions, FanPro for short, one of the most successful german rpg publishers. They ended doing rpgs in 2012. They are probably best known for holding the international licences for BattleTech and Shadowrun from 2001-2007, and Das Schwarze Auge from 1997 to 2007. At the height of their business, in 2004, they are said to have had 12 regular employees, along with freelancers. So much for the size of the german rpg market...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:31 pm 

Well, this is a strange bit of information. According to a note in Zauberzeit 19, cover date october 1989, TSR sued the former international manager Andre Moullin. He was accused of corruption, fraud and embezzlement. He was said to have made a deal with Shinwa corporation: for the exclusive rights to TSR products in Japan, they supposedly gave him one quarter of the profit made between 1984 and June 1989. TSR sued him for over 600,000$. A day after that information, another information reached the Zauberzeit team: Andre Moullin was the sole representant for FASAs licences from Sept. 5, 1989 onward, according to Morton Weisman from FASA. (they write "Lizenzen und Interessen", where I wonder if they maybe translated interest too literal.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:23 pm 

Today, I read that the "Drache" was printed in 10,000 copies per issue, or that this was at least planned.

The deal with Schmidt Spiele apparently fell through because TSR demanded a share in profits of 25% of the sales prices, which was too high for the Schmidt Spiele CEO, who told the folks from TSR to lower their demands or "be blown off the market". This ended the negotiations and led to the formation of FSV as a subsidiary of ASS AG, who happened to be a competitor of Schmidt Spiele anyways.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:52 am 

I have just bought two German basic sets which seem to be different. As soon as I get them, I'll compare  8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:54 am 

stebehil wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:Well, this is a strange bit of information. According to a note in Zauberzeit 19, cover date october 1989, TSR sued the former international manager Andre Moullin. He was accused of corruption, fraud and embezzlement. He was said to have made a deal with Shinwa corporation: for the exclusive rights to TSR products in Japan, they supposedly gave him one quarter of the profit made between 1984 and June 1989. TSR sued him for over 600,000$. A day after that information, another information reached the Zauberzeit team: Andre Moullin was the sole representant for FASAs licences from Sept. 5, 1989 onward, according to Morton Weisman from FASA. (they write "Lizenzen und Interessen", where I wonder if they maybe translated interest too literal.)

This is really interesting. Would it be possible to get  a scan of the note and a complete translation in English? I'll post it on our Dungeon Master Magazine blog with proper credit to you of course. Our blog is here: Dungeon Master Magazine

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:57 am 

Alexander wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:I have just bought two German basic sets which seem to be different. As soon as I get them, I'll compare  8)

Did you buy them via german ebay? I had seen an auction offering two sets and the module B4, I think, which ended recently.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:00 pm 

Alexander wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:
stebehil wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:Well, this is a strange bit of information. According to a note in Zauberzeit 19, cover date october 1989, TSR sued the former international manager Andre Moullin. He was accused of corruption, fraud and embezzlement. He was said to have made a deal with Shinwa corporation: for the exclusive rights to TSR products in Japan, they supposedly gave him one quarter of the profit made between 1984 and June 1989. TSR sued him for over 600,000$. A day after that information, another information reached the Zauberzeit team: Andre Moullin was the sole representant for FASAs licences from Sept. 5, 1989 onward, according to Morton Weisman from FASA. (they write "Lizenzen und Interessen", where I wonder if they maybe translated interest too literal.)

This is really interesting. Would it be possible to get  a scan of the note and a complete translation in English? I'll post it on our Dungeon Master Magazine blog with proper credit to you of course. Our blog is here: Dungeon Master Magazine

Yes, I can do that. I had seen your blog a few days ago, and regretted not speaking italian ;-)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:07 pm 

stebehil wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:Did you buy them via german ebay? I had seen an auction offering two sets and the module B4, I think, which ended recently.

That was me  8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:12 pm 

stebehil wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:Yes, I can do that. I had seen your blog a few days ago, and regretted not speaking italian ;-)

Our blog has articles in Italian and English because most of our readers are outside Italy and many articles are so 'hardest of the hardcore gamer and collector' that writing them in Italian would be, well, pointless (Italians interested in such obscure matters should read English, so...).

I will send you a PM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:29 pm 

Alexander wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:
stebehil wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:Did you buy them via german ebay? I had seen an auction offering two sets and the module B4, I think, which ended recently.

That was me  8)

Well, if you want to get rid of that module by any chance, we might work something out  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:59 pm 

EDIT: My post was, after rereading it a few days later, too close to libeling for my own taste, so I chose to delete the original text.  :oops: Sorry if I offended somebody in any way.

Last edited by stebehil on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:12 pm 

Apparently, the CEO of ASS and FSV, Hans W. Jany, is an alumni of the Thunderbird School of Global Management, Arizona. This is stated by the former editor of Drache on his private blog. Thunderbird School of Global Management - Wikipedia
I happened upon a publication by Thunderbird from 1978, wherein he is listed in the class of 75, and said to have stopped by on his way to China, now (in 1978) working for Owens-Corning. How he came to take over ASS AG five years later might be an interesting story, but I have no clue how to get that information.
EDIT: On a 1984 Thunderbird Reunion in Europe, Hans Jany is cited to have given each couple two decks of playing cards with the Thunderbird Logo - this proves beyond doubt that this is the same Hans Jany.

On a related note, I recently tried to find out if any documents from FSV might still be around, but all potential sources have denied that there is any material archived (if they answered at all). It is highly probable that all company documents were destroyed after the mother company went bankrupt in 1996.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:57 am 

The article is online: Dungeon Master Magazine: TSR Inc Sued André Moullin For Bribery About Licensing Rights In 1989

Thanks again Stefan  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 am 

Well, take it with a grain of salt. I have not found anything pointing to the outcome of said lawsuit, so perhaps there was really nothing behind it. I have read that TSR was quite generous with lawsuits sometimes...
EDIT: Still, it is an interesting item of TSR history, however it came to be.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:36 am 

Regarding translations, I just found this post:
Time, Print Runs and Editions • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

ExTSR wrote in Time, Print Runs and Editions:I worked closely with Andre Moullin, TSR's VP International, in planning and executing the translations of my boxed sets and in selecting adventures to be done with 'em. My first wife Penny (Petticord then, and now Mrs. Ralph 'Skip' Williams), personally checked a lot of the German translations (due to her background in chemistry and multilingual fluency), and caught a lot of glitches.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:15 pm 

It was announced today that gale force 9 will be responsible for localized versions of D&D5:
Announcing Localized D&D Fifth Edition Products | Dungeons & Dragons

Quote: The first translations will be French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Polish, and Portuguese, with more to follow.

According to the gale force 9 website, they will have partners for the translations, with the german partner being Ulisses Spiele, who are responsible for the german Pathfinder as well. http://www.gf9.com/

I honestly did not think that the translation would happen at all.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:37 am 

I just noticed an item missing in the Acaeums Foreign Edition Master List: The german "New Dungeons & Dragons Game" from 1991.
rollenspiel-info.de It has the code TSR 1070G.
It seems to be identical to the 16th print, as the rulebook bears the gold angled logo. I don´t have the item yet, but seen this on a photo. I will post photos ASAP, probably next sunday if all goes well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:35 am 

I got the TSR1070G box this past weekend. I think it is indeed identical to the 16th print of the basic set.
THe contents are identical to those described for the 16th print, with the poster missing (this might have been taken out, however). The rulebook has 96 pages (and interestingly, has a magic-user class without any spell slot at first level...). The DMs screen has red borders and a pocket for the cardboard sheets. It contains the floor plan, the fold-up counters and a set of dice. It is stated on the box bottom that it is printed in the USA, copyright 1991, 1992.

Attachment:
IMG_1706.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_1708.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PreviousNext