The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:43 pm 

Good cover! Was there ever an English equivalent? I think I recognise the art but I can’t place it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:03 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:Good cover! Was there ever an English equivalent? I think I recognise the art but I can’t place it.

Nope, no English equivalent. It's a straight 2nd edition update of Tomb of Horrors. The cover was reused from the Ravenloft supplement Van Richten's Guide to the Ancient Dead.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:08 pm 

blackdougal wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:
Nope, no English equivalent. It's a straight 2nd edition update of Tomb of Horrors. The cover was reused from the Ravenloft supplement Van Richten's Guide to the Ancient Dead.

So ripe for fan translation then if one could get ahold of a copy. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:13 pm 

dbartman wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:I would expect these to sell for much more eventually, once people realize their rarity.  There aren't many foreign products that were limited to 1000 copies, especially with Gary Gygax's signature.  This product is also uniquely different than its counterparts in other countries.

Not sure about the print run size. Some of the regular german Pathfinder Adventure Path books were printed in quantities about 1000 or even less. Some Limited Editions books were only printed a few hundred times.

There apparently was a small number of surplus copies of Gruft des Grauens, supposedly given to staff or other folks, that are unsigned. These are way rarer than the signed ones.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:17 pm 

Currently, the legal fight between GF9 and Wizards has brought all translations to a stop. At least one german translation is at Wizards, awaiting its release to be printed - but nothing happens. Other translations are not given green light currently to be continued.

I read a passing note that on the Nuremberg Game Fair 1988, when the german "Oriental Adventures" was cancelled, that there were plans to translate B10 Nights Dark Terror. Sadly, it never came to that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:34 am 

Today, the german translation of Shannon Appleclines "Designers&Dragons" books finally arrived. The translation was crowdfunded two and half years ago, and had quite some trouble in the meantime. At some point, it looked as if the project would die completely. But the Uhrwerk Verlag, a small RPG publisher, did the impossible and brought it to a good end. They had already sent the pdfs out to the backers, but having the physical books is even better (of course).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:48 pm 

So, "Sturmkönigs Donner" and the Eberron book are available now in German.

A very sad news: the Games-In mailorder will close business. The store was closed for several weeks recently due to illness, and now the homepage states that they will terminate business. In fact, as of now, it is already effectively terminated. I don´t know what happened, but from what I learned about the owner, he is not the guy to stop his business unless he really has no other option.

Another sidetrack: There is a german fantasy RPG called Midgard (Did I mention this upthread?). The authors did write the first draft, so to speak, in the late 70ies (1977/78) and distributed it to their gaming group. The inspiration was said to be a game of D&D a member of their tabletop/war gaming group brought to a convention in 1977. With their own game, they tried to create a translation of sorts of the Empire of the Petal Throne RPG they acquired via Walter Luc Haas, the swiss wargaming author/games distributor. The game was (self-)published to the general audience in 1981 (in digest-sized books, german DIN A 5 format), probably with small print runs, and republished as 2nd edition in a more professional outfit in 1985 (two full-size books, DIN A 4 - roughly letter-sized, color soft covers), and again in 1989/90 (3rd edition), this time in a box (well, not that surprising....) containing three stapled booklets, a DMs screen and a world map. The game is developed slowly, and is in its 5th edition since 2013, with the 4th edition having been in print since 2001. It has a smallish but persistent fanbase and a low number of publication, owing to the fact the the autors (still the same as in 1977) do most of it in their spare time, and like it that way.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm 

I wish i were German for this... I love this kind of games! It is a pity that i do not speak German, i would otherwise collect each and every item of midgard!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:17 pm 

Any relation to Kobold Games Midgard Campaign Setting for 5E, or just coincidental use of the name?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:28 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:Any relation to Kobold Games Midgard Campaign Setting for 5E, or just coincidental use of the name?

Sorry, didn´t look at this thread for quite a while. No, no relation at all. Midgard is, of course, the old norse name for the world of humans in the Edda, and so, it is not surprising that it is used in RPGs at more than one instance.

In other news, it was announced today that Wizards will do the translations themselves from now on, so far for the german, french, spanish and italian translations. The books will show the country flag on the spine in the new editions, and they will bring out reworked/corrected versions of books already published, starting this fall.

So, I guess "Aus dem Abyss" I bought today will probably be the last book by GF9.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 am 

An ebay auction with a small german Basic D&D collection ended yesterday. It contained the Basic, Expert and Companion set, looking complete from the pictures, even containing the original dice, some of them not even colored, six adventures (B1, B2, E1, E2, E3 and ES2) and two issues of Drache (2 and 4). My guess is that the Drache come from the boxed sets, and E1 from the Expert Set. The boxes were battered, the contents looked good, the modules quite good as well. Overall, judging from the photos, I´d say the modules and rule booklets are in the FN, some in VF range, some modules maybe VG. The boxes looked GD at best. The whole collection sold for 201 Euros, which is actually a good price for the whole collection, I´d say. Sold separately, the prices will probably be higher. Especially the german B1 Hügel des Grauens is rarely offered in my perception. I saved the pictures used in the auction.

(I did not bid on that collection. My shelves can carry only so many doubles, to say nothing of my wallet....)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:42 pm 

Wizards of the Coast are doing the translations themselves now. As of today, the core rulebooks and the essentials kit are available in german, or will be shortly. The Essentials kit is named "Basisset". The books cost 10 Euros less than before. They stated that there probably won´t be a reprint of the Ulisses/GF9 translations other than the core rulebooks, so if you want to collect those, better hurry up!

In other news, watching ebay auctions, prices are on the rise, it seems "Das Große Buch der D&D-Regeln" (Rules Cyclopedia) sold for 130 Euros, B11 for 51, B12 for 61, DDA3 for 71 and DDA4 for 79. OTOH, a "Zeit der Kaiser" Box (Dawn of Emperors) sold for only 35 Euros.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:41 am 

A new record in asking prices: A signed copy of "Gruft des Grauens" (#439) is offered on ebay for 500 Euro minimum bid.
I started collecting information on the numbered copies, but with very limited success so far. I have a dozen copies noted so far, with at least three of them still with their original owners.

I started a website on the history of german RPGs a while back, and did a quick & dirty translation today: Dungeons & Dragons in Germany – english version – Geschichte des Rollenspiels If there are errors or expressions that are strange (and may result from translating something verbatim, when it should not be), please let me know. I omitted a few links, leading to german pages only.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:47 am 

Fair warning: there are fake translations appearing from time to time on ebay germany. There seem to be folks who translate hitherto untranslated books (for D&D3.5 so far, AFAIK) that are well-made, hardcover, official-looking layout and - judging from the photos - in a reasonable good quality. Currently, I noticed an epic-level handbook, a draconomicon and a book of vile darkness from one seller. This seller is asking a hefty instant-buy price (89 Euro), but currently, the bids seem to top out at 30 Euros. Collectors beware! These (well-made) fakes are easily recognizable, as they miss any bar code or publisher information on the backside.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:58 am 

Quite some time has passed since the last time I posted something...

I recently acquired a relatively rare piece of german D&D history: the D&D-Bund Nachrichten (newsletter) Ausgabe 1, 10/84. Even though entitled Ausgabe 1 (Issue #1), to my knowledge, this is the only issue ever. The D&D-Bund was the official D&D club, somewhat managed by FSV. Is has eight pages, stapled, no cover and starts with the title page shown. It is an editorial for the newsletter. The newsletter contains some news, rules questions, a short dungeon adventure, a short story and the invitation to a monster creation contest. The back page has a form for membership in the D&D-Bund, and promises a ID card, a membership button, a membership certificate and four issues of the newsletter. I´ve never seen any of those items apart from this newsletter. The artwork is from Heidi Koch, whom I assume worked for FSV/ASS at that time. She was also responsible for similar artwork in "Drache". The cover price, 2 DM, seems quite steep for these few pages, seeing that the "Drache" did cost only 4 DM.

I bought this newsletter with a few surplus issues of "Drache" and two fanzines named "Druidenpost", the latter being an explicit D&D Fanzine that ran three issues in all (I own all three). If stuff like this is interesting, I could write on that too. I wrote about it in german on my homepage, there is a picture as well: Druidenpost – Geschichte des Rollenspiels

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:26 am 

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting! The first language I learned other than English was Norwegian and for years, I tried to get the Norwegian D&D books (including on trips back to Norway). Finally got the original basic set book on Ebay erroneously posted as 'German D&D book.' Learning Norwegian has given me a rudimentary understanding of German as there are lots of similar words. I may be posted to Austria in the next few years, so very interested in German, Dutch and Scandinavian D&D works.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:13 am 

I don´t think that Noble Knight Games will be able to sell it for that way too high price. IMO, it is worth a tenth of that, at most (which would be still way more than what I would pay, my limit for that would be around 200 Euro)
I wonder how this made its way into the US in the first place.
Attachment:
Absurder Preis 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:38 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Is that a realistic price? (The answer is already  in the previous post however this is the 2nd auction with more than 3k euro of Bin...)

PreviousNext