The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:38 pm 

Just won a bid on ebay for the german Rules Cyclopedia. Interestingly, the second-highest bidder apparently had his last bid at 77 Euro (I won at 78), which is the acaeum value given for a "fine" copy, which is about the grade I´d assume for the book, judging from the picture. So maybe someone took that value and bid on that in Euro... When I get it, I´ll scan it, as I just noticed that a scan is missing on the Acaeum.

EDIT: Got it today. The english and the german copy side by side. The german edition is 120 pages longer, for whatever reason, and the tables and page headers are in bright yellow, not a subdued green.
Attachment:
20180712_170149sml.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:26 am 

Just yesterday, my FLGS recieved copies of the German edition of the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.

Also available should be the spell reference cards and a DMs screen, along with the rulebooks and the Tomb of Annihilation, and the starter set.

Volos, Xanathars and Mordenkainens are announced, the first two might become available this year (but don´t hold your breath).
A 3rd print of the PH is announced as well, as is a second print of the German Tomb of Annihilation. The two current Waterdeep adventures are announced as well. In terms of additional material, the monster reference and item reference cards are announced and a map set for ToA. Most of these are announced for next year.

The backlist of adventures up to Tales of the Yawning Portal will probably not get translated, as they are hard pressed to keep up with the new stuff.

Overall, the translations are still appearing in an agonizing slow trickle.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:42 am 

kuronons shot me a question about the jigsaws we discussed earlier and added the FSV stock numbers. He has posted this here:
Kuronons': D&D jigsaw puzzles definitive list
Apparently, the classic Elmore dragon from the 83 basic box has 8548/3, and the rainbow dragon has 8561/6. Now, his question was as to the publication date of the jigsaws. As these show the dragon logo, they should have been published c. 1985 at earliest. I am thinking about trying to put a list together of publication dates and stock numbers, to see if there is any correlation. Seeing that the first two rulesets, several of the basic modules and the accessories have a "low" stock no., this might be something at the beginning, but I guess that the picture gets muddy fast. The first two digits are definitly not the publication year.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:48 pm 

For those wanting to keep track of german 5e books:
PH 2nd print, MM and DMG 3rd print are readily available. The starter box is awaiting 3rd print, 2nd sold out.
SCAG is available, as is Xanathars. Tomb of Annihilation is in 2nd print already.
Volos should be out soon, probably in march.
Afterwards, the two Waterdeep books are in the works, and Ulisses announced that they will do the backlist, starting with Curse of Strahd. Mordenkainens is postponed, as this is viewed as higher-level material.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:00 am 

Some new background information I recently had the joy to get told: I had the chance to interview Uwe Körner - the name probably won´t ring a bell, but if you happen to have any german D&D items in your collection, from the 80ies up to 3.0, his name might appear as translator or editor - on quite a lot of products.

He encountered D&D for the first time in 1979 or 80, with the blue (I assume Holmes) rulebook and "Into the Unknown" in a shop in Cologne. A few years later, 1982 or 83, there was a fantasy con in a smaller town, where one guy showed the red box, but did nothing with it, and garnered no interest. Uwe talked to him, and finally offered to DM a session, and the table was crowded afterwards.

He started early on to work for FSV, authoring pieces for the "Drache" and translating quite a lot of material, in collaboration with other translators. The AD&D MM was translated by another person, but so badly that and he another guy translated it again on short notice on FSVs request...

The german AD&D DMG was first sold with a spectacularly bad translated Appendix K, and as his name was listed as a translator, he distanced himself from this disaster. The story goes like this: Apparently, several translations were not paid, and nothing was happening in that regard. He sent in the translation of Appendix K, and it was lost somewhere on the way - twice. He refused to send it again until his payment arrived, which did not happen. It seems like somebody translated the text anew on the fly, consulting a well-known english-german dictionary, and picking the very first translation appearing after the english words - in case of "torch", it was "Taschenlampe", meaning an electrical torch. Of course, it should have been "Fackel", which in german is the "burning stick". FSV reprinted the DMG shortly after the first print run, and did a separate print of the faulty appendix.

In 1984, he and several others thought that a RPG magazine might be a good idea, and they started the "Fantasywelt". The first issue, actually a pre-issue, was handed out at Essen Games Fair, but contained so many errors that it turned into a laughing stock, leading Uwe and his companions to collect that issue back again and scrapping it. This has been a very rare collectors item ever since (I had never heard of it before). The actual Fantasywelt #1 contained a b/w map for the german FRP "Das Schwarze Auge", which was very new in 1984 as well, and the source of that map is a well-kept secret. The makers of "Das Schwarze Auge" wondered ever since where that leak was... The magazine was a success, and ran for 11 years and 42 issues, AFAIK. After that, he started over with the german Dragon, with 17 issues over roughly ten years.

On the Nuremberg Games Fair in 1984, when german D&D and the already mentioned Das Schwarze Auge first went public, the CEO of FSV, Hans Jany, had an "interesting" idea how to raise the success of D&D: He had the title of the Module B1 replaced with the words "Das Schwarze Auge", meant to suggest that everything his competitors had, they had in only one Module. Needless to say, the competitors were less than pleased when the found out...

On the same game fair, Gary Gygax himself was always accompanied by two fair hostesses all the time. Uwe thought this amusing and telling. Uwe remarked that he did not see Gary as a purely innocent victim in the later troubles.

Uwe added a few ideas to Das Schwarze Auge as well, showing just how close and small the RPG "scene" and market was at that time.

FSV came crashing down in 1988. The second Edition was in the making, and TSR UK, specifically the managing Director Malcolm Mitchell, asked Uwe if he could organize a translation. Uwe and one of his compatriots from the Fantasywelt magazine founded the Fantasywelt GmbH ("Limited") and Uwe went to work full time for his company. He did not do many translations in that time, rather handing that job over to faster translators, but was editor and oversaw the print setup of the books. The translated Players Handbook was checked by a Goethe Institut in England, probably Cambridge, and came back with an accuracy quote of 94-96%. This shocked Uwe, who wanted it to be perfect, until he was told that any quote over 90% is excellent (akin to an A-grade in the US, AFAICT). The German AD&D2 items were managed by Uwe, until TSR crashed.

Afterwards, as we all know, Wizards took over. Wizards already had a german partner, Amigo Spiele, so they were to print and distribute D&D as well. Uwe was still involved. I asked why Amigo chose to distribute the game in a number of boxes. The german gaming market at that point was quite conservative overall (talking about the late 1990ies), and to the distributors and vendors, a game had to come out of a box. Period. (Never mind that the game had been sold in books for 10 years at that point...). So, Uwe made sure that at least the content was cut into somewhat logical individual boxes and booklets....

He was involved up to the translation of D&D 3.0. When 3.5 was coming, they did not ask him anymore to provide his services - maybe an oversight by somebody. At that time, he earned money with translations of computer games, like Baldur´s Gate 2.

He did point out that all the people he came across in the gaming industry were without exception very friendly, nice and professional towards him. After talking to him, I think this is because he himself comes across as a very friendly and nice guy, interested and open minded. (Thanks, Uwe! In case you are reading this.)

He alluded to several instances where people with psychological problems, namely depression, inadvertedly caused a lot of trouble for other people in the gaming industry and scene.
I just want to add the following: As this is still not seen as a "real" disorder even today by some, please take care and take folks serious if you happen to notice things like these. Too many lives have been lost already...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:08 am 

A very nice read after revisiting the site. Thanks stebehil !

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:24 am 

Howdy, question for stebehil: i found this MERP item and couldnt find any title in english which is from... Is it possibile that this book is german and has no original MERP title?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:19 am 

aia, sorry, didn´t revisit the forum in quite a while. It points to a trademarked "Northwestern Middle Earth Gazetteer" on the back cover, so this might be the original book. This would be that one here, I guess: Northwestern Middle-earth Gazetteer - Tolkien Gateway
The publisher exists to this day, but AFAIK, does not do any RPG anymore. They "inherited" the RPG stuff from the bankrupt Laurin publisher of Hamburg in 1993, who was earlier known as Citadel, but was renamed to avoid confusion (and legal troubles) with Citadel from UK. So, there are MERS/RM products with the Citadel imprint, the Laurin imprint and the Queen games imprint in german.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:34 am 

Ulisses recently announced that they want to publish the whole backlist ASAP.
Curse of Strahd is announced for June, 27, and is already in their warehouse.
And they will try to publish the new books as soon as possible. Saltmarsh is probably already available in August.
They aim to publish Dragon Queen, Tiamat, Mordenkainen and Apocalypse this year - one book a month. Quite ambitious.
They also want to publish the Baldurs Gate and the Eberron book ASAP, the former probably this year, the latter next year.
Several books and card sets are getting reprinted, in case of the PH it is the fifth reprint already.

From these announcements and the admittedly anecdotal reports by my FLGS, D&D5 in German seems to be selling like hot cake. The FLGS was even "forced" to sell her shop copy of the German MM, as there were no more copies available.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:39 pm 

Ugh, I'm getting behind... haven't picked up any new German stuff since Tomb of Annihilation. Guess I better get on it!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:54 am 

Current developments:

On a sidenote, there is currently a preorder running for the translation of Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classic system. I ordered it, of course:
System Matters: Dungeon Crawl Classics Vorbestellung

The guys at Ulisses were halfway done with the Tyranny of Dragons translation, when the news hit that there will be an updated version of that campaign. For now, they held the work on that and try to find out if the can do the updated version instead. Preorders have been put on hold for the time being.

Strahd is already available. Mordenkainen, Saltmarsh and Princes of the Apocalypse will probably be available later this year. Work on Descent to Avernus has begun.

And they will translate Pathfinder 2nd Edition as well, of course.

A very troublesome development hit the Uhrwerk Verlag, a smaller, but very active RPG publisher, doing translations (of numenera, for example) and their own games (Splittermond). They run into serious financial trouble and had to file for insolvency. The latest news was that they had to lay off most people working for them, but they still try to regain their footing. The german RPG scene would be poorer if this publisher would vanish, to say nothing of the current incarnation of Feder & Schwert, a publisher of fantasy novels these days, who is closely connected.
They are the force behind a kickstarter to translate the "Designers & Dragons" books - if this is being realized is completely open at this point.

And regarding ebay auctions, a copy of "Das große Buch der D&D-Regeln" (the Rules Cyclopedia) recently was sold for 89 Euro. I have no indication towards its quality, but it was a used copy. This one isn´t getting any cheaper, it seems.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:05 pm 

Latest in Print Runs: The german PH is available in its 6th print already, and the 7th print is ordered - two days after the 6th was in, it was practically sold out via preorder. The 6th supposedly contains errata, while the 7th will be identical to 6th.
The first print run was 3.000 copies of each book, subsequent print runs, at least up to 4., were 2.000 each. (I asked for newer numbers).

The other two core books are in their 3th print run, AFAIK. So, that would be 13.000 PH, and 7.000 of DMG and MM. IIRC, the german Pathfinder core rulebook had around 10.000 copies overall since first translated (2010 or 11, IIRC), and was seen as a huge success in reaching 10.000+ copies. So, D&D apparently sells like the proverbial hot cake in Germany.

Xanathars and Tomb of Annihilation both have a 2nd print run available currently, and the Starter Set at least 3rd.

Ghosts of Saltmarch should be available in the end of September in German, which is quite fast, considering that it has been available since summer. And it will be the first-ever official Greyhawk book in German.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:22 pm 

Got a shrinkwrapped "Ausbau Set" today (german Companion Set), the box is slightly dented inwards from being stacked away a long time, but I guess the contents are brand new. 40 Euros seemed a fair price for that. And a "Drache Nr. 6" for 10 Euros, NM I´d say.

I heard today of somebody offering the 1999 "Gruft des Grauens" (Tomb of Horrors) by Amigo Spiele signed by Gary Gygax (as most of this limited Edition was, printrun was 1.000 copies) for 250 Euros. That is too much IMO. I´m not prepared to pay more than 100-150 for that one.

In other news, Saltmarsh is announced for end of October now. The new Essentials box probably won´t get localized versions, according to Ulisses Spiele.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:54 am 

These have just been listed if anybody is interested.  Price seems ok?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:02 pm 

simonmwh wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:These have just been listed if anybody is interested.  Price seems ok?

Depends. There are no reliable price notations on German items afaik. I had the chance to buy a few shrinkwrapped modules fairly recently for really low prices (german veiled society, rahasia and castle amber for 13 Euro each). Relating to that, 20 or even 28 $ seems a bit high. But then, it is always somewhat easier to get a hold of stuff in their country of origin, so the prices seem to be ok, given that most german items probably had just one print run (afaict), and the supply is dwindling. But that seems to differ wildly. Getting Horror on the Hill took me years, and the Lost City was also hard to get, whereas I have two B2 and three B3, which are offered more often. E1 seems to be plentyful, as it was available separately from the Experten Set.
The later stuff (B7, B8, and especially B11 and B12, also DDA3 and DDA4) are harder to get and more expensive.
I compare the prices to the same items in english on the acaeum main site, and I think this should be ok, generally speaking.

Oh, and by the way: "Geister von Salzmarsch" is officially available by now. Got a copy waiting in my FLGS, but had to take Tyranny of Dragons today.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:02 am 

I compare the prices to the same items in english on the acaeum main site, and I think this should be ok, generally speaking

I guess they should be around the same price.  I'm assuming there are rarer but then less in demand.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:25 pm 

simonmwh wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:
I guess they should be around the same price.  I'm assuming there are rarer but then less in demand.

That is my take on that matter as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:37 am 

So, D&D5 is still a success in Germany.
Starter set is in its 4th print run, MM and DMG as well, with the PHB being in 7th. SCAG and Xanathars have reached 2nd print run. ToA 3rd. The Spell cards are finally available as well.

EDIT: Michael from Ulisses just stated that the PH is nearing 18,000 copies within three years, and that it sells better than anything else they offer. So, you get an idea just how small the German RPG market is in comparison. Basic rulebooks rarely sell better than a 1000 copies, Michael said. (I remember that it was quite a milestone when the Pathfinder rulebook reached 10,000 copies). When the German RPG Das Schwarze Auge first came out, the print runs used to be 5-digit, back in the 80ies. The times, they are a´changin...  

Ulisses Spiele stated that they want to get the rest of the backlist translated and onto the market in 2020, with Baldurs Gate, Tyranny of Dragons, Out of the Abyss, Princes of the Apocalypse, Storm Kings Thunder and Tales from the Yawning Portal. Mordenkainens will come as well.

Some oddities, though: still no digital content. The revised Tyranny of Dragons is not included, the translations (as it currently stands) will be of the two original books. The reasoning behind that is a mystery to me. The Essentials Kit is also not included currently, neither are the other boxes.

It seems that the prices for older books are on the rise, judging from what is offered on ebay. Asking prices of some german 3e books are sharply increasing recently, with some being offered for 80 - 120 Euro. I was used to pay 30-50, with some maybe up to 70-80. Of course, asking price is not a sale, but still.  I guess the success of 5e might be a reason why demand is rising. (Just bought a "Magie Faeruns" aks "Magic of Faerun" from the 3e era for just below 40 Euro, the book being VF/NM IMO. That is ok for me. And I got German 4e complete - all three books  :)  The Players Handbook was a bit more difficult to get, the other two seem to be in good supply still)

PreviousNext