The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:05 am 

stebehil wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:
Just today, I got an E-Mail from Uwe Siebel. Apparently, he wants to sell his collection, and sets up a webshop for this purpose. He thinks that this will take months of even years to complete. He sent out an E-Mail to all folks he had contact with in the past (he writes "in the 90ies", but I think it might have been later). So, I guess this will be an expensive time to come...

Wow! My BECMI and 1st edition collections are probably about 90% complete because of Uwe. I'm sure he's got plenty of 2E stuff that might still be of interest though....

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:20 am 

blackdougal wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:.

Some time ago, probably between 10-15 years, I was buying a LOT of German stuff, mostly from Uwe Siebel.  

Just today, I got an E-Mail from Uwe Siebel. Apparently, he wants to sell his collection, and sets up a webshop for this purpose. He thinks that this will take months of even years to complete. He sent out an E-Mail to all folks he had contact with in the past (he writes "in the 90ies", but I think it might have been later). So, I guess this will be an expensive time to come...

Could you pls provide me with Uwe's email?  I d really like to be in loop for this huge sale!

Thanks a lot and ciaoo

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:10 pm 

This is the page, at the moment still empty: RPG Treasures
The E-Mail address he sent this from is info(a)rpg-treasures.com

He wrote the following text:

"Hello,

we were in touch in the 90s when we shared our hobby of fantasy role-playing games. During the decades a huge treasure cove has piled up here which I now want to reduce step by step.

To offer all the rulebooks, adventures, novels, boardgames, accessories, miniatures, magazines, art prints and more - including many rarirties and unique collector's items - and much more step by step I have decided to build an own web shop names "RPG Treasures". The focus will be on D&D/AD&D up to 3rd Edition, but also contains other RPG systems. I am very glad that Larry Elmore has agreed that I may use his illustrations for my shop design.

Since it is going to take months or even years to list all items in the shop i will inform about new entries with the help of an e-mail newsletter. If you still play actively or collect fantasy RPG i would like to invite you to subscribe to my mailing list, and i will inform you as soon as I get started.

If you are no longer interested in this hobby you actually dont have to react in any way - this is the only mail I am going to write you based on our old contact, if you don't subscribe. You can also unsubscribe at any later point again very easily if you want to be removed from my list again.

I hope we'll stay in touch!"

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:29 am 

Hello guys,

I learnt a lot reading this thread. So thanks for sharing.

I have a little blog on D&D non-gaming accessories (mainly comics but also a list of published jigsaw puzzles).
I am now looking for info on D&D jigsaw puzzles issued by FSV.
I can t find any clue on the web despite long hours of search.
I only own a bad quality photo of 2 puzzles from this manufacturer proving their existence.

pinterest.fr/kuronons/kuronons-dd-jigsa ... le-verlag/

So, if by any hazard, any of you has some info, clue on this very topic, I d be very glad to be in the loop.

Thanks very much in advance !

Kuronons
https://kuronons.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Kuronons on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 pm 

"Before FSV, the Schmidt Spiele company was allegedly interested in the licence, but for some reason did not obtain it"

Tho, Schmidt did issued D&D Cartoon jigsaw puzzles in 1986. (at least 2 to my actual knowledge)
pinterest.fr/kuronons/kuronons-dd-jigsa ... s/schmidt/

PS : My apologies if am bit far from original topic with the jigsaw puzzles here btw... XD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:03 pm 

For some reason, your picture of the puzzles does not get shown or linked in the forum. The direct link from the mail works.
I have never seen those puzzles made by FSV or by Schmidt Spiele. The FSV ones seem to be from the later years of the company, judging from the logo. From memory, I think they used the dragon logo from 1985 onward. Schmidt Spiele was primarily a games manufacturer, so puzzles do fit within their range. The Schmidt Spiele puzzles seem to have been made for the french market? Donjons & Dragons is the french name, right? These puzzles obviously bear images from the animated series, which dates from the early 80ies, I think. The FSV ones might be a reaction to that, as I now tend to think that Schmidt and FSV had a sharp rivalry going. But those puzzles are not a typical product for FSV or its mother company ASS. Very interesting.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:05 pm 

copycat wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:"Power, Plüsch & Plunder", a rpg in which you play an animated stuffed animal, whose mortal enemies are Ken and Barbie...)"

I have got to get that!

I bet he would find a way to ship that stuff... PP&P Neu & ... - Herzlich Willkommen im GAMES-IN Shop

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:38 pm 

In the case of the Spielleiterhandbuch, the wait was very long, and the translation partially very bad. I don´t know what happened, but it reads like being translated by an early translation software, with sentences that made no sense at all, and translations that did not fit into the context.

Are the German translations of the 1E DMG and Monster Manual also bad?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:00 am 

grubbiv wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:
In the case of the Spielleiterhandbuch, the wait was very long, and the translation partially very bad. I don´t know what happened, but it reads like being translated by an early translation software, with sentences that made no sense at all, and translations that did not fit into the context.

Are the German translations of the 1E DMG and Monster Manual also bad?

It was the translation of the DMG that had this bad translation (Maybe Spieler and Spielleiter is confusing? Spieler=Player; Spielleiter=DM). I did not compare the PH and the MM to the originals, and I did not notice any bad translation mistakes back then (did not read them for decades).

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:29 pm 

stebehil wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:For some reason, your picture of the puzzles does not get shown or linked in the forum. The direct link from the mail works.
I have never seen those puzzles made by FSV or by Schmidt Spiele. The FSV ones seem to be from the later years of the company, judging from the logo. From memory, I think they used the dragon logo from 1985 onward. Schmidt Spiele was primarily a games manufacturer, so puzzles do fit within their range. The Schmidt Spiele puzzles seem to have been made for the french market? Donjons & Dragons is the french name, right? These puzzles obviously bear images from the animated series, which dates from the early 80ies, I think. The FSV ones might be a reaction to that, as I now tend to think that Schmidt and FSV had a sharp rivalry going. But those puzzles are not a typical product for FSV or its mother company ASS. Very interesting.

I replaced the pict by the link on my pinterest... no idea why the pict isn t displayed anymore (was a direct link to my google site...)

I confirm Donjons & Dragons is the french name of the licence. Tho the animation was named Le Sourire du Dragon here... mostly to avoid any controversy i suppose... D&D wasn t well understood by common people in the 80's... and to my memories, all items directly linked to the anime were using LSDD name. (like the record from the anime, a special french comic also, etc)
So the use of D&D name on the puzzle is kinda weird then... well done pointing that out...

Thanks for your fast reply. I ll dig further and keep you informed in case I find anything on this very particular subject.

Kuro

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:31 am 

Just got a delivery from Karl-Heinz Strietzel/Games-In. He sold these old FSV modules in original shrinkwrap for 13 Euro apiece, and this poster with the cover image from the german Basic Set (size according to his description 35x48 cm, roughly 13.8 x 18.9 inch) for 15 Euro. I bought two and framed one to hang on the wall. The cardboard roll they came in (original packaging) bear the FSV item number 8590/1, which fits into the general nomenclature for FSV items. Most of them have a 85xx/x, with a few having 81 or 82 or 86 instead.

I had to mail him anyways, and asked him about the puzzles Kuronons asked about - perhaps he knows something, and if the gods of collecting smile on us, might even find them in his Wondrous Warehouse.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:32 am 

Very nice!

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:16 am 

Kuronons wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:Tho, Schmidt did issued D&D Cartoon jigsaw puzzles in 1986. (at least 2 to my actual knowledge)

Well, 3 at least... found within my HD mess another pict (kinda blury one...) of a D&D animated series jigsaw puzzle by Schmidt. I uploaded it and pinterested it.

pinterest.fr/kuronons/kuronons-dd-jigsa ... s/schmidt/

Digging, digging...

O_oV

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:30 am 

Did I mention that the 5th Ed adventure hardback "Tomb of Annihilation" is available in german since May? For collectors (blackdougal, I´m looking at you  :D ), it has the title "Grabmal der Vernichtung" and has the item code 73607-G. (My copy is shrinkwrapped and will remain that way until I decide to use it, which is not likely atm)
For August, the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide is announced, Volo´s and Xanathar´s for fall, and Waterdeep 1 & 2 for winter 18/19. So far, dates are very unsure. The SCAG should have come out in July, but has been postponed. The other dates are even more prone to changes, judging from experience so far. It took almost a year from the first print PHB to the second print, with the MM and the DMG 3/4 and 1/2 year, respectively. Especially for the most essential book, the PHB, this is very bad news, as the german version was unavailable from before christmas (of all times!) to April. The starter set was finally available this February.
The backlist of adventure HCs is not scheduled for translation presently, they will focus on new material for the time being.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:16 am 

I was wanting to wait until at least two or three new items were out to save on shipping, but I'm not sure that's a good idea... I waited on the PHB and ended up getting a revised edition. So now I have to try to hunt down a first print on that one.  :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:32 am 

blackdougal wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:So now I have to try to hunt down a first print on that one.  :roll:

I might be persuaded to sell you mine, if you don´t mind it being slightly used. If you insist on getting an unused copy, that might be really hard by now. Most people won´t be able to tell the difference to begin with.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:16 pm 

blackdougal wrote in The history of german D&D/AD&D as I know it:So now I have to try to hunt down a first print on that one.  :roll:

I might be persuaded to sell you mine, if you don´t mind it being slightly used. If you insist on getting an unused copy, that might be really hard by now. Most people won´t be able to tell the difference to begin with.

Slightly used is okay with me! I'll PM you.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:36 am 

I recently had the current 5e german players handbooks side-by-side. The 1st print has the title "Spielerhandbuch - deutsche Ausgabe" printed on the spine, the 2nd print has only "Spielerhandbuch" (and the "r" is missing) on the spine. I guess it occurred to them that Spielerhandbuch is enough to signify the german edition...
My first print MM has "deutsche Ausgabe" as well, while the DMG hasn´t. It states the print run on the imprint page (is imprint the right word here?).
So, with the PH and MM, you can see at a glance if it is 1st print or not. (see picture).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PreviousNext