The BIG Taboo!
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:46 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote: So maybe I could PDF your rares? :wink: :lol: :lol:

mbassoc - I appreciate what you are doing with making archival pdfs of obscure items.

They're not "archival copies", they're "personal copies" (many/mostly of items which are then re-sold).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:21 pm 

harami2000 wrote:They're not "archival copies", they're "personal copies" (many/mostly of items which are then re-sold).

I appreciate your point, but an "archive" is just a "a place or collection containing records, documents, or other materials of historical interest", whether it's personal or municipal, private or public...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:35 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:I appreciate your point, but an "archive" is just a "a place or collection containing records, documents, or other materials of historical interest", whether it's personal or municipal, private or public...

Surely there would be less danger of "the product disappearing into history unrecorded" if those were circulated widely, rather than reserved on a single individual's PC?

(I'm also fairly certain that the .pdfs made before the items were sold-on weren't watermarked or subjected to minor edits/changes, either, in an attempt to reduce the impact on the original items).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:51 pm 

radagast wrote:
Marlith wrote:
:?: Ok I have to know. Not familiar with OB3. Can't find it on the TSR archive. Sorry for go off topic for a moment but I am just not familiar with that particular item. :oops:

Orange B3. the original edition of the "Palace of the silver princess" :D :D

Page Not Found

available for the download on

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Cheers
Giorgio

Thank you. Am familiar with the item just never have seen it referred to in that manner...or if I have I have forgotten. I am really not all that big a neophyte though I sometimes seem to fit the part  :oops:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:17 am 

Marlith wrote: I am really not all that big a neophyte though I sometimes seem to fit the part :oops:

I am a big neophyte, instead  :)  :wink:
have a nice day
Giorgio

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:05 am 

harami2000 wrote:Surely there would be less danger of "the product disappearing into history unrecorded" if those were circulated widely, rather than reserved on a single individual's PC?

Yes, of course. My use of "archival" was just in reference to mbassoc's *personal* archival copies. My understanding is that he won't distribute them because of copyright. But the copyright will eventually expire, and in my opinion it's a good idea to make scans now before the items age any further.

harami2000 wrote:(I'm also fairly certain that the .pdfs made before the items were sold-on weren't watermarked or subjected to minor edits/changes, either, in an attempt to reduce the impact on the original items).

No argument here. I'd certainly be in favor of watermarking pdfs. In fact, I think all of the picture scans present on the Acaeum should be watermarked to reduce use on Ebay. Of course it would be a lot of work.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:20 am 

zhowar1 wrote:Yes, of course. My use of "archival" was just in reference to mbassoc's *personal* archival copies. My understanding is that he won't distribute them because of copyright. But the copyright will eventually expire, and in my opinion it's a good idea to make scans now before the items age any further.

I think that you probably missed David's original point. It is still a copyright violation to buy something, make a personal copy for yourself and the sell off the original. :)

harami2000 wrote:They're not "archival copies", they're "personal copies" (many/mostly of items which are then re-sold).

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:26 am 

bclarkie wrote:
I think that you probably missed David's original point. It is still a copyright violation to buy something, make a personal copy for yourself and the sell off the original. :)

No, I just chose not to respond to it. I understand that it is a copyright violation, but that does not personally bother me any more than when I was in college and there was lots of cassette copying of other cassettes and CDs.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:05 pm 

I do make PDF copies and resell the originals. I don't have the money to expand my collection, and even reselling what I'm archiving, I lose the money I pay in shipping which is fairly high. Most of my stuff I pay to ship in from the States.

But I still feel that creating PDF versions of the obscure and bazaar is a worthwhile cause, inspite of the clear legal issues and not so clear moral issue.

ATM the Massconfussion modules crop up 3 or 4 times a year and falls within most peoples budgets. This will not always be the case. Calthonwey has popped up twice IIRC, and there are a whole raft of non-TSR modules and accessories that have only appeared on eBay once in the past 12 months.

I undertook this project as a medium term thing. Something I'd spend about 5 years doing. Someone has to archive them all before they disappear from general circulation.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:35 pm 

The $1000+ collectables are already beyond the reach of many, but one might say that if you really want to read one, you can bide your time and borrow or buy one for the reading.

There will come a time when certain items slip out of public view. Into collections that do not get broken up and sold on eBay. Like rare recordings or paintings, these items were intended for everyone to enjoy. PDFs allow this to happen. They bring the elite collectable to the people they were intended for. The players.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Previous