Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:04 am 

Fraud.  Lot of scams, especially this time of the year.  Editorjan_1 has zero feedback and is an unknown seller on eBay, possibly even new on PayPal.

One would hope they would be auditing/checking these types of transactions.  Accounts get highjacked all the time or bogus ones are created.  No offense intended editorjan_1, but this should have set off alarm bells somewhere.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:13 am 

A little more info from a poster over in the RPG Lobby on FB:

"I spoke with the buyer. One of the first ever home brewed campaign settings was included as part of the sale. A teacher had used this true first printing (one of the first thousand boxed sets) to run a series of games at his school that taught math and logistics. All of the notes, and a book the school kids had written about their adventures was included."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:49 am 

lordan wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:A little more info from a poster over in the RPG Lobby on FB:

"I spoke with the buyer. One of the first ever home brewed campaign settings was included as part of the sale. A teacher had used this true first printing (one of the first thousand boxed sets) to run a series of games at his school that taught math and logistics. All of the notes, and a book the school kids had written about their adventures was included."

That makes me even more curious about the other materials included with the 1st woody! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:41 am 

Janice (the seller) has been posting about the sale and the items she included. She was not able to figure out how to post photos of the stories that students wrote that was included in the box. She did email me copies of the photos, and if she gives permission, I can upload them here.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:02 pm 

aia wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:
Kosh Vorlontay wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:
Sorry, did not know that "He who will not be named...." has the bann hammer on everything related to Him

Sorry prb i miss some relevant info...  Whom are we talking about?  Is the Coug.?

Yes it was.....

He has an auction listing with like 30 items in a dropdown menu and a woody is listed . Unknown if sold....
But the auction itself alludes to the woody in the title:
TSR ORIGINAL DUNGEONS & DRAGONS D&D BOXED SETS BOOKS WOODGRAIN GYGAX ARNESON VGC
with picture shown and with a by it now list of GBP 55
dropdown and select shows it listed at GBP 6k

Kinda misleading to me but...... been a while

Still a rambling, broken, mushmouth mess of a description....

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:33 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:
beasterbrook wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:another 2nd ed hit.. with expectations,,

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Lol, you beat me to it......

I do find it funny that they are charging shipping... for that price, I would hand deliver it to the winner

sounds like the seller has $10k in moving expenses when you read the writeup about this!

I'm very loathe to part with my old friend but the moving expenses are adding up quickly

instead of a shipping charge maybe the moving truck can just do a delivery dropoff on this :idea:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:34 pm 

MadCatUSA wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:Janice (the seller) has been posting about the sale and the items she included. She was not able to figure out how to post photos of the stories that students wrote that was included in the box. She did email me copies of the photos, and if she gives permission, I can upload them here.

where are those posts at, on fb?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:29 pm 

misterspock wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:
MadCatUSA wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:Janice (the seller) has been posting about the sale and the items she included. She was not able to figure out how to post photos of the stories that students wrote that was included in the box. She did email me copies of the photos, and if she gives permission, I can upload them here.

where are those posts at, on fb?

Mostly over on Frank's page (Where Janice even posted stuff) and in the RPG Auctions - Lobby (more generalized conversation)...there were some other places but can't recall at the moment. I can dig through my activity log and see where else I commented.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:29 pm 

misterspock wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:
editorjan_1 wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:Whew! What a ride.

Just wanted to report that the piece has been delivered and the buyer has approved. Still sweating out the waiting period for the payment to be made available from PayPal, but the funds are there.

I got a call from the "eBay detectives" yesterday. They started by saying the call would be recorded. "So, can you tell us a little bit about how you came to own the piece you sold on eBay..." A friendly conversation, and they were satisfied, but I was on the hot seat for a while!

I asked permission from the buyer to announce here who they are. If they grant permission I will post it here. Again, thank you for the friendly reception and support through this adventure!

Wouldn't it have been more prudent for the payment to clear before shipping it out?
Especially if you haven't used PayPal before,  sometimes it seems like they "hold" funds when in fact it comes down to some weird verification info they want from you

The buyer paid to PayPal, and PayPal is hooked in with eBay, where the tracking number verifies when the piece was delivered and signed for. Then PayPal holds the funds for three business days, giving the buyer some additional time to back out. However, I'm happy to report that Paypal did make the funds available today. In time for the weekend!

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:53 pm 

Yes! Please feel free to post the photos here!

I'm working with the buyer to preserve as much of the history of this set as we can. Unfortunately, I didn't know Bill - the elementary school librarian who originally gave me the set - very well. It was a professional relationship; I worked for an educational program that provided career development materials to four school districts in northwestern Wisconsin, around River Falls. I believe Bill was part of a war games group "up in the cities" (Minneapolis/St. Paul) that included Dave Arneson (Bill referred to him as "Lance.") Bill was very excited about using this new game with his students, and wanted the career development folks to know about it.

Maybe someone in this community knows more about Bill. I'm sad to confess I can't remember his last name. It was 1974, and the school districts were River Falls, Ellsworth, Hudson and Prescott, Wisconsin. Bill? Are you out there?

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:02 pm 

dbartman wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:Fraud.  Lot of scams, especially this time of the year.  Editorjan_1 has zero feedback and is an unknown seller on eBay, possibly even new on PayPal.

One would hope they would be auditing/checking these types of transactions.  Accounts get highjacked all the time or bogus ones are created.  No offense intended editorjan_1, but this should have set off alarm bells somewhere.

No offense taken. I was fine with the opportunity to explain myself to the eBay folks, but it was definitely one of those phone calls that makes one sit up and pay attention.

I know it was kind of unusual, but I had thought of perhaps selling this piece in the past, but didn't know enough about the collectors' community, or about how to do things like auction and consignment. I just decided to learn about eBay and put it up myself, and hope for the best. I was very lucky to find this forum relatively early in the process, so I was able to have a way to present the situation and answer questions. Again, thanks.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:41 pm 

Jan,
Glad it worked out as it did!! It's been a crazy couple of weeks for sure...and in the end, in brought you a nice payday, the community some very interesting history, and the hobby some limelight that it deserved!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:51 pm 

editorjan_1 wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:Yes! Please feel free to post the photos here!

Attachment:
Woody1.JPG

Attachment:
Woody2.JPG

Attachment:
Woody3.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:52 pm 

Two more:
Attachment:
Woody4.JPG

Attachment:
Woody5.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:00 am 

dbartman wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:Fraud.  Lot of scams, especially this time of the year.  Editorjan_1 has zero feedback and is an unknown seller on eBay, possibly even new on PayPal.

thanks for pointing out (the now I realise) obvious reason for this;) Sometimes you forget about these obvious issues LOL

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:41 am 

Awesome. Pure game history.

D&D in the world @DNDCollecting
A quick look at the rarest, oddest, most elusive items within the Dungeons & Dragons franchise, with a special focus on obscure international (non-US) items

https://twitter.com/DNDCollecting

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:13 am 

editorjan_1 wrote in Original Dungeons & Dragons Set – Woodgrain - 1st Print:
I'm working with the buyer to preserve as much of the history of this set as we can. Unfortunately, I didn't know Bill - the elementary school librarian who originally gave me the set - very well. It was a professional relationship; I worked for an educational program that provided career development materials to four school districts in northwestern Wisconsin, around River Falls. I believe Bill was part of a war games group "up in the cities" (Minneapolis/St. Paul) that included Dave Arneson (Bill referred to him as "Lance.") Bill was very excited about using this new game with his students, and wanted the career development folks to know about it.

Maybe someone in this community knows more about Bill. I'm sad to confess I can't remember his last name. It was 1974, and the school districts were River Falls, Ellsworth, Hudson and Prescott, Wisconsin. Bill? Are you out there?

I've read elsewhere that Bill has been identified as Bill Hoyt. Update: It was in a comment by Chirine Ba Kal to a post about the auction on the Bat in the Attic blog. Here's a 2014 post on Chirine's blog where he talks about playing in a game with Bill Hoyt among others. And here's another post with a photo from Gary Con 2015 that includes Bill and other original D&D players. So Bill is still around & involved.

It looks like his students' pamphlet was mentioned in The Strategic Review #3, Fall 1975. This was the precursor to Dragon magazine. It was in the column Mapping the Dungeons, which is uncredited but probably by Gary Gygax, who was the editor:

"John Bobek and Bill Hoyt have used D&D as a teaching aid in grade school classes. Bill has a great little book of accounts of adventures and illustrations of monsters prepared by his 6th graders. Wish I'd have had such luck as a child..."

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Last edited by Zenopus on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:19 am 

One interesting detail in the rules used by Bill is that it includes a Bard class, which hadn't been published by the time of SR#3. The Bard first appeared in SR in Feb 1976.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

PreviousNext