Collecting Addictions...
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:50 am 

I found this article "A sad tale for all collectors".  Any of it sound familiar or strike close to home?  Sadly I see myself in some of the points...

http://www.pjsymes.com.au/articles/confess.htm

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:23 am 

We're probably all addicted to collecting, some more, some less. I think, most of us know their financial limits and where to draw the line. As with all addictive activities, there are always some who don't know when to stop. There is no way in preventing this.

The text contains some really stupid passages, anyway. Or is it irony? There is no "goal" in collecting, the journey is the reward! Everything else is really stupid. If as of today it became my goal to have a bigger and more expensive collection than, say Paul Stormberg's, and I'd start buying stuff and spending way more money than I should, then I'd call this a very stupid behavior (others may call it a neurosis). I think most of us are intelligent and stable enough, not to do so.

But, to some extent,  we're all addicts. It is probably a good thing to take a minute from time to time and reflect this fact.

And one thing is for sure. I won't even start thinking about hiding the money flow for my collection from my wife. (Not only is it unfair, but I also would not want to taste her revenge ...) So, I let her collect her clothes and shoes, which is OK as long as I can buy and keep my books!

Anyway, it's an interesting topic! It would be interesting to see what others think about it.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:26 am 

The Lidless Eye wrote:I found this article "A sad tale for all collectors".  Any of it sound familiar or strike close to home?  Sadly I see myself in some of the points...

http://www.pjsymes.com.au/articles/confess.htm

What a downer!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:38 am 

Actually when I read the article, I found it rather funny and tongue-in-cheek.  However, it does present an opportunity to think about collecting in a different light.  I think like anything collecting can be an addiction.  I know I have collected many things in my life as I have gone through different phases.  I collected coins when I was younger, transitioned out of that to collecting CCGs, left that field and collected D&D.  Whenever, I stop collecting one thing, I tend to find something else to collect.

When I collect, I try and establish goals and then try and complete my collection.  The addiction is the fun of trying to find the item, the thrill of the hunt.  Who hasn't dreamed of going to a garage sale and finding a box of <insert collectible here> for $1.  

Anyway, just a fun article I thought people might enjoy.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:44 am 

My wife likes to collect as well, she has a massive star wars book and memorablilia collection as well as thousands of miniatures.  I have reduced the money I spend on collecting when real life issues come up.  Maybe I am addicted but my life would be left unhole if a stopped.  Collecting does not cause accidents or kill people.  I just think of all the money that is spent on Alcohol, Ciggarettes and Drugs and then I feel no guilt.  At least I have something to show for the money I spend. :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:56 am 

I think Ralf hit it right on the button there. I also think everyone collects something to some degree in 1 form or another....they prb are not even aware of it sometimes.

but yea, the journey and the fun in finding it is the thing. example: i read a book waaaaaaaaaay back called "Hobgoblin"(1981 ish)....nothing special, but i really liked it. once read, i gave it back to the friend i borrowed it from and that was that. several years later, i decided i wanted to get hold of it for my book collection....it was deleted/OOP and damn hard to find. so the quest started. i always kept my eye out but no luck wherever i went. THEN, i was at the Reading Rock Festival in 1994, having a great time, and one morning i decided to walk into Reading and have a look around the local market, and lo and behold, i found it, in VERY good condition for £1...i was TOTALLY over the moon.

but that is how it is isnt it? I actually feel sorry for ppl who DONT have that passion for things. I have many instances like that with many things and it just makes life a lot of fun searching....to me, its like having an extra something to live for, because one day, i WILL find it no matter what....

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:23 pm 

PLEASE  tell me your joking.  That book was cool, I read it when I was younger, the library had it I read it several times.

If it is thathard to find I now have a new Mission, Find a copy, along with my 1st print collection of Mark Twain books. OK  I am a sucker for the OLD books. Like I am still looking for a 1st print of "The Pirates Own Book."  

If anyone wants a good read and enjoys pirates it is pretty cool You can get the later prints of it easily even on Ebay. It is about real life pirates and is non fiction.  

Oh well better to be addicted to collecting, than other things. Like, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, prostitutes. Or other vices.  :D

Besides  my collection of Pocket lint is getting pretty big, I am thinking of listing it on Ebay. It helps to never have money because you spend it on everything else. That makes the collection grow REALLY fast.

Bruce Thibodeau

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:53 pm 

I loved that book . . . . For those of you who don't know what we're talking about

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... eName=WD1V

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:54 pm 

Gee thanks tsrart, after al its not like I needed to spend even more money.  Geesh  :D   No really thanks Now I don't have to look to hard for it.

Bruce Thibodeau

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:03 pm 

LOL - you're most welcome!

Actually, these days, most average books aren't that hard to find. Between eBay and ABE, you can get just about anything pretty readily. When I was a kid, I was enthralled with this huge tome called "Venomous Animals of the World." I checked it out of the library constantly. Several years ago, I thought about it and thought it would be a hoot to get it back again to see - took me all of five minutes to find several copies on ABE.

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:38 am 

I collect knowlage like I collect things. I buy books for the hell of it and then I read them. but I keep them for reference so my friends can read them too, but some books I out grow so I give them to others. then I ask them the moral of the storie. ............
I have few friends........... but they love me.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:25 pm 

Knowlage?..........

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:31 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Knowlage?..........
:lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:32 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Knowlage?..........

Yea, you know kind of like knowlage frum speling buuks. :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:12 am 

sorry, my spelling is not so good. I have no use for lauange. I like to tell the stories. my mother is gia and my father is hitler. I wright as an outlet. I loved all the books and movies and then I lived them. I am a charactor. I am ever changing. like all the fine art. they were made by mad men. and left unnoticed untill they passed on. that is what happend to kurt. he found his nervana and it was too sad for him to live. well....... I am the one who sees I live your suffering. I hear your music and feel it. not so I can "be normal" so I can feel......... I am deloris raphiella farantti, I am byrdi may, I am a sea turttle with wings. I manifest destiny. I need you all to help me I know the rest of the wheel of time. I live the many neverending story. I dont see the words I see the point.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:39 am 

eyeofmarlith wrote:sorry, my spelling is not so good. I have no use for lauange. I like to tell the stories. my mother is gia and my father is hitler. I wright as an outlet. I loved all the books and movies and then I lived them. I am a charactor. I am ever changing. like all the fine art. they were made by mad men. and left unnoticed untill they passed on. that is what happend to kurt. he found his nervana and it was too sad for him to live. well....... I am the one who sees I live your suffering. I hear your music and feel it. not so I can "be normal" so I can feel......... I am deloris raphiella farantti, I am byrdi may, I am a sea turttle with wings. I manifest destiny. I need you all to help me I know the rest of the wheel of time. I live the many neverending story. I dont see the words I see the point.

You need to go here http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:41 am 

GamersRest[FNG] wrote:
eyeofmarlith wrote:sorry, my spelling is not so good. I have no use for lauange. I like to tell the stories. my mother is gia and my father is hitler. I wright as an outlet. I loved all the books and movies and then I lived them. I am a charactor. I am ever changing. like all the fine art. they were made by mad men. and left unnoticed untill they passed on. that is what happend to kurt. he found his nervana and it was too sad for him to live. well....... I am the one who sees I live your suffering. I hear your music and feel it. not so I can "be normal" so I can feel......... I am deloris raphiella farantti, I am byrdi may, I am a sea turttle with wings. I manifest destiny. I need you all to help me I know the rest of the wheel of time. I live the many neverending story. I dont see the words I see the point.

You need to go here http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php.

noooo i think here http://www.allthemuppetsoftheworldgohere.com :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:40 am 

eyeofmarlith wrote:my mother is gia and my father is hitler <snip> I am deloris raphiella farantti, I am byrdi may, I am a sea turttle with wings. I manifest destiny. I need you all to help me I know the rest of the wheel of time. I live the many neverending story. I dont see the words I see the point.

And I'm a little worried about you...

:)

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Next